|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator believe in "Paranoid: A Chant"?
(a) Aliens are coming.
(b) He is being haunted.
(c) He is the reincarnation of Hitler.
(d) There is a conspiracy against him.
2. How does Hal's youngest son feel about his older brother's discovery?
3. What had Mark's son done when the attendants put the mask on him?
(a) Held his breath.
(b) Screamed for his mother.
(c) Took it off without them knowing.
(d) Poked a hole in it.
4. Where does the narrator of "Paranoid: A Chant" believe he cannot go?
(a) To the living room.
(b) To the basement.
(d) To the bathroom.
5. What are the names of Mark's children?
(a) Don and Brandon.
(b) Lisa and Patty.
(c) Ricky and James.
(d) Ricky and Patty.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator of "Paranoid: A Chant" do to avoid cameras?
2. What is Charles doing when his teacher comes looking for him?
3. In what month does "The Raft" take place?
4. What reasoning does the narrator use for thinking about Maureen from time to time?
5. Who is Maureen?
Short Essay Questions
1. Homer compares Mrs. Todd to several goddesses. What is the purpose of this comparison?
2. Hyperbole is a figure of speech in which exaggeration is used for emphasis or effect; an extravagant statement. For example, "The sun was blindingly bright and hotter than ten thousand fires." Give an example of hyperbole from "The Wedding Gig" and give an explanation of why King uses it in this story.
3. What do you think Mike Scollay was implying when he told the coronet player that he was going to have to play loud?
4. In "The Jaunt," Mark's family is destroyed by Mark's own deception. Given the reasons for his deception, do you think he was justified in his actions.
5. What is the significance of the "Execute" button on the word processor, and how does Richard feel when looking at that button for the first time?
6. Why do you think Charles calls the bathroom the basement in "Here There Be Tygers"?
7. In what format is "Paranoid: A Chant" written, and what significance does it lend to the story?
8. In "The Raft," Deke twice stops Randy from attempting to save Rachel. Was this the right thing to do, given the circumstances?
9. In "The Mist," what do you think is the underlying message the story conveys to the reader? Cite examples from the story.
10. Why do you think King bases his entire introduction on a seemingly mundane conversation with a friend?
This section contains 890 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)