|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Danny doing before bedtime that bothers Wendy?
2. Where do both Danny and Wendy agree to spend the winter?
3. Where does Wendy find Jack after she hears him screaming?
4. How much liquor remains in the Colorado Lounge?
5. What does Danny say happened to him in Room 217?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Danny grab the guardrail and become faint when the family is looking at the Overlook Hotel for the first time?
2. Why does Jack compare his life to "The Great Wasp Nest of Life"?
3. What incident occurs that causes Jack to dislike the Overlook Hotel?
4. What is Jack's gut reaction once Mr. Ullman leaves the Overlook and the Torrance family is left alone?
5. What happens to Danny when he concentrates, thinking very hard?
6. What memory does Jack have that causes him feel worthless and shameful, making him want to drink?
7. What are the changes Wendy notices in Jack that cause her to worry so much about him?
8. What does Danny's mother tell him about Tony?
9. What does Danny see on the wallpaper as Ullman gives the Torrance's a tour of the Overlook?
10. What is the message Jack receives from his dead father on the two-way radio?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Analyze Danny's struggles with having to deal with such extreme violence at an early age.
2) Would you say that his powers help him deal with his terror or only add to it? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
1) What kind of an emotional impact does "the shining" have on Danny and his parents?
2) How does Danny's attitude toward his power differ from the beginning of the story to the end?
3) How does sharing the power with Mr. Hallorann change Danny's view of it?
4) How does Danny use his powers to resolve the conflict in the story?
Essay Topic 3
1) Give three examples from the novel when Jack Torrance uses poor impulse control.
2) Summarize the reactions to these events by his coworkers, his friend Mr. Shockley, and his family.
3) Analyze the consequences of Jack's actions.
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)