|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens in the hallway that nearly freezes Danny with terror?
2. As he ascends the basement stairs, what words of Watson does he recall?
3. What is the important responsibility of the caretaker that Ullman reminds Jack of?
4. Watson explains every hotel has its scandals. What is Overlook's?
5. Why is Jack feeling sympathy for Ullman as he says his goodbyes?
Short Essay Questions
1. As Hallorann drives his car up the road to the Overlook, what message does he receive?
2. What reply does Dick Hallorann get from the ranger station when he calls them, asking that they go check on the Torrances?
3. What incident occurs at the school Jack formerly taught that gives the reader an idea of Jack's temper?
4. What deal does Jack make with Grady if he lets him out of the pantry?
5. What happens to Danny when he concentrates, thinking very hard?
6. What vision does Danny experience when Dr. Bill asks him to try and contact Tony?
7. What advice does Hallorann give to Danny while they are living in Maine?
8. Describe the Overlook's cook, Halloran.
9. What event causes Al Shockley and Jack to swear off drinking?
10. Why does Mr. Ullman hire Jack to be the winter caretaker at the Overlook hotel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Compare Jack Torrance's thoughts and ideas as he gives up drinking in the first section of the novel, to his thoughts when he goes to the Colorado Lounge to talk to Lloyd and Mr. Grady.
2) How does he feel about his family in each of the two parts of the novel?
3) How do her views toward punishment and abuse change from before he lives at the Overlook to after?
Essay Topic 2
1) Analyze the changes in Danny throughout the novel.
2) What fears and emotions does he experience as he the story progresses?
3) How do his attitudes change as his character develops?
4) Cite examples of the character changes Danny goes through as he lives through each terrifying scene.
Essay Topic 3
1) Evaluate the elements of cause and effect in this story using examples from the novel.
2) Choose three events from the story which cause Jack Torrance's life to undergo a change.
3) How does he react to the events and their effects?
4) How does he change emotionally in his own life and in his attitude toward Wendy and Danny?
This section contains 1,799 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)