|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Lia returned to MCMC, who was taking care of her?
(b) Her parents.
2. What is a nyias?
(a) A coffin.
(b) Hmong food.
(c) Healing Hmong herbs.
(d) An ornamental Hmong wrap.
3. In Merced, CA, how many residents are Hmong?
(a) 90 percent.
(b) One out of every five residents is Hmong.
(c) One out of every six residents is Hmong.
(d) One out of every 12 residents is Hmong.
4. If healthy communication existed from the beginning, what does the author say in Chapter 18 might have been very different?
(b) Lia's life.
(d) Valley Children's Hospital.
5. How are the inhabitants of Laos characterized?
(a) By how they talk.
(b) By what they eat.
(c) By the altitude at which they live.
(d) By what kind of house they have.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did the Lee family first attempt to leave Laos?
2. What kind of doctor might have made the Lees more comfortable?
3. Who was hit hard with what happened to Jeanine?
4. How did Neil and Peggy feel about Lia's care by her parents after she was discharged from the hospital?
5. When did the Lee family arrive in America?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the importance of culture to healing being recognized on a wider basis?
2. Describe America's situation with Hmong immigrants.
3. What ended the Hmong's peaceful life in the mountains?
4. What is the point of the txiv neeb healing ceremony in Chapter 19.
5. Why did the author conclude Lia's life was cut short?
6. After the horrible journey to America, what did the Lee's expect for their children when they came to America?
7. Explain the hardships of the Lee family's journey to America.
8. Explain the misunderstanding about why Lia's parents thought she was being transferred to a different hospital in Chapter 11.
9. Describe Dang Moua.
10. What parts of their old life in Laos did Hmong people keep alive in their American homes?
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)