|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did the inventor of the jaunt make his discovery?
(a) In a barn.
(b) In a space station.
(c) In a laboratory.
(d) In his kitchen.
2. How much does Mike Scollay offer to pay the band?
3. What does Brent Norton and his group deny?
(a) That the end of the world is at hand.
(b) Evidence of anything supernatural.
(c) That the fog smells different.
(d) That the fog could possibly be poisonous.
4. What does Curt begin to focus upon when he enters his room?
(a) His finals.
(b) A gun.
(c) The bible.
(d) His pending date.
5. Who is the Greek?
(a) Mike Scollay's business partner.
(b) Mike Scollay's brother-in-law.
(c) Mike Scollay's love interest.
(d) Mike Scollay's rival.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what destination is Mark taking his family by way of the jaunt?
2. What society does Brent Norton head?
3. Who is Mr. Nordoff?
4. What does the narrator of "Paranoid: A Chant" do to avoid cameras?
5. In "The Mist," what precipitates the thick fog?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Paranoid: A Chant," there are several instances in which the narrator is showing how obviously disturbed he is. Give one such example and tell why you think that example fits.
2. In "Here There Be Tygers", Charles returns to his classroom casually after the deaths of his teacher and classmate. What do you think this implies about what Charles has just experienced?
3. The narrator seems to follow a theme throughout the story. What is the main theme the narrator displays?
4. What is the purpose of King's use of a "Wouldn't it be funny if . . . ?" beginning to his short stories? What do you think this method adds to or detracts from his stories?
5. In "Word Processor of the Gods," what do you think about Richard's choice of his brother's family over his own? Is a choice made of faithfulness or greed?
6. The creator of the teleportation device used in the jaunt first experimented with mice. What is the significance of the first trip taken by the mice?
7. Why do you think Charles calls the bathroom the basement in "Here There Be Tygers"?
8. What is the significance of the "Execute" button on the word processor, and how does Richard feel when looking at that button for the first time?
9. In "The Mist," what do you think is the underlying message the story conveys to the reader? Cite examples from the story.
10. In what format is "Paranoid: A Chant" written, and what significance does it lend to the story?
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)