|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What helped communication between Foua and Lia's doctors?
(b) Western medicine.
(d) Love and understanding.
2. In Chapter 17, what kind of damage did Lia have to her brain?
3. Why did Lia's family think she was transferred to a different hospital in Chapter 11?
(a) Because they requested it.
(b) It had a children's ICU that MCMC lacked.
(c) Because Neil was going on vacation.
(d) Jeanine was going on vacation.
4. Who was Dang Moua?
(a) A Hmong preacher.
(b) A shaman.
(c) A local grocer.
(d) A doctor.
5. What did the crop mentioned in Chapter 10 require?
(a) Hot temperatures.
(b) Humid climate.
(c) Moist soil.
(d) Cool temperatures and mountain soil.
6. After how many more years did the Lee's consider leaving again?
7. What celebration occurred during Lia's time at MCMC in Chapter 13?
(c) The Hmong New Year.
8. What was Lia's condition when Anne first met the Lee family?
(a) She was mostly healthy, but having seizures.
(b) She was in a vegetative state.
(c) She was healthy.
(d) She had died.
9. What kind of life did Foua and Nao expect in America?
(a) The same.
(b) A better one.
(c) They had no expectations.
(d) A worse one.
10. How many surviving children did they have when they arrived in America?
11. What was different about Laos than all of its neighbors, as mentioned in Chapter 10?
(a) Its people spoke multiple languages.
(b) It was the largest.
(c) Its people all spoke the same language.
(d) It was smaller.
12. What do Hmong people grow and harvest?
13. If healthy communication existed from the beginning, what does the author say in Chapter 18 might have been very different?
(a) Lia's life.
(d) Valley Children's Hospital.
14. How much is the txiv neeb paid in Chapter 19?
(a) He gets to eat with the family every night for the next week.
15. When they arrived in America, who did the Lee's seek help from?
(a) Their family in California.
(b) Their family in Oregon.
(c) Their family in Wisconsin.
(d) Their family in Hawaii.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Merced, CA, how many residents are Hmong?
2. Why was Lia transferred to a different hospital in Chapter 11?
3. What kind of life were the Hmong people accustomed to before coming to America?
4. What happened to Lia's condition after she was sent home under her parent's care?
5. What kind of doctor might have made the Lees more comfortable?
This section contains 467 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)