Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What phrase by Ullman echoed in Jack's mind?
2. What occurs at the scenic turnout?
3. As Danny lies awake, what does he imagine about flesh eating plants?
4. What is the important responsibility of the caretaker that Ullman reminds Jack of?
5. What is the "bad thing" the maid is showing Hallorann?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Wendy change her mind about divorcing Jack?
2. Does Wendy escape from Jack after she stabs him?
3. What incident occurs at the school Jack formerly taught that gives the reader an idea of Jack's temper?
4. What does Jack see and hear when he goes to the Colorado Lounge?
5. What happens to Danny when he concentrates, thinking very hard?
6. When Danny comes out of his comatose state, he screams for his Daddy. What does he say and what assumption does Jack make?
7. What is the message Jack receives from his dead father on the two-way radio?
8. What happens to terrify Danny as he contemplates opening the door to Room 217?
9. What do Hallorann, Wendy, and Danny see as they are riding in the snowmobile on the way to Sidewinder?
10. What vision does Danny experience when Dr. Bill asks him to try and contact Tony?
1) Compare Jack Torrance's thoughts and ideas as he gives up drinking in the first section of the novel, to his thoughts when he goes to the Colorado Lounge to talk to Lloyd and Mr. Grady.
2) How does he feel about his family in each of the two parts of the novel?
3) How do her views toward punishment and abuse change from before he lives at the Overlook to after?
1) What is the message King is trying to convey about alcohol and abuse in the novel?
2) Does he depict a realistic and relevant view of human nature through the members of the Torrance family?
3) Are the human qualities of each character true to life? Explain.
4) How do the characters convey the everyday struggles of life?
1) Give three examples from the novel when Jack Torrance uses poor impulse control.
2) Summarize the reactions to these events by his coworkers, his friend Mr. Shockley, and his family.
3) Analyze the consequences of Jack's actions.
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)