|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Lloyd when Jack asks what the manager wants with his son?
2. Who is it that Danny realizes is chasing him?
3. How do Danny and Wendy react after Jack tells them he found nothing in Room 217?
4. Who does Jack begin to blame for all the trouble at the hotel?
5. What does Jack think the hotel will do after he releases the pressure in the boiler?
Short Essay Questions
1. What plans do Wendy have for the future?
2. Danny realizes he needs help after Tony explains that he can't come anymore because the spirits in the Overlook won't let him. What does Danny do once he discovers that REDRUM spells MURDER?
3. What happens when the monster invading Jack's body goes into the boiler roo
4. What is Dick Hallorann's reaction when he hears Danny's pleas for help in his head?
5. What events take place after Wendy finds Jack drunk on the floor?
6. What reply does Dick Hallorann get from the ranger station when he calls them, asking that they go check on the Torrances?
7. What do Hallorann, Wendy, and Danny see as they are riding in the snowmobile on the way to Sidewinder?
8. Jack leaves Room 217 and goes back to the kitchen where Wendy and Danny are waiting. What does he tell them he found in Room 217?
9. Why is Hallorann so frustrated when he gets off the plane in Denver?
10. As Hallorann drives his car up the road to the Overlook, what message does he receive?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Interpret the feelings Wendy and Jack have for each other in the first part of the novel when Wendy describes how she met Jack.
2) Are their emotions authentic? Explain.
3) Are they truthful with each other? Give examples.
4) Compare these emotions with how they interact later in the novel, after they move to the Overlook.
5) What regrets do they have at the end of the novel with regard to their relationship?
6) How does their relationship differ from the first part of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
1) Analyze the relationship between Danny and Dick Hallorann.
2) What does Hallorann tell Danny to do if he gets into any trouble?
3) How does this affect the outcome of the novel?
4) How does their "shining" affect their relationship?
Essay Topic 3
1) Analyze the image of the wasp's nest which Jack finds on the roof of the Overlook and how it comes to life in Danny's bedroom to the mention of a wasp's nest by Hallorann at the end of the story.
2) What does the wasp's nest symbolize?
3) What images does Hallorann use to describe the angry wasps in the Overlook's smoking window?
4) How do these images compare to the images of the wasps in Danny's room?
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)