|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What characteristic of subway system cards is it important to note?
2. What number size of brass washer doubles as a dime?
3. What is at the center of the star on the flag?
4. What percentage of a charity's funds go to fund the organization itself?
5. What type of strikes can be a source of free furniture?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hoffman say about advertising?
2. How does Hoffman recommend organizing for the purpose of free food? What benefits does this organization provide?
3. What would happen if everyone followed the advice of STEAL THIS BOOK? What contradictions have you noticed?
4. What are the main themes of STEAL THIS BOOK?
5. How should injuries be dealt with during a demonstration, protest, or riot?
6. What do you think the New Nation described by Hoffman would look like? Is it possible to achieve?
7. What programs existed at the time of writing for distributing food to the poor? What criticism does he have for the way these programs were implemented?
8. What should one take note of when buying a farm?
9. How can a person get free food in 'Amerika?' Do you think this advice is still valid?
10. Why were the 1960's such an important time in the cultural history of the world?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay describing the hypothetical life of someone who followed the advice in STEAL THIS BOOK literally, tracing their struggle from ordinary beginning towards an increasingly criminal life of social rebellion.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on the topic of propaganda. Be sure to address:
1) The definition of propaganda.
2) The role (if any) of propaganda in a modern society.
3) The prevalence of propaganda.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on the life and times of Abbie Hoffman. Be sure to include:
1) Important moments in Hoffman's life.
2) Hoffman's greatest (or worst) accomplishments.
3) The legacy of Abbie Hoffman.
This section contains 1,180 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)