|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of doctor might have made the Lees more comfortable?
(a) A shaman.
(b) A Hmong doctor.
(c) Two male doctors.
(d) A female doctor.
2. How does Chapter 19 open?
(a) With Lia's death.
(b) With the family preparing for a traditional shaman healing ceremony.
(c) With Lia's 19th birthday celebration.
(d) With Neil receiving an award.
3. What did the crop mentioned in Chapter 10 require?
(a) Cool temperatures and mountain soil.
(b) Hot temperatures.
(c) Humid climate.
(d) Moist soil.
4. How many other refugees did the Lee family leave Laos with in their second attempt?
5. How are the inhabitants of Laos characterized?
(a) By what kind of house they have.
(b) By the altitude at which they live.
(c) By how they talk.
(d) By what they eat.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Lia's condition when Anne first met the Lee family?
2. What kind of life were the Hmong people accustomed to before coming to America?
3. In Merced, what kind of homes did the Hmong have?
4. How much is the txiv neeb paid in Chapter 19?
5. How much did the pig cost that mentioned in Chapter 19?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Dang Moua.
2. Describe America's situation with Hmong immigrants.
3. How is the importance of culture to healing being recognized on a wider basis?
4. How did the Hmong people show how they were accustomed to life in the mountains?
5. What parts of their old life in Laos did Hmong people keep alive in their American homes?
6. Explain the misunderstanding about why Lia's parents thought she was being transferred to a different hospital in Chapter 11.
7. After the horrible journey to America, what did the Lee's expect for their children when they came to America?
8. Why did the author conclude Lia's life was cut short?
9. Describe the care of Lia by her parents in Chapter 15.
10. Who did Lia compare to her younger siblings?
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)