|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the general report about the progress of Spain's war with Portugal in Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) Spain has won the war and will pay Portugal a tribute.
(b) Portugal has won the war and will pay Spain a tribute.
(c) Portugal has been defeated and the tribute will be paid.
(d) Spain has been defeated and the tribute will be paid.
2. Why does the viceroy command Alexandro's imprisonment?
(a) He believes that he is a poor soldier.
(b) He believes that he killed Balthazar.
(c) He wants Villuppo to admit his lie.
(d) He believes that he is lying about Villuppo's guilt.
3. Immediately after Hieronimo and Isabella lament the death of Horatio and talk about how happy he was at dinner, what does Hieronimo do?
(a) Promises to comfort his wife.
(b) Begins to plan his revenge on the men who killed Horatio.
(c) Acts like the body is of a stranger and calls for Horatio.
(d) Arranges a proper burial for Horatio.
4. How does the ambassador prove to the viceroy that Balthazar is alive?
(a) He gives the viceroy letters from Balthazar.
(b) He vouches for Alexandro's innocence.
(c) He brings a photo of Balthazar.
(d) He tells him that his servant says Balthazar is alive.
5. Who accompanies the Ghost who appears in Act 1, Scene 1?
6. Who is Pedringano?
(a) Lorenzo's servant.
(b) Lorenzo's brother.
(c) Bel-Imperia's brother.
(d) Bel-Imperia's servant.
7. What does Alexandro beg the viceroy to allow him to do in Act 3, Scene 1?
(c) Seek vengeance.
(d) Kill Villuppo.
8. In Act 1, Scene 5, how does Revenge respond to the Ghost's question about why he's being made to sit through a celebration of the man who killed him?
(a) Revenge says that he is actually the guilty one.
(b) Revenge says the joy of all characters will be turned to misery.
(c) Revenge says the characters are not as happy as they seem.
(d) Revenge says that he likes seeing the Ghost's pain.
9. How does the king interpret the the use of warriors in the play presented at his banquet?
(a) As representative of his own status as a warrior.
(b) He has no interpretation.
(c) As a threat to his safety.
(d) As an insult to his abilities.
10. How does the king greet Balthazar when he receives him as a prisoner?
11. How can the language of the viceroy's soliloquy (really an aside) in Act 1, Scene 3 be described?
(a) Ravingly mad.
(b) Subtly depressing.
(c) Politely understated.
(d) Emotionally extravagant.
12. What comment does Villuppo make to his courtier about Alexandro's friendship with Andrea?
(a) That it is on-and-off.
(b) That it is horrible.
(c) That is is admirable.
(d) That it is false.
13. What does Lorenzo promise he will do while Balthazar distracts himself with sport and partying?
(a) Convince the viceroy to give Balthazar money.
(b) Convince Revenge to save Balthazar.
(c) Convince Bel-Imperia to love Balthazar.
(d) Convince the king to make Balthazar a general.
14. What does Villuppo reveal to the audience in an aside at the end of Act 1, Scene 3?
(a) That he lied.
(b) That he killed Balthazar.
(c) That Alexandro is guilty.
(d) That Alexandro is not imprisoned.
15. What did Horatio insist happen to Andrea's body after his death?
(a) He insisted that the body be burned in a pyre on a ship.
(b) He insisted that the body be brought back for a respectful burial.
(c) Nothing, He doesn't believe Andrea is dead.
(d) He insisted that the body be left on the battlefield.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following characters' motives are exposed and explained in Act 2, Scene 3?
2. What does Castile say about Bel-Imperia's feelings for Balthazar in Act 2, Scene 3?
3. What decision do Bel-Imperia and Horatio make as Balthazar and Lorenzo look on?
4. About whom does a courtier make a comment to the viceroy, saying that he is surprised could be filled with so much hate in regard to Balthazar's death?
5. Who challenged Don Pedro during the battle between Portugal and Spain?
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)