|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom does Balthazar request as his companion when he is captured?
2. What is Alexandro tied to in Act 3, Scene 1?
(a) A stake.
(c) A large tree.
(d) One of the guards.
3. Why is Andrea told he is brought back from the underworld?
(a) To kill his best friend.
(b) To see revenge taken on the man who killed him.
(c) To see how to write a play.
(d) To understand the hatred of humanity.
4. Does Castile give a time frame for the marriage between Balthazar and Bel-Imperia?
(a) No, he says she will come around in time.
(b) Yes, he says it will happen in a month.
(c) No, he says she will not get married.
(d) Yes, he says it will happen within the year.
5. To whom does the king send a message via the Portuguese ambassador regarding the marriage of Bel-Imperia and Balthazar?
(c) The viceroy.
6. Which of the following characters' motives are exposed and explained in Act 2, Scene 3?
(b) The ambassador's.
(d) The king's.
7. Which of the following describes the viceroy's complaints at the beginning of Act 3, Scene 1?
(a) They are full of alliteration.
(b) They are written in rhyme.
(c) They are written in blank verse.
(d) They are extravagant.
8. When Pedringano says he does not know whom Bel-Imperia is in love with, how does Lorenzo respond?
(a) He begins crying in despair.
(b) He drops the subject.
(c) He sighs in frustration.
(d) He draws his sword.
9. Who took Balthazar prisoner during the battle between Portugal and Spain?
(a) Don Pedro.
10. In what language do Hieronimo and Isabella speak a dirge as they carry Horatio's body away?
11. Once Villuppo tells the viceroy what happened to Balthazar, what does the viceroy say?
(a) The viceroy accuses Alexandro of accepting a bribe.
(b) The viceroy praises Villuppo's bravery.
(c) The viceroy accuses Villuppo of accepting a bribe.
(d) The viceroy praises Alexandro's bravery.
12. Who is with Bel-Imperia when Balthazar arrives in the Spanish court?
13. How does the king greet Balthazar when he receives him as a prisoner?
14. Why is Hieronimo expected at the king's banquet in Act 1, Scene 4?
(a) To deliver the tribute.
(b) To provide the entertainment.
(c) He is not invited.
(d) To cater the party.
15. Why does Hieronimo urge Isabella to be calm and conceal her grief after Horatio's death?
(a) Because she is annoying him.
(b) Because he wants to pretend that Horatio is alive.
(c) Because grief is unladylike.
(d) So he can better conduct an investigation.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Bel-Imperia tells Pedringano to watch the gate as she and Horatio speak, what does Pedringano do?
2. Why does the viceroy order that Alexandro be brought to him in Act 3, Scene 1?
3. What does the viceroy complain about as he enters the stage in Act 3, Scene 1?
4. When Pedringano appears on stage for the first time, of what does Lorenzo remind him?
5. Which of the following characters is not present when a general reports to progress of Spain's war with Portugal in Act 1, Scene 2?
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)