|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What story does Villuppo tell the viceroy about what happened to Balthazar?
(a) Villuppo says Balthazar was shot in the back by Alexandro.
(b) Villuppo says Balthazar is indeed alive and will return.
(c) Villippo says he killed Balthazar with his own hands.
(d) Villuppo says Balthazar is indeed alive and is being held prisoner.
2. What is the relationship between Balthazar and Andrea?
(a) Balthazar grew up with Andrea.
(b) Balthazar is Andrea's love.
(c) Balthazar killed Andrea.
(d) Balthazar is Andrea's cousin.
3. Who is Castile?
(a) Bel-Imperia's father.
(b) Balthazar's brother.
(c) Bel-Imperia's brother.
(d) Balthazar's father.
4. Which of the following does the Ambassador NOT do in Act 2, Scene 3?
(a) Tell the king the ransom has been paid.
(b) Promise to pass the king's message to the viceroy.
(c) Tell the king that Balthazar has sent his regards.
(d) Promise to kill Horatio.
5. Which of the following characters' motives are exposed and explained in Act 2, Scene 3?
(c) The ambassador's.
(d) The king's.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the viceroy when he speaks with two warriors/courtiers in Act 1, Scene 3?
2. Which of the following characters is not present when a general reports to progress of Spain's war with Portugal in Act 1, Scene 2?
3. How do the king and his people celebrate their victory in the battle against Portugal?
4. What decision do Bel-Imperia and Horatio make as Balthazar and Lorenzo look on?
5. As Bel-Imperia calls for help after Lorenzo, Balthazar, Pedringano, and Serberine enter disguised, who grabs Bel-Imperia?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Isabella imagine herself doing in Act 3, Scene 8, and what does she see herself as?
2. How does Hieronimo initially react to finding Horatio's body?
3. After her encounter with Balthazar at the Spanish court, what does Bel-Imperia drop, who picks it up, and how is this significant?
4. Why does Castile come to visit Hieronimo while he is preparing for the play and what do they talk about?
5. How does the viceroy respond to Villuppo's offer to tell the truth about Balthazar and what does Villuppo tell him?
6. The viceroy rants to his courtiers about what in Act 1, Scene 3?
7. Describe Bel-Imperia's soliloquy in Act 3, Scene 9.
8. How is Alexandro going to be executed and how does he escape this fate?
9. What is difference between the imagery of heaven in Act 3, Scene 8, and earlier references of the afterlife in the play?
10. Why does the king want Castile to convince Bel-Imperia to accept Balthazar's courtship?
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)