|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In western medicine, what is "quag dab peg"?
2. Why wasn't Neil and Peggy's treatment working for Lia?
3. What was Lia doing when she hit her head severely in Chapter Nine?
4. Do the Hmong people ever seek the advice of American doctors?
5. What position do mother's use for childbirth?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Anne's colleague's reactions to her wanting to investigate the circumstances around Lia's medical care?
2. Describe what the author says in the preface about the insights the taped recordings of interviews offered.
3. What is one major difference between American doctors and a txiv neeb?
4. How do American's react to the sacrificing of animals by the Hmong?
5. What things did the Hmong people hear about American doctors that made them distrust them?
6. What happened the first time the Lee's went to the hospital with Lia?
7. What do the Lees give up in order to try to cure Lia?
8. Give an example of how the cultural barrier can lead to misinterpretations between Americans and Hmong people.
9. Describe the Lee's reaction when Lia returns home from foster care.
10. In Hmong tradition, how does childbirth differ from here in America?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the differences between American doctors and the Hmong shaman.
Essay Topic 2
Why is impaired communication particularly dangerous for the Hmong population? Explain and give a few examples noted in the book,
Essay Topic 3
Explain the importance of the traditional burying of the placenta in the Hmong culture. What do the people believe it represents?
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)