|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is at the center of the star on the flag?
2. What is the 'tar jungle?'
3. What time of year has the highest competition for rental housing?
4. What is yogurt?
5. What have 'yippies' been doing at supermarkets since their inception?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened in the People's Park in Berkeley, 1969?
2. How can the mass power of people be used to disrupt utilities and government?
3. How should injuries be dealt with during a demonstration, protest, or riot?
4. What should the publishers of radical high school newspapers be aware of?
5. How can television transmissions be hijacked?
6. What does Hoffman recommend for free entertainment?
7. How does Hoffman tell readers they should view the government and participate in the democratic process?
8. What does Hoffman say about advertising?
9. What would you like to see changed in America? Are any of the changes you would like to see similar to those that Hoffman would want?
10. How does Hoffman attempt to justify stealing at supermarkets? Do you agree with him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on the topic of authority. Be sure to address:
1) Forms of authority.
2) Common attitudes towards authority, and hypotheses on why these attitudes exist.
3) The role of authority in a modern society.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on what you feel is the most important political demonstration/protest in American history. Be sure to address:
1) The goal of the demonstration.
2) A timeline of what happened at the demonstration.
3) How the event has influenced history and America as a nation.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on the topic of recreational drugs, focusing on those mentioned by Hoffman in STEAL THIS BOOK. Be sure to address:
1) Issues surrounding the use and sale of drugs.
2) Issues with the prohibition of these drugs.
3) How you feel about the current state of narcotics laws in America.
This section contains 1,834 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)