|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What should you do to all your cans before going to the cashier?
2. What can be used as fake marijuana?
3. What is the best source of information in a hip community?
4. What does Hoffman recommend as the best method of birth control?
5. What type of vehicle is easier to hitch a ride on at night?
Short Essay Questions
1. Has reading STEAL THIS BOOK changed your view of politics and the democratic system?
2. How do you feel about Abbie Hoffman's politics?
3. What would you like to see changed in America? Are any of the changes you would like to see similar to those that Hoffman would want?
4. What should the publishers of radical high school newspapers be aware of?
5. What would happen if everyone followed the advice of STEAL THIS BOOK? What contradictions have you noticed?
6. According to Hoffman, what is the best way to steal? Is this still true today?
7. What does Hoffman say about establishing communes? What are some common sources of problems?
8. What do you feel is the role of the state in providing for its people? How is this issue dealt with in STEAL THIS BOOK?
9. How does Hoffman feel about the use of violence for achieving political goals?
10. What does Hoffman say about the importance of a printing press? Why is it so important?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Research and write an essay on Abbie Hoffman's New Nation, addressing:
1) How the Nation would be established.
2) Pros and cons of the New Nation.
3) Barriers to achieving the New Nation.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay describing the political beliefs of Abbie Hoffman, based on evidence from STEAL THIS BOOK and your own research. Be sure to address:
1) Key complaints that Hoffman had with the political system of his day.
2) What Hoffman's 'ideal system' might look like.
3) Similarities and differences between your beliefs and those of Abbie Hoffman.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay describing the hypothetical life of someone who followed the advice in STEAL THIS BOOK literally, tracing their struggle from ordinary beginning towards an increasingly criminal life of social rebellion.
This section contains 2,111 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)