|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the viceroy respond to Alexandro's claims about Balthazar?
(a) He wants to take a search party to find him immediately.
(b) He is furious.
(c) He does not believe him.
(d) He is ecstatic.
2. In Act 1, Scene 5, how does Revenge respond to the Ghost's question about why he's being made to sit through a celebration of the man who killed him?
(a) Revenge says that he is actually the guilty one.
(b) Revenge says the joy of all characters will be turned to misery.
(c) Revenge says the characters are not as happy as they seem.
(d) Revenge says that he likes seeing the Ghost's pain.
3. Who brings Andrea back to the living from the underworld?
4. In the underworld, to whom do the governing spirits send Andrea to be judged?
5. In what language do Hieronimo and Isabella speak a dirge as they carry Horatio's body away?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who leads the procession that appears after the trumpet sounds in Act 1, Scene 2?
2. When Pedringano appears on stage for the first time, of what does Lorenzo remind him?
3. What does the king ask Castile in Act 2, Scene 3?
4. In the Spanish court, who pleads with Horatio to tell her more about the circumstances of Andrea's death, referring poetically to how much she loved him?
5. What excuse does Villuppo give for lying about Balthazar's death?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the conversation that the courtier and Villuppo have about Alexandro's guilt in Act 3, Scene 1.
2. Who is Pedringano and how does Lorenzo persuade him to help in the plot against Horatio?
3. Why does Castile come to visit Hieronimo while he is preparing for the play and what do they talk about?
4. How and why do the complaints of the third citizen affect Hieronimo?
5. Describe Bel-Imperia's soliloquy in Act 3, Scene 9.
6. Describe the conversation that Bel-Imperia and Hieronimo have regarding avenging Horatio's death.
7. What is difference between the imagery of heaven in Act 3, Scene 8, and earlier references of the afterlife in the play?
8. What does Hieronimo start doing in front of the king to cause the king to ask what is wrong with him?
9. How does the viceroy respond to Villuppo's offer to tell the truth about Balthazar and what does Villuppo tell him?
10. Describe Hieronimo's play, including whom he plans to include on stage.
This section contains 930 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)