|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After seeing Hieronimo digging in the ground, what does the King tell Lorenzo to do?
(a) Kill himself.
(b) Give Hieronimo the ransom.
(c) Disappear from the kingdom.
(d) Kill Hieronimo.
2. The third citizen comes to Hieronimo regarding his ___'s murder.
3. Why does Hieronimo, in madness, start digging in the ground?
(a) To find the glove that Bel-Imperia gave Horatio.
(b) So Horatio can emerge from his grave and show the king his wounds.
(c) To create a grave for Lorenzo before he kills him.
(d) So that he can crawl into the Underworld.
4. In Act 3, Scene 2, Hieronimo speaks _______ rich with emotional, violent imagery of how miserable he is after the death of Horatio and his plans for revenge.
(a) A conversation.
(b) An aside.
(c) A soliloquy.
(d) A lecture.
5. When the ambassador and the king discuss ransom for Horatio, how does the king feel about Horatio's death?
(a) He is excited by his death.
(b) He is relieved by his death.
(c) He doesn't know he is dead.
(d) He is saddened by his death
6. What does Lorenzo give to Pedringano to encourage him to help in killing Serberine?
(a) A pardon.
(b) A house.
(c) A bag of gold.
(d) A title.
7. Hieronimo says that he wrote a play when?
(a) When his son was born.
(b) When he was a student.
(c) When he got the job as marshal.
(d) When he lost his son.
8. What does the viceroy say that he will do after the marriage of Bel-Imperia and Balthazar?
(a) Kill Lorenzo.
(b) Build a castle for Balthazar.
(c) Raise money for orphans.
(d) Withdraw from public life and devote himself to prayer.
9. Who does Lorenzo think gave Hieronimo the note revealing his and Balthazar's guilt?
10. What causes Hieronimo to emerge from his hiding place shouting for justice?
(a) The sound of Bel-Imperia's sobs.
(b) The rewarding of Balthazar.
(c) The rewarding of Lorenzo.
(d) The sound of Horatio's name.
11. What advice does Lorenzo give Balthazar regarding Bel-Imperia?
(a) To be cunning, careful, and jesting with Bel-Imperia.
(b) To take Bel-Imperia immediately to be married.
(c) To trap Bel-Imperia again and keep her in his cellar.
(d) To be forward and aggressive with Bel-Imperia.
12. What does Hieronimo ask Castile for when he comes in to see how the stage is coming along for the play?
(b) A copy of the script.
(c) The key to the king's box seats.
(d) A knife to kill the king.
13. What excuse does Lorenzo give Bel-Imperia for imprisoning her?
(a) He says it was for her own honor.
(b) He says it was to persuade her to love Balthazar.
(c) He says he was deciding whether to kill her.
(d) He says it was to prevent grief.
14. Why does Isabella run out as the maid tries to call her at the end of Act 3, Scene 8?
(a) She runs out in a near-insane search for the men who killed her son.
(b) She runs out because she becomes confused about where she is.
(c) She runs out to look for Horatio.
(d) She runs out because she is tired of listening to the maid.
15. Why doesn't Hieronimo kill himself?
(a) He decides that Lorenzo is not worth his death.
(b) He is too proud to commit suicide.
(c) He thinks killing oneself is a sin.
(d) There would be no one to avenge Horatio's death.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Lorenzo say can get messages through to Bel-Imperia?
2. What is contained in the box that Lorenzo gives a servant and says must remain closed?
3. What does the letter say that Horatio discovers Bel-Imperia left him?
4. Hieronimo, left alone, imagines himself pleading for justice first before the king, and then before who?
5. In Act 3, Scene 9, what does Bel-Imperia soliloquize about?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)