|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Pedringano appears on stage for the first time, of what does Lorenzo remind him?
(a) That Pedringano still owes him money.
(b) That he rescued Pedringano from drowning.
(c) That he saved Pedringano from punishment.
(d) That he saved Pedringano's love.
2. Immediately after Hieronimo and Isabella lament the death of Horatio and talk about how happy he was at dinner, what does Hieronimo do?
(a) Promises to comfort his wife.
(b) Acts like the body is of a stranger and calls for Horatio.
(c) Begins to plan his revenge on the men who killed Horatio.
(d) Arranges a proper burial for Horatio.
3. How do the king and his people celebrate their victory in the battle against Portugal?
(a) With a parade.
(b) With a feast.
(c) With a new war.
(d) With a ball.
4. What excuse does Villuppo give for lying about Balthazar's death?
(a) He says he wanted to kill Balthazar.
(b) He says he wanted to gain the viceroy's favor.
(c) He says Balthazar desired to escape.
(d) He says he hates Alexandro.
5. Why does the viceroy order that Alexandro be brought to him in Act 3, Scene 1?
(a) So Alexandro can be rewarded.
(b) So Alexandro can be executed.
(c) So Alexandro can be released.
(d) So Alexandro can be questioned.
6. As Bel-Imperia and Horatio return to the banquet after their private conversation, where does Lorenzo say Horatio's soul is headed soon?
(a) "True love."
(b) "Eternal night."
(d) "Trap of marriage."
7. When the procession in Act 1, Scene 2 passes by the king, to whom does the king demand a reward be given?
(a) Andrea and Lorenzo.
(b) Lorenzo and Balthazar.
(c) Horatio and Balthazar.
(d) All the soldiers.
8. Which of the following characters is not present when a general reports to progress of Spain's war with Portugal in Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) The Duke of Castile.
(c) Don Pedro.
(d) The Spanish king.
9. Who helps Balthazar and Lorenzo find a hiding place to listen and watch Bel-Imperia and Horatio talk?
10. After finding out that Bel-Imperia has feelings for Horatio, what does Lorenzo say must happen for Bel-Imperia to love Balthazar?
(a) Horatio must be taken out of the picture.
(b) Bel-Imperia must be convinced Balthazar is stronger than Horatio.
(c) Bel-Imperia must be convinced Balthazar is richer than Horatio.
(d) Bel-Imperia must be convinced Balthazar is smarter than Horatio.
11. How does the king greet Balthazar when he receives him as a prisoner?
12. Who is the king's nephew?
13. Which of the following literary devices are used to begin Act 2, Scene 1?
(c) Rhyming verse.
(d) An aside.
14. What comment does Villuppo make to his courtier about Alexandro's friendship with Andrea?
(a) That is is admirable.
(b) That it is false.
(c) That it is horrible.
(d) That it is on-and-off.
15. Who is the god of the dead?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does the Ambassador NOT do in Act 2, Scene 3?
2. What does the viceroy confirm with the two warriors/courtiers in Act 1, Scene 3?
3. Who brings Andrea back to the living from the underworld?
4. Why does the viceroy command Alexandro's imprisonment?
5. To what play is The Spanish Tragedy a sequel?
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)