|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was giving Lia her medications difficult for the Lee family?
(a) They didn't trust the medicine.
(b) They lost it.
(c) They couldn't afford it.
(d) They were unable to read English.
2. Why does that particular type of medicine seem OK to the Hmong?
(a) Because they are desperate.
(b) Because they think it is a gift from God.
(c) Because the American doctors say so.
(d) Because it requires no physical intervention.
3. How old was Lia when the significant door slamming mentioned in Chapter Three happened?
(b) Three months old.
(c) Three weeks old.
4. What diseases do Hmong people suffer from at a higher rate than others?
(a) Lymes Disease.
(b) The flu.
(d) Diabetes and tuberculosis.
5. Who called the Hmong Miao or Meo?
(a) People in Laos.
(c) People in Vietnam.
6. What would happen to Lia's breathing when she had seizures?
(a) Her breathing did not change.
(b) It became labored.
(c) She would stop breathing.
(d) She would wheeze.
7. How did the Lee's feel when Lia was returned home from foster care?
(a) They were angry.
(b) They were happy, but overcome with worry.
(c) They were elated.
(d) They were sad.
8. What is the name of Lia's social worker?
(a) Dee Korda.
(b) Tom Korda.
(c) Jeanine Hilt.
9. What barrier does the author have in interviewing the family featured in the book?
(b) Geographical distance.
(c) Time constraints.
(d) Her writing ability.
10. Who oversaw Lia's care at Merced?
(a) Anne Fadiman.
(b) The Lees.
(c) Jeanine Hilt.
(d) Neil Ernst and Peggy Philp.
11. Who is Foua Lee?
(a) Sister of Lia.
(d) Mother of Lia Lee.
12. What problem occurred when the Lee's first went to Merced Community Medical Center with Lia?
(a) Lia would not stop crying.
(b) They was a language barrier.
(c) They ran out of gas.
(d) They had no money.
13. What was the only instrument the Lee family treasured?
(a) A flute.
(b) A clarinet.
(c) A bamboo instrument.
(d) A violin.
14. What did the physicians in the refugee camps in Chapter Six think of the how the Hmong people perceived them?
(a) They liked it.
(b) They had no idea.
(c) They didn't care.
(d) They hated it.
15. Who was not present when Lia was removed from the home?
(a) Her youngest sibling.
(b) Her oldest sibling.
(c) Her mother.
(d) Her father.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did the Hmong people have these feelings about American doctors at that time?
2. Who became a very good resource for Anne when she was talking to the Lee's?
3. How many children does Foua Lee have before the childbirth we read about in Chapter One?
4. Who filed a report about Lia to Child Protective Services?
5. What happened to six of the Lee children before the family immigrated to America?
This section contains 499 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)