|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What phrase by Ullman echoed in Jack's mind?
2. What occurs at the scenic turnout?
3. As Danny lies awake, what does he imagine about flesh eating plants?
4. What is the important responsibility of the caretaker that Ullman reminds Jack of?
5. What is the "bad thing" the maid is showing Hallorann?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Wendy change her mind about divorcing Jack?
2. Does Wendy escape from Jack after she stabs him?
3. What incident occurs at the school Jack formerly taught that gives the reader an idea of Jack's temper?
4. What does Jack see and hear when he goes to the Colorado Lounge?
5. What happens to Danny when he concentrates, thinking very hard?
6. When Danny comes out of his comatose state, he screams for his Daddy. What does he say and what assumption does Jack make?
7. What is the message Jack receives from his dead father on the two-way radio?
8. What happens to terrify Danny as he contemplates opening the door to Room 217?
9. What do Hallorann, Wendy, and Danny see as they are riding in the snowmobile on the way to Sidewinder?
10. What vision does Danny experience when Dr. Bill asks him to try and contact Tony?
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, Jack is afraid of being like his father.
1) Describe the accomplishments Jack achieves in his lifetime that makes him different from his father.
2) Explain why Jack's actions in the final sections of the story turn his fears about being like his father into reality.
Essay Topic 2
1) Interpret the feelings Wendy and Jack have for each other in the first part of the novel when Wendy describes how she met Jack.
2) Are their emotions authentic? Explain.
3) Are they truthful with each other? Give examples.
4) Compare these emotions with how they interact later in the novel, after they move to the Overlook.
5) What regrets do they have at the end of the novel with regard to their relationship?
6) How does their relationship differ from the first part of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
1) Evaluate the elements of cause and effect in this story using examples from the novel.
2) Choose three events from the story which cause Jack Torrance's life to undergo a change.
3) How does he react to the events and their effects?
4) How does he change emotionally in his own life and in his attitude toward Wendy and Danny?
This section contains 1,772 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)