|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What would Jack do to the topiary animals if he owned the Overlook?
2. Where are Jack and Wendy while the dead woman is strangling Danny?
3. What is the last town before Overlook?
4. How does Danny feel while he sits with his parents in the Overlook lobby?
5. What is Jack's conclusion as the reason he called Ullman?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Jack's gut reaction once Mr. Ullman leaves the Overlook and the Torrance family is left alone?
2. What are the changes Wendy notices in Jack that cause her to worry so much about him?
3. What does Danny tell Jack and Wendy once he has gained control of himself?
4. What incident occurs at the school Jack formerly taught that gives the reader an idea of Jack's temper?
5. Why does Danny grab the guardrail and become faint when the family is looking at the Overlook Hotel for the first time?
6. When Danny comes out of his comatose state, he screams for his Daddy. What does he say and what assumption does Jack make?
7. Why does Wendy change her mind about divorcing Jack?
8. What event causes Al Shockley and Jack to swear off drinking?
9. What memory does Jack have that causes him feel worthless and shameful, making him want to drink?
10. What happens to Danny when he concentrates, thinking very hard?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Compare and contrast the characters of Jack Torrance and his father.
2) Summarize the impact each character has on one another.
3) How is each character realistic in their struggles with alcohol?
4) How are their roles as husbands and fathers alike or different?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, Jack is afraid of being like his father.
1) Describe the accomplishments Jack achieves in his lifetime that makes him different from his father.
2) Explain why Jack's actions in the final sections of the story turn his fears about being like his father into reality.
Essay Topic 3
1) Analyze the relationship between Danny and Dick Hallorann.
2) What does Hallorann tell Danny to do if he gets into any trouble?
3) How does this affect the outcome of the novel?
4) How does their "shining" affect their relationship?
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)