|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long does the king say Balthazar will be kept prisoner in Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) He will be immediately released.
(b) Two months.
(c) Until the tribute is paid.
(d) A lifetime.
2. As Bel-Imperia and Horatio return to the banquet after their private conversation, where does Lorenzo say Horatio's soul is headed soon?
(a) "Trap of marriage."
(b) "True love."
(d) "Eternal night."
3. How does the king interpret the the use of warriors in the play presented at his banquet?
(a) As representative of his own status as a warrior.
(b) As a threat to his safety.
(c) He has no interpretation.
(d) As an insult to his abilities.
4. Which of the following does the Ambassador NOT do in Act 2, Scene 3?
(a) Tell the king the ransom has been paid.
(b) Promise to kill Horatio.
(c) Promise to pass the king's message to the viceroy.
(d) Tell the king that Balthazar has sent his regards.
5. How does the viceroy respond to Alexandro's claims about Balthazar?
(a) He does not believe him.
(b) He is furious.
(c) He is ecstatic.
(d) He wants to take a search party to find him immediately.
6. What does Alexandro tell the viceroy about Balthazar?
(a) That he was given a respectful burial.
(b) That is is well-respected.
(c) That he still lives.
(d) That he is a prisoner.
7. Which of the following characters' motives are exposed and explained in Act 2, Scene 3?
(a) The king's.
(b) The ambassador's.
8. Why does the king want a marriage between Bel-Imperia and Balthazar?
(a) He wants what is best for Bel-Imperia.
(b) It will cement the peace between Spain and Portugal.
(c) He has been bribed by Lorenzo and wants his reward.
(d) He wants what is best for Balthazar.
9. Who is Castile?
(a) Balthazar's father.
(b) Bel-Imperia's father.
(c) Bel-Imperia's brother.
(d) Balthazar's brother.
10. How does the ambassador prove to the viceroy that Balthazar is alive?
(a) He vouches for Alexandro's innocence.
(b) He brings a photo of Balthazar.
(c) He gives the viceroy letters from Balthazar.
(d) He tells him that his servant says Balthazar is alive.
11. What does the viceroy complain about as he enters the stage in Act 3, Scene 1?
(a) His misery at Horatio's death.
(b) His glee at the victory of the war.
(c) His misery at the loss of the war.
(d) His misery at Balthazar's death.
12. What does Bel-Imperia drop after her visit with Balthazar in Act 1, Scene 4?
(a) A glove.
(b) A teacup.
(c) A scarf.
(d) A knife.
13. Which of the following characters does not have a say in the marriage between Balthazar and Bel-Imperia?
(a) The king.
14. In what language do Hieronimo and Isabella speak a dirge as they carry Horatio's body away?
15. Which of the following is not a way that the Scene 1 in the play acts?
(a) As foreshadowing.
(b) As a prologue.
(c) As a frame.
(d) As exposition.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Hieronimo dressed when he comes out to investigate Bel-Imperia's calls for help?
2. What does the king ask Castile in Act 2, Scene 3?
3. As Bel-Imperia calls for help after Lorenzo, Balthazar, Pedringano, and Serberine enter disguised, who grabs Bel-Imperia?
4. What does the Ghost complain to Revenge that he should be seeing instead of his friend being slain?
5. Why is Proserpine allowed to return to earth for six months of the year?
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)