|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the king tell Castile to do at the end of Act 2, Scene 3?
(a) Pay a higher ransom to obtain Balthazar.
(b) Meet Balthazar privately.
(c) Pray to God to bring Andrea back.
(d) Convince Bel-Imperia to open her heart to Balthazar.
2. Who accompanies the Ghost who appears in Act 1, Scene 1?
3. Who is Pedringano?
(a) Bel-Imperia's servant.
(b) Bel-Imperia's brother.
(c) Lorenzo's brother.
(d) Lorenzo's servant.
4. Who is with Bel-Imperia when Balthazar arrives in the Spanish court?
5. Why does Hieronimo urge Isabella to be calm and conceal her grief after Horatio's death?
(a) So he can better conduct an investigation.
(b) Because she is annoying him.
(c) Because grief is unladylike.
(d) Because he wants to pretend that Horatio is alive.
6. Who leads the procession that appears after the trumpet sounds in Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) Lorenzo and Don Pedro.
(b) Balthazar and Lorenzo.
(c) Andrea and Balthazar.
(d) Lorenzo and Horatio.
7. How does the viceroy react when Alexandro protests his innocence?
(a) He screams at him.
(b) He dismisses his sentence.
(c) He refuses to listen.
(d) He says he feels sorry for him.
8. Whom does Balthazar request as his companion when he is captured?
9. At the end of Act 3, Scene 1, what are the fates of Villuppo and Alexandro?
(a) Alexandro is to be executed and Villuppo imprisoned.
(b) They are both to be executed.
(c) Villuppo is to be executed and Alexandro publicly exonerated.
(d) Villuppo is to be executed and Alexandro remain in prison.
10. In the Spanish court, who pleads with Horatio to tell her more about the circumstances of Andrea's death, referring poetically to how much she loved him?
11. What does Villuppo reveal to the audience in an aside at the end of Act 1, Scene 3?
(a) That Alexandro is not imprisoned.
(b) That Alexandro is guilty.
(c) That he killed Balthazar.
(d) That he lied.
12. In Act 1, Scene 5, how does Revenge respond to the Ghost's question about why he's being made to sit through a celebration of the man who killed him?
(a) Revenge says that he likes seeing the Ghost's pain.
(b) Revenge says the characters are not as happy as they seem.
(c) Revenge says that he is actually the guilty one.
(d) Revenge says the joy of all characters will be turned to misery.
13. How does the audience know what Balthazar and Lorenzo are thinking as they secretly watch Bel-Imperia and Horatio?
(a) Balthazar and Lorenzo interject comments that the other characters cannot hear.
(b) The audience does not know what they are thinking.
(c) Balthazar and Lorenzo mime what they are thinking.
(d) Balthazar and Lorenzo hold up signs showing what they are thinking.
14. Where was Andrea slain?
(a) In a cave.
(b) In the forest.
(c) In a battle.
(d) In his castle.
15. What does the viceroy confirm with the two warriors/courtiers in Act 1, Scene 3?
(a) That the war is not yet over.
(b) That an ambassador has been sent to Spain with tribute money.
(c) That Portugal has been defeated.
(d) That Spain has been defeated.
Short Answer Questions
1. About whom does a courtier make a comment to the viceroy, saying that he is surprised could be filled with so much hate in regard to Balthazar's death?
2. In the myth referenced in the play, what does Proserpine bring with her when she returns to the Earth?
3. Why does Balthazar come to visit Bel-Imperia in the Spanish court?
4. Which title does Balthazar hold?
5. Why does the king want a marriage between Bel-Imperia and Balthazar?
This section contains 611 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)