|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Randy do after 24 hours alone?
(a) He goes mad.
(b) He starts paddling the raft.
(c) He allows himself to be killed.
(d) He makes a run for it.
2. How must the passengers make the jaunt?
(a) In an unconscious state.
(c) In a deprivation chamber.
(d) Dead, but they are revived on arrival.
3. What does Randy do when LaVerne is attacked?
(a) He tries to burn LaVerne's attacker.
(b) He tries to save her.
(c) He pushes her over the edge.
(d) He just watches.
4. Who is the inventor of the jaunt?
(a) Vernon Carmichael.
(b) Vidal Ciccone.
(c) Vincent Caramore.
(d) Victor Carune.
5. What message does the Greek send to Mike?
(a) That Maureen is a fat pig.
(b) That Maureen is his.
(c) That Maureen will never love Mike.
(d) That Maureen will die.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Jonathan killed?
2. Where does Mike originally find the narrator?
3. What does Curt begin to focus upon when he enters his room?
4. Where does the narrator of "Paranoid: A Chant" believe he cannot go?
5. With what project are the soldiers trapped in the store affiliated?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what format is "Paranoid: A Chant" written, and what significance does it lend to the story?
2. In "The Raft," Deke twice stops Randy from attempting to save Rachel. Was this the right thing to do, given the circumstances?
3. What is the significance of the "Execute" button on the word processor, and how does Richard feel when looking at that button for the first time?
4. The narrator seems to follow a theme throughout the story. What is the main theme the narrator displays?
5. "Word Processor of the Gods" could fit into several different genres. Which genre do you think it fits into best and why?
6. Why do you think Charles calls the bathroom the basement in "Here There Be Tygers"?
7. What is the purpose of King's use of a "Wouldn't it be funny if . . . ?" beginning to his short stories? What do you think this method adds to or detracts from his stories?
8. In "The Monkey," what does the stuffed creature represent to Hal? What fears does it reawaken within him?
9. Why do you think King bases his entire introduction on a seemingly mundane conversation with a friend?
10. In "Here There Be Tygers", Charles returns to his classroom casually after the deaths of his teacher and classmate. What do you think this implies about what Charles has just experienced?
This section contains 817 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)