|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What phrase by Ullman echoed in Jack's mind?
2. Why is Jack feeling sympathy for Ullman as he says his goodbyes?
3. What is it that Jack and Al have in common?
4. What happens when Jack covers his eyes and then reopens them?
5. What would Jack do to the topiary animals if he owned the Overlook?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the changes Wendy notices in Jack that cause her to worry so much about him?
2. What does Danny imagine is outside his window after Tony warns him not to go to the hotel?
3. What happens to Danny when he concentrates, thinking very hard?
4. When Danny comes out of his comatose state, he screams for his Daddy. What does he say and what assumption does Jack make?
5. Why does Wendy change her mind about divorcing Jack?
6. What is the message Jack receives from his dead father on the two-way radio?
7. What are the contents of the scrapbook Jack discovers in the basement of the Overlook?
8. Why does Wendy decide to make Danny an appointment for a physical in Sidewinder?
9. Why does Jack call Mr. Ullman?
10. What does Danny tell Jack and Wendy once he has gained control of himself?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Analyze the image of the wasp's nest which Jack finds on the roof of the Overlook and how it comes to life in Danny's bedroom to the mention of a wasp's nest by Hallorann at the end of the story.
2) What does the wasp's nest symbolize?
3) What images does Hallorann use to describe the angry wasps in the Overlook's smoking window?
4) How do these images compare to the images of the wasps in Danny's room?
Essay Topic 2
1) Analyze the changes in Danny throughout the novel.
2) What fears and emotions does he experience as he the story progresses?
3) How do his attitudes change as his character develops?
4) Cite examples of the character changes Danny goes through as he lives through each terrifying scene.
Essay Topic 3
1) Give three examples from the novel when Jack Torrance uses poor impulse control.
2) Summarize the reactions to these events by his coworkers, his friend Mr. Shockley, and his family.
3) Analyze the consequences of Jack's actions.
This section contains 792 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)