|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Castile say about Bel-Imperia's feelings for Balthazar in Act 2, Scene 3?
(a) She is only pretending not to love him.
(b) She does not love him.
(c) She wants to express her love for him.
(d) She will never love him.
2. Who are the two warriors/courtiers with whom the viceroy speaks in Act 1, Scene 3?
(a) Balthazar and Alexandro.
(b) Don Pedro and Hieronimo.
(c) Alexandro and Villupo.
(d) Lorenzo and Horatio.
3. What comment does Villuppo make to his courtier about Alexandro's friendship with Andrea?
(a) That is is admirable.
(b) That it is on-and-off.
(c) That it is false.
(d) That it is horrible.
4. In the Spanish court, who pleads with Horatio to tell her more about the circumstances of Andrea's death, referring poetically to how much she loved him?
5. How does the audience know what Balthazar and Lorenzo are thinking as they secretly watch Bel-Imperia and Horatio?
(a) Balthazar and Lorenzo interject comments that the other characters cannot hear.
(b) Balthazar and Lorenzo mime what they are thinking.
(c) Balthazar and Lorenzo hold up signs showing what they are thinking.
(d) The audience does not know what they are thinking.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the king interpret the the use of warriors in the play presented at his banquet?
2. What does the viceroy complain about as he enters the stage in Act 3, Scene 1?
3. How does the viceroy react when Alexandro protests his innocence?
4. To what play is The Spanish Tragedy a sequel?
5. How do Lorenzo and the others kill Horatio?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the viceroy respond to Villuppo's offer to tell the truth about Balthazar and what does Villuppo tell him?
2. What cure does the maid suggest for Isabella to ease her troubled thoughts, does she use it, and why or why not?
3. Describe Bel-Imperia and Balthazar's first meeting after she is released by Lorenzo.
4. Three men come in to seek justice from Hieronimo in his position as marshal. Describe the three complaints.
5. As Balthazar and Lorenzo watch from a hiding place, how does Bel-Imperia respond to Horatio's question about why she is still upset and what is Balthazar's response?
6. What does Isabella imagine herself doing in Act 3, Scene 8, and what does she see herself as?
7. When the Portuguese ask Hieronimo to lead them to Lorenzo, where does Hieronimo say Lorenzo is?
8. What is the viceroy's reaction to the marriage of Bel-Imperia and Balthazar and what does he plan to do afterward?
9. Describe Hieronimo's soliloquy that he performs while reading from a book in Act 3, Scene 13.
10. In the Underworld, what fate does the soul of Andrea face and who decides this fate?
This section contains 901 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)