|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On credit cards, what is the letter code for 1970?
2. What should every movement have?
3. What should you leave for the waiter or waitress after stealing from a restaurant?
4. What is the best source of information in a hip community?
5. What can be used as fake marijuana?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hoffman recommend for free food in LIBERATE?
2. What kind of person was Abbie Hoffman? Was he a villain, a hero, or neither?
3. Describe the explosive process of a concussion bomb or similar explosive device.
4. How have politics and mainstream society changed since Hoffman's day?
5. What programs existed at the time of writing for distributing food to the poor? What criticism does he have for the way these programs were implemented?
6. What advice does Hoffman have for hitchhikers?
7. What do you think the New Nation described by Hoffman would look like? Is it possible to achieve?
8. Why were the 1960's such an important time in the cultural history of the world?
9. What does Hoffman recommend about communication from the underground?
10. How does Hoffman describe those who would follow his advice? Do you think he takes his advice seriously?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on the topic of authority. Be sure to address:
1) Forms of authority.
2) Common attitudes towards authority, and hypotheses on why these attitudes exist.
3) The role of authority in a modern society.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay describing a modern version of STEAL THIS BOOK. Be sure to address:
1) Sections of the original that would no longer be relevant.
2) Important additions to a new version based on emerging technology and trends.
3) Political issues of the day that Hoffman would want to deal with.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on the topic of social welfare and the social safety net, making an argument for or against expansion of government spending on social programs. Be sure to use both logical, moral, and cited/researched arguments in your paper.
This section contains 1,331 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)