|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jack say he intentionally did to Danny?
2. What does Jack think about when he takes a break from trimming the topiary animals and goes to the playground?
3. What does Wendy do when she gets to Danny?
4. Why is Jack mocking George?
5. What old behaviors are Jack doing that has Wendy worried?
Short Essay Questions
1. What view do the Torrance's see as they look out the window in the Overlook Hotel?
2. What incident occurs that causes Jack to dislike the Overlook Hotel?
3. What does Wendy assume happened to Danny when she sees the red welts around his neck and how does she react?
4. Describe the woman Danny sees when he enters the bathroom of Room 217.
5. Describe the Overlook's cook, Halloran.
6. Why does Mr. Ullman hire Jack to be the winter caretaker at the Overlook hotel?
7. What event causes Al Shockley and Jack to swear off drinking?
8. What does Stephen King compare the Torrance family to as they go into the hotel during the snowstorm?
9. Why does Jack compare his life to "The Great Wasp Nest of Life"?
10. What scares Jack as he turns to look at the topiary from the playground?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Interpret the feelings Wendy and Jack have for each other in the first part of the novel when Wendy describes how she met Jack.
2) Are their emotions authentic? Explain.
3) Are they truthful with each other? Give examples.
4) Compare these emotions with how they interact later in the novel, after they move to the Overlook.
5) What regrets do they have at the end of the novel with regard to their relationship?
6) How does their relationship differ from the first part of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
1) Analyze the changes in Danny throughout the novel.
2) What fears and emotions does he experience as he the story progresses?
3) How do his attitudes change as his character develops?
4) Cite examples of the character changes Danny goes through as he lives through each terrifying scene.
Essay Topic 3
Before moving to the Overlook with Danny and Jack, Wendy has a flashback about her life with Jack from the time he saves her from her mother, to the downward spiral of when he breaks Danny's arm.
1) What does this flashback reveal about her future relationship with Jack?
2) What does the flashback reveal about Jack's future actions?
3) How does Wendy's flashback prepare the reader for what is to come in the story?
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)