|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Foua carry Lia on her back in Chapter 15?
2. What helped communication between Foua and Lia's doctors?
3. Who was hit hard with what happened to Jeanine?
4. What happened to Lia's condition after she was sent home under her parent's care?
5. What did the crop mentioned in Chapter 10 require?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the importance of culture to healing being recognized on a wider basis?
2. What parts of their old life in Laos did Hmong people keep alive in their American homes?
3. Why did Nao and Foua Lee want Lia to return to Merced in Chapter 11?
4. After arriving in America, what were considered new concepts to Hmong people like the Lees?
5. Explain the hardships of the Lee family's journey to America.
6. How did Nao view Lia's medications in Chapter 13?
7. What is the point of the txiv neeb healing ceremony in Chapter 19.
8. Why did the author conclude Lia's life was cut short?
9. Describe the care of Lia by her parents in Chapter 15.
10. Who did Lia compare to her younger siblings?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the importance of the traditional burying of the placenta in the Hmong culture. What do the people believe it represents?
Essay Topic 2
Why is impaired communication particularly dangerous for the Hmong population? Explain and give a few examples noted in the book,
Essay Topic 3
What measures does Anne have to take in order to connect with the Lees and be able to tell their story?
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)