|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Daisy's mother grow up?
2. What is the name of the town Cuyler and Daisy are going to?
3. What did Daisy's father do in memory of Daisy's mother?
4. Daisy learns to use her imagination and imagine what?
5. While on her trip, Daisy plans to meet up with whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the opening of chapter three.
2. Do you feel that it was fair for Cuyler to give Daisy to Mrs. Flett?
3. Why do you think that Daisy and her family are restless, in chapter five?
4. How does stone play a role in chapter five?
5. Who has more control in the Goodwill's relationship?
6. What was Mercy's background?
7. What is Barker's reaction to Daisy's wedding?
8. In chapter five, Daisy doesn't seem to talk about any major events for once. What do the sudden change in feel and attitude in chapter five indicate?
9. Does Cuyler love his daughter?
10. Describe Cuyler Goodwill.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is a conflict between Daisy and her daughter, Alice. Alice feels that Daisy is inferior in some way. Using examples from the story, describe whether or not you agree with Alice and the reasons behind your choice. Also, explain why you think that adult children often feel superior to their parents.
Essay Topic 2
Part 1: Choose and explain in detail at least three places in the story where stone was used to symbolize something positive.
Part 2: Choose and explain in detail at least three places in the story where stone was used to symbolize something negative.
Part 3: What do you think the author was trying to accomplish by using the over all symbolism of stone throughout the story?
Essay Topic 3
After Daisy's first husband dies, Daisy marries Barker Flett, whom she used to refer to as "Uncle Barker".
Part 1: Describe, in detail, how the relationship between Daisy and Barker Flett developed, as the book progressed.
Part 2: Explain whether or not you think their relationship was good or bad and the reasons for your choice.
Part 3: Do you feel like Daisy wanted to marry Barker specifically, or just wanted to be somebody's wife, regardless of who that person was? Use examples from the story to back up your reasoning.
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)