|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ullman describe the Florida place?
2. Who does Jack call while Danny waits in the VW?
3. What old behaviors are Jack doing that has Wendy worried?
4. What does Tony do as he stands at the bus stop down the block?
5. Why does Dr. Edmonds theorize Danny does not need Tony anymore?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Danny grab the guardrail and become faint when the family is looking at the Overlook Hotel for the first time?
2. What event causes Al Shockley and Jack to swear off drinking?
3. Why does Jack call Mr. Ullman?
4. What vision does Danny experience when Dr. Bill asks him to try and contact Tony?
5. What incident occurs at the school Jack formerly taught that gives the reader an idea of Jack's temper?
6. Describe the Overlook's cook, Halloran.
7. What does Danny see on the wallpaper as Ullman gives the Torrance's a tour of the Overlook?
8. What does Danny imagine is outside his window after Tony warns him not to go to the hotel?
9. What scares Jack as he turns to look at the topiary from the playground?
10. What view do the Torrance's see as they look out the window in the Overlook Hotel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, Jack is afraid of being like his father.
1) Describe the accomplishments Jack achieves in his lifetime that makes him different from his father.
2) Explain why Jack's actions in the final sections of the story turn his fears about being like his father into reality.
Essay Topic 2
1) Analyze the image of the wasp's nest which Jack finds on the roof of the Overlook and how it comes to life in Danny's bedroom to the mention of a wasp's nest by Hallorann at the end of the story.
2) What does the wasp's nest symbolize?
3) What images does Hallorann use to describe the angry wasps in the Overlook's smoking window?
4) How do these images compare to the images of the wasps in Danny's room?
Essay Topic 3
1) Analyze Jack's final acts in the story.
2) Was his character completely evil in the end?
3) Justify the answer with examples from the story.
4) What alternatives did he have at the climax of the story?
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)