|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Balthazar come to visit Bel-Imperia in the Spanish court?
(a) To trick her.
(b) To reveal Andrea's guilt.
(c) To court her.
(d) To kill her.
2. Why is Hieronimo expected at the king's banquet in Act 1, Scene 4?
(a) To cater the party.
(b) He is not invited.
(c) To provide the entertainment.
(d) To deliver the tribute.
3. What does the viceroy confirm with the two warriors/courtiers in Act 1, Scene 3?
(a) That Portugal has been defeated.
(b) That an ambassador has been sent to Spain with tribute money.
(c) That the war is not yet over.
(d) That Spain has been defeated.
4. How does Pedringano say he found out about Bel-Imperia and Horatio's relationship?
(a) By the admission of Bel-Imperia.
(b) By spying on them in the garden.
(c) By seeing love letters she sent Horatio.
(d) By overhearing the maids talking about it.
5. How can the language of the viceroy's soliloquy (really an aside) in Act 1, Scene 3 be described?
(a) Subtly depressing.
(b) Emotionally extravagant.
(c) Ravingly mad.
(d) Politely understated.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hieronimo keep to remind him of Horatio and his need for revenge?
2. Who is Pedringano?
3. When the procession in Act 1, Scene 2 passes by the king, to whom does the king demand a reward be given?
4. How does Hieronimo recognize Horatio's body after he is hanged?
5. Why is Andrea told he is brought back from the underworld?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the king want Castile to convince Bel-Imperia to accept Balthazar's courtship?
2. Describe Pedringano's involvement with the attack on Horatio.
3. Describe Hieronimo's soliloquy that he performs while reading from a book in Act 3, Scene 13.
4. Who brings the Ghost of Andrea back to the land of the living and why?
5. Describe the journey that Andrea takes through the Underworld.
6. As Bel-Imperia and Horatio decide to marry and return to the banquet, what does Lorenzo say will happen to Horatio and what does he mean by this?
7. Describe the conversation that the courtier and Villuppo have about Alexandro's guilt in Act 3, Scene 1.
8. When Andrea first introduces himself in the play, what facets of his life does he mention?
9. What cure does the maid suggest for Isabella to ease her troubled thoughts, does she use it, and why or why not?
10. Describe Bel-Imperia and Balthazar's first meeting after she is released by Lorenzo.
This section contains 799 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)