|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Act 3, Scene 14, the king announces that Bel-Imperia and Balthazar are to be married if what condition is met?
(a) Bel-Imperia agrees.
(b) The viceroy agrees.
(c) Bel-Imperia forgets Horatio.
(d) Balthazar agrees.
2. When Hieronimo is reminded by the citizens of Horatio, he brings out what prop?
(a) The bloody handkerchief.
(b) The silver sword.
(c) The white glove.
(d) The metal cross.
3. In Act 3, Scene 9, what does Bel-Imperia soliloquize about?
(a) Her frustration at Lorenzo for keeping her prisoner.
(b) Her frustration with her father for trying to marry her to Balthazar.
(c) Her dislike for Balthazar.
(d) Her anger at the Hangman for killing Pedringano.
4. How does Balthazar respond to Bel-Imperia's rejection?
(a) He is excited.
(b) He is relieved.
(c) He is calm.
(d) He is wounded.
5. After dismissing the first two citizens in Act 3, Scene 13, for whom does Hieronimo mistake the third citizen?
6. Why is Isabella given advice in Act 3, Scene 8?
(a) To ease her troubled mind.
(b) To put her to sleep eternally.
(c) To help her see Horatio.
(d) To give her more power.
7. After Hieronimo discovers that Balthazar and Lorenzo were definitely behind Horatio's murder, what does he decide to do?
(a) Kill Lorenzo and Balthazar.
(b) Erect a statue in memory of Horatio.
(c) Kill Bel-Imperia to sadden Balthazar.
(d) Go to the king and plead for justice.
8. Where does Isabella imagine herself going after rejecting the advice?
(a) To hell.
(b) To the underworld.
(c) To heaven.
(d) To Portugal.
9. What excuse does Lorenzo give Bel-Imperia for imprisoning her?
(a) He says it was for her own honor.
(b) He says it was to persuade her to love Balthazar.
(c) He says he was deciding whether to kill her.
(d) He says it was to prevent grief.
10. Why does Lorenzo tell Castile that he has kept Hieronimo from the king?
(a) Because Hieronimo will remind the king of Horatio.
(b) Because he is afraid Hieronimo will reveal his crime.
(c) Because Hieronimo is unstable.
(d) Because Hieronimo will prevent the marraige of Balthazar.
11. What has Revenge been doing while Bel-Imperia and Balthazar are planning their wedding and Hieronimo is agreeing to meet Lorenzo?
12. When Bel-Imperia berates Hieronimo for being slow in taking revenge, what does she accuse him of?
(a) Not being a man.
(b) Not loving his son.
(c) Being crazy.
(d) Being a coward.
13. In Act 3, Scene 11, the king comes in with the ambassador, Castile, and Lorenzo, discussing what?
(a) The marriage of Balthazar and Bel-Imperia.
(b) Whether to kill Hieronimo.
(c) Whether the viceroy has received the letters he sent.
(d) The execution of Pedringano.
14. After Balthazar and Bel-Imperia banter about who loves whom, Bel-Imperia leaves having __________.
(a) Convinced Balthazar that she loves him.
(b) Persuaded Lorenzo that she will exact revenge.
(c) Pesuaded Balthazar that she will kill him.
(d) Convinced Balthazar that she doesn't love him.
15. Which of the following statements describes the depiction of the afterlife in Act 3, Scene 8?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act 3, Scene 10, of what does a servant reassure Lorenzo and Balthazar?
2. Who says the way to find Lorenzo is to take the path of a guilty conscience "unto a forest of distrust and fear" and to the "rocky cliffs" of despair and death?
3. In Act 3, Scene 2, Hieronimo speaks _______ rich with emotional, violent imagery of how miserable he is after the death of Horatio and his plans for revenge.
4. Hieronimo calls to Pedringano, and Lorenzo follows him and tells Pedringano that Bel-Imperia has been hidden by whom?
5. From whom do the characters in the play obtain costumes?
This section contains 597 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)