|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did the Lee family arrive in America?
2. What was the father of the translator Anne liked best?
(a) A doctor.
(b) A clan leader.
(c) A refuge center worker.
(d) A txiv neeb and a former soldier.
3. As described in Chapter Six, what does Hmong culture place emphasis on in terms of rank?
(a) Just gender.
(c) Gender and age.
(d) The size of your house.
4. When did the author first meet the Lee family?
5. What is the second set of interviews the author conducts?
(a) Interviews with government officials from Laos.
(b) Interviews with government officials from America.
(c) Interviews with social workers.
(d) Interviews with doctors who care for Lia.
6. What do Americans think of the ritual used in the Lee's celebration?
(a) They have no feelings about it.
(b) They like it.
(c) It makes them angry.
(d) They are uncomfortable with it.
7. As mentioned in Chapter Six, what would have been a more agreeable plan to the Hmong in terms of treating illness?
8. Who became a very good resource for Anne when she was talking to the Lee's?
(a) Her colleagues.
(b) Sukey Waller, a psychologist who worked regularly with Hmong clients.
(c) Foua Lee.
(d) The translators.
9. Why was it nearly impossible for the doctors to satisfy the Hmong?
(a) They didn't want to try to satisfy them.
(b) Because they were never going to like them.
(c) Because the Hmong believed in illness of the soul.
(d) Because the Hmong believed doctors are evil.
10. Who in the Hmong culture has the highest rank?
(a) Elderly women.
(b) Young men.
(c) Elderly males.
(d) Young women.
11. Why would Lia's parents place her on a soft mat on the floor when she was ready to have a seizure?
(a) They didn't have a bed for her.
(b) It would protect her from the hard services when she was thrashing during a seizure.
(c) They thought the floor was dirty.
(d) They didn't want to put her on a couch.
12. What did Lia do when she seemed to know a seizure was coming?
(a) Run to her parents for a hug.
(b) Begin screaming.
(c) Crawl into bed.
(d) Run to a doctor.
13. In Chapter Six, what continues to trickle back to the refugee camps?
(a) Unfavorable reports of Americans.
14. What question did the Hmong people have about surgery in Chapter Four, one that sounds absurd to American people?
(a) They asked if doctors ate the body parts after surgery.
(b) They asked why one person would cut into another for the fun of it.
(c) They asked why doctors had to wash up before surgery.
(d) They asked if doctors used magic to perform surgery.
15. Who is Foua Lee?
(b) Sister of Lia.
(d) Mother of Lia Lee.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many times was Lia admitted to Merced between the ages of eight months and four and a half years?
2. Who did Nao Kao think the social workers were?
3. What was the prescription mentioned in Chapter Five that Lia took most often?
4. Who was not present when Lia was removed from the home?
5. What happened to the seizures as Lia got older?
This section contains 532 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)