|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is student George Hatfield doing when Jack attacks him?
2. What does Jack dream his father tells him through the radio?
3. As Danny lies awake, what does he imagine about flesh eating plants?
4. Why is Danny sitting on the curb sulking?
5. What does Dr. Edmonds say Danny possesses?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Danny imagine is outside his window after Tony warns him not to go to the hotel?
2. What does Jack discover when he goes to investigate Room 217?
3. What does Danny tell Jack and Wendy once he has gained control of himself?
4. What scares Jack as he turns to look at the topiary from the playground?
5. What happens to Danny when he concentrates, thinking very hard?
6. Describe the woman Danny sees when he enters the bathroom of Room 217.
7. What incident occurs that causes Jack to dislike the Overlook Hotel?
8. Why does Wendy decide to make Danny an appointment for a physical in Sidewinder?
9. Describe what Halloran says is the "shinin' on," after Danny confides in him about the nightmares he has concerning the Overlook.
10. What does Danny's mother tell him about Tony?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) How does Stephen King use images of darkness, grotesque bodies, and the Danny's visions to convey the tone of the novel?
2) How does the weather add to this tone?
3) Justify the answers with examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
1) Evaluate the relationship between Danny and his mother, Wendy.
2) How does Jack affect their relationship with one another?
3) What is it that causes Wendy to worry so much about Danny?
4) Give examples from the story of how they interact with one another.
Essay Topic 3
1) Give three examples from the novel when Jack Torrance uses poor impulse control.
2) Summarize the reactions to these events by his coworkers, his friend Mr. Shockley, and his family.
3) Analyze the consequences of Jack's actions.
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)