|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the outcome of Jack's attack on George Hatfield?
2. What does Jack think about when he takes a break from trimming the topiary animals and goes to the playground?
3. Why does Dr. Edmonds theorize Danny does not need Tony anymore?
4. What does Danny say happened to him in Room 217?
5. What does Jack do when he sees George in the act of vandalism?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Jack's gut reaction once Mr. Ullman leaves the Overlook and the Torrance family is left alone?
2. Describe the woman Danny sees when he enters the bathroom of Room 217.
3. What memory does Jack have that causes him feel worthless and shameful, making him want to drink?
4. Why does Mr. Ullman hire Jack to be the winter caretaker at the Overlook hotel?
5. What happens to Danny when he concentrates, thinking very hard?
6. What does Wendy assume happened to Danny when she sees the red welts around his neck and how does she react?
7. What vision does Danny experience when Dr. Bill asks him to try and contact Tony?
8. What does Danny see on the wallpaper as Ullman gives the Torrance's a tour of the Overlook?
9. What are the changes Wendy notices in Jack that cause her to worry so much about him?
10. When Danny comes out of his comatose state, he screams for his Daddy. What does he say and what assumption does Jack make?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Analyze Jack's final acts in the story.
2) Was his character completely evil in the end?
3) Justify the answer with examples from the story.
4) What alternatives did he have at the climax of the story?
Essay Topic 2
1) Analyze the relationship between Danny and Dick Hallorann.
2) What does Hallorann tell Danny to do if he gets into any trouble?
3) How does this affect the outcome of the novel?
4) How does their "shining" affect their relationship?
Essay Topic 3
1) Interpret the feelings Wendy and Jack have for each other in the first part of the novel when Wendy describes how she met Jack.
2) Are their emotions authentic? Explain.
3) Are they truthful with each other? Give examples.
4) Compare these emotions with how they interact later in the novel, after they move to the Overlook.
5) What regrets do they have at the end of the novel with regard to their relationship?
6) How does their relationship differ from the first part of the novel?
This section contains 868 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)