|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Lia doing when she hit her head severely in Chapter Nine?
2. What kind of care did they provide to their patients?
(a) Poor quality.
(d) High quality.
3. What was another reason to file the child protective services report?
(a) It would mean name recognization for this person.
(b) It would lead to punishment for the Lees.
(c) The person's supervisor would be happy.
(d) It was required by law if this person saw something questionable.
4. Besides language, what else does the cultural barrier make difficult for doctors and Hmong patients?
(a) Calling on the phone.
(b) Filling out forms.
(c) Talking to nurses.
(d) Non-verbal, interpersonal communication.
5. Who became a very good resource for Anne when she was talking to the Lee's?
(a) The translators.
(b) Foua Lee.
(c) Sukey Waller, a psychologist who worked regularly with Hmong clients.
(d) Her colleagues.
Short Answer Questions
1. What complication occurred because of the breathing issue during seizures, as described in Chapter Five?
2. What was the father of the translator Anne liked best?
3. Who filed a report about Lia to Child Protective Services?
4. What does Lia's family believe happened during the door slamming mentioned in Chapter Three?
5. Who introduced Anne to the leaders of the Hmong clans?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was it hard for doctors to pin down Lia's developmental delays?
2. What was Anne's colleague's reactions to her wanting to investigate the circumstances around Lia's medical care?
3. What things did the Hmong people hear about American doctors that made them distrust them?
4. What is the meaning of qaug dab peg and why is it important to the story?
5. In Hmong tradition, how does childbirth differ from here in America?
6. What is special about the red chair where Anne sat to do her interviews?
7. How do American's react to the sacrificing of animals by the Hmong?
8. How did Anne learn to navigate the cultural differences between her and the Lees?
9. What happens to a baby's placenta after in Hmong culture?
10. Describe the significance of the door slamming in Chapter Three.
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)