|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Of what does Lorenzo try to assure Balthazar at the start of Act 2?
(a) That Bel-Imperia will love him.
(b) That he will inherit a position of power.
(c) That he is not guilty of murder.
(d) That his life is not at risk.
2. What does Castile say about Bel-Imperia's feelings for Balthazar in Act 2, Scene 3?
(a) She does not love him.
(b) She will never love him.
(c) She wants to express her love for him.
(d) She is only pretending not to love him.
3. What reason does the king give Castile for the marriage between Bel-Imperia and Balthazar?
(a) If she doesn't marry him, she is doing herself and her country a disservice.
(b) He will reward Castile by giving him money.
(c) The marriage will cause a permanent separation of Spain and France.
(d) Bel-Imperia and Balthazar are in love.
4. Why is Proserpine allowed to return to earth for six months of the year?
(a) To exert revenge.
(b) To roam the earth in pity.
(c) To be with her mother.
(d) To visit her friends.
5. Why is Andrea told he is brought back from the underworld?
(a) To kill his best friend.
(b) To understand the hatred of humanity.
(c) To see how to write a play.
(d) To see revenge taken on the man who killed him.
6. Why does the viceroy order that Alexandro be brought to him in Act 3, Scene 1?
(a) So Alexandro can be questioned.
(b) So Alexandro can be released.
(c) So Alexandro can be executed.
(d) So Alexandro can be rewarded.
7. How do the king and his people celebrate their victory in the battle against Portugal?
(a) With a new war.
(b) With a feast.
(c) With a parade.
(d) With a ball.
8. Which of the following is not a way that the Scene 1 in the play acts?
(a) As exposition.
(b) As a prologue.
(c) As a frame.
(d) As foreshadowing.
9. Which of the following characters does not have a say in the marriage between Balthazar and Bel-Imperia?
(a) The king.
10. Where is the viceroy when he speaks with two warriors/courtiers in Act 1, Scene 3?
(a) The Portuguese court.
(b) The Spanish castle.
(c) The Imperial Gardens.
(d) The battlefield.
11. What is the punishment that is meted out to Alexandro?
(a) He is to be burned.
(b) He is to be shot.
(c) He is to be hanged.
(d) He is to be beheaded.
12. How does the ambassador prove to the viceroy that Balthazar is alive?
(a) He vouches for Alexandro's innocence.
(b) He tells him that his servant says Balthazar is alive.
(c) He brings a photo of Balthazar.
(d) He gives the viceroy letters from Balthazar.
13. When Pedringano appears on stage for the first time, of what does Lorenzo remind him?
(a) That he saved Pedringano from punishment.
(b) That Pedringano still owes him money.
(c) That he rescued Pedringano from drowning.
(d) That he saved Pedringano's love.
14. Why is Hieronimo expected at the king's banquet in Act 1, Scene 4?
(a) To deliver the tribute.
(b) To provide the entertainment.
(c) To cater the party.
(d) He is not invited.
15. How does Revenge respond to the Ghost's complaints that he doesn't want to watch his friend being slain?
(a) Soon he will see what he wants to see.
(b) He doesn't get to pick what he sees.
(c) Revenge picked the wrong man to kill.
(d) Revenge will only do what he wants to do.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the general report about the progress of Spain's war with Portugal in Act 1, Scene 2?
2. Who is with Bel-Imperia when Balthazar arrives in the Spanish court?
3. What decision do Bel-Imperia and Horatio make as Balthazar and Lorenzo look on?
4. Why does the king want a marriage between Bel-Imperia and Balthazar?
5. What is Alexandro tied to in Act 3, Scene 1?
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)