|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Ghost complain to Revenge that he should be seeing instead of his friend being slain?
(a) The exhaltation of Horatio.
(b) The happiness of Bel-Imperia.
(c) The death of Lorenzo.
(d) The death of Balthazar.
2. Why does Hieronimo urge Isabella to be calm and conceal her grief after Horatio's death?
(a) Because she is annoying him.
(b) So he can better conduct an investigation.
(c) Because he wants to pretend that Horatio is alive.
(d) Because grief is unladylike.
3. How can the language of the viceroy's soliloquy (really an aside) in Act 1, Scene 3 be described?
(a) Subtly depressing.
(b) Ravingly mad.
(c) Politely understated.
(d) Emotionally extravagant.
4. Who helps Balthazar and Lorenzo find a hiding place to listen and watch Bel-Imperia and Horatio talk?
5. What excuse does Villuppo give for lying about Balthazar's death?
(a) He says he wanted to kill Balthazar.
(b) He says he wanted to gain the viceroy's favor.
(c) He says he hates Alexandro.
(d) He says Balthazar desired to escape.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the viceroy react when Alexandro protests his innocence?
2. What is the punishment that is meted out to Alexandro?
3. What did Horatio insist happen to Andrea's body after his death?
4. Who brings Andrea back to the living from the underworld?
5. If Balthazar and Bel-Imperia have a son, over which country will he be king?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the king tell the Portuguese ambassador about the marriage between Bel-Imperia and Balthazar and about them having a son?
2. What does Isabella imagine herself doing in Act 3, Scene 8, and what does she see herself as?
3. How does Spain win the battle against Portugal and who are they key players?
4. At the beginning of Act 1, Scene 3, who are the courtiers that report to the viceroy and what do they reveal?
5. How is Balthazar greeted as a prisoner by the king and how does Balthazar respond?
6. What excuse does Lorenzo give Bel-Imperia for imprisoning her?
7. Describe Bel-Imperia and Balthazar's first meeting after she is released by Lorenzo.
8. Describe Hieronimo's soliloquy that he performs while reading from a book in Act 3, Scene 13.
9. Why does Hieronimo consider killing himself and why does he decide not to?
10. When Isabella's thoughts return to the men who killed her son in Act 3, Scene 8, what does she do?
This section contains 782 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)