|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hugh Patterson of UCSF say about having arranged to donate his body to science?
(a) He will live in more people's memories.
(b) He will keep teaching in death.
(c) He will extend his contribution to humanity a little longer.
(d) He will get the most mileage out of his body.
2. How does Mary Roach describe plasticized organs?
(a) Strangely textured.
3. What was surprise supposed to have done to a body before death?
(a) Drive out demons.
(b) Activate the spirit.
(c) Purge the spirit.
(d) Concentrate the spirits.
4. What was Barbet skeptical about?
(a) The blood patterns on the Shroud of Turin.
(b) The notion that crucifixion kills a man by asphyxiation.
(c) The ability of a crucified person to reposition himself.
(d) The weight-bearing ability of a nail through the palm.
5. What, in Robert White's experience, slows cellular damage to the dead brain?
6. What did Mary Roach struggle with when she saw H?
(a) Sadness over H's death.
(b) The fact that she had been murdered.
(c) The fact that she was being used for parts.
(d) The notion that she was dead.
7. What does Mary Roach say funeral reform was driven by?
(a) Big business.
(b) Government regulation.
8. When were mummies used medicinally?
(a) 4th - 8th centuries AD.
(b) 8th - 12th centuries AD.
(c) 16th - 18th centuries AD.
(d) 8th - 6th centuries BCE.
9. What fear did people have before modern science clarified brain death?
(a) Being buried alive.
(b) Being used in ballistics tests.
(c) Having limbs and organs removed.
(d) Being used for scientific experimentation.
10. What is the result of water reduction?
(a) Sterile liquid.
(b) Preserved tissue.
(c) Tissue that does not decompose quickly.
(d) Shorter periods of bloat in decomposition.
11. What did Dr. Barbet believe caused the formations he was interested in?
(a) The wound in Christ's side.
(b) Christ repositioning himself on the cross.
(c) The shroud being used for another purpose after Christ's crucifixion.
(d) The process of taking Christ down from the cross.
12. Who ended the belief in severed head consciousness?
(b) Dr. Joseph Ignace Guillotin.
(d) George Martin.
13. What did Dr. Duncan McDougal try to measure?
(a) The moment when the soul leaves the body.
(b) The weight of the soul.
(c) The smell of the soul.
(d) The shape and color of the soul.
14. What kind of properties does Mary Roach say menstrual blood was thought to have?
15. What are brains in brain banks kept in?
(d) Freezer bags.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was the first crematory built?
2. What does Mary Roach decide about disposing of her remains?
3. What had American Philip Backman developed a technique for?
4. What is a mellified man used for?
5. What did attempts to determine death typically entail, before modern science?
This section contains 491 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)