|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What complication occurred because of the breathing issue during seizures, as described in Chapter Five?
(a) Her convulsions would get worse.
(b) Her brain lost oxygen, which can cause permanent damage.
(c) She would begin to throw up.
(d) She would have enough seizure.
2. In the Hmong tradition, what is considered an illness of honor?
(a) The flu.
(c) A heart attack.
3. When asking someone who is Hmong a question, what will likely be part of their answer?
(a) Something about their age.
(b) Something about their ancestors.
(c) Something about their shaman.
(d) Something about their traditional name.
4. At the end of Chapter Three, Lia had a diagnosis of what?
(a) Sinus infection.
(c) Developmental delays.
5. Where was Foua when Lia was taken?
(a) In the house.
(b) Crying in the bedroom.
(c) Next door.
(d) Visiting relatives.
Short Answer Questions
1. What question did the Hmong people have about surgery in Chapter Four, one that sounds absurd to American people?
2. Translated, what does "qaug dab peg" mean?
3. As mentioned in Chapter Nine, an ordinance was created banning what?
4. Why did Neill and Peggy become doctors?
5. What does Lia's family believe happened during the door slamming mentioned in Chapter Three?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why didn't American physicians, just out of college in the 1980s, have a sense of cross cultural communication?
2. Give an example of how the cultural barrier can lead to misinterpretations between Americans and Hmong people.
3. What questions did the Hmong people have about American doctors and surgery?
4. How did Lia going to a foster home affect the rest of her clan and their perception of doctors?
5. In Hmong tradition, how does childbirth differ from here in America?
6. Describe Foua and Nao Kao.
7. Why was it hard for doctors to pin down Lia's developmental delays?
8. What things did the Hmong people hear about American doctors that made them distrust them?
9. Explain what the author says is needed in order for an American, used to our fast-paced culture, to talk to a person who is Hmong.
10. How did Anne learn to navigate the cultural differences between her and the Lees?
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)