|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the king's nephew?
2. Where is the viceroy when he speaks with two warriors/courtiers in Act 1, Scene 3?
(a) The Spanish castle.
(b) The battlefield.
(c) The Imperial Gardens.
(d) The Portuguese court.
3. How does the viceroy respond to Alexandro's claims about Balthazar?
(a) He wants to take a search party to find him immediately.
(b) He is furious.
(c) He does not believe him.
(d) He is ecstatic.
4. Does Castile give a time frame for the marriage between Balthazar and Bel-Imperia?
(a) No, he says she will come around in time.
(b) No, he says she will not get married.
(c) Yes, he says it will happen within the year.
(d) Yes, he says it will happen in a month.
5. What excuse does Villuppo give for lying about Balthazar's death?
(a) He says Balthazar desired to escape.
(b) He says he hates Alexandro.
(c) He says he wanted to kill Balthazar.
(d) He says he wanted to gain the viceroy's favor.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the king greet Balthazar when he receives him as a prisoner?
2. Who is Pedringano?
3. Immediately after Hieronimo and Isabella lament the death of Horatio and talk about how happy he was at dinner, what does Hieronimo do?
4. Who is the god of the dead?
5. When Pedringano appears on stage for the first time, of what does Lorenzo remind him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Hieronimo kills himself and another that he kills with the same weapon.
2. How does Horatio react when Bel-Imperia asks him to tell her about the circumstances of Andrea's death and what information does he share?
3. What is an aside in a play and how does Villuppo use an aside in Act 1, Scene 3?
4. Describe the conversation that the courtier and Villuppo have about Alexandro's guilt in Act 3, Scene 1.
5. How does Hieronimo initially react to finding Horatio's body?
6. What excuse does Lorenzo give Bel-Imperia for imprisoning her?
7. When does it become apparent why Hieronimo asked for a key to the king's box seats and why did he do so?
8. What is Hieronimo's purpose at the king's banquet and how does this play out?
9. At the beginning of Act 1, Scene 3, who are the courtiers that report to the viceroy and what do they reveal?
10. How does the viceroy respond to Villuppo's offer to tell the truth about Balthazar and what does Villuppo tell him?
This section contains 845 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)