|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jack's father kill his mother?
2. What is the surprise item for Danny when he returns from the store?
3. Why is Stuart Ullman hiring Jack to be caretaker of the Overlook?
4. What happens in the hallway that nearly freezes Danny with terror?
5. What does Wendy sense from the moment Danny is born?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Wendy decide to make Danny an appointment for a physical in Sidewinder?
2. Danny realizes he needs help after Tony explains that he can't come anymore because the spirits in the Overlook won't let him. What does Danny do once he discovers that REDRUM spells MURDER?
3. What does Stephen King compare the Torrance family to as they go into the hotel during the snowstorm?
4. What does Tony tell Danny while they are in the world away from the Overlook?
5. Describe what Halloran says is the "shinin' on," after Danny confides in him about the nightmares he has concerning the Overlook.
6. Jack goes to the equipment shed and finds the snowmobile. What does he decide to do after he finds all the parts he needs to get the Skidoo running?
7. What happens when the monster invading Jack's body goes into the boiler roo
8. What happens to terrify Danny as he contemplates opening the door to Room 217?
9. What is Danny dreaming when he awakens from a nightmare in the bedroom?
10. Why does Danny grab the guardrail and become faint when the family is looking at the Overlook Hotel for the first time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Analyze the changes in Danny throughout the novel.
2) What fears and emotions does he experience as he the story progresses?
3) How do his attitudes change as his character develops?
4) Cite examples of the character changes Danny goes through as he lives through each terrifying scene.
Essay Topic 2
1) How does Stephen King use images of darkness, grotesque bodies, and the Danny's visions to convey the tone of the novel?
2) How does the weather add to this tone?
3) Justify the answers with examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
1) Discuss how Jack Torrance's character changes from the beginning of the novel to the end.
2) How does his attitude change toward his family?
3) How does his attitude toward his fathering techniques change?
4) What are the differences in his attitude toward the way his father treated his mother differ from the beginning to the end of the novel?
This section contains 1,776 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)