|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the viceroy confirm with the two warriors/courtiers in Act 1, Scene 3?
(a) That Spain has been defeated.
(b) That the war is not yet over.
(c) That Portugal has been defeated.
(d) That an ambassador has been sent to Spain with tribute money.
2. How does the ambassador prove to the viceroy that Balthazar is alive?
(a) He vouches for Alexandro's innocence.
(b) He brings a photo of Balthazar.
(c) He gives the viceroy letters from Balthazar.
(d) He tells him that his servant says Balthazar is alive.
3. Why does Hieronimo urge Isabella to be calm and conceal her grief after Horatio's death?
(a) Because he wants to pretend that Horatio is alive.
(b) So he can better conduct an investigation.
(c) Because grief is unladylike.
(d) Because she is annoying him.
4. Who are the two warriors/courtiers with whom the viceroy speaks in Act 1, Scene 3?
(a) Alexandro and Villupo.
(b) Lorenzo and Horatio.
(c) Don Pedro and Hieronimo.
(d) Balthazar and Alexandro.
5. Who is Pedringano?
(a) Bel-Imperia's brother.
(b) Lorenzo's brother.
(c) Lorenzo's servant.
(d) Bel-Imperia's servant.
6. Who brings Andrea back to the living from the underworld?
7. Of what does Lorenzo try to assure Balthazar at the start of Act 2?
(a) That he will inherit a position of power.
(b) That Bel-Imperia will love him.
(c) That he is not guilty of murder.
(d) That his life is not at risk.
8. What does the general report about the progress of Spain's war with Portugal in Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) Spain has been defeated and the tribute will be paid.
(b) Spain has won the war and will pay Portugal a tribute.
(c) Portugal has won the war and will pay Spain a tribute.
(d) Portugal has been defeated and the tribute will be paid.
9. How is Hieronimo dressed when he comes out to investigate Bel-Imperia's calls for help?
(a) In a suit.
(b) In armor.
(c) In his nightshirt.
(d) In his underwear.
10. In the myth referenced in the play, what does Proserpine bring with her when she returns to the Earth?
11. When the procession in Act 1, Scene 2 passes by the king, to whom does the king demand a reward be given?
(a) All the soldiers.
(b) Lorenzo and Balthazar.
(c) Andrea and Lorenzo.
(d) Horatio and Balthazar.
12. What does Alexandro tell the viceroy about Balthazar?
(a) That he is a prisoner.
(b) That is is well-respected.
(c) That he still lives.
(d) That he was given a respectful burial.
13. What comment does Villuppo make to his courtier about Alexandro's friendship with Andrea?
(a) That is is admirable.
(b) That it is on-and-off.
(c) That it is false.
(d) That it is horrible.
14. In the underworld, to whom do the governing spirits send Andrea to be judged?
15. How does the king interpret the the use of warriors in the play presented at his banquet?
(a) As an insult to his abilities.
(b) As a threat to his safety.
(c) As representative of his own status as a warrior.
(d) He has no interpretation.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the punishment that is meted out to Alexandro?
2. How does Revenge respond to the Ghost's complaints that he doesn't want to watch his friend being slain?
3. Which of the following does the Ambassador NOT do in Act 2, Scene 3?
4. What is Alexandro tied to in Act 3, Scene 1?
5. What decision do Bel-Imperia and Horatio make as Balthazar and Lorenzo look on?
This section contains 641 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)