|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following literary devices are used to begin Act 2, Scene 1?
(a) Rhyming verse.
(b) An aside.
2. Why is Proserpine allowed to return to earth for six months of the year?
(a) To roam the earth in pity.
(b) To exert revenge.
(c) To visit her friends.
(d) To be with her mother.
3. Who brings Andrea back to the living from the underworld?
4. Who is Pedringano?
(a) Bel-Imperia's brother.
(b) Lorenzo's brother.
(c) Lorenzo's servant.
(d) Bel-Imperia's servant.
5. Which of the following is not a way that the Scene 1 in the play acts?
(a) As a prologue.
(b) As exposition.
(c) As a frame.
(d) As foreshadowing.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Alexandro beg the viceroy to allow him to do in Act 3, Scene 1?
2. Which title does Balthazar hold?
3. What does Bel-Imperia drop after her visit with Balthazar in Act 1, Scene 4?
4. What does Villuppo reveal to the audience in an aside at the end of Act 1, Scene 3?
5. Which of the following characters does not have a say in the marriage between Balthazar and Bel-Imperia?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Hieronimo's play, including whom he plans to include on stage.
2. Describe the events preceding Isabella's suicide and explain how she kills herself.
3. How does Pedringano react to the place being set for his execution and why?
4. What does the king tell the Portuguese ambassador about the marriage between Bel-Imperia and Balthazar and about them having a son?
5. Describe how Horatio is killed and what is done to Bel-Imperia.
6. At the beginning of Act 1, Scene 3, who are the courtiers that report to the viceroy and what do they reveal?
7. Why does Lorenzo plot to kill Serberine and whom does he employ to help him carry out his plan?
8. Three men come in to seek justice from Hieronimo in his position as marshal. Describe the three complaints.
9. What is difference between the imagery of heaven in Act 3, Scene 8, and earlier references of the afterlife in the play?
10. Why does Hieronimo invite the third citizen to his house and what happens at the house?
This section contains 798 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)