|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is the setting of "The Raft"?
(a) Lake Erie.
(b) Cascade Lake.
(c) Whitewater Lake.
(d) Lake Ponchatrain.
2. Who is Mr. Nordoff?
(a) Lina's neighbor.
(b) Seth's neighbor.
(c) Jonathan's neighbor.
(d) Richard's neighbor.
3. Who is Brent Norton?
(a) The owner of the store.
(b) Mike's neighbor.
(c) The leader of a local athiest cult.
(d) Mrs. Carmody's son.
4. Who has passed away in "The Monkey," prompting family members to clean the home?
(a) The grandmother.
(b) The grandfather.
(c) The uncle.
(d) The aunt.
5. Curt has a poster of whom on his wall?
(a) A WWF wrestler.
(b) Humphrey Bogart.
(c) Farrah Faucett.
(d) Luke Skywalker.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Jonathan killed?
2. At what location do Homer and the narrator for "Mrs. Todd's Shortcut" sit and swap stories?
3. How much does Mike Scollay offer to pay the band?
4. How does Hal's youngest son feel about his older brother's discovery?
5. Where is "The Wedding Gig" set?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what format is "Paranoid: A Chant" written, and what significance does it lend to the story?
2. What is an example of personification in the story "Beachworld"? How does it affect the story? Explain why you chose this example.
3. While Randy is trying to save Deke from being sucked between the cracks in the raft by the black, oil-like creature, what is Randy doing to try and stay sane through the unbelievable situation?
4. "Word Processor of the Gods" could fit into several different genres. Which genre do you think it fits into best and why?
5. Identify a simile from "The Reaper's Image" and explain how the simile adds to the description.
6. Stella uses the same excuse when anyone asks her why she never crossed to the mainland. She would say that she had everything she needed on Goat Island. What do you think Stella finally thought she needed on the mainland that she couldn't get on Goat Island that made her decide to cross The Reach?
7. Foreshadowing is when an event early in the story hints at an event to take place later in the story. Find an example of foreshadowing in "The Man Who Would Not Shake Hands." Cite the foreshadowing event and the event it foreshadows.
8. Think about the setting of "The Man Who Would Not Shake Hands." How does the setting of this story add to its scary feeling?
9. In "Paranoid: A Chant," there are several instances in which the narrator is showing how obviously disturbed he is. Give one such example and tell why you think that example fits.
10. Stella begins seeing ghosts of her family and friends who had died before her, especially that of her husband. What does her husband tell her, and what does that make Stella think about that winter?
This section contains 906 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)