|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What excuse does Hallorann tell his boss to get three days off to go help Danny?
2. What does Jack yank out of the snowmobile and throw in the snow?
3. What does Wendy remember that gets her excited?
4. What does Hallorann see across the lobby at the bottom of the stairs?
5. What does Danny tell Wendy when she asks him if he talked to Tony?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hallorann encounter while he is going to the Overlook on the snowmobile?
2. What does the conversation between Grady and Jack consist of while they are in the Colorado Lounge?
3. What does Jack hope Wendy asks him after he slaps Danny and they get him settled down to sleep?
4. What reply does Dick Hallorann get from the ranger station when he calls them, asking that they go check on the Torrances?
5. What does Jack continue to scream while he is locked in the pantry?
6. What happens to Danny when he goes out to play in the snow near the topiary?
7. What events take place after Wendy finds Jack drunk on the floor?
8. What do Jack, Wendy, and Danny hear when Danny awakens them in the night?
9. As Hallorann drives his car up the road to the Overlook, what message does he receive?
10. What does Jack do as he tries to kill Danny, and Danny tells him he is not his Daddy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Compare Jack Torrance's thoughts and ideas as he gives up drinking in the first section of the novel, to his thoughts when he goes to the Colorado Lounge to talk to Lloyd and Mr. Grady.
2) How does he feel about his family in each of the two parts of the novel?
3) How do her views toward punishment and abuse change from before he lives at the Overlook to after?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, Jack is afraid of being like his father.
1) Describe the accomplishments Jack achieves in his lifetime that makes him different from his father.
2) Explain why Jack's actions in the final sections of the story turn his fears about being like his father into reality.
Essay Topic 3
1) Summarize how Stephen King uses local color and imagery to describe the Overlook hotel.
2) Cite descriptive examples of rooms, décor, landscaping, the view, and the weather.
3) Does the imagery King uses depict a clear and accurate picture of the Overlook and surrounding landscape?
This section contains 845 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)