|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Jack is ready to leave Room 217, what happens?
2. Where does Wendy find Jack after she hears him screaming?
3. What is the surprise item for Danny when he returns from the store?
4. What does Jack do when he goes to the Colorado Lounge?
5. What thought arises when Jack ends the telephone call to Ullman?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Wendy change her mind about divorcing Jack?
2. When Danny comes out of his comatose state, he screams for his Daddy. What does he say and what assumption does Jack make?
3. What vision does Danny experience when Dr. Bill asks him to try and contact Tony?
4. What are the changes Wendy notices in Jack that cause her to worry so much about him?
5. Describe what Halloran says is the "shinin' on," after Danny confides in him about the nightmares he has concerning the Overlook.
6. What is Jack's gut reaction once Mr. Ullman leaves the Overlook and the Torrance family is left alone?
7. Describe the Overlook's cook, Halloran.
8. What happens to terrify Danny as he contemplates opening the door to Room 217?
9. What does Danny's mother tell him about Tony?
10. What does Wendy assume happened to Danny when she sees the red welts around his neck and how does she react?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Evaluate the elements of cause and effect in this story using examples from the novel.
2) Choose three events from the story which cause Jack Torrance's life to undergo a change.
3) How does he react to the events and their effects?
4) How does he change emotionally in his own life and in his attitude toward Wendy and Danny?
Essay Topic 2
1) Interpret the feelings Wendy and Jack have for each other in the first part of the novel when Wendy describes how she met Jack.
2) Are their emotions authentic? Explain.
3) Are they truthful with each other? Give examples.
4) Compare these emotions with how they interact later in the novel, after they move to the Overlook.
5) What regrets do they have at the end of the novel with regard to their relationship?
6) How does their relationship differ from the first part of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Before moving to the Overlook with Danny and Jack, Wendy has a flashback about her life with Jack from the time he saves her from her mother, to the downward spiral of when he breaks Danny's arm.
1) What does this flashback reveal about her future relationship with Jack?
2) What does the flashback reveal about Jack's future actions?
3) How does Wendy's flashback prepare the reader for what is to come in the story?
This section contains 903 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)