|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is with Foua Lee when she goes through childbirth?
2. How does the author work through the barrier in interviewing the family?
3. Why would Lia's parents place her on a soft mat on the floor when she was ready to have a seizure?
4. What is impossible to separate from the past for the Hmong people?
5. Who is Foua Lee?
Short Essay Questions
1. What powers does the Hmong culture believe that a "txiv neeb" shaman has?
2. How did Lia going to a foster home affect the rest of her clan and their perception of doctors?
3. How does the author come to know the Lee family?
4. What questions did the Hmong people have about American doctors and surgery?
5. Give an example of how the cultural barrier can lead to misinterpretations between Americans and Hmong people.
6. Explain Neil's decision to file a report with Child Protective Services.
7. What happens to a baby's placenta after in Hmong culture?
8. In Hmong tradition, how does childbirth differ from here in America?
9. What did Lia's parents think about Lia's first seizure?
10. How did Anne learn to navigate the cultural differences between her and the Lees?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is the Lee's love for Lia evident in their reaction to Lia's mental regression? What steps do they take to try and heal her?
Essay Topic 2
What is surprising about the fact that Hmong people would seek the advice of American doctors? On what occasions do they do that? What are their thoughts on medicine?
Essay Topic 3
What leads to the end of the Hmong's peaceful life in the mountains? How does their relationship with Americans contribute to this?
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)