|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Anne instructed on before her visits with Lia's family?
2. Why would Lia's parents place her on a soft mat on the floor when she was ready to have a seizure?
3. How old was Lia when the significant door slamming mentioned in Chapter Three happened?
4. Who did Lia's family believe captured her spirit in Chapter Three?
5. How does the author keep records of her interviews for the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why didn't American physicians, just out of college in the 1980s, have a sense of cross cultural communication?
2. Explain Neil's decision to file a report with Child Protective Services.
3. Why did the Lees have to leave their homeland of Laos?
4. Why was it hard for doctors to pin down Lia's developmental delays?
5. What things did the Hmong people hear about American doctors that made them distrust them?
6. What is special about the red chair where Anne sat to do her interviews?
7. In Hmong tradition, how does childbirth differ from here in America?
8. What happened the first time the Lee's went to the hospital with Lia?
9. What happened after Neil filed the report with Child Protective Services?
10. Describe Neil Ernst and Peggy Philp.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the characters of Neil Ernst and Peggy Philp.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the misunderstandings and problems that occur for the Lee's when they first take Lia to Merced hospital.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the relationship between Nao Kao and Foua Lee and Anne, the author. How does Anne's perception of the Lees change from beginning to end of the book?
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)