|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Before she dies, Daisy spends hours doing what?
2. Why does another writer take over Daisy's column?
3. One of Daisy's girlhood friends is named what?
4. Who disappears, after Cuyler's death?
5. What did Cuyler die from?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do you feel Daisy's bridge group symbolizes?
2. What is the overall feeling that you get from everyone's opinion of the source of Daisy's depression?
3. Who is Skoot Skutari and how does he relate to the story?
4. How does stone play a role in chapter ten?
5. Describe Daisy's attitude, in chapter eight, surrounding Victoria and Lewis' courtship and finding Magnus Flett
6. In what negative way is the image of stone used in chapter eight?
7. Describe how Daisy deals with people in chapter nine.
8. What interesting thing does Daisy foresee her children learning about for the first time after she is gone?
9. Based on everything you've read up to the end of chapter nine, do you feel that Daisy was a good wife and mother?
10. What seemingly strange behavior does Cuyler exhibit on the day of his death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose any one of the following characters from the story and explain their role in the book. When and how were they introduced? How did they evolve as the story progressed? Also, what, if anything, do you think they symbolize and why? Be sure to use several examples from the book to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
In the beginning of the book, Daisy seems to have a view that women are more or less destined to lead ordinary and boring lives and are meant to somehow suffer. Describe, in detail, whether or not you agree with that opinion and what your reasons are. Be sure to use examples from both the book and your own life experiences in your answer. Also, explain how you think Daisy's view of the role of women changed throughout the book.
Essay Topic 3
There is a conflict between Daisy and her daughter, Alice. Alice feels that Daisy is inferior in some way. Using examples from the story, describe whether or not you agree with Alice and the reasons behind your choice. Also, explain why you think that adult children often feel superior to their parents.
This section contains 935 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)