|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the point of the txiv neeb ceremony described in Chapter 19?
2. What helped communication between Foua and Lia's doctors?
3. What did Chapter 10 say about the connection to the past life the Hmong were accustomed to?
4. What happened on that day that Lia's doctors said they dreaded in Chapter 11?
5. How much did the pig cost that mentioned in Chapter 19?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Merced, CA like in terms of its Hmong population?
2. Describe the txiv neeb healing ceremony in Chapter 19.
3. Describe Dang Moua.
4. Explain the hardships of the Lee family's journey to America.
5. Describe America's situation with Hmong immigrants.
6. After the horrible journey to America, what did the Lee's expect for their children when they came to America?
7. What parts of their old life in Laos did Hmong people keep alive in their American homes?
8. How did Nao view Lia's medications in Chapter 13?
9. Explain the misunderstanding about why Lia's parents thought she was being transferred to a different hospital in Chapter 11.
10. Why did Nao and Foua Lee want Lia to return to Merced in Chapter 11?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the root of the contention between the Chinese and the Hmong and their on again, off again relationship?
Essay Topic 2
What importance does the history of the Hmong people, specifically the fact that doctors are not used in the culture and that the Lee family is forced to leave Laos, have to this story?
Essay Topic 3
Write about the affects on Lia, her family and her clan after she is forcefully removed from her home.
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)