|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Danny tell his mother when she asks him to ask Tony if they should leave the hotel?
2. What is the surprise item for Danny when he returns from the store?
3. What indicates to Wendy that all is not right with Danny?
4. What is the "bad thing" the maid is showing Hallorann?
5. How many guest rooms in the Overlook?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to terrify Danny as he contemplates opening the door to Room 217?
2. What incident occurs at the school Jack formerly taught that gives the reader an idea of Jack's temper?
3. What vision does Danny experience when Dr. Bill asks him to try and contact Tony?
4. What does Wendy assume happened to Danny when she sees the red welts around his neck and how does she react?
5. What does Danny imagine is outside his window after Tony warns him not to go to the hotel?
6. What is Jack's gut reaction once Mr. Ullman leaves the Overlook and the Torrance family is left alone?
7. What incident occurs that causes Jack to dislike the Overlook Hotel?
8. Why does Mr. Ullman hire Jack to be the winter caretaker at the Overlook hotel?
9. What memory does Jack have that causes him feel worthless and shameful, making him want to drink?
10. What does Danny tell Jack and Wendy once he has gained control of himself?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Overlook is the main source of terror throughout the novel. It is mentioned in all parts of the story.
1) Explain the different images King gives of the Overlook as the book progresses.
2) What is the significance of the Overlook in each part of the novel?
3) What three different meanings does the Overlook have for each of the characters: Wendy, Danny, and Jack?
Essay Topic 2
1) Analyze Danny's struggles with having to deal with such extreme violence at an early age.
2) Would you say that his powers help him deal with his terror or only add to it? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
1) Summarize how Stephen King uses local color and imagery to describe the Overlook hotel.
2) Cite descriptive examples of rooms, décor, landscaping, the view, and the weather.
3) Does the imagery King uses depict a clear and accurate picture of the Overlook and surrounding landscape?
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)