|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jack wonder about Danny's blank face and catatonic state after he goes into Room 217?
2. What is Hallorann thinking when he goes to the equipment shed to get blankets?
3. What does Hallorann see across the lobby at the bottom of the stairs?
4. What excuse does Hallorann tell his boss to get three days off to go help Danny?
5. What advice does Hallorann give Danny before he and Wendy move away?
Short Essay Questions
1. Jack leaves Room 217 and goes back to the kitchen where Wendy and Danny are waiting. What does he tell them he found in Room 217?
2. Does Wendy escape from Jack after she stabs him?
3. What does Hallorann encounter while he is going to the Overlook on the snowmobile?
4. Danny realizes he needs help after Tony explains that he can't come anymore because the spirits in the Overlook won't let him. What does Danny do once he discovers that REDRUM spells MURDER?
5. What is Danny dreaming when he awakens from a nightmare in the bedroom?
6. What does Tony tell Danny while they are in the world away from the Overlook?
7. What does Jack do as he tries to kill Danny, and Danny tells him he is not his Daddy?
8. What does Danny think about as he and Wendy wait in the bedroom with a kitchen knife in Wendy's hand?
9. What deal does Jack make with Grady if he lets him out of the pantry?
10. What do Hallorann, Wendy, and Danny see as they are riding in the snowmobile on the way to Sidewinder?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) What is the message King is trying to convey about alcohol and abuse in the novel?
2) Does he depict a realistic and relevant view of human nature through the members of the Torrance family?
3) Are the human qualities of each character true to life? Explain.
4) How do the characters convey the everyday struggles of life?
Essay Topic 2
1) Analyze the image of the wasp's nest which Jack finds on the roof of the Overlook and how it comes to life in Danny's bedroom to the mention of a wasp's nest by Hallorann at the end of the story.
2) What does the wasp's nest symbolize?
3) What images does Hallorann use to describe the angry wasps in the Overlook's smoking window?
4) How do these images compare to the images of the wasps in Danny's room?
Essay Topic 3
1) Give three examples from the novel when Jack Torrance uses poor impulse control.
2) Summarize the reactions to these events by his coworkers, his friend Mr. Shockley, and his family.
3) Analyze the consequences of Jack's actions.
This section contains 822 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)