|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With what project are the soldiers trapped in the store affiliated?
(a) Horse Head.
(b) Donkey Run.
2. What did Hal think had happened to the item his oldest son has found?
(a) It had been torn to pieces.
(b) It had been thrown into a well.
(c) It had been burned.
(d) It had been given away.
3. Who is Mike Scollay?
(a) A loan shark.
(b) A small-time racketeer.
(c) A jilted lover.
(d) A mob boss.
4. What had Mark's son done when the attendants put the mask on him?
(a) Held his breath.
(b) Took it off without them knowing.
(c) Poked a hole in it.
(d) Screamed for his mother.
5. What does Curt begin to focus upon when he enters his room?
(a) A gun.
(b) His pending date.
(c) The bible.
(d) His finals.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Curt Garrish when he speaks with several of his peers on his way back to his dorm?
2. Who is the inventor of the jaunt?
3. What does the narrator of "Paranoid: A Chant" do to avoid cameras?
4. How did Richard get the word processor?
5. How does Hal's youngest son feel about his older brother's discovery?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Word Processor of the Gods," what do you think about Richard's choice of his brother's family over his own? Is a choice made of faithfulness or greed?
2. What is the significance of the "Execute" button on the word processor, and how does Richard feel when looking at that button for the first time?
3. What is the purpose of King's use of a "Wouldn't it be funny if . . . ?" beginning to his short stories? What do you think this method adds to or detracts from his stories?
4. Homer compares Mrs. Todd to several goddesses. What is the purpose of this comparison?
5. In "The Mist," what do you think is the underlying message the story conveys to the reader? Cite examples from the story.
6. "Word Processor of the Gods" could fit into several different genres. Which genre do you think it fits into best and why?
7. In "The Raft," Deke twice stops Randy from attempting to save Rachel. Was this the right thing to do, given the circumstances?
8. What do you think Mike Scollay was implying when he told the coronet player that he was going to have to play loud?
9. What is the implied source of the infestation in "The Mist"? How does he make this implication? What do you think King is trying to say with this implication?
10. Why do you think King bases his entire introduction on a seemingly mundane conversation with a friend?
This section contains 936 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)