|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Proserpine allowed to return to earth for six months of the year?
(a) To visit her friends.
(b) To be with her mother.
(c) To roam the earth in pity.
(d) To exert revenge.
2. Where is the viceroy when he speaks with two warriors/courtiers in Act 1, Scene 3?
(a) The Portuguese court.
(b) The Imperial Gardens.
(c) The battlefield.
(d) The Spanish castle.
3. When Pedringano appears on stage for the first time, of what does Lorenzo remind him?
(a) That he saved Pedringano from punishment.
(b) That he rescued Pedringano from drowning.
(c) That he saved Pedringano's love.
(d) That Pedringano still owes him money.
4. Which title does Balthazar hold?
5. Who challenged Don Pedro during the battle between Portugal and Spain?
6. How does the audience know what Balthazar and Lorenzo are thinking as they secretly watch Bel-Imperia and Horatio?
(a) The audience does not know what they are thinking.
(b) Balthazar and Lorenzo mime what they are thinking.
(c) Balthazar and Lorenzo interject comments that the other characters cannot hear.
(d) Balthazar and Lorenzo hold up signs showing what they are thinking.
7. When the king arrives, what reason does Balthazar whisper to Bel-Imperia that he is still alive?
(a) Because he is a spy.
(b) Because the Spanish are coming for him.
(c) Because he is being held for ransom.
(d) Because he loves her.
8. Why does Balthazar come to visit Bel-Imperia in the Spanish court?
(a) To trick her.
(b) To reveal Andrea's guilt.
(c) To kill her.
(d) To court her.
9. Who helps Balthazar and Lorenzo find a hiding place to listen and watch Bel-Imperia and Horatio talk?
10. How does the viceroy respond to Alexandro's claims about Balthazar?
(a) He does not believe him.
(b) He is ecstatic.
(c) He is furious.
(d) He wants to take a search party to find him immediately.
11. Who brings Andrea back to the living from the underworld?
12. How is Hieronimo dressed when he comes out to investigate Bel-Imperia's calls for help?
(a) In his underwear.
(b) In his nightshirt.
(c) In a suit.
(d) In armor.
13. To what play is The Spanish Tragedy a sequel?
(a) "The Jew of Malta."
(b) "The First Part of Hieronimo."
(c) "The Merry Wives of Windsor."
(d) "The Tragical History of Doctor Faustus."
14. What excuse does Villuppo give for lying about Balthazar's death?
(a) He says he wanted to kill Balthazar.
(b) He says he hates Alexandro.
(c) He says he wanted to gain the viceroy's favor.
(d) He says Balthazar desired to escape.
15. Why does Hieronimo urge Isabella to be calm and conceal her grief after Horatio's death?
(a) So he can better conduct an investigation.
(b) Because she is annoying him.
(c) Because grief is unladylike.
(d) Because he wants to pretend that Horatio is alive.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of what does Lorenzo try to assure Balthazar at the start of Act 2?
2. What does Lorenzo promise he will do while Balthazar distracts himself with sport and partying?
3. What does Alexandro tell the viceroy about Balthazar?
4. Who is Horatio's father?
5. Who is with Bel-Imperia when Balthazar arrives in the Spanish court?
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)