|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Daisy has kept herself busy with which two sports?
2. While on her trip, Daisy plans to meet up with whom?
3. What is the first name of Daisy's friend who visits in chapter five?
4. What is the name of the town that Daisy's parents live in at the start of the book?
5. What state is Cuyler traveling to to find work?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you feel that it was fair for Cuyler to give Daisy to Mrs. Flett?
2. Should Cuyler have married his second wife, Maria?
3. What is the focus of chapter five, as far as Daisy is concerned?
4. How have Barker's feelings for his father seemed to change in chapter five?
5. Is Mercy a good wife?
6. How does stone play a role in chapter five?
7. How do you feel about the layout of the book so far, particularly the large time gaps between chapters?
8. Describe the circumstances surrounding Daisy's birth.
9. Describe the opening of chapter three.
10. How do Daisy's various illnesses influence her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the beginning of the book, Daisy seems to have a view that women are more or less destined to lead ordinary and boring lives and are meant to somehow suffer. Describe, in detail, whether or not you agree with that opinion and what your reasons are. Be sure to use examples from both the book and your own life experiences in your answer. Also, explain how you think Daisy's view of the role of women changed throughout the book.
Essay Topic 2
It's clear that Daisy's imagination plays a key role in the story. Choose any portion of the book that you feel was mostly built on Daisy's own imaginings and describe why you feel that way. Then, describe how you feel that part of the book might have actually happened, without Daisy's embellishments. Also, using an example from your own life, explain how you think embellishing a situation or "spinning the facts" can be good or bad.
Essay Topic 3
Daisy had very bad luck with both relatives and friends in the book. People seemed to die or somehow abandon her for her entire life. Do you feel that Daisy had any clear allies on her side throughout the book? If so, who? If not, do you feel that, had she had an ally, anything would have changed in her life?
This section contains 875 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)