|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After her imaginary journey, to what do Isabella's thoughts return?
(a) The men who killed her son.
(b) Her husband.
(c) Her faith in God.
(d) Her desire for death.
2. Which of the following characters does Hieronimo NOT ask to act in his play?
3. Why does Hieronimo, in madness, start digging in the ground?
(a) To find the glove that Bel-Imperia gave Horatio.
(b) So that he can crawl into the Underworld.
(c) So Horatio can emerge from his grave and show the king his wounds.
(d) To create a grave for Lorenzo before he kills him.
4. How does Isabella feel about the tree from which Horatio was hanged?
5. What prop does Hieronimo use as he gives is soliloquy at the beginning of Act 3, Scene 13?
(a) A skull.
(b) A chair.
(c) A book.
(d) A gravestone.
6. Which of the following topics does Hieronimo not address as he gives a soliloquy in Act 3, Scene 13?
(a) His uncertainty about how to achieve revenge.
(b) His decision to mask his grief and anger with politeness, good manners and patience.
(c) His hope for a good marriage for Bel-Imperia.
(d) His right to have revenge for the murder of Horatio.
7. Who gives Isabella advice in Act 3, Scene 8?
(c) Her maid.
(d) A servant.
8. Hieronimo calls to Pedringano, and Lorenzo follows him and tells Pedringano that Bel-Imperia has been hidden by whom?
(c) The viceroy.
9. What is Lorenzo said to be doing in "boiling lead and the blood of innocents"?
10. Which of the following does Isabella not consider in Act 3, Scene 8?
(a) The Underworld
(c) Herbal remedies.
(d) Her son's killers.
11. What does the viceroy say that he will do after the marriage of Bel-Imperia and Balthazar?
(a) Withdraw from public life and devote himself to prayer.
(b) Raise money for orphans.
(c) Build a castle for Balthazar.
(d) Kill Lorenzo.
12. How does Horatio interpret the letter Bel-Imperia left him upon finding it?
(a) As truth.
(b) As a forced letter.
(c) As a trap.
(d) As a misunderstanding.
13. After seeing Hieronimo digging in the ground, what does the King tell Lorenzo to do?
(a) Kill himself.
(b) Kill Hieronimo.
(c) Give Hieronimo the ransom.
(d) Disappear from the kingdom.
14. What will Isabella become on her imaginary journey?
(a) An angel.
15. What excuse does Lorenzo give Bel-Imperia for imprisoning her?
(a) He says it was to persuade her to love Balthazar.
(b) He says it was to prevent grief.
(c) He says it was for her own honor.
(d) He says he was deciding whether to kill her.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Lorenzo tell Castile that he has kept Hieronimo from the king?
2. Which of the following statements describes the depiction of the afterlife in Act 3, Scene 8?
3. How does Pedringano interact with his executioner?
4. How does Balthazar respond to Bel-Imperia's rejection?
5. What does Hieronimo talk to Balthazar about regarding the play in Act 4, Scene 3?
This section contains 545 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)