|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the Chinese researching as Wilbur and Eliza work with Dr. Cordiner?
2. Wilbur and Eliza tell the household their sudden intelligence is what?
3. Dr. Cordiner believes Eliza to be incapable of what?
4. What is the mansion Eliza and Wilbur live in surrounded by?
5. Kurt Vonnegut's family had a cottage on what lake?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Dr. Cordiner belittles Wilbur and Eliza in front of their mother, how does Letitia react?
2. Once Eliza is out of the institution, what is her opinion of Wilbur?
3. Why does Kurt Vonnegut admire the performances of Laurel and Hardy?
4. What do Wilbur and Eliza discover about gravity?
5. When Wilbur and Eliza are separated, what do they do to cope?
6. While Wilbur excels in school, what happens to Eliza?
7. Why are Wilbur and Eliza sent away to live at the mansion instead of with their parents?
8. What is Wilbur doing at the beginning of Slapstick: Or, Lonesome No More!?
9. When Dr. Mott learns the truth about Wilbur and Eliza, how does he react?
10. Who does Kurt Vonnegut consider his family, in addition to his immediate family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Once the Green Death has hit Manhattan, the bar for knowledge drops substantially. Examine the lack of traditional intelligence in the futuristic United States, citing examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
As Wilbur gets older, the country begins a slow return to basics. Characters begin riding horses, hunting, and returning to simple entertainment such as Backgammon.
1) What prompts this return to basics?
2) How is this different from how Wilbur was raised?
3) How does Wilbur respond in this new environment?
Essay Topic 3
Dr. Mott affects Wilbur's life in several different ways. Write an essay examining the impact Dr. Mott made on Wilbur's life.
1) What was Dr. Mott's role in Wilbur's life?
2) Why did Dr. Mott leave such a strong impression on Wilbur?
3) How does Dr. Mott shape Wilbur's future?
This section contains 563 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)