|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The area in Merced occupied by the Hmong was once known as what?
2. Why was Lia transferred to a different hospital in Chapter 11?
3. Why did most of the Hmong people come to America?
4. How many different clans existed in Merced?
5. When they arrived in America, who did the Lee's seek help from?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Merced, CA like in terms of its Hmong population?
2. Why did Nao and Foua Lee want Lia to return to Merced in Chapter 11?
3. What is the point of the txiv neeb healing ceremony in Chapter 19.
4. Explain Lia's condition after she is released from the hospital under the care of her parents?
5. Why did the author conclude Lia's life was cut short?
6. How is the importance of culture to healing being recognized on a wider basis?
7. Who did Lia compare to her younger siblings?
8. Describe America's situation with Hmong immigrants.
9. Describe Dang Moua.
10. Describe the txiv neeb healing ceremony in Chapter 19.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Neil's reasons behind his decision to file a report with Child Protective Services.
Essay Topic 2
What problems does the Hmong people's importance on ancestors and tradition create when having conversations with Americans? Give two examples from the book and explain.
Essay Topic 3
Why is impaired communication particularly dangerous for the Hmong population? Explain and give a few examples noted in the book,
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)