|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Horatio interpret the letter Bel-Imperia left him upon finding it?
2. Which of the following topics does Hieronimo not address as he gives a soliloquy in Act 3, Scene 13?
3. Why does Hieronimo, in madness, start digging in the ground?
4. Which of the following themes characterizes Act 3, Scene 8?
5. Where does Isabella imagine herself going after rejecting the advice?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The central themes revenge represents are the inevitability and rightness of justice. Write an essay exploring how these themes come into play in "The Spanish Tragedy."
Essay Topic 2
Isabella considers taking herbal remedies but decides that they will not be effective. Evaluate the role of healing and medicine in the novel, writing an essay showing how these themes play out in the context of "The Spanish Tragedy."
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay exploring how Hieronimo's play and Lorenzo's actions are similar. Consider whether both these characters can be considered directors and what the idea of a director or playwright means in the context of "The Spanish Tragedy."
This section contains 271 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)