|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Danny say happened to him in Room 217?
2. Why is Danny sitting on the curb sulking?
3. What is Jack thinking as he gazes at the wasp nest?
4. What is student George Hatfield doing when Jack attacks him?
5. Who does Jack call while Danny waits in the VW?
Short Essay Questions
1. What scares Jack as he turns to look at the topiary from the playground?
2. Why does Wendy change her mind about divorcing Jack?
3. What does Jack discover when he goes to investigate Room 217?
4. Why does Jack compare his life to "The Great Wasp Nest of Life"?
5. What does Danny see on the wallpaper as Ullman gives the Torrance's a tour of the Overlook?
6. What does Danny tell Jack and Wendy once he has gained control of himself?
7. Describe what Halloran says is the "shinin' on," after Danny confides in him about the nightmares he has concerning the Overlook.
8. Describe the woman Danny sees when he enters the bathroom of Room 217.
9. What does Danny imagine is outside his window after Tony warns him not to go to the hotel?
10. Describe the Overlook's cook, Halloran.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Discuss how Jack Torrance's character changes from the beginning of the novel to the end.
2) How does his attitude change toward his family?
3) How does his attitude toward his fathering techniques change?
4) What are the differences in his attitude toward the way his father treated his mother differ from the beginning to the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
1) Give three examples from the novel when Jack Torrance uses poor impulse control.
2) Summarize the reactions to these events by his coworkers, his friend Mr. Shockley, and his family.
3) Analyze the consequences of Jack's actions.
Essay Topic 3
Before moving to the Overlook with Danny and Jack, Wendy has a flashback about her life with Jack from the time he saves her from her mother, to the downward spiral of when he breaks Danny's arm.
1) What does this flashback reveal about her future relationship with Jack?
2) What does the flashback reveal about Jack's future actions?
3) How does Wendy's flashback prepare the reader for what is to come in the story?
This section contains 810 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)