|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is different about Ophelia every time she returns from one of her trips?
(a) She looks deathly pale.
(b) She is weak.
(c) She looks wildly invigorated.
(d) She looks younger.
2. What is Mrs. Carmody rumored to be?
(a) A witch.
(b) A religious fanatic.
(c) A loose woman.
(d) A psychotic demon worshiper.
3. What happens when Richard hits the "delete" key?
(a) A picture of his wife disappears.
(b) He hears a scream from the kitchen.
(c) The screen goes blank.
4. What happens to Rachel when she leans over to touch the object floating on the lake?
(a) She is mesmerised.
(b) All answers are correct.
(c) She is dissolved.
(d) She is pulled in.
5. How did Richard get the word processor?
(a) It was hidden in the attic.
(b) He found it in an antique shop.
(c) His neighbor gave it to him.
(d) He inherited it from Jonathan.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Here There Be Tygers," what does Charles call the bathroom that leads him to be corrected by his teacher?
2. What happens to Curt Garrish when he speaks with several of his peers on his way back to his dorm?
3. What are the names of Mark's children?
4. To what location do David, Billy, and the neighbor travel after the fog rolls in?
5. With what project are the soldiers trapped in the store affiliated?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of the "Execute" button on the word processor, and how does Richard feel when looking at that button for the first time?
2. Stephen King is apparently trying to make his reader think when reading "The Jaunt." Do you think King wrote this story with that challenge in mind, or do you think he wrote it for pure entertainment?
3. What seems to be the factor linking Mrs. Todd and Homer?
4. The narrator seems to follow a theme throughout the story. What is the main theme the narrator displays?
5. What do you think is the importance of Curt's tale of Cain and Abel?
6. In "Word Processor of the Gods," what do you think about Richard's choice of his brother's family over his own? Is a choice made of faithfulness or greed?
7. "Word Processor of the Gods" could fit into several different genres. Which genre do you think it fits into best and why?
8. Homer compares Mrs. Todd to several goddesses. What is the purpose of this comparison?
9. What is the basic conflict expressed in "The Monkey"? Is there an implied winner? If so, whom or what?
10. In what format is "Paranoid: A Chant" written, and what significance does it lend to the story?
This section contains 915 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)