|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After the door slammed in Chapter Three, the Lees' concern for the daughter was also mixed with what?
(b) Anger that she could be a txiv neeb.
(c) Pride that she could be a txiv neeb.
2. In Chapter Nine, what did the Lees believe was the only thing that could help Lia with her condition?
(d) Their love and traditional medicine.
3. What is the difference between Hmong culture and American in terms of high contact?
(a) It is viewed as respectful in the Hmong culture.
(b) There is not difference, it is viewed the same in both countries.
(c) It is viewed as intrusive in American culture.
(d) It is viewed as intrusive in the Hmong culture.
4. What was the only instrument the Lee family treasured?
(a) A violin.
(b) A flute.
(c) A bamboo instrument.
(d) A clarinet.
5. What do Americans think of the ritual used in the Lee's celebration?
(a) They are uncomfortable with it.
(b) They like it.
(c) It makes them angry.
(d) They have no feelings about it.
6. Where was Lia born?
7. Who is with Foua Lee when she goes through childbirth?
(a) Her husband.
(b) A midwife.
(c) A doctor.
(d) She is surrounded by her other sleeping children.
8. Why would Lia's parents place her on a soft mat on the floor when she was ready to have a seizure?
(a) They thought the floor was dirty.
(b) They didn't have a bed for her.
(c) They didn't want to put her on a couch.
(d) It would protect her from the hard services when she was thrashing during a seizure.
9. In Chapter Nine, who did the Lees begin to blame for Lia's condition?
(a) The Kordas.
(b) The shaman.
(c) The government and her prescribed medication.
10. What does the author say the culture and fate of the Hmong people is seeped in?
(b) The war.
(c) Years of tradition.
11. What is the name of Lia's social worker?
(a) Jeanine Hilt.
(b) Dee Korda.
(d) Tom Korda.
12. What kind of care did they provide to their patients?
(c) Poor quality.
(d) High quality.
13. What happened to the seizures as Lia got older?
(a) They got less frequent.
(b) They involved throwing up.
(c) They increased in severity.
(d) They decreased in severity.
14. Who did Nao Kao think the social workers were?
15. Who filed a report about Lia to Child Protective Services?
Short Answer Questions
1. How many seizures did Lia have over a few months time in Chapter Three?
2. Why was the ordinance mentioned in Chapter Nine difficult to enforce?
3. How many children does Foua Lee have before the childbirth we read about in Chapter One?
4. What position do mother's use for childbirth?
5. Physicians did not recognize what in the Hmong culture?
This section contains 509 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)