|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who has passed away in "The Monkey," prompting family members to clean the home?
(a) The grandfather.
(b) The grandmother.
(c) The aunt.
(d) The uncle.
2. Who is Jonathan to Richard Hagstrom?
(a) His nephew.
(b) His brother.
(c) His son.
(d) His grandfather.
3. Who is Mr. Nordoff?
(a) Richard's neighbor.
(b) Seth's neighbor.
(c) Jonathan's neighbor.
(d) Lina's neighbor.
4. In "The Mist," what precipitates the thick fog?
(a) An unusual drop in temperature.
(b) A strange smell.
(c) A foghorn.
(d) A thunderstorm.
5. Who is Lina to Richard Hagstrom?
(a) His daughter.
(b) His sister.
(c) His wife.
(d) His niece.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Here There Be Tygers," what does Charles call the bathroom that leads him to be corrected by his teacher?
2. What society does Brent Norton head?
3. What does Hal's oldest son find in the attic?
4. In what year is "The Wedding Gig" set?
5. How many students get together to swim to the raft in the middle of the lake?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the purpose of King's use of a "Wouldn't it be funny if . . . ?" beginning to his short stories? What do you think this method adds to or detracts from his stories?
2. The milkman in King's short stories is certainly not your ordinary milkman. He spreads death rather than cheer with wholesome milk. What about Spike makes his methods that much more unusual?
3. What seems to be the factor linking Mrs. Todd and Homer?
4. What type of irony can be found within "Survivor Type"? Be sure to use examples from the text to support your theory.
5. Compare/contrast the two rooms in the PAT. Why do you think they are so drastically different?
6. Rumor had it that Gramma was a witch and apparently became one because she could not carry a baby to term. Do you think Gramma was justified to dabble in witchcraft to attain her dream?
7. What is an example of a metaphor used in "Beachworld" and what comparison is it trying to convey?
8. What is an example of personification in the story "Beachworld"? How does it affect the story? Explain why you chose this example.
9. Why do you think King bases his entire introduction on a seemingly mundane conversation with a friend?
10. In "The Jaunt," Mark's family is destroyed by Mark's own deception. Given the reasons for his deception, do you think he was justified in his actions.
This section contains 914 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)