|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Foua rely on her children to shop at the market?
2. How many different clans existed in Merced?
3. How many surviving children did they have when they arrived in America?
4. How many days did Lia spend at Valley Children's Hospital?
5. Why was Lia transferred to a different hospital in Chapter 11?
Short Essay Questions
1. After the horrible journey to America, what did the Lee's expect for their children when they came to America?
2. Describe the care of Lia by her parents in Chapter 15.
3. Describe America's situation with Hmong immigrants.
4. What ended the Hmong's peaceful life in the mountains?
5. Explain the misunderstanding about why Lia's parents thought she was being transferred to a different hospital in Chapter 11.
6. Describe Dang Moua.
7. Why did the author conclude Lia's life was cut short?
8. Explain Lia's condition after she is released from the hospital under the care of her parents?
9. Why did Nao and Foua Lee want Lia to return to Merced in Chapter 11?
10. Explain how Neil and Peggy were drawn closer to the Lee family.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What problems does the Hmong people's importance on ancestors and tradition create when having conversations with Americans? Give two examples from the book and explain.
Essay Topic 2
What kinds of problems do the lack of cross cultural communication between doctors and the Hmong people present? Be sure to mention both verbal and nonverbal communication.
Essay Topic 3
What measures does Anne have to take in order to connect with the Lees and be able to tell their story?
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)