|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long does the king say Balthazar will be kept prisoner in Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) He will be immediately released.
(b) Two months.
(c) Until the tribute is paid.
(d) A lifetime.
2. How do the king and his people celebrate their victory in the battle against Portugal?
(a) With a parade.
(b) With a ball.
(c) With a feast.
(d) With a new war.
3. How does Revenge respond to the Ghost's complaints that he doesn't want to watch his friend being slain?
(a) Revenge picked the wrong man to kill.
(b) He doesn't get to pick what he sees.
(c) Soon he will see what he wants to see.
(d) Revenge will only do what he wants to do.
4. To what play is The Spanish Tragedy a sequel?
(a) "The Tragical History of Doctor Faustus."
(b) "The First Part of Hieronimo."
(c) "The Merry Wives of Windsor."
(d) "The Jew of Malta."
5. What story does Villuppo tell the viceroy about what happened to Balthazar?
(a) Villuppo says Balthazar is indeed alive and will return.
(b) Villuppo says Balthazar was shot in the back by Alexandro.
(c) Villuppo says Balthazar is indeed alive and is being held prisoner.
(d) Villippo says he killed Balthazar with his own hands.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the viceroy complain about as he enters the stage in Act 3, Scene 1?
2. What does Hieronimo keep to remind him of Horatio and his need for revenge?
3. Who is Serberine?
4. Which of the following is not a way that the Scene 1 in the play acts?
5. What does Villuppo reveal to the audience in an aside at the end of Act 1, Scene 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. The viceroy rants to his courtiers about what in Act 1, Scene 3?
2. Describe Hieronimo's confusion about Horatio's body after his initial recognition?
3. What is an aside in a play and how does Villuppo use an aside in Act 1, Scene 3?
4. How does Pedringano react to the place being set for his execution and why?
5. How does the viceroy respond to Villuppo's offer to tell the truth about Balthazar and what does Villuppo tell him?
6. Describe the conversation that Bel-Imperia and Hieronimo have regarding avenging Horatio's death.
7. What is Hieronimo's purpose at the king's banquet and how does this play out?
8. Why does Hieronimo consider killing himself and why does he decide not to?
9. Describe Hieronimo's soliloquy that he performs while reading from a book in Act 3, Scene 13.
10. As Balthazar and Lorenzo watch from a hiding place, how does Bel-Imperia respond to Horatio's question about why she is still upset and what is Balthazar's response?
This section contains 940 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)