|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What items got Gramma fired from her job?
2. Why can't George invoke the name given to him by Aunt Flo?
3. What does Richard Pine do after he breaks his ankle?
4. In what room of the museum is the looking glass kept?
5. Where are Nona and the narrator heading?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of the opening in "The Man Who Would Not Shake Hands"?
2. What is an example of a metaphor used in "Beachworld" and what comparison is it trying to convey?
3. Compare Henry and Reg and how their relationship affected them both.
4. What type of irony can be found within "Survivor Type"? Be sure to use examples from the text to support your theory.
5. Henry encourages a writer who apparently believes in the whimsical creatures about which he writes. Henry begins the encouragement out of amusement and boredom. Do you think the resulting actions leading to the writer's death were what Henry expected to happen?
6. Henry finally shares his story with a few close friends years later about Reg and the Fornits. Why do you think it took him so long to share this information?
7. Quentin seems terrified of Uncle Otto's truck himself, especially after seeing first hand what happened to Uncle Otto. What does Quentin fear the most?
8. Rocky is dismayed and angered that the milkman, Spike, impregnated his wife. Spike seems not the least bit intimidated, possibly even enjoying Rocky's discomfort. Do you think Spike did what he did in order to specifically anger Rocky, or do you think Spike doesn't care what anyone thinks?
9. There is a rumor in the family that Gramma did something to Franklin to make him die. Do you think the family is just overreacting to their guilt and loss by blaming it on Gramma?
10. The milkman in King's short stories is certainly not your ordinary milkman. He spreads death rather than cheer with wholesome milk. What about Spike makes his methods that much more unusual?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Symbolism is the use of an object, character, figure, place, or color to represent an abstract idea or concept. Stephen King uses symbolism quite readily in his writing. Give three examples of symbolism in "Skeleton Crew" and describe how the use of those symbols makes the story more interesting.
Essay Topic 2
Using "Skeleton Crew" as your example, describe how Stephen King's writing style brought new fans to the horror genre. What does he use that most other horror writers don't? How does his incorporation of humor add to his stories? What do you think he does differently than other writers? What seems to be "textbook" about his approach to writing?
Essay Topic 3
Charles seems to be a boy with a very active imagination. In "Here There Be Tygers," what appears to be the motivating factor for Charles's tiger lurking in the bathroom (or basement as he calls it)? Is it fear, revenge, motivation, or possibly something else that makes the tiger real for him?
This section contains 1,058 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)