Part 1 Chapter 1 | Part 1 Chapter 2
• The novel begins with a description of the plain surrounding Krishnapur ; various characters are introduced including Mr. Hopkins, the Collector, the Magistrate, Fleury and his sister, Miriam, Dr. Dunstaple and Louise Dunstaple.
• The Collector feels that trouble is brewing because of the appearance of boxes of chapatis and decides to build a trench around the Residency.
Part 1 Chapter 3 | Part 1 Chapter 4
• Harry rides out to accompany Fleury and Miriam and the dog Chloe to Krishnapur.
• Fleury and his sister are invited to the Residency for dinner where Fleury and the Padre argue.
• The next day Fleuy is frightened by the jackals and a statue of an Indian God.
• The Collector and Dr. McNab survey the mud ramparts that the Collector has erected.
• A week goes by and news arrives of a massacre in Delhi
Part 1 Chapter 5
• The Collector and Miriam take a tour of the...
This section contains 2,025 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)