|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the time period when the Overlook is built?
2. What is the important responsibility of the caretaker that Ullman reminds Jack of?
3. What does Danny say happened to him in Room 217?
4. What does Jack say he intentionally did to Danny?
5. When Danny shines what is the name of the imaginary person?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Danny grab the guardrail and become faint when the family is looking at the Overlook Hotel for the first time?
2. What incident occurs that causes Jack to dislike the Overlook Hotel?
3. What are the changes Wendy notices in Jack that cause her to worry so much about him?
4. Describe what Halloran says is the "shinin' on," after Danny confides in him about the nightmares he has concerning the Overlook.
5. What does Danny tell Jack and Wendy once he has gained control of himself?
6. When Danny comes out of his comatose state, he screams for his Daddy. What does he say and what assumption does Jack make?
7. What incident occurs at the school Jack formerly taught that gives the reader an idea of Jack's temper?
8. Describe the woman Danny sees when he enters the bathroom of Room 217.
9. What does Stephen King compare the Torrance family to as they go into the hotel during the snowstorm?
10. What happens to terrify Danny as he contemplates opening the door to Room 217?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Overlook is the main source of terror throughout the novel. It is mentioned in all parts of the story.
1) Explain the different images King gives of the Overlook as the book progresses.
2) What is the significance of the Overlook in each part of the novel?
3) What three different meanings does the Overlook have for each of the characters: Wendy, Danny, and Jack?
Essay Topic 2
1) Compare Jack Torrance's thoughts and ideas as he gives up drinking in the first section of the novel, to his thoughts when he goes to the Colorado Lounge to talk to Lloyd and Mr. Grady.
2) How does he feel about his family in each of the two parts of the novel?
3) How do her views toward punishment and abuse change from before he lives at the Overlook to after?
Essay Topic 3
1) Summarize how Stephen King uses local color and imagery to describe the Overlook hotel.
2) Cite descriptive examples of rooms, décor, landscaping, the view, and the weather.
3) Does the imagery King uses depict a clear and accurate picture of the Overlook and surrounding landscape?
This section contains 827 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)