|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following does the Ambassador NOT do in Act 2, Scene 3?
(a) Promise to pass the king's message to the viceroy.
(b) Tell the king the ransom has been paid.
(c) Promise to kill Horatio.
(d) Tell the king that Balthazar has sent his regards.
2. Which of the following describes the viceroy's complaints at the beginning of Act 3, Scene 1?
(a) They are written in rhyme.
(b) They are written in blank verse.
(c) They are extravagant.
(d) They are full of alliteration.
3. Why is Proserpine allowed to return to earth for six months of the year?
(a) To be with her mother.
(b) To visit her friends.
(c) To roam the earth in pity.
(d) To exert revenge.
4. Who helps Balthazar and Lorenzo find a hiding place to listen and watch Bel-Imperia and Horatio talk?
5. What does Villuppo reveal to the audience in an aside at the end of Act 1, Scene 3?
(a) That Alexandro is not imprisoned.
(b) That he lied.
(c) That Alexandro is guilty.
(d) That he killed Balthazar.
6. Which of the following characters' motives are exposed and explained in Act 2, Scene 3?
(b) The king's.
(d) The ambassador's.
7. Which of the following literary devices are used to begin Act 2, Scene 1?
(b) An aside.
(c) Rhyming verse.
8. What does Bel-Imperia drop after her visit with Balthazar in Act 1, Scene 4?
(a) A knife.
(b) A teacup.
(c) A glove.
(d) A scarf.
9. Who is with Bel-Imperia when Balthazar arrives in the Spanish court?
10. How does the king interpret the the use of warriors in the play presented at his banquet?
(a) As an insult to his abilities.
(b) As a threat to his safety.
(c) As representative of his own status as a warrior.
(d) He has no interpretation.
11. Why does the viceroy order that Alexandro be brought to him in Act 3, Scene 1?
(a) So Alexandro can be executed.
(b) So Alexandro can be rewarded.
(c) So Alexandro can be questioned.
(d) So Alexandro can be released.
12. How long does the king say Balthazar will be kept prisoner in Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) He will be immediately released.
(b) A lifetime.
(c) Until the tribute is paid.
(d) Two months.
13. As Balthazar and Lorenzo watch, why does Bel-Imperia tell Horatio she is still upset?
(a) She says she still needs time for her wounded heart to rest.
(b) She is starting to have feelings for Balthazar too.
(c) She is not upset.
(d) She has decided that she does not love Horatio.
14. Why does Hieronimo urge Isabella to be calm and conceal her grief after Horatio's death?
(a) So he can better conduct an investigation.
(b) Because he wants to pretend that Horatio is alive.
(c) Because she is annoying him.
(d) Because grief is unladylike.
15. How does the viceroy react when Alexandro protests his innocence?
(a) He screams at him.
(b) He says he feels sorry for him.
(c) He dismisses his sentence.
(d) He refuses to listen.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Serberine?
2. In the myth referenced in the play, what does Proserpine bring with her when she returns to the Earth?
3. How does Pedringano say he found out about Bel-Imperia and Horatio's relationship?
4. When the procession in Act 1, Scene 2 passes by the king, to whom does the king demand a reward be given?
5. In Act 1, Scene 5, how does Revenge respond to the Ghost's question about why he's being made to sit through a celebration of the man who killed him?
This section contains 625 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)