|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the time period when the Overlook is built?
2. What happens when Jack covers his eyes and then reopens them?
3. What does Danny see in the bathroom?
4. What does Dr. Edmonds say Danny possesses?
5. What random thought comes to Jack when reading about the costume ball?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Danny grab the guardrail and become faint when the family is looking at the Overlook Hotel for the first time?
2. What incident occurs at the school Jack formerly taught that gives the reader an idea of Jack's temper?
3. What view do the Torrance's see as they look out the window in the Overlook Hotel?
4. What does Jack discover when he goes to investigate Room 217?
5. What are the contents of the scrapbook Jack discovers in the basement of the Overlook?
6. What event causes Al Shockley and Jack to swear off drinking?
7. Why does Jack compare his life to "The Great Wasp Nest of Life"?
8. What are the changes Wendy notices in Jack that cause her to worry so much about him?
9. What scares Jack as he turns to look at the topiary from the playground?
10. Describe the woman Danny sees when he enters the bathroom of Room 217.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Analyze the changes in Danny throughout the novel.
2) What fears and emotions does he experience as he the story progresses?
3) How do his attitudes change as his character develops?
4) Cite examples of the character changes Danny goes through as he lives through each terrifying scene.
Essay Topic 2
1) Interpret the feelings Wendy and Jack have for each other in the first part of the novel when Wendy describes how she met Jack.
2) Are their emotions authentic? Explain.
3) Are they truthful with each other? Give examples.
4) Compare these emotions with how they interact later in the novel, after they move to the Overlook.
5) What regrets do they have at the end of the novel with regard to their relationship?
6) How does their relationship differ from the first part of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
1) Summarize how Stephen King uses local color and imagery to describe the Overlook hotel.
2) Cite descriptive examples of rooms, décor, landscaping, the view, and the weather.
3) Does the imagery King uses depict a clear and accurate picture of the Overlook and surrounding landscape?
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)