|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens as Danny stands at the bedroom window at 2 AM?
2. What does Wendy tell Danny about his friend, Tony?
3. What happens in the hallway that nearly freezes Danny with terror?
4. What is Wendy thinking about the 1926 Overlook elevator?
5. What is Jack's conclusion as the reason he called Ullman?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to terrify Danny as he contemplates opening the door to Room 217?
2. Why does Danny grab the guardrail and become faint when the family is looking at the Overlook Hotel for the first time?
3. What incident occurs at the school Jack formerly taught that gives the reader an idea of Jack's temper?
4. What view do the Torrance's see as they look out the window in the Overlook Hotel?
5. What are the changes Wendy notices in Jack that cause her to worry so much about him?
6. Why does Wendy decide to make Danny an appointment for a physical in Sidewinder?
7. Describe the woman Danny sees when he enters the bathroom of Room 217.
8. What does Stephen King compare the Torrance family to as they go into the hotel during the snowstorm?
9. What does Jack discover when he goes to investigate Room 217?
10. What happens to Danny when he concentrates, thinking very hard?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Analyze Jack's final acts in the story.
2) Was his character completely evil in the end?
3) Justify the answer with examples from the story.
4) What alternatives did he have at the climax of the story?
Essay Topic 2
1) Analyze the relationship between Danny and Dick Hallorann.
2) What does Hallorann tell Danny to do if he gets into any trouble?
3) How does this affect the outcome of the novel?
4) How does their "shining" affect their relationship?
Essay Topic 3
1) Evaluate the relationship between Danny and his mother, Wendy.
2) How does Jack affect their relationship with one another?
3) What is it that causes Wendy to worry so much about Danny?
4) Give examples from the story of how they interact with one another.
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)