|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did the Lee family first attempt to leave Laos?
2. What city housed the largest percentage of Hmong per area in California?
3. What helped communication between Foua and Lia's doctors?
4. Who died while the Lee's were in the refugee camp?
5. What celebration occurred during Lia's time at MCMC in Chapter 13?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the point of the txiv neeb healing ceremony in Chapter 19.
2. Explain how Neil and Peggy were drawn closer to the Lee family.
3. Describe the care of Lia by her parents in Chapter 15.
4. What is Merced, CA like in terms of its Hmong population?
5. What parts of their old life in Laos did Hmong people keep alive in their American homes?
6. Why did Nao and Foua Lee want Lia to return to Merced in Chapter 11?
7. After arriving in America, what were considered new concepts to Hmong people like the Lees?
8. How did Nao view Lia's medications in Chapter 13?
9. After the horrible journey to America, what did the Lee's expect for their children when they came to America?
10. Explain Lia's condition after she is released from the hospital under the care of her parents?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is surprising about the fact that Hmong people would seek the advice of American doctors? On what occasions do they do that? What are their thoughts on medicine?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the question on the author's mind after her experience with the Lee family that serves as the premise for the book. Be sure to talk about the clashing worlds of the Hmong culture and the medical community.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the relationship between Nao Kao and Foua Lee and Anne, the author. How does Anne's perception of the Lees change from beginning to end of the book?
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)