|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1, Scenes 4 and 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who challenged Don Pedro during the battle between Portugal and Spain?
2. What does the general report about the progress of Spain's war with Portugal in Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) Spain has been defeated and the tribute will be paid.
(b) Portugal has been defeated and the tribute will be paid.
(c) Portugal has won the war and will pay Spain a tribute.
(d) Spain has won the war and will pay Portugal a tribute.
3. In the myth referenced in the play, what does Proserpine bring with her when she returns to the Earth?
4. Why is Proserpine allowed to return to earth for six months of the year?
(a) To exert revenge.
(b) To roam the earth in pity.
(c) To be with her mother.
(d) To visit her friends.
5. Which of the following is not a way that the Scene 1 in the play acts?
(a) As foreshadowing.
(b) As a frame.
(c) As a prologue.
(d) As exposition.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Hieronimo expected at the king's banquet in Act 1, Scene 4?
2. How can the language of the viceroy's soliloquy (really an aside) in Act 1, Scene 3 be described?
3. Who is with Bel-Imperia when Balthazar arrives in the Spanish court?
4. Where was Andrea slain?
5. Which of the following does the viceroy not lament during his aside to his two courtiers?
This section contains 270 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)