|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Danny doing before bedtime that bothers Wendy?
2. What does Danny tell his mother when she asks him to ask Tony if they should leave the hotel?
3. How does Al Shockley react to Jack's idea about writing a historical book about the Overlook?
4. What is the important responsibility of the caretaker that Ullman reminds Jack of?
5. What entire bottle of tablets did Jack chew to stop a hangover?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jack suddenly realize while he is in the basement looking over old rock and roll albums?
2. Why does Wendy decide to make Danny an appointment for a physical in Sidewinder?
3. What does Danny see on the wallpaper as Ullman gives the Torrance's a tour of the Overlook?
4. What happens to Danny when he concentrates, thinking very hard?
5. Why does Jack call Mr. Ullman?
6. Why is Hallorann so frustrated when he gets off the plane in Denver?
7. What is the message Jack receives from his dead father on the two-way radio?
8. What are the contents of the scrapbook Jack discovers in the basement of the Overlook?
9. What events take place after Wendy finds Jack drunk on the floor?
10. What goes through Hallorann's mind when he goes into the equipment shed to get blankets for Wendy and Danny?
Essay Topic 1
1) Evaluate the elements of cause and effect in this story using examples from the novel.
2) Choose three events from the story which cause Jack Torrance's life to undergo a change.
3) How does he react to the events and their effects?
4) How does he change emotionally in his own life and in his attitude toward Wendy and Danny?
Essay Topic 2
Before moving to the Overlook with Danny and Jack, Wendy has a flashback about her life with Jack from the time he saves her from her mother, to the downward spiral of when he breaks Danny's arm.
1) What does this flashback reveal about her future relationship with Jack?
2) What does the flashback reveal about Jack's future actions?
3) How does Wendy's flashback prepare the reader for what is to come in the story?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, Jack is afraid of being like his father.
1) Describe the accomplishments Jack achieves in his lifetime that makes him different from his father.
2) Explain why Jack's actions in the final sections of the story turn his fears about being like his father into reality.
This section contains 1,787 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)