|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the surprise item for Danny when he returns from the store?
2. What does Jack see in the bathroom of Room 217 the second time he looks?
3. As Danny runs to the door, what does he remember Hallorann told him?
4. What is Wendy thinking about the 1926 Overlook elevator?
5. How many guest rooms in the Overlook?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to terrify Danny as he contemplates opening the door to Room 217?
2. What is Jack's gut reaction once Mr. Ullman leaves the Overlook and the Torrance family is left alone?
3. What does Danny imagine is outside his window after Tony warns him not to go to the hotel?
4. Why does Wendy decide to make Danny an appointment for a physical in Sidewinder?
5. What happens to Danny when he concentrates, thinking very hard?
6. What does Danny tell Jack and Wendy once he has gained control of himself?
7. What does Jack discover when he goes to investigate Room 217?
8. Why does Mr. Ullman hire Jack to be the winter caretaker at the Overlook hotel?
9. Why does Jack compare his life to "The Great Wasp Nest of Life"?
10. What is the message Jack receives from his dead father on the two-way radio?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Analyze the relationship between Danny and Dick Hallorann.
2) What does Hallorann tell Danny to do if he gets into any trouble?
3) How does this affect the outcome of the novel?
4) How does their "shining" affect their relationship?
Essay Topic 2
1) Analyze Danny's struggles with having to deal with such extreme violence at an early age.
2) Would you say that his powers help him deal with his terror or only add to it? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
1) Analyze the changes in Danny throughout the novel.
2) What fears and emotions does he experience as he the story progresses?
3) How do his attitudes change as his character develops?
4) Cite examples of the character changes Danny goes through as he lives through each terrifying scene.
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)