|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Balthazar and Bel-Imperia banter about who loves whom, Bel-Imperia leaves having __________.
(a) Persuaded Lorenzo that she will exact revenge.
(b) Convinced Balthazar that she loves him.
(c) Convinced Balthazar that she doesn't love him.
(d) Pesuaded Balthazar that she will kill him.
2. Which of the following topics does Hieronimo not address as he gives a soliloquy in Act 3, Scene 13?
(a) His right to have revenge for the murder of Horatio.
(b) His decision to mask his grief and anger with politeness, good manners and patience.
(c) His uncertainty about how to achieve revenge.
(d) His hope for a good marriage for Bel-Imperia.
3. What does Lorenzo give to Pedringano to encourage him to help in killing Serberine?
(a) A title.
(b) A house.
(c) A pardon.
(d) A bag of gold.
4. Why does Lorenzo tell Castile that he has kept Hieronimo from the king?
(a) Because Hieronimo is unstable.
(b) Because Hieronimo will remind the king of Horatio.
(c) Because Hieronimo will prevent the marraige of Balthazar.
(d) Because he is afraid Hieronimo will reveal his crime.
5. What is contained in the box that Lorenzo gives a servant and says must remain closed?
(b) Pedringano's pardon.
6. What causes Hieronimo to emerge from his hiding place shouting for justice?
(a) The rewarding of Balthazar.
(b) The sound of Bel-Imperia's sobs.
(c) The sound of Horatio's name.
(d) The rewarding of Lorenzo.
7. Why doesn't Hieronimo kill himself?
(a) He decides that Lorenzo is not worth his death.
(b) There would be no one to avenge Horatio's death.
(c) He thinks killing oneself is a sin.
(d) He is too proud to commit suicide.
8. Whom does Hieronimo mistake for an avenging goddess?
(b) The third citizen.
9. What does the letter say that Horatio discovers Bel-Imperia left him?
(a) Horatio was a traitor.
(b) She is in love with Balthazar.
(c) Lorenzo does not deserve to die.
(d) Balthazar and Lorenzo killed Horatio.
10. What is primarily demonstrated by the presence of the third citizen in this scene?
(a) Hieronimo's generosity.
(b) The theme of kindness to strangers.
(c) Hieronimo's increasing state of grief and possible insanity.
(d) Friendship between two social classes.
11. From whom do the characters in the play obtain costumes?
(b) The king.
12. How does Hieronimo fix the problems of the two citizens that have similar issues to each other?
(a) He hands over his gold and several other possessions to them.
(b) He tells them to go to the king.
(c) He shoots them.
(d) He imprisons the criminals.
13. After seeing Hieronimo digging in the ground, what does the King tell Lorenzo to do?
(a) Disappear from the kingdom.
(b) Kill Hieronimo.
(c) Kill himself.
(d) Give Hieronimo the ransom.
14. Whom will Isabella find on her imaginary journey?
(a) Her maid.
15. What does Isabella do in the garden where Horatio was hanged to exact revenge?
(a) All answers are correct.
(b) Kill herself.
(c) Cut down plants.
(d) Kill the tree.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Horatio interpret the letter Bel-Imperia left him upon finding it?
2. How does the ambassador say the viceroy feels about the idea of marriage between Balthazar and Bel-Imperia?
3. Which of the following themes characterizes Act 3, Scene 8?
4. Which of the following characters does Hieronimo NOT ask to act in his play?
5. When Hieronimo is reminded by the citizens of Horatio, he brings out what prop?
This section contains 572 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)