|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened when Lia's older sibling slammed the door as mentioned in Chapter Three?
2. What were Anne's expectations about her visits with Lia's family?
3. What was another reason to file the child protective services report?
4. In Chapter Nine, who did the Lees begin to blame for Lia's condition?
5. What does Lia's family believe happened during the door slamming mentioned in Chapter Three?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Lia's parents think about Lia's first seizure?
2. What happens to a baby's placenta after in Hmong culture?
3. Who was May Ying Xiong?
4. What happened the first time the Lee's went to the hospital with Lia?
5. Why was impaired communication particularly dangerous for Hmong people?
6. Why didn't American physicians, just out of college in the 1980s, have a sense of cross cultural communication?
7. Give an example of how the Hmong are clearly tied to their past.
8. Explain what the author says is needed in order for an American, used to our fast-paced culture, to talk to a person who is Hmong.
9. What things did the Hmong people hear about American doctors that made them distrust them?
10. Describe Neil and Peggy's beliefs as doctors.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the characters of Neil Ernst and Peggy Philp.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the misunderstandings and problems that occur for the Lee's when they first take Lia to Merced hospital.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the differences between American doctors and the Hmong shaman.
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)