|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jack dream his father tells him through the radio?
2. What is the "bad thing" the maid is showing Hallorann?
3. How did Jack's father treat him when he was drunk?
4. What 3 words does Danny say as Jack is shaking him?
5. What does Jack say he intentionally did to Danny?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Stephen King compare the Torrance family to as they go into the hotel during the snowstorm?
2. Jack feels Wendy is nagging him when she continues to ask about finding the snowmobile to get away from the Overlook? As Jack dwells on what she has said, what solution does he come up with?
3. Why does Jack call Mr. Ullman?
4. What does Jack see and hear when he goes to the Colorado Lounge?
5. What events take place after Wendy finds Jack drunk on the floor?
6. What do Hallorann, Wendy, and Danny see as they are riding in the snowmobile on the way to Sidewinder?
7. Why does Wendy decide to make Danny an appointment for a physical in Sidewinder?
8. What are the contents of the scrapbook Jack discovers in the basement of the Overlook?
9. What does Danny think about as he and Wendy wait in the bedroom with a kitchen knife in Wendy's hand?
10. Why does Mr. Ullman hire Jack to be the winter caretaker at the Overlook hotel?
Essay Topic 1
Before moving to the Overlook with Danny and Jack, Wendy has a flashback about her life with Jack from the time he saves her from her mother, to the downward spiral of when he breaks Danny's arm.
1) What does this flashback reveal about her future relationship with Jack?
2) What does the flashback reveal about Jack's future actions?
3) How does Wendy's flashback prepare the reader for what is to come in the story?
Essay Topic 2
1) Evaluate the relationship between Danny and his mother, Wendy.
2) How does Jack affect their relationship with one another?
3) What is it that causes Wendy to worry so much about Danny?
4) Give examples from the story of how they interact with one another.
Essay Topic 3
1) Summarize how Stephen King uses local color and imagery to describe the Overlook hotel.
2) Cite descriptive examples of rooms, décor, landscaping, the view, and the weather.
3) Does the imagery King uses depict a clear and accurate picture of the Overlook and surrounding landscape?
This section contains 1,722 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)