|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many other refugees did the Lee family leave Laos with in their second attempt?
2. How does Chapter 19 open?
(a) With Lia's 19th birthday celebration.
(b) With Neil receiving an award.
(c) With the family preparing for a traditional shaman healing ceremony.
(d) With Lia's death.
3. How many different clans existed in Merced?
4. What was Lia's condition when Anne first met the Lee family?
(a) She was in a vegetative state.
(b) She had died.
(c) She was mostly healthy, but having seizures.
(d) She was healthy.
5. Who did the Lees believe caused Lia's illness?
(a) The clan.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened during the Lee's first attempt to leave Laos?
2. What happened on that day that Lia's doctors said they dreaded in Chapter 11?
3. What does the author say any person, when working with someone from another ethnic background, should have the responsibility of doing?
4. In 1993, what happened to Jeanine Hilt?
5. Where does the healing ceremony take place in Chapter 19?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who did Lia compare to her younger siblings?
2. What parts of their old life in Laos did Hmong people keep alive in their American homes?
3. How did Nao view Lia's medications in Chapter 13?
4. Explain the misunderstanding about why Lia's parents thought she was being transferred to a different hospital in Chapter 11.
5. Explain the hardships of the Lee family's journey to America.
6. Why did the author conclude Lia's life was cut short?
7. After arriving in America, what were considered new concepts to Hmong people like the Lees?
8. What is Merced, CA like in terms of its Hmong population?
9. Describe America's situation with Hmong immigrants.
10. Describe the txiv neeb healing ceremony in Chapter 19.
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)