|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Act 3, Scene 2, Hieronimo speaks _______ rich with emotional, violent imagery of how miserable he is after the death of Horatio and his plans for revenge.
(a) A conversation.
(b) A soliloquy.
(c) A lecture.
(d) An aside.
2. When Bel-Imperia berates Hieronimo for being slow in taking revenge, what does she accuse him of?
(a) Being a coward.
(b) Being crazy.
(c) Not loving his son.
(d) Not being a man.
3. How does Isabella feel about the tree from which Horatio was hanged?
4. In Act 3, Scene 14, the king announces that Bel-Imperia and Balthazar are to be married if what condition is met?
(a) Balthazar agrees.
(b) Bel-Imperia agrees.
(c) The viceroy agrees.
(d) Bel-Imperia forgets Horatio.
5. What will Isabella become on her imaginary journey?
(d) An angel.
6. What is contained in the box that Lorenzo gives a servant and says must remain closed?
(d) Pedringano's pardon.
7. After Bel-Imperia agrees to support Hieronimo's revenge, but before he can explain his plan, what happens?
(a) Lorenzo brings in a letter.
(b) He hears a voice in the bushes.
(c) He receives a letter from the king.
(d) Balthazar and Lorenzo enter.
8. From whom do the characters in the play obtain costumes?
(a) The king.
9. Why does Lorenzo plan to kill Serberine?
(a) Because he thinks he wrote a letter revealing his guilt.
(b) Because he is going to take Pedringano as a servant instead.
(c) Because he is tired of having a servant.
(d) Because he reminds Lorenzo of Bel-Imperia.
10. Where does Isabella imagine herself going after rejecting the advice?
(a) To Portugal.
(b) To hell.
(c) To heaven.
(d) To the underworld.
11. In Act 3, Scene 11, the king comes in with the ambassador, Castile, and Lorenzo, discussing what?
(a) Whether the viceroy has received the letters he sent.
(b) The marriage of Balthazar and Bel-Imperia.
(c) Whether to kill Hieronimo.
(d) The execution of Pedringano.
12. What advice is given to Isabella in Act 3, Scene 8?
(a) Take a walk.
(b) Move into the country.
(c) Take herbal remedies.
(d) Exact revenge.
13. Why does Hieronimo, in madness, start digging in the ground?
(a) So that he can crawl into the Underworld.
(b) So Horatio can emerge from his grave and show the king his wounds.
(c) To create a grave for Lorenzo before he kills him.
(d) To find the glove that Bel-Imperia gave Horatio.
14. How does Horatio interpret the letter Bel-Imperia left him upon finding it?
(a) As a trap.
(b) As a misunderstanding.
(c) As a forced letter.
(d) As truth.
15. Hieronimo says that he wrote a play when?
(a) When he was a student.
(b) When his son was born.
(c) When he got the job as marshal.
(d) When he lost his son.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Lorenzo said to be doing in "boiling lead and the blood of innocents"?
2. Why is Bel-Imperia frustrated with Hieronimo?
3. How does Hieronimo fix the problems of the two citizens that have similar issues to each other?
4. How does Balthazar respond to Bel-Imperia's rejection?
5. Who does Lorenzo think gave Hieronimo the note revealing his and Balthazar's guilt?
This section contains 549 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)