|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the surgeon use to open H's chest?
(a) A knife.
(b) A laser.
(c) A saw.
(d) A cauterizing wand.
2. What replaces water in tissue in plastination?
3. What did Robert White have some success with?
(a) Transplanting dog hearts.
(b) Transplanting dog heads.
(c) Transplanting monkey heads.
(d) Transplanting human heads.
4. When was the first crematory built?
5. What is the advantage of water reduction?
(a) Faster and less resource intensive than burial.
(b) Cheaper and cleaner than cremation.
(c) Fewer environmental consequences than cremation.
(d) Ability to dissolve large animal bodies quickly.
6. How does Mary Roach describe plasticized organs?
(d) Strangely textured.
7. What was Frederick Zugibe's conclusion?
(a) That the original stream was not from Christ repositioning himself.
(b) That the Shroud was a forgery.
(c) That the second stream was from washing a wound.
(d) That the stains were not authentic.
8. How did Barbet test his theory?
(a) By strapping volunteers to crosses.
(b) By laying Shrouds over a number of cadavers.
(c) By crucifying a cadaver.
(d) By hanging weights on cadavers on crosses.
9. What did Dr. Barbet believe caused the formations he was interested in?
(a) Christ repositioning himself on the cross.
(b) The wound in Christ's side.
(c) The process of taking Christ down from the cross.
(d) The shroud being used for another purpose after Christ's crucifixion.
10. Where did blood or body parts come from when they were sold for medicinal purposes?
(c) Family members.
11. What are brains in brain banks kept in?
(a) Freezer bags.
12. How does Mary Roach characterize the brain?
(a) As the heart of the soul.
(b) As the location of the soul.
(c) As the seat of consciousness.
(d) As the last thing to die.
13. What did Jean Baptiste Vincent Laborde attempt?
(a) Electrifying severed heads.
(b) Making a severed head blink.
(c) Infusing blood into severed heads.
(d) Measuring the decrease of electrical activity in a severed head.
14. What, in Robert White's experience, slows cellular damage to the dead brain?
15. What was Destot's space?
(a) The space between a person and their clothes, which allows them to lose their clothing in an airline disaster.
(b) The place in the wrist where a nail could support a person's weight.
(c) The area around the facial features in the Shroud of Turin.
(d) The space from which a person's last gasp comes when crucified.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the original advantage of cremation when it was first advocated?
2. What did attempts to determine death typically entail, before modern science?
3. What does Hugh Patterson of UCSF say about having arranged to donate his body to science?
4. What is a mellified man?
5. What did Frederick Zugibe say about Dr. Pierre Barbet's work?
This section contains 535 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)