|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Bernard feel about TNT?
2. What does Leigh-Cheri learn when she goes into the Pioneer bar?
3. For what magazine does Reed Jarvis write?
4. What is King Max arranging for when his daughter returns home?
5. What does the typewriter's intimidation cause the writer to consider?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Leigh-Cheri described by the local media?
2. Who is the person that insults Leigh-Cheri while she is already upset over the bombing that ruined the Care Fest? What does that person say?
3. What is the Geo-Therapy Care Fest?
4. In what way does the writer begin Chapter Eighteen?
5. What problem does the writer seem to have with his new typewriter?
6. What groups, many of which make their home on Maui, want to participate in the Care Fest and why?
7. What happens when a writer publishes an open letter to Bernard calling him a victim of the Vietnam War?
8. As her plane lands in Maui, what thoughts does Leigh-Cheri have about herself?
9. What goes wrong with the conference in Chapter Thirty-Six?
10. What symbolism is there in Leigh-Cheri using the attic for her escape?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
After the explosion when Leigh-Cheri and Bernard were together again, what did they remember about their time after the blast? Was it a dream? Did it really happen? How can it be explained?
Essay Topic 2
What happened when word got out about Leigh-Cheri's symbolic act of her self-imposed imprisonment in her attic? Was this an act of protest over his being arrested or unity in support of the man she loves? What was the action supposed to prove? What was Bernard's reaction to it? Why? Shouldn't he have been honored that she loved him so much to do what she did, instead returning to life as normal?
Essay Topic 3
The story speaks about a large number of UFO sightings in Hawaii, in particular Maui. It also discusses the "Red Beards" of South and Central America and Mexico. Consider the discussion Leigh-Cheri and Bernard have about these subjects. What are their feelings about UFOs, aliens and Red Beards? Do they believe in them? This is a work of fiction, however, much of fiction is based on fact. Research each of these topics and note what you learn. Were any of these topics based on factual information?
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)