|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which title does Balthazar hold?
2. Who took Balthazar prisoner during the battle between Portugal and Spain?
(d) Don Pedro.
3. What does Hieronimo keep to remind him of Horatio and his need for revenge?
(a) A bloody handkercheif.
(b) A torn glove.
(c) A metal cross.
(d) A lock of hair.
4. Why does Hieronimo urge Isabella to be calm and conceal her grief after Horatio's death?
(a) So he can better conduct an investigation.
(b) Because grief is unladylike.
(c) Because she is annoying him.
(d) Because he wants to pretend that Horatio is alive.
5. When Pedringano appears on stage for the first time, of what does Lorenzo remind him?
(a) That he saved Pedringano from punishment.
(b) That he saved Pedringano's love.
(c) That Pedringano still owes him money.
(d) That he rescued Pedringano from drowning.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the viceroy react when Alexandro protests his innocence?
2. Who are the two warriors/courtiers with whom the viceroy speaks in Act 1, Scene 3?
3. In Act 1, Scene 5, how does Revenge respond to the Ghost's question about why he's being made to sit through a celebration of the man who killed him?
4. When Pedringano says he does not know whom Bel-Imperia is in love with, how does Lorenzo respond?
5. What does the king tell Castile to do at the end of Act 2, Scene 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. When the Portuguese ask Hieronimo to lead them to Lorenzo, where does Hieronimo say Lorenzo is?
2. Describe Bel-Imperia's soliloquy in Act 3, Scene 9.
3. Describe the events preceding Isabella's suicide and explain how she kills herself.
4. What happens to reveal Pedringano's innocence after his execution?
5. Describe Bel-Imperia and Balthazar's first meeting after she is released by Lorenzo.
6. What does Isabella imagine herself doing in Act 3, Scene 8, and what does she see herself as?
7. Why does the king want Castile to convince Bel-Imperia to accept Balthazar's courtship?
8. Who does Pedringano reveal to Lorenzo as an object of Bel-Imperia's love and how does he know that she loves him?
9. Describe Pedringano's involvement with the attack on Horatio.
10. When does it become apparent why Hieronimo asked for a key to the king's box seats and why did he do so?
This section contains 875 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)