Speak has sometimes been subjected to censorship because of its subject matter and the intended audience. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think a ninth-grade student in the "real" world is too young to read about rape and its aftermath?
2. Do you think many girls who are Melinda's age are raped?
3. Would reading a book such as Speak help a girl who has been raped? In what ways do you think it would help a victim of rape, especially one who is Melinda's age?
4. Do you think reading Speak could be harmful emotionally to students in high school and/or middle school?
Speak was made into a film, which is directed by Jessica Sharzer and stars Kristen Stewart as Melinda. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think you would enjoy watching a film based upon Speak? Why or why not?
2. Do you think the subject matter would be more difficult...
This section contains 2,293 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)