|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Danny find out that Wendy and Mr. Hallorann are hurt?
2. What does Jack do when he gets out of the pantry?
3. How does Wendy get away from Jack?
4. What does Lloyd tell Jack that the manager is interested in?
5. How does the message from Danny come to Jack Hallorann?
Short Essay Questions
1. What plans do Wendy have for the future?
2. Jack feels Wendy is nagging him when she continues to ask about finding the snowmobile to get away from the Overlook? As Jack dwells on what she has said, what solution does he come up with?
3. Why is Hallorann so frustrated when he gets off the plane in Denver?
4. What happens when the monster invading Jack's body goes into the boiler roo
5. What happens to Danny when he goes out to play in the snow near the topiary?
6. What does Jack see and hear when he goes to the Colorado Lounge?
7. What events take place after Wendy finds Jack drunk on the floor?
8. Jack goes to the equipment shed and finds the snowmobile. What does he decide to do after he finds all the parts he needs to get the Skidoo running?
9. What does Jack suddenly realize while he is in the basement looking over old rock and roll albums?
10. What is Danny dreaming when he awakens from a nightmare in the bedroom?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) What is the message King is trying to convey about alcohol and abuse in the novel?
2) Does he depict a realistic and relevant view of human nature through the members of the Torrance family?
3) Are the human qualities of each character true to life? Explain.
4) How do the characters convey the everyday struggles of life?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, Jack is afraid of being like his father.
1) Describe the accomplishments Jack achieves in his lifetime that makes him different from his father.
2) Explain why Jack's actions in the final sections of the story turn his fears about being like his father into reality.
Essay Topic 3
Before moving to the Overlook with Danny and Jack, Wendy has a flashback about her life with Jack from the time he saves her from her mother, to the downward spiral of when he breaks Danny's arm.
1) What does this flashback reveal about her future relationship with Jack?
2) What does the flashback reveal about Jack's future actions?
3) How does Wendy's flashback prepare the reader for what is to come in the story?
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)