|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Alexandro tied to in Act 3, Scene 1?
(b) One of the guards.
(c) A stake.
(d) A large tree.
2. Which of the following does the Ambassador NOT do in Act 2, Scene 3?
(a) Promise to kill Horatio.
(b) Tell the king that Balthazar has sent his regards.
(c) Promise to pass the king's message to the viceroy.
(d) Tell the king the ransom has been paid.
3. What does Hieronimo keep to remind him of Horatio and his need for revenge?
(a) A bloody handkercheif.
(b) A metal cross.
(c) A lock of hair.
(d) A torn glove.
4. Which of the following is not a way that the Scene 1 in the play acts?
(a) As exposition.
(b) As a frame.
(c) As foreshadowing.
(d) As a prologue.
5. When Pedringano appears on stage for the first time, of what does Lorenzo remind him?
(a) That he saved Pedringano from punishment.
(b) That he saved Pedringano's love.
(c) That Pedringano still owes him money.
(d) That he rescued Pedringano from drowning.
6. What does Castile say about Bel-Imperia's feelings for Balthazar in Act 2, Scene 3?
(a) She wants to express her love for him.
(b) She is only pretending not to love him.
(c) She will never love him.
(d) She does not love him.
7. To what play is The Spanish Tragedy a sequel?
(a) "The Tragical History of Doctor Faustus."
(b) "The Jew of Malta."
(c) "The Merry Wives of Windsor."
(d) "The First Part of Hieronimo."
8. Who took Balthazar prisoner during the battle between Portugal and Spain?
(c) Don Pedro.
9. Which of the following characters' motives are exposed and explained in Act 2, Scene 3?
(a) The king's.
(d) The ambassador's.
10. What does the viceroy complain about as he enters the stage in Act 3, Scene 1?
(a) His misery at the loss of the war.
(b) His misery at Horatio's death.
(c) His glee at the victory of the war.
(d) His misery at Balthazar's death.
11. How long does the king say Balthazar will be kept prisoner in Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) A lifetime.
(b) Two months.
(c) Until the tribute is paid.
(d) He will be immediately released.
12. What is the punishment that is meted out to Alexandro?
(a) He is to be beheaded.
(b) He is to be burned.
(c) He is to be hanged.
(d) He is to be shot.
13. Why does Horatio hesitate to tell the story of Andrea's death in the Spanish court?
(a) He says he cared so much about Andrea and telling the story will be painful.
(b) He doesn't believe that Andrea is dead.
(c) He says it is too violent for a woman's ears.
(d) He did not see the death happen.
14. Who are the two warriors/courtiers with whom the viceroy speaks in Act 1, Scene 3?
(a) Don Pedro and Hieronimo.
(b) Lorenzo and Horatio.
(c) Alexandro and Villupo.
(d) Balthazar and Alexandro.
15. When Bel-Imperia tells Pedringano to watch the gate as she and Horatio speak, what does Pedringano do?
(a) Fetches Lorenzo.
(b) Finds Castile.
(c) Watches the gate.
(d) Follows the couple.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Bel-Imperia calls for help after Lorenzo, Balthazar, Pedringano, and Serberine enter disguised, who grabs Bel-Imperia?
2. Does Castile give a time frame for the marriage between Balthazar and Bel-Imperia?
3. Why is Hieronimo expected at the king's banquet in Act 1, Scene 4?
4. As Bel-Imperia and Horatio return to the banquet after their private conversation, where does Lorenzo say Horatio's soul is headed soon?
5. In Act 1, Scene 5, how does Revenge respond to the Ghost's question about why he's being made to sit through a celebration of the man who killed him?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)