|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When they arrived in America, who did the Lee's seek help from?
(a) Their family in Hawaii.
(b) Their family in California.
(c) Their family in Wisconsin.
(d) Their family in Oregon.
2. What was Lia's condition in Chapter 13 when she returned to MCMC?
(a) She was normal.
(b) Her breathing was poor and she was in pain.
(c) She was throwing up constantly.
(d) She was in a coma.
3. Why did Foua rely on her children to shop at the market?
(a) Because she never learned English.
(b) She was intimidated.
(c) She was allergic to the food.
(d) Because she was afraid of Americans.
4. How many days did Lia spend at Valley Children's Hospital?
(a) Two weeks.
(b) One day.
(c) Five days.
(d) Eleven days.
5. What happened on that day that Lia's doctors said they dreaded in Chapter 11?
(a) Lia was given back to her parents.
(b) Lia's family was sent back to Laos.
(c) Lia suffered her last seizure, leading to her death.
(d) Lia's family refused to bring her to the hospital.
6. As described in Chapter 19, what is one kind of tool used by a txiv neeb?
(a) An offering plate.
(b) A cross.
(c) A saber.
(d) A vaccine.
7. How many other refugees did the Lee family leave Laos with in their second attempt?
8. How did Neil and Peggy feel about Lia's care by her parents after she was discharged from the hospital?
(a) They were sad.
(b) They were angry.
(c) They didn't care.
(d) They were impressed.
9. Which hospital was Lia transferred to in Chapter 11?
(a) Lakeview Children's Hospital.
(b) Merced Children's Hospital.
(c) General Hospital.
(d) Valley Children's Hospital.
10. What did Chapter 11 say was the day Lia's doctor's dreaded?
(a) December 25, 1986.
(b) November 25, 1988.
(c) December 25, 1988.
(d) November 25, 1986.
11. How did Foua carry Lia on her back in Chapter 15?
(a) In a ornmental Hmong wrap.
(b) With no help, just on her back.
(c) In a baby bjorn.
(d) With help of others.
12. What did Chapter 10 say about the connection to the past life the Hmong were accustomed to?
(a) Their connection could be seen in what they ate.
(b) Their connection could be heard in their dialect.
(c) Their connection could be seen in their diet.
(d) Their connection could be seen their walk.
13. How does Chapter 19 open?
(a) With the family preparing for a traditional shaman healing ceremony.
(b) With Neil receiving an award.
(c) With Lia's death.
(d) With Lia's 19th birthday celebration.
14. How many surviving children did they have when they arrived in America?
15. What city housed the largest percentage of Hmong per area in California?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the point of the txiv neeb ceremony described in Chapter 19?
2. Who was Dang Moua?
3. Why was Lia transferred to a different hospital in Chapter 11?
4. In Chapter 17, whose son is diagnosed with leukemia?
5. What do Hmong people grow and harvest?
This section contains 506 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)