Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What phrase by Ullman echoed in Jack's mind?
2. What occurs at the scenic turnout?
3. As Danny lies awake, what does he imagine about flesh eating plants?
4. What is the important responsibility of the caretaker that Ullman reminds Jack of?
5. What is the "bad thing" the maid is showing Hallorann?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Wendy change her mind about divorcing Jack?
2. Does Wendy escape from Jack after she stabs him?
3. What incident occurs at the school Jack formerly taught that gives the reader an idea of Jack's temper?
4. What does Jack see and hear when he goes to the Colorado Lounge?
5. What happens to Danny when he concentrates, thinking very hard?
6. When Danny comes out of his comatose state, he screams for his Daddy. What does he say and what assumption does Jack make?
7. What is the message Jack receives from his dead father on the two-way radio?
8. What happens to terrify Danny as he contemplates opening the door to Room 217?
9. What do Hallorann, Wendy, and Danny see as they are riding in the snowmobile on the way to Sidewinder?
10. What vision does Danny experience when Dr. Bill asks him to try and contact Tony?
Essay Topic 1
1) What is the message King is trying to convey about alcohol and abuse in the novel?
2) Does he depict a realistic and relevant view of human nature through the members of the Torrance family?
3) Are the human qualities of each character true to life? Explain.
4) How do the characters convey the everyday struggles of life?
Essay Topic 2
Before moving to the Overlook with Danny and Jack, Wendy has a flashback about her life with Jack from the time he saves her from her mother, to the downward spiral of when he breaks Danny's arm.
1) What does this flashback reveal about her future relationship with Jack?
2) What does the flashback reveal about Jack's future actions?
3) How does Wendy's flashback prepare the reader for what is to come in the story?
Essay Topic 3
1) What kind of an emotional impact does "the shining" have on Danny and his parents?
2) How does Danny's attitude toward his power differ from the beginning of the story to the end?
3) How does sharing the power with Mr. Hallorann change Danny's view of it?
4) How does Danny use his powers to resolve the conflict in the story?
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)