|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Jack feel about Danny going into Room 217?
(a) He feels Danny should be punished no matter how scared he is
(b) He feels it is okay if Danny went into the room
(c) Angry that Danny stole the key to the room
(d) He doesn't blame Danny for going into the room
2. Where do Wendy and Jack find Danny?
(a) In the equipment shed
(b) In the topiary
(c) In the basement
(d) At the top of the stairs with a bruised neck
3. How does Wendy react when she realizes that Jack really didn't hurt Danny?
(a) She figures he will hurt Danny sooner or later
(b) She doesn't care that she blamed him
(c) She tries to pretend that she never accused Jack of hurting Danny
(d) She is remorseful for not giving Jack the benefit of the doubt
4. What is Danny doing before bedtime that bothers Wendy?
(a) Reading aloud with a fierce intensity
(b) Scattering his books on the floor
(c) Staring blankly out the bedroom window
(d) Mumbling as if conversing with an unseen person
5. Why is Stuart Ullman hiring Jack to be caretaker of the Overlook?
(a) He wants to give Jack a chance
(b) Because of the influence of Albert Shockley
(c) He likes Jack's attitude
(d) He knows Jack needs the money
Short Answer Questions
1. What entire bottle of tablets did Jack chew to stop a hangover?
2. What does Wendy tell Danny about his friend, Tony?
3. What does Jack tell Ullman he intends to do?
4. What is roque?
5. Where are Jack and Wendy while the dead woman is strangling Danny?
Short Essay Questions
1. What incident occurs that causes Jack to dislike the Overlook Hotel?
2. Describe what Halloran says is the "shinin' on," after Danny confides in him about the nightmares he has concerning the Overlook.
3. Describe the Overlook's cook, Halloran.
4. Why does Wendy change her mind about divorcing Jack?
5. What happens to Danny when he concentrates, thinking very hard?
6. What does Danny see on the wallpaper as Ullman gives the Torrance's a tour of the Overlook?
7. What are the changes Wendy notices in Jack that cause her to worry so much about him?
8. What are the contents of the scrapbook Jack discovers in the basement of the Overlook?
9. Why does Danny grab the guardrail and become faint when the family is looking at the Overlook Hotel for the first time?
10. Why does Mr. Ullman hire Jack to be the winter caretaker at the Overlook hotel?
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)