• Chapter 1, titled Birth, 1905, introduces Daisy Goodwill's parents, their backgrounds, and the circumstances of Daisy's birth.
• Daisy's mother, Mercy Stone Goodwill, who grew up in an orphanage, is an obese, childlike woman who takes pleasure in food, cooking, and little else.
• The Goodwills live in a small village called Tyndall in Manitoba, Canada and live a simple life.
• Mercy's husband Cuyler, works at a quarry.
• Mercy is confused by the adulation and sexual passion of her husband, but is a dutiful wife, taking part in all of her wifely duties without complaint.
• Cuyler is empowered by the love he feels for his immense wife, having never known love in his childhood.
• One day, while preparing dinner, Mercy is taken with sudden pains that are far worse than the indigestion she has been feeling all spring.
• A local peddler, a neighbor named Mrs. Flett, and Daisy's father all...
This section contains 2,346 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)