|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who had formed the habit of sleeping clasped in each other's arms?
(a) Louise and MIriam.
(b) the O'Hanlon sisters.
(c) Dr. and Mrs. Dunstaple.
(d) the Collector's two eldest daughters.
2. What does Fleury attempt to retrieve for the dead man's wife?
(a) a lock of his hair.
(b) his pocket watch.
(c) his locket.
(d) his pocket bible.
3. What is chapatis?
(a) a bread made of course flour the thickness of a biscuit.
(b) nut meats given as gifts.
(c) salad made with local vegetables.
(d) a local fruit.
4. What did the Collector wear which symbolized his attempt to exhibit culture and inspiration to the besieged residents?
(a) a rose in his lapel.
(b) a white cravat.
(c) a hibiscus in his lapel.
(d) lavendar cologne.
5. What does Fleury lecture prince Hari about?
(a) the superiority of the British.
(c) the value in hard work.
(d) the uselessness of material things.
6. Who is accidentally lifted off the ground by the Eradicator?
(a) the Collector.
(c) Mr. Simmons.
(d) Mr. Rose.
7. What were the names of the Collector's daughters who watched him through the telescope?
(a) Grace and Elizabeth.
(b) Eliza and Margaret.
(c) Mary and Lisa.
(d) Elizabeth and Martha.
8. What is a new arrival in the colony called?
(a) an untested one.
(b) a greenhorn.
(c) a griffin.
(d) an ignoramus.
9. What was the name of the Padre's mother?
(a) Mrs. Harvey.
(b) Mrs. Hadley.
(c) Mrs. Barlow.
(d) Mrs. Hampton.
10. What smell does the Collector awake to?
(a) the smell of burning bungalows.
(b) the smell of rotting melons.
(c) the smell of jasmine growing outside his window.
(d) the smell of someone cooking wild pig.
11. What was the name of the Collector's beloved, deceased dog?
12. What kind of rifles were propped up against the balustrade?
(a) Sheffield rifles.
(b) rifles with bayonets.
(c) Enfield rifles.
(d) 22 calibre rifles.
13. What do the Collector and Miriam take a tour of?
(a) a local mosque.
(b) the Maharajah's gardens.
(c) the opium factory.
(d) the local bazaar.
14. The Collector mused about the qualities of what insects at the beginning of Chapter 8?
15. Who do Harry and Fleury go back to try and save?
(a) Michael Schleissner .
(b) Mr. Rose.
(c) Mr. Simmons.
(d) Lieutenant Peterson.
Short Answer Questions
1. What object was crucial to the morale of the garrison?
2. The Collector oversleeps in the beginning of Chapter 10 but who made the round of the defenses in his place?
3. What are Barlow and Mohammed ordered to do?
4. In what part of India is Krishnapur located?
5. Which of the corpses should be buried in a different area than the others?
This section contains 444 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)