|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Wendy thinking about the 1926 Overlook elevator?
2. What is Jack thinking as he gazes at the wasp nest?
3. What does Wendy tell Danny about his friend, Tony?
4. What does Danny say happened to him in Room 217?
5. As Danny lies awake, what does he imagine about flesh eating plants?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Danny comes out of his comatose state, he screams for his Daddy. What does he say and what assumption does Jack make?
2. What incident occurs that causes Jack to dislike the Overlook Hotel?
3. Describe the woman Danny sees when he enters the bathroom of Room 217.
4. What are the changes Wendy notices in Jack that cause her to worry so much about him?
5. What memory does Jack have that causes him feel worthless and shameful, making him want to drink?
6. What happens to terrify Danny as he contemplates opening the door to Room 217?
7. What is Jack's gut reaction once Mr. Ullman leaves the Overlook and the Torrance family is left alone?
8. Why does Mr. Ullman hire Jack to be the winter caretaker at the Overlook hotel?
9. What does Danny see on the wallpaper as Ullman gives the Torrance's a tour of the Overlook?
10. What scares Jack as he turns to look at the topiary from the playground?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Analyze Jack's final acts in the story.
2) Was his character completely evil in the end?
3) Justify the answer with examples from the story.
4) What alternatives did he have at the climax of the story?
Essay Topic 2
1) Interpret the feelings Wendy and Jack have for each other in the first part of the novel when Wendy describes how she met Jack.
2) Are their emotions authentic? Explain.
3) Are they truthful with each other? Give examples.
4) Compare these emotions with how they interact later in the novel, after they move to the Overlook.
5) What regrets do they have at the end of the novel with regard to their relationship?
6) How does their relationship differ from the first part of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
1) What kind of an emotional impact does "the shining" have on Danny and his parents?
2) How does Danny's attitude toward his power differ from the beginning of the story to the end?
3) How does sharing the power with Mr. Hallorann change Danny's view of it?
4) How does Danny use his powers to resolve the conflict in the story?
This section contains 845 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)