|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the last town before Overlook?
2. What transpires as Wendy is about to mention divorce?
3. Why is Danny sitting on the curb sulking?
4. What occurs at the scenic turnout?
5. Why is the road from town to Overlook not plowed?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mr. Ullman hire Jack to be the winter caretaker at the Overlook hotel?
2. Why does Jack call Mr. Ullman?
3. What are the changes Wendy notices in Jack that cause her to worry so much about him?
4. What scares Jack as he turns to look at the topiary from the playground?
5. What does Jack discover when he goes to investigate Room 217?
6. What happens to terrify Danny as he contemplates opening the door to Room 217?
7. What incident occurs that causes Jack to dislike the Overlook Hotel?
8. What does Stephen King compare the Torrance family to as they go into the hotel during the snowstorm?
9. What happens to Danny when he concentrates, thinking very hard?
10. What does Danny's mother tell him about Tony?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Interpret the feelings Wendy and Jack have for each other in the first part of the novel when Wendy describes how she met Jack.
2) Are their emotions authentic? Explain.
3) Are they truthful with each other? Give examples.
4) Compare these emotions with how they interact later in the novel, after they move to the Overlook.
5) What regrets do they have at the end of the novel with regard to their relationship?
6) How does their relationship differ from the first part of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
The Overlook is the main source of terror throughout the novel. It is mentioned in all parts of the story.
1) Explain the different images King gives of the Overlook as the book progresses.
2) What is the significance of the Overlook in each part of the novel?
3) What three different meanings does the Overlook have for each of the characters: Wendy, Danny, and Jack?
Essay Topic 3
1) Compare and contrast the characters of Jack Torrance and his father.
2) Summarize the impact each character has on one another.
3) How is each character realistic in their struggles with alcohol?
4) How are their roles as husbands and fathers alike or different?
This section contains 809 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)