|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Wendy assume happened to Danny's neck?
2. Why is Watson lingering in the lobby after staff has departed?
3. As Danny runs to the door, what does he remember Hallorann told him?
4. How does Jack feel about Danny going into Room 217?
5. What gruesome literary work comes to mind as Danny stands at room 217?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Danny imagine is outside his window after Tony warns him not to go to the hotel?
2. What does Wendy assume happened to Danny when she sees the red welts around his neck and how does she react?
3. What incident occurs that causes Jack to dislike the Overlook Hotel?
4. What is Jack's gut reaction once Mr. Ullman leaves the Overlook and the Torrance family is left alone?
5. What memory does Jack have that causes him feel worthless and shameful, making him want to drink?
6. What does Danny tell Jack and Wendy once he has gained control of himself?
7. Describe what Halloran says is the "shinin' on," after Danny confides in him about the nightmares he has concerning the Overlook.
8. Why does Danny grab the guardrail and become faint when the family is looking at the Overlook Hotel for the first time?
9. Describe the woman Danny sees when he enters the bathroom of Room 217.
10. What happens to terrify Danny as he contemplates opening the door to Room 217?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) How does Stephen King use images of darkness, grotesque bodies, and the Danny's visions to convey the tone of the novel?
2) How does the weather add to this tone?
3) Justify the answers with examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
1) Discuss how Jack Torrance's character changes from the beginning of the novel to the end.
2) How does his attitude change toward his family?
3) How does his attitude toward his fathering techniques change?
4) What are the differences in his attitude toward the way his father treated his mother differ from the beginning to the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
1) Analyze the image of the wasp's nest which Jack finds on the roof of the Overlook and how it comes to life in Danny's bedroom to the mention of a wasp's nest by Hallorann at the end of the story.
2) What does the wasp's nest symbolize?
3) What images does Hallorann use to describe the angry wasps in the Overlook's smoking window?
4) How do these images compare to the images of the wasps in Danny's room?
This section contains 862 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)