|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What transpires as Wendy is about to mention divorce?
2. What happens in the hallway that nearly freezes Danny with terror?
3. Where do Wendy and Jack find Danny?
4. What happens as Danny stands at the bedroom window at 2 AM?
5. What entire bottle of tablets did Jack chew to stop a hangover?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Danny's mother tell him about Tony?
2. What does Danny tell Jack and Wendy once he has gained control of himself?
3. What happens to Danny when he concentrates, thinking very hard?
4. Why does Mr. Ullman hire Jack to be the winter caretaker at the Overlook hotel?
5. What incident occurs that causes Jack to dislike the Overlook Hotel?
6. Why does Danny grab the guardrail and become faint when the family is looking at the Overlook Hotel for the first time?
7. Why does Jack call Mr. Ullman?
8. What is Jack's gut reaction once Mr. Ullman leaves the Overlook and the Torrance family is left alone?
9. What scares Jack as he turns to look at the topiary from the playground?
10. Why does Wendy change her mind about divorcing Jack?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Analyze Danny's struggles with having to deal with such extreme violence at an early age.
2) Would you say that his powers help him deal with his terror or only add to it? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
1) What is the message King is trying to convey about alcohol and abuse in the novel?
2) Does he depict a realistic and relevant view of human nature through the members of the Torrance family?
3) Are the human qualities of each character true to life? Explain.
4) How do the characters convey the everyday struggles of life?
Essay Topic 3
1) Evaluate the elements of cause and effect in this story using examples from the novel.
2) Choose three events from the story which cause Jack Torrance's life to undergo a change.
3) How does he react to the events and their effects?
4) How does he change emotionally in his own life and in his attitude toward Wendy and Danny?
This section contains 763 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)