|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following does the Ambassador NOT do in Act 2, Scene 3?
(a) Promise to pass the king's message to the viceroy.
(b) Tell the king the ransom has been paid.
(c) Tell the king that Balthazar has sent his regards.
(d) Promise to kill Horatio.
2. How do Lorenzo and the others kill Horatio?
(a) Shoot him and stab him.
(b) Draw and quarter him.
(c) Hang him and stab him.
(d) Trample him with a horse.
3. When Pedringano says he does not know whom Bel-Imperia is in love with, how does Lorenzo respond?
(a) He draws his sword.
(b) He begins crying in despair.
(c) He sighs in frustration.
(d) He drops the subject.
4. What does Lorenzo promise he will do while Balthazar distracts himself with sport and partying?
(a) Convince the viceroy to give Balthazar money.
(b) Convince Bel-Imperia to love Balthazar.
(c) Convince the king to make Balthazar a general.
(d) Convince Revenge to save Balthazar.
5. As Bel-Imperia calls for help after Lorenzo, Balthazar, Pedringano, and Serberine enter disguised, who grabs Bel-Imperia?
6. Who is the king's nephew?
7. What is Alexandro tied to in Act 3, Scene 1?
(b) A stake.
(c) A large tree.
(d) One of the guards.
8. Where is the viceroy when he speaks with two warriors/courtiers in Act 1, Scene 3?
(a) The battlefield.
(b) The Imperial Gardens.
(c) The Portuguese court.
(d) The Spanish castle.
9. What does the Ghost complain to Revenge that he should be seeing instead of his friend being slain?
(a) The exhaltation of Horatio.
(b) The happiness of Bel-Imperia.
(c) The death of Balthazar.
(d) The death of Lorenzo.
10. In the myth referenced in the play, what does Proserpine bring with her when she returns to the Earth?
11. If Balthazar and Bel-Imperia have a son, over which country will he be king?
(a) Only Portugal.
(b) Both Spain and Portugal.
(c) Neither Spain nor Portugal.
(d) Only Spain.
12. Why does Horatio hesitate to tell the story of Andrea's death in the Spanish court?
(a) He doesn't believe that Andrea is dead.
(b) He says it is too violent for a woman's ears.
(c) He did not see the death happen.
(d) He says he cared so much about Andrea and telling the story will be painful.
13. Which of the following characters' motives are exposed and explained in Act 2, Scene 3?
(a) The ambassador's.
(b) The king's.
14. How does the viceroy react when Alexandro protests his innocence?
(a) He says he feels sorry for him.
(b) He dismisses his sentence.
(c) He refuses to listen.
(d) He screams at him.
15. What story does Villuppo tell the viceroy about what happened to Balthazar?
(a) Villuppo says Balthazar is indeed alive and is being held prisoner.
(b) Villuppo says Balthazar is indeed alive and will return.
(c) Villuppo says Balthazar was shot in the back by Alexandro.
(d) Villippo says he killed Balthazar with his own hands.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the king tell Castile to do at the end of Act 2, Scene 3?
2. In Act 1, Scene 5, how does Revenge respond to the Ghost's question about why he's being made to sit through a celebration of the man who killed him?
3. What excuse does Villuppo give for lying about Balthazar's death?
4. Who is Serberine?
5. What does Bel-Imperia drop after her visit with Balthazar in Act 1, Scene 4?
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)