|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When do Bernard and Kurt Vonnegut show physical affection?
2. Wilbur was born with a total of how many fingers and toes?
3. During the Prologue, what does Kurt daydream about on the plane ride?
4. Wilbur and Eliza refer to the sound of the whippoorwill as what?
5. Dr. Cordiner believes Wilbur is capable of having a career in what field?
Short Essay Questions
1. Once Eliza is out of the institution, what is her opinion of Wilbur?
2. Who does Kurt Vonnegut consider his family, in addition to his immediate family?
3. While Wilbur excels in school, what happens to Eliza?
4. Wilbur believes that Elihu added Roosevelt to his name for what purpose?
5. Why do the servants at the mansion believe it is haunted?
6. What do Wilbur and Eliza reveal to their parents on a bed sheet?
7. In what style does Kurt Vonnegut intend to write Slapstick: Or, Lonesome No More!?
8. When their father seems conflicted about their intelligence, how do Wilbur and Eliza react?
9. Following her stay in the mental institution, what does Eliza think of the United States?
10. What is Wilbur's mood at the beginning of Slapstick: Or, Lonesome No More!?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Once the Green Death has hit Manhattan, the bar for knowledge drops substantially. Examine the lack of traditional intelligence in the futuristic United States, citing examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
When Wilbur and Eliza's parents visit them for their 15th birthday, the visit does not go as planned. Write an essay examining why this visit forced the circumstances of the children to change.
1) How does a typical birthday celebration play out for Wilbur and Eliza?
2) Why was this birthday different?
3) Why are the characters prompted to change.
Essay Topic 3
Wilbur and Eliza reveal their intelligence to their caretakers at the mansion in a cautious and deliberate fashion. Analyze this reveal and its results.
1) What actions do they take to reveal the truth about their intelligence?
2) What actions do they take to protect the adults when they learn the truth?
3) What actions do they take when they do not receive the response they were expecting?
This section contains 588 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)