|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What entire bottle of tablets did Jack chew to stop a hangover?
2. How does Jack's father kill his mother?
3. What does Wendy tell Danny about his friend, Tony?
4. What does Jack do when he goes to the Colorado Lounge?
5. How does Wendy react when she realizes that Jack really didn't hurt Danny?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Wendy assume happened to Danny when she sees the red welts around his neck and how does she react?
2. What event causes Al Shockley and Jack to swear off drinking?
3. What does Danny tell Jack and Wendy once he has gained control of himself?
4. Why does Mr. Ullman hire Jack to be the winter caretaker at the Overlook hotel?
5. What is the message Jack receives from his dead father on the two-way radio?
6. What incident occurs at the school Jack formerly taught that gives the reader an idea of Jack's temper?
7. What does Danny imagine is outside his window after Tony warns him not to go to the hotel?
8. What does Jack discover when he goes to investigate Room 217?
9. What happens to terrify Danny as he contemplates opening the door to Room 217?
10. What scares Jack as he turns to look at the topiary from the playground?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Analyze the resolution of the story as it relates to each of the characters in the novel.
2) Explain the metamorphosis each of them experiences in the final chapter.
3) Describe how the image of Danny's fishing gives hope to both the reader and the surviving characters.
Essay Topic 2
1) How does Stephen King use images of darkness, grotesque bodies, and the Danny's visions to convey the tone of the novel?
2) How does the weather add to this tone?
3) Justify the answers with examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
1) Evaluate the elements of cause and effect in this story using examples from the novel.
2) Choose three events from the story which cause Jack Torrance's life to undergo a change.
3) How does he react to the events and their effects?
4) How does he change emotionally in his own life and in his attitude toward Wendy and Danny?
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)