|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the viceroy respond to Alexandro's claims about Balthazar?
(a) He is furious.
(b) He is ecstatic.
(c) He wants to take a search party to find him immediately.
(d) He does not believe him.
2. What did Horatio insist happen to Andrea's body after his death?
(a) Nothing, He doesn't believe Andrea is dead.
(b) He insisted that the body be brought back for a respectful burial.
(c) He insisted that the body be left on the battlefield.
(d) He insisted that the body be burned in a pyre on a ship.
3. Why does Hieronimo urge Isabella to be calm and conceal her grief after Horatio's death?
(a) Because she is annoying him.
(b) Because grief is unladylike.
(c) Because he wants to pretend that Horatio is alive.
(d) So he can better conduct an investigation.
4. In Act 1, Scene 5, how does Revenge respond to the Ghost's question about why he's being made to sit through a celebration of the man who killed him?
(a) Revenge says that he is actually the guilty one.
(b) Revenge says that he likes seeing the Ghost's pain.
(c) Revenge says the joy of all characters will be turned to misery.
(d) Revenge says the characters are not as happy as they seem.
5. What story does Villuppo tell the viceroy about what happened to Balthazar?
(a) Villippo says he killed Balthazar with his own hands.
(b) Villuppo says Balthazar was shot in the back by Alexandro.
(c) Villuppo says Balthazar is indeed alive and is being held prisoner.
(d) Villuppo says Balthazar is indeed alive and will return.
6. Why does Balthazar come to visit Bel-Imperia in the Spanish court?
(a) To court her.
(b) To kill her.
(c) To trick her.
(d) To reveal Andrea's guilt.
7. What comment does Villuppo make to his courtier about Alexandro's friendship with Andrea?
(a) That it is horrible.
(b) That is is admirable.
(c) That it is on-and-off.
(d) That it is false.
8. After finding out that Bel-Imperia has feelings for Horatio, what does Lorenzo say must happen for Bel-Imperia to love Balthazar?
(a) Horatio must be taken out of the picture.
(b) Bel-Imperia must be convinced Balthazar is smarter than Horatio.
(c) Bel-Imperia must be convinced Balthazar is richer than Horatio.
(d) Bel-Imperia must be convinced Balthazar is stronger than Horatio.
9. Immediately after Hieronimo and Isabella lament the death of Horatio and talk about how happy he was at dinner, what does Hieronimo do?
(a) Acts like the body is of a stranger and calls for Horatio.
(b) Arranges a proper burial for Horatio.
(c) Begins to plan his revenge on the men who killed Horatio.
(d) Promises to comfort his wife.
10. Which of the following characters' motives are exposed and explained in Act 2, Scene 3?
(a) The king's.
(b) The ambassador's.
11. To whom does the king send a message via the Portuguese ambassador regarding the marriage of Bel-Imperia and Balthazar?
(b) The viceroy.
12. Why is Andrea told he is brought back from the underworld?
(a) To see how to write a play.
(b) To understand the hatred of humanity.
(c) To see revenge taken on the man who killed him.
(d) To kill his best friend.
13. What does Alexandro beg the viceroy to allow him to do in Act 3, Scene 1?
(a) Kill Villuppo.
(d) Seek vengeance.
14. Which of the following literary devices are used to begin Act 2, Scene 1?
(b) Rhyming verse.
(c) An aside.
15. At the end of Act 3, Scene 1, what are the fates of Villuppo and Alexandro?
(a) Villuppo is to be executed and Alexandro publicly exonerated.
(b) Villuppo is to be executed and Alexandro remain in prison.
(c) Alexandro is to be executed and Villuppo imprisoned.
(d) They are both to be executed.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the underworld, to whom do the governing spirits send Andrea to be judged?
2. Which of the following describes the viceroy's complaints at the beginning of Act 3, Scene 1?
3. Which of the following is not a way that the Scene 1 in the play acts?
4. What does the king ask Castile in Act 2, Scene 3?
5. How does the viceroy react when Alexandro protests his innocence?
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)