|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Hieronimo, left alone, imagines himself pleading for justice first before the king, and then before who?
(a) His wife, Isabella.
(b) A fiery god of the Underworld.
(c) The character Revenge.
2. When the ambassador and the king discuss ransom for Horatio, how does the king feel about Horatio's death?
(a) He is relieved by his death.
(b) He is saddened by his death
(c) He is excited by his death.
(d) He doesn't know he is dead.
3. From whom do the characters in the play obtain costumes?
(b) The king.
4. What role will Hieronimo play in the play that he wrote?
(a) A wronged lover that kills his wife.
(b) A mercenary who avenges death.
(c) An evil manipulater that orchestrates misery.
(d) A vengeful king who hangs himself.
5. Whom does Hieronimo mistake for an avenging goddess?
(c) The third citizen.
6. After Balthazar and Lorenzo are told that Serberine has been shot, what is Lorenzo's reaction?
(a) To have Pedringano executed.
(b) To hide himself, knowing he will be found guilty.
(c) To tell Balthazar the truth about the murder.
(d) To help Pedringano find a hiding place.
7. In Act 3, Scene 14, the king announces that Bel-Imperia and Balthazar are to be married if what condition is met?
(a) Balthazar agrees.
(b) The viceroy agrees.
(c) Bel-Imperia forgets Horatio.
(d) Bel-Imperia agrees.
8. Why does Lorenzo tell Castile that he has kept Hieronimo from the king?
(a) Because Hieronimo will remind the king of Horatio.
(b) Because Hieronimo is unstable.
(c) Because he is afraid Hieronimo will reveal his crime.
(d) Because Hieronimo will prevent the marraige of Balthazar.
9. Which of the following topics does Hieronimo not address as he gives a soliloquy in Act 3, Scene 13?
(a) His uncertainty about how to achieve revenge.
(b) His decision to mask his grief and anger with politeness, good manners and patience.
(c) His right to have revenge for the murder of Horatio.
(d) His hope for a good marriage for Bel-Imperia.
10. What will Isabella become on her imaginary journey?
(d) An angel.
11. When Hieronimo is reminded by the citizens of Horatio, he brings out what prop?
(a) The bloody handkerchief.
(b) The metal cross.
(c) The white glove.
(d) The silver sword.
12. Who gives Isabella advice in Act 3, Scene 8?
(c) A servant.
(d) Her maid.
13. How does Balthazar respond to Bel-Imperia's rejection?
(a) He is wounded.
(b) He is relieved.
(c) He is calm.
(d) He is excited.
14. Which of the following does Isabella not consider in Act 3, Scene 8?
(a) The Underworld
(b) Herbal remedies.
(d) Her son's killers.
15. How does Pedringano interact with his executioner?
(a) He is ready to die.
(b) He makes jokes to him.
(c) He is somber.
(d) He begs for a pardon.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lorenzo order regarding Bel-Imperia?
2. Which of the following statements describes the depiction of the afterlife in Act 3, Scene 8?
3. What does Hieronimo do to the documents presented by the first two citizens (the ones who have similar complaints)?
4. Castile tells Bel-Imperia that her _________ in loving Andrea has been forgiven.
5. What is Lorenzo said to be doing in "boiling lead and the blood of innocents"?
This section contains 529 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)