|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the king tell Castile to do at the end of Act 2, Scene 3?
(a) Pray to God to bring Andrea back.
(b) Pay a higher ransom to obtain Balthazar.
(c) Meet Balthazar privately.
(d) Convince Bel-Imperia to open her heart to Balthazar.
2. What is Alexandro tied to in Act 3, Scene 1?
(a) One of the guards.
(b) A large tree.
(d) A stake.
3. How does Hieronimo recognize Horatio's body after he is hanged?
(a) From his face.
(b) From his shoes.
(c) From his watch.
(d) From his clothes.
4. How do the king and his people celebrate their victory in the battle against Portugal?
(a) With a feast.
(b) With a ball.
(c) With a new war.
(d) With a parade.
5. What does the general report about the progress of Spain's war with Portugal in Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) Portugal has been defeated and the tribute will be paid.
(b) Spain has won the war and will pay Portugal a tribute.
(c) Portugal has won the war and will pay Spain a tribute.
(d) Spain has been defeated and the tribute will be paid.
6. Which of the following does the viceroy not lament during his aside to his two courtiers?
(a) Spending too much money on the war.
(b) Being defeated.
(c) Balthazar being lost to him.
(d) Having not killed enough enemies.
7. Why does the viceroy command Alexandro's imprisonment?
(a) He believes that he is lying about Villuppo's guilt.
(b) He believes that he killed Balthazar.
(c) He believes that he is a poor soldier.
(d) He wants Villuppo to admit his lie.
8. Where is the viceroy when he speaks with two warriors/courtiers in Act 1, Scene 3?
(a) The Imperial Gardens.
(b) The Portuguese court.
(c) The battlefield.
(d) The Spanish castle.
9. Why is Hieronimo expected at the king's banquet in Act 1, Scene 4?
(a) To deliver the tribute.
(b) To cater the party.
(c) To provide the entertainment.
(d) He is not invited.
10. Who is the king's nephew?
11. Who is the god of the dead?
12. As Bel-Imperia and Horatio return to the banquet after their private conversation, where does Lorenzo say Horatio's soul is headed soon?
(a) "True love."
(c) "Eternal night."
(d) "Trap of marriage."
13. Why is Proserpine allowed to return to earth for six months of the year?
(a) To visit her friends.
(b) To roam the earth in pity.
(c) To exert revenge.
(d) To be with her mother.
14. How does the audience know what Balthazar and Lorenzo are thinking as they secretly watch Bel-Imperia and Horatio?
(a) Balthazar and Lorenzo mime what they are thinking.
(b) Balthazar and Lorenzo interject comments that the other characters cannot hear.
(c) The audience does not know what they are thinking.
(d) Balthazar and Lorenzo hold up signs showing what they are thinking.
15. What comment does Villuppo make to his courtier about Alexandro's friendship with Andrea?
(a) That it is false.
(b) That it is on-and-off.
(c) That it is horrible.
(d) That is is admirable.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who challenged Don Pedro during the battle between Portugal and Spain?
2. Who accompanies the Ghost who appears in Act 1, Scene 1?
3. What does the viceroy confirm with the two warriors/courtiers in Act 1, Scene 3?
4. What excuse does Villuppo give for lying about Balthazar's death?
5. How do Lorenzo and the others kill Horatio?
This section contains 589 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)