|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Danny go after he opens the door to Room 217?
2. What happens as Danny tests his shining on Hallorann?
3. What random thought comes to Jack when reading about the costume ball?
4. What is roque?
5. What does Wendy think as she, Danny, and Jack watch the snow fall?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what Halloran says is the "shinin' on," after Danny confides in him about the nightmares he has concerning the Overlook.
2. What memory does Jack have that causes him feel worthless and shameful, making him want to drink?
3. Describe the woman Danny sees when he enters the bathroom of Room 217.
4. What happens to Danny when he concentrates, thinking very hard?
5. What does Jack discover when he goes to investigate Room 217?
6. Why does Wendy decide to make Danny an appointment for a physical in Sidewinder?
7. Why does Mr. Ullman hire Jack to be the winter caretaker at the Overlook hotel?
8. Why does Jack call Mr. Ullman?
9. What is Jack's gut reaction once Mr. Ullman leaves the Overlook and the Torrance family is left alone?
10. What incident occurs that causes Jack to dislike the Overlook Hotel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Before moving to the Overlook with Danny and Jack, Wendy has a flashback about her life with Jack from the time he saves her from her mother, to the downward spiral of when he breaks Danny's arm.
1) What does this flashback reveal about her future relationship with Jack?
2) What does the flashback reveal about Jack's future actions?
3) How does Wendy's flashback prepare the reader for what is to come in the story?
Essay Topic 2
1) Analyze Danny's struggles with having to deal with such extreme violence at an early age.
2) Would you say that his powers help him deal with his terror or only add to it? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
1) Analyze Jack's final acts in the story.
2) Was his character completely evil in the end?
3) Justify the answer with examples from the story.
4) What alternatives did he have at the climax of the story?
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)