|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the other ladies of the Residency resent regarding Lucy?
(a) that she was prettier than they were.
(b) that she wore such scant clothing.
(c) that she was allowed to sleep in the Billiard room.
(d) that she was better educated.
2. What were the two fat Sikhs chewing in this chapter?
(a) Kabul grapes.
3. What was shattering the Collector's nerves in Chapter 10?
(a) the extreme heat.
(b) the high, shrill voice of the Padre.
(c) the complaining of the women.
(d) the sound of the jackals howling.
4. What had been planned militarily for Tuesday, July 7th?
(a) dispersing the watching native crowd with canon shot.
(b) a surprise attack with canon against the sepoys.
(c) reinforcing the ramparts of the Residency.
(d) springing Cutter's mine beneath the sepoy positions.
5. What does Louise sew for Fleury for his birthday present?
(a) a red vest.
(b) a white shirt
(c) a green coat.
(d) blue trousers..
6. What about her looks upsets Louise?
(a) the spots and boils on her face.
(b) her thin, bony body from malnutrition.
(c) her oily, dirty hair.
(d) her fingernails.
7. Who had the Ten Commandments translated into the vernacular and chiseled in stones by the roadside?
(a) the Padre.
(b) the Collector.
(d) the Judge at Fatehpur.
8. What are Barlow and Mohammed ordered to do?
(a) load the cannon.
(b) take up sponge and ramrod.
(c) take up positions on the veranda with rifles.
(d) protect the women.
9. Who sent a letter to Lucy begging her to come to the Residency for safety?
(a) the Collector.
10. Who disagrees with the Padre's view of God?
(d) the Collector.
11. Fleury is afraid of the statue of what Indian God?
(c) Lord Bhairava.
(d) the Elephant God.
12. What was the physical manifestation of the Collector's grieving mind?
(a) the piles of British possessions in the billiard room.
(b) the graves he digs.
(c) the burned out bungalows.
(d) his shattered and dissheveled bedroom.
13. What did the Collector wear which symbolized his attempt to exhibit culture and inspiration to the besieged residents?
(a) a hibiscus in his lapel.
(b) lavendar cologne.
(c) a white cravat.
(d) a rose in his lapel.
14. What do Louise and Miriam banter about?
(a) how they miss England.
(b) their looks.
(c) their skill at poetry.
(d) each other's "conquests".
15. What is a daguerreotype?
(a) the colony's newspaper.
(b) an early form of photograph.
(c) an early form of printing.
(d) a daily printed journal.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Fleury thinking about as the Padre and the Collector dig graves and argue?
2. What one person besides the poorest natives in Krishnapur ate the melons?
3. What were the names of the Collector's daughters who watched him through the telescope?
4. What is another name for Mr. Hopkins?
5. Which room was the Collector's favorite room and why?
This section contains 522 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)