|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Jack think was the reason his father killed his mother?
2. How does Danny find out that Wendy and Mr. Hallorann are hurt?
3. What happens to Lloyd when Jack asks what the manager wants with his son?
4. How does Hallorann escape from the hedge lion's attack?
5. What does Danny tell Wendy when she asks him if he talked to Tony?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when the monster invading Jack's body goes into the boiler roo
2. Why is Hallorann so frustrated when he gets off the plane in Denver?
3. What does Hallorann encounter while he is going to the Overlook on the snowmobile?
4. What does the conversation between Grady and Jack consist of while they are in the Colorado Lounge?
5. What advice does Hallorann give to Danny while they are living in Maine?
6. What do Hallorann, Wendy, and Danny see as they are riding in the snowmobile on the way to Sidewinder?
7. Danny realizes he needs help after Tony explains that he can't come anymore because the spirits in the Overlook won't let him. What does Danny do once he discovers that REDRUM spells MURDER?
8. Jack feels Wendy is nagging him when she continues to ask about finding the snowmobile to get away from the Overlook? As Jack dwells on what she has said, what solution does he come up with?
9. How does Hallorann escape from the hedge lion's attack?
10. What deal does Jack make with Grady if he lets him out of the pantry?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Analyze the changes in Danny throughout the novel.
2) What fears and emotions does he experience as he the story progresses?
3) How do his attitudes change as his character develops?
4) Cite examples of the character changes Danny goes through as he lives through each terrifying scene.
Essay Topic 2
Before moving to the Overlook with Danny and Jack, Wendy has a flashback about her life with Jack from the time he saves her from her mother, to the downward spiral of when he breaks Danny's arm.
1) What does this flashback reveal about her future relationship with Jack?
2) What does the flashback reveal about Jack's future actions?
3) How does Wendy's flashback prepare the reader for what is to come in the story?
Essay Topic 3
1) How does Stephen King use images of darkness, grotesque bodies, and the Danny's visions to convey the tone of the novel?
2) How does the weather add to this tone?
3) Justify the answers with examples from the novel.
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)