|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Danny want to go to his grandmother's?
2. Why is Watson lingering in the lobby after staff has departed?
3. What happens in the hallway that nearly freezes Danny with terror?
4. What happens as Danny tests his shining on Hallorann?
5. Why is Jack feeling sympathy for Ullman as he says his goodbyes?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the contents of the scrapbook Jack discovers in the basement of the Overlook?
2. Why does Mr. Ullman hire Jack to be the winter caretaker at the Overlook hotel?
3. What view do the Torrance's see as they look out the window in the Overlook Hotel?
4. Why does Jack call Mr. Ullman?
5. What does Danny tell Jack and Wendy once he has gained control of himself?
6. What does Jack discover when he goes to investigate Room 217?
7. Describe what Halloran says is the "shinin' on," after Danny confides in him about the nightmares he has concerning the Overlook.
8. What event causes Al Shockley and Jack to swear off drinking?
9. What does Danny see on the wallpaper as Ullman gives the Torrance's a tour of the Overlook?
10. What does Wendy assume happened to Danny when she sees the red welts around his neck and how does she react?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Summarize how Stephen King uses local color and imagery to describe the Overlook hotel.
2) Cite descriptive examples of rooms, décor, landscaping, the view, and the weather.
3) Does the imagery King uses depict a clear and accurate picture of the Overlook and surrounding landscape?
Essay Topic 2
The Overlook is the main source of terror throughout the novel. It is mentioned in all parts of the story.
1) Explain the different images King gives of the Overlook as the book progresses.
2) What is the significance of the Overlook in each part of the novel?
3) What three different meanings does the Overlook have for each of the characters: Wendy, Danny, and Jack?
Essay Topic 3
1) Compare and contrast the characters of Jack Torrance and his father.
2) Summarize the impact each character has on one another.
3) How is each character realistic in their struggles with alcohol?
4) How are their roles as husbands and fathers alike or different?
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)