|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hallorann tell Danny to do if he ever needs him?
2. What does Jack decide to do if Wendy asks him why Danny said that he knew about the hedge animals?
3. How does Jack feel when Wendy asks him how he is going to get them off the mountain?
4. What does Hallorann see across the lobby at the bottom of the stairs?
5. How do Danny and Wendy try to drown out Jack's screams?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Jack, Wendy, and Danny hear when Danny awakens them in the night?
2. What does Jack do as he tries to kill Danny, and Danny tells him he is not his Daddy?
3. Does Wendy escape from Jack after she stabs him?
4. What does Jack hope Wendy asks him after he slaps Danny and they get him settled down to sleep?
5. What deal does Jack make with Grady if he lets him out of the pantry?
6. Jack goes to the equipment shed and finds the snowmobile. What does he decide to do after he finds all the parts he needs to get the Skidoo running?
7. As Hallorann drives his car up the road to the Overlook, what message does he receive?
8. What is Danny dreaming when he awakens from a nightmare in the bedroom?
9. What plans do Wendy have for the future?
10. How does Hallorann escape from the hedge lion's attack?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Analyze Jack's final acts in the story.
2) Was his character completely evil in the end?
3) Justify the answer with examples from the story.
4) What alternatives did he have at the climax of the story?
Essay Topic 2
1) Analyze the changes in Danny throughout the novel.
2) What fears and emotions does he experience as he the story progresses?
3) How do his attitudes change as his character develops?
4) Cite examples of the character changes Danny goes through as he lives through each terrifying scene.
Essay Topic 3
1) Analyze Danny's struggles with having to deal with such extreme violence at an early age.
2) Would you say that his powers help him deal with his terror or only add to it? Explain.
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)