|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the ambassador say the viceroy feels about the idea of marriage between Balthazar and Bel-Imperia?
(a) He approves of it.
(b) He thinks it is a bad idea.
(c) He is surprised by it.
(d) He is saddened by it.
2. Whom does Hieronimo mistake for an avenging goddess?
(c) The third citizen.
3. After seeing Hieronimo digging in the ground, what does the King tell Lorenzo to do?
(a) Give Hieronimo the ransom.
(b) Disappear from the kingdom.
(c) Kill Hieronimo.
(d) Kill himself.
4. When Hieronimo is reminded by the citizens of Horatio, he brings out what prop?
(a) The white glove.
(b) The bloody handkerchief.
(c) The silver sword.
(d) The metal cross.
5. Why doesn't Hieronimo kill himself?
(a) He thinks killing oneself is a sin.
(b) There would be no one to avenge Horatio's death.
(c) He is too proud to commit suicide.
(d) He decides that Lorenzo is not worth his death.
6. From whom do the characters in the play obtain costumes?
(a) The king.
7. Lorenzo tells Bel-Imperia that something has angered Castile. What does he say this thing is?
(a) Lorenzo's capture of Bel-Imperia.
(b) Lorenzo's lies to Hieronimo.
(c) Bel-Imperia's failure to love Balthazar.
(d) Bel-Imperia's grief at Andrea's death.
8. What is primarily demonstrated by the presence of the third citizen in this scene?
(a) The theme of kindness to strangers.
(b) Hieronimo's increasing state of grief and possible insanity.
(c) Hieronimo's generosity.
(d) Friendship between two social classes.
9. Two of the citizens who bring their matters to Hieronimo have issues with what?
10. What role will Hieronimo play in the play that he wrote?
(a) An evil manipulater that orchestrates misery.
(b) A mercenary who avenges death.
(c) A vengeful king who hangs himself.
(d) A wronged lover that kills his wife.
11. Who does Lorenzo think gave Hieronimo the note revealing his and Balthazar's guilt?
12. After Balthazar and Lorenzo are told that Serberine has been shot, what is Lorenzo's reaction?
(a) To have Pedringano executed.
(b) To hide himself, knowing he will be found guilty.
(c) To help Pedringano find a hiding place.
(d) To tell Balthazar the truth about the murder.
13. Why does Lorenzo plan to kill Serberine?
(a) Because he is going to take Pedringano as a servant instead.
(b) Because he is tired of having a servant.
(c) Because he reminds Lorenzo of Bel-Imperia.
(d) Because he thinks he wrote a letter revealing his guilt.
14. Where does Isabella imagine herself going after rejecting the advice?
(a) To Portugal.
(b) To hell.
(c) To heaven.
(d) To the underworld.
15. What advice is given to Isabella in Act 3, Scene 8?
(a) Take a walk.
(b) Take herbal remedies.
(c) Move into the country.
(d) Exact revenge.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Isabella and Horatio do after they invite the third citizen into their home?
2. The third citizen comes to Hieronimo regarding his ___'s murder.
3. What does Hieronimo ask Castile for when he comes in to see how the stage is coming along for the play?
4. What excuse does Lorenzo give Bel-Imperia for imprisoning her?
5. Which of the following statements describes the depiction of the afterlife in Act 3, Scene 8?
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)