|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What had Mark's son done when the attendants put the mask on him?
(a) Took it off without them knowing.
(b) Held his breath.
(c) Screamed for his mother.
(d) Poked a hole in it.
2. What does the narrator of "Paranoid: A Chant" do to avoid cameras?
(a) Pack himself in ice.
(b) Wrap himself in tinfoil.
(c) Paint all of his windows black.
(d) Paint all of his windows red.
3. What is Mrs. Carmody rumored to be?
(a) A witch.
(b) A loose woman.
(c) A religious fanatic.
(d) A psychotic demon worshiper.
4. How is the relationship between Seth and Richard?
(a) They are estranged.
(b) None of the answers is correct.
(c) They are close.
(d) They are not close but not estranged.
5. Who is the Greek?
(a) Mike Scollay's rival.
(b) Mike Scollay's business partner.
(c) Mike Scollay's love interest.
(d) Mike Scollay's brother-in-law.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who takes the gas first in "The Jaunt"?
2. What does Charles encounter in the bathroom?
3. To what does King's friend compare the pay King receives for "Word Processer of the Gods"?
4. To what destination is Mark taking his family by way of the jaunt?
5. To what location do David, Billy, and the neighbor travel after the fog rolls in?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do you think is the importance of Curt's tale of Cain and Abel?
2. In "Word Processor of the Gods," what do you think about Richard's choice of his brother's family over his own? Is a choice made of faithfulness or greed?
3. What do you think Mike Scollay was implying when he told the coronet player that he was going to have to play loud?
4. Compare/contrast the two rooms in the PAT. Why do you think they are so drastically different?
5. In "The Jaunt," Mark's family is destroyed by Mark's own deception. Given the reasons for his deception, do you think he was justified in his actions.
6. What seems to be the catalyst for Curt's break in sanity?
7. In "The Mist," what do you think is the underlying message the story conveys to the reader? Cite examples from the story.
8. Why do you think King bases his entire introduction on a seemingly mundane conversation with a friend?
9. In "Paranoid: A Chant," there are several instances in which the narrator is showing how obviously disturbed he is. Give one such example and tell why you think that example fits.
10. What significance does the word processor hold for Richard after Jon's death?
This section contains 902 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)