|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the message from Danny come to Jack Hallorann?
2. Where does Dick Hallorann work after the tragedy at the Overlook?
3. What does Danny realize about his father when Jack chases him?
4. Who does Jack begin to blame for all the trouble at the hotel?
5. How is Hallorann forced off the road on the way to the Overlook?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jack see and hear when he goes to the Colorado Lounge?
2. What does Jack do when he finds Wendy in the ballroom?
3. What goes through Hallorann's mind when he goes into the equipment shed to get blankets for Wendy and Danny?
4. How does Hallorann escape from the hedge lion's attack?
5. What does the conversation between Grady and Jack consist of while they are in the Colorado Lounge?
6. What reply does Dick Hallorann get from the ranger station when he calls them, asking that they go check on the Torrances?
7. Danny realizes he needs help after Tony explains that he can't come anymore because the spirits in the Overlook won't let him. What does Danny do once he discovers that REDRUM spells MURDER?
8. What is Danny dreaming when he awakens from a nightmare in the bedroom?
9. What does Jack suddenly realize while he is in the basement looking over old rock and roll albums?
10. What deal does Jack make with Grady if he lets him out of the pantry?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Analyze the resolution of the story as it relates to each of the characters in the novel.
2) Explain the metamorphosis each of them experiences in the final chapter.
3) Describe how the image of Danny's fishing gives hope to both the reader and the surviving characters.
Essay Topic 2
1) Analyze Jack's final acts in the story.
2) Was his character completely evil in the end?
3) Justify the answer with examples from the story.
4) What alternatives did he have at the climax of the story?
Essay Topic 3
1) What is the message King is trying to convey about alcohol and abuse in the novel?
2) Does he depict a realistic and relevant view of human nature through the members of the Torrance family?
3) Are the human qualities of each character true to life? Explain.
4) How do the characters convey the everyday struggles of life?
This section contains 812 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)