Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following characters is not present when a general reports to progress of Spain's war with Portugal in Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) The Spanish king.
(b) The Duke of Castile.
(c) Don Pedro.
2. Why does the viceroy order that Alexandro be brought to him in Act 3, Scene 1?
(a) So Alexandro can be rewarded.
(b) So Alexandro can be executed.
(c) So Alexandro can be questioned.
(d) So Alexandro can be released.
3. Why is Andrea told he is brought back from the underworld?
(a) To see how to write a play.
(b) To see revenge taken on the man who killed him.
(c) To understand the hatred of humanity.
(d) To kill his best friend.
4. How does Revenge respond to the Ghost's complaints that he doesn't want to watch his friend being slain?
(a) Soon he will see what he wants to see.
(b) Revenge picked the wrong man to kill.
(c) Revenge will only do what he wants to do.
(d) He doesn't get to pick what he sees.
5. What does the king ask Castile in Act 2, Scene 3?
(a) How Bel-Imperia feels about being courted by Balthazar.
(b) When Bel-Imperia and Balthazar will marry.
(c) If Bel-Imperia is faking her love.
(d) If Castile approves of the marriage between Bel-Imperia and Balthazar.
6. Why does the viceroy command Alexandro's imprisonment?
(a) He believes that he is lying about Villuppo's guilt.
(b) He believes that he is a poor soldier.
(c) He believes that he killed Balthazar.
(d) He wants Villuppo to admit his lie.
7. Who is Castile?
(a) Balthazar's father.
(b) Balthazar's brother.
(c) Bel-Imperia's brother.
(d) Bel-Imperia's father.
8. What does the king tell Castile to do at the end of Act 2, Scene 3?
(a) Pray to God to bring Andrea back.
(b) Meet Balthazar privately.
(c) Pay a higher ransom to obtain Balthazar.
(d) Convince Bel-Imperia to open her heart to Balthazar.
9. What does Villuppo reveal to the audience in an aside at the end of Act 1, Scene 3?
(a) That Alexandro is guilty.
(b) That he killed Balthazar.
(c) That he lied.
(d) That Alexandro is not imprisoned.
10. Why is Proserpine allowed to return to earth for six months of the year?
(a) To be with her mother.
(b) To visit her friends.
(c) To roam the earth in pity.
(d) To exert revenge.
11. What does Alexandro tell the viceroy about Balthazar?
(a) That he is a prisoner.
(b) That he still lives.
(c) That is is well-respected.
(d) That he was given a respectful burial.
12. Which title does Balthazar hold?
13. Which of the following literary devices are used to begin Act 2, Scene 1?
(b) Rhyming verse.
(c) An aside.
14. How does the ambassador prove to the viceroy that Balthazar is alive?
(a) He vouches for Alexandro's innocence.
(b) He tells him that his servant says Balthazar is alive.
(c) He brings a photo of Balthazar.
(d) He gives the viceroy letters from Balthazar.
15. What is the punishment that is meted out to Alexandro?
(a) He is to be shot.
(b) He is to be beheaded.
(c) He is to be burned.
(d) He is to be hanged.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does the viceroy not lament during his aside to his two courtiers?
2. Which of the following characters' motives are exposed and explained in Act 2, Scene 3?
3. Once Villuppo tells the viceroy what happened to Balthazar, what does the viceroy say?
4. How does the king interpret the the use of warriors in the play presented at his banquet?
5. Why does Horatio hesitate to tell the story of Andrea's death in the Spanish court?
This section contains 661 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)