Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What phrase by Ullman echoed in Jack's mind?
2. What occurs at the scenic turnout?
3. As Danny lies awake, what does he imagine about flesh eating plants?
4. What is the important responsibility of the caretaker that Ullman reminds Jack of?
5. What is the "bad thing" the maid is showing Hallorann?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Wendy change her mind about divorcing Jack?
2. Does Wendy escape from Jack after she stabs him?
3. What incident occurs at the school Jack formerly taught that gives the reader an idea of Jack's temper?
4. What does Jack see and hear when he goes to the Colorado Lounge?
5. What happens to Danny when he concentrates, thinking very hard?
6. When Danny comes out of his comatose state, he screams for his Daddy. What does he say and what assumption does Jack make?
7. What is the message Jack receives from his dead father on the two-way radio?
8. What happens to terrify Danny as he contemplates opening the door to Room 217?
9. What do Hallorann, Wendy, and Danny see as they are riding in the snowmobile on the way to Sidewinder?
10. What vision does Danny experience when Dr. Bill asks him to try and contact Tony?
Essay Topic 1
1) Interpret the feelings Wendy and Jack have for each other in the first part of the novel when Wendy describes how she met Jack.
2) Are their emotions authentic? Explain.
3) Are they truthful with each other? Give examples.
4) Compare these emotions with how they interact later in the novel, after they move to the Overlook.
5) What regrets do they have at the end of the novel with regard to their relationship?
6) How does their relationship differ from the first part of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
1) Compare and contrast the characters of Jack Torrance and his father.
2) Summarize the impact each character has on one another.
3) How is each character realistic in their struggles with alcohol?
4) How are their roles as husbands and fathers alike or different?
Essay Topic 3
The Overlook is the main source of terror throughout the novel. It is mentioned in all parts of the story.
1) Explain the different images King gives of the Overlook as the book progresses.
2) What is the significance of the Overlook in each part of the novel?
3) What three different meanings does the Overlook have for each of the characters: Wendy, Danny, and Jack?
This section contains 1,772 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)