|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many commercials is the average Amerikan exposed to every day?
2. How much money did the hijacker ask for when he 'got greedy?'
3. What is farmland measured in?
4. Who's Register of Companies, Directors and Executives does Hoffman recommend?
5. What is yogurt?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the main themes of STEAL THIS BOOK?
2. What kind of person was Abbie Hoffman? Was he a villain, a hero, or neither?
3. What do you feel is the role of the state in providing for its people? How is this issue dealt with in STEAL THIS BOOK?
4. What would you like to see changed in America? Are any of the changes you would like to see similar to those that Hoffman would want?
5. What advice does Hoffman give for getting welfare benefits?
6. What programs existed at the time of writing for distributing food to the poor? What criticism does he have for the way these programs were implemented?
7. What does Hoffman recommend for free entertainment?
8. How does Hoffman attempt to justify stealing at supermarkets? Do you agree with him?
9. Do you think that the publication of STEAL THIS BOOK was ultimately a positive or negative event in the history of freedom of expression?
10. Describe the 'general bomb strategy' recommended by Hoffman.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on the life and times of Abbie Hoffman. Be sure to include:
1) Important moments in Hoffman's life.
2) Hoffman's greatest (or worst) accomplishments.
3) The legacy of Abbie Hoffman.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay topic of your choosing, based on the theme of democracy. The essay can focus on a specific aspect of democracy, deal with the functioning of the system as a whole, and so on.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on the topic of propaganda. Be sure to address:
1) The definition of propaganda.
2) The role (if any) of propaganda in a modern society.
3) The prevalence of propaganda.
This section contains 1,218 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)