|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens in the hallway that nearly freezes Danny with terror?
2. What is Jack's conclusion as the reason he called Ullman?
3. How much liquor remains in the Colorado Lounge?
4. As Jack is ready to leave Room 217, what happens?
5. What is the background of some guests of the Overlook that Jack reads in an article he finds in the basement?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Stephen King compare the Torrance family to as they go into the hotel during the snowstorm?
2. As Hallorann drives his car up the road to the Overlook, what message does he receive?
3. Why does Mr. Ullman hire Jack to be the winter caretaker at the Overlook hotel?
4. When Danny comes out of his comatose state, he screams for his Daddy. What does he say and what assumption does Jack make?
5. Why is Hallorann so frustrated when he gets off the plane in Denver?
6. What events take place after Wendy finds Jack drunk on the floor?
7. Why does Jack compare his life to "The Great Wasp Nest of Life"?
8. What does Danny's mother tell him about Tony?
9. Why does Wendy change her mind about divorcing Jack?
10. Jack leaves Room 217 and goes back to the kitchen where Wendy and Danny are waiting. What does he tell them he found in Room 217?
Essay Topic 1
1) What is the message King is trying to convey about alcohol and abuse in the novel?
2) Does he depict a realistic and relevant view of human nature through the members of the Torrance family?
3) Are the human qualities of each character true to life? Explain.
4) How do the characters convey the everyday struggles of life?
Essay Topic 2
1) Compare and contrast the characters of Jack Torrance and his father.
2) Summarize the impact each character has on one another.
3) How is each character realistic in their struggles with alcohol?
4) How are their roles as husbands and fathers alike or different?
Essay Topic 3
1) Analyze the resolution of the story as it relates to each of the characters in the novel.
2) Explain the metamorphosis each of them experiences in the final chapter.
3) Describe how the image of Danny's fishing gives hope to both the reader and the surviving characters.
This section contains 1,794 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)