|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Alexandro tied to in Act 3, Scene 1?
(a) One of the guards.
(b) A stake.
(c) A large tree.
2. When the king arrives, what reason does Balthazar whisper to Bel-Imperia that he is still alive?
(a) Because he loves her.
(b) Because he is being held for ransom.
(c) Because the Spanish are coming for him.
(d) Because he is a spy.
3. What does the viceroy confirm with the two warriors/courtiers in Act 1, Scene 3?
(a) That an ambassador has been sent to Spain with tribute money.
(b) That Spain has been defeated.
(c) That the war is not yet over.
(d) That Portugal has been defeated.
4. What does Alexandro tell the viceroy about Balthazar?
(a) That he still lives.
(b) That he is a prisoner.
(c) That is is well-respected.
(d) That he was given a respectful burial.
5. Who leads the procession that appears after the trumpet sounds in Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) Lorenzo and Don Pedro.
(b) Lorenzo and Horatio.
(c) Andrea and Balthazar.
(d) Balthazar and Lorenzo.
6. Does Castile give a time frame for the marriage between Balthazar and Bel-Imperia?
(a) Yes, he says it will happen within the year.
(b) No, he says she will come around in time.
(c) No, he says she will not get married.
(d) Yes, he says it will happen in a month.
7. In what language do Hieronimo and Isabella speak a dirge as they carry Horatio's body away?
8. In the Spanish court, who pleads with Horatio to tell her more about the circumstances of Andrea's death, referring poetically to how much she loved him?
9. Who is Horatio's father?
(d) Don Pedro.
10. What does the viceroy complain about as he enters the stage in Act 3, Scene 1?
(a) His misery at the loss of the war.
(b) His misery at Balthazar's death.
(c) His glee at the victory of the war.
(d) His misery at Horatio's death.
11. Where is the viceroy when he speaks with two warriors/courtiers in Act 1, Scene 3?
(a) The Portuguese court.
(b) The Imperial Gardens.
(c) The battlefield.
(d) The Spanish castle.
12. Which of the following literary devices are used to begin Act 2, Scene 1?
(a) An aside.
(c) Rhyming verse.
13. Why does the viceroy order that Alexandro be brought to him in Act 3, Scene 1?
(a) So Alexandro can be executed.
(b) So Alexandro can be rewarded.
(c) So Alexandro can be questioned.
(d) So Alexandro can be released.
14. How does the king greet Balthazar when he receives him as a prisoner?
15. Who challenged Don Pedro during the battle between Portugal and Spain?
Short Answer Questions
1. As Balthazar and Lorenzo watch, why does Bel-Imperia tell Horatio she is still upset?
2. Of what does Lorenzo try to assure Balthazar at the start of Act 2?
3. What reason does the king give Castile for the marriage between Bel-Imperia and Balthazar?
4. Who took Balthazar prisoner during the battle between Portugal and Spain?
5. Where was Andrea slain?
This section contains 581 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)