|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the road from town to Overlook not plowed?
2. What thought is Hallorann shining to Danny?
3. Who is sitting at the lobby fireplace on the Overlook's closing day?
4. What does Hallorann always smell before he shines?
5. Why is Watson lingering in the lobby after staff has departed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jack discover when he goes to investigate Room 217?
2. Why does Jack call Mr. Ullman?
3. What scares Jack as he turns to look at the topiary from the playground?
4. What does Stephen King compare the Torrance family to as they go into the hotel during the snowstorm?
5. Why does Mr. Ullman hire Jack to be the winter caretaker at the Overlook hotel?
6. What memory does Jack have that causes him feel worthless and shameful, making him want to drink?
7. What view do the Torrance's see as they look out the window in the Overlook Hotel?
8. What are the contents of the scrapbook Jack discovers in the basement of the Overlook?
9. What does Danny imagine is outside his window after Tony warns him not to go to the hotel?
10. What does Danny's mother tell him about Tony?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) What kind of an emotional impact does "the shining" have on Danny and his parents?
2) How does Danny's attitude toward his power differ from the beginning of the story to the end?
3) How does sharing the power with Mr. Hallorann change Danny's view of it?
4) How does Danny use his powers to resolve the conflict in the story?
Essay Topic 2
1) Give three examples from the novel when Jack Torrance uses poor impulse control.
2) Summarize the reactions to these events by his coworkers, his friend Mr. Shockley, and his family.
3) Analyze the consequences of Jack's actions.
Essay Topic 3
The Overlook is the main source of terror throughout the novel. It is mentioned in all parts of the story.
1) Explain the different images King gives of the Overlook as the book progresses.
2) What is the significance of the Overlook in each part of the novel?
3) What three different meanings does the Overlook have for each of the characters: Wendy, Danny, and Jack?
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)