|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Lia returned to MCMC, who was taking care of her?
2. Who was Dang Moua?
3. What happened to the son who had leukemia?
4. After how many more years did the Lee's consider leaving again?
5. What happened on that day that Lia's doctors said they dreaded in Chapter 11?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the point of the txiv neeb healing ceremony in Chapter 19.
2. Why did the author conclude Lia's life was cut short?
3. What is Merced, CA like in terms of its Hmong population?
4. How is the importance of culture to healing being recognized on a wider basis?
5. Why did Nao and Foua Lee want Lia to return to Merced in Chapter 11?
6. After the horrible journey to America, what did the Lee's expect for their children when they came to America?
7. Explain Lia's condition after she is released from the hospital under the care of her parents?
8. Explain the hardships of the Lee family's journey to America.
9. After arriving in America, what were considered new concepts to Hmong people like the Lees?
10. What parts of their old life in Laos did Hmong people keep alive in their American homes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What importance does the history of the Hmong people, specifically the fact that doctors are not used in the culture and that the Lee family is forced to leave Laos, have to this story?
Essay Topic 2
What does the misunderstanding about Lia's hospital transfer represent? Be sure to explain it in terms of the issues in communication between Lia's parents and her doctors.
Essay Topic 3
What kinds of problems do the lack of cross cultural communication between doctors and the Hmong people present? Be sure to mention both verbal and nonverbal communication.
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)