Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What phrase by Ullman echoed in Jack's mind?
2. What occurs at the scenic turnout?
3. As Danny lies awake, what does he imagine about flesh eating plants?
4. What is the important responsibility of the caretaker that Ullman reminds Jack of?
5. What is the "bad thing" the maid is showing Hallorann?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Wendy change her mind about divorcing Jack?
2. Does Wendy escape from Jack after she stabs him?
3. What incident occurs at the school Jack formerly taught that gives the reader an idea of Jack's temper?
4. What does Jack see and hear when he goes to the Colorado Lounge?
5. What happens to Danny when he concentrates, thinking very hard?
6. When Danny comes out of his comatose state, he screams for his Daddy. What does he say and what assumption does Jack make?
7. What is the message Jack receives from his dead father on the two-way radio?
8. What happens to terrify Danny as he contemplates opening the door to Room 217?
9. What do Hallorann, Wendy, and Danny see as they are riding in the snowmobile on the way to Sidewinder?
10. What vision does Danny experience when Dr. Bill asks him to try and contact Tony?
Essay Topic 1
1) Evaluate the relationship between Danny and his mother, Wendy.
2) How does Jack affect their relationship with one another?
3) What is it that causes Wendy to worry so much about Danny?
4) Give examples from the story of how they interact with one another.
Essay Topic 2
The Overlook is the main source of terror throughout the novel. It is mentioned in all parts of the story.
1) Explain the different images King gives of the Overlook as the book progresses.
2) What is the significance of the Overlook in each part of the novel?
3) What three different meanings does the Overlook have for each of the characters: Wendy, Danny, and Jack?
Essay Topic 3
1) Analyze Jack's final acts in the story.
2) Was his character completely evil in the end?
3) Justify the answer with examples from the story.
4) What alternatives did he have at the climax of the story?
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)