|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Cuyler constructing the pyramid?
2. Who is described as a dutiful wife?
3. Barker is preoccupied about a possible reunion with whom?
4. What is Mrs. Flett's son's name?
5. Where has Daisy been living, since her husband died?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Daisy's various illnesses influence her?
2. Does Cuyler love his daughter?
3. Who has more control in the Goodwill's relationship?
4. Has Magnus Flett forgiven his late wife in chapter three? What actions of Magnus' support that opinion?
5. Do you feel that it was fair for Cuyler to give Daisy to Mrs. Flett?
6. Describe Daisy's change of residence when she turns eleven.
7. Do you think that Daisy made the right choice in marrying her second husband, Barker Flett?
8. What do you think the purpose of Magnus Flett's trip to the Orkney Islands was, and did he fulfill that purpose?
9. How does stone play a role in chapter five?
10. What is the focus of chapter five, as far as Daisy is concerned?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Part 1: Choose and explain in detail at least three places in the story where stone was used to symbolize something positive.
Part 2: Choose and explain in detail at least three places in the story where stone was used to symbolize something negative.
Part 3: What do you think the author was trying to accomplish by using the over all symbolism of stone throughout the story?
Essay Topic 2
After Daisy's first husband dies, Daisy marries Barker Flett, whom she used to refer to as "Uncle Barker".
Part 1: Describe, in detail, how the relationship between Daisy and Barker Flett developed, as the book progressed.
Part 2: Explain whether or not you think their relationship was good or bad and the reasons for your choice.
Part 3: Do you feel like Daisy wanted to marry Barker specifically, or just wanted to be somebody's wife, regardless of who that person was? Use examples from the story to back up your reasoning.
Essay Topic 3
All of Daisy's family members and friends volunteer possible reasons for Daisy's depression at some point. Explain, in detail, what your own opinion is on the reason that Daisy falls into a depression. Also, if you concur with one or more of Daisy's friends and family members, list which people you agree with and use examples from the story to illustrate why you agree with those people.
This section contains 898 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)