|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hallorann always smell before he shines?
(c) Pine trees
(d) Chicken cooking
2. What 3 words does Danny say as Jack is shaking him?
(a) Let Hallorann speak
(b) Call the sheriff
(c) Roque, Stroke, REDRUM
(d) Stop shaking me
3. What occurs at the scenic turnout?
(a) The VW overheats and stalls for hours
(b) Danny realizes REDRUM is at the Overlook
(c) Wendy refuses to look at the panorama
(d) Wendy comments on heavy traffic coming from Overlook
4. What does Wendy do when she gets to Danny?
(a) She picks him up and runs to the bedroom
(b) She tells Jack to carry Danny to the bedroom
(c) She faints at the sight of Danny's neck
(d) She yells at Danny for scaring her
5. Why doesn't Danny want to go to his grandmother's?
(a) His grandmother's house smells
(b) He knows about the hatred between Wendy and her mother
(c) His grandmother has mean cats
(d) He doesn't like his grandmother's cooking
Short Answer Questions
1. When Danny breaks free from Wendy's arms, what does he scream?
2. What thought is Hallorann shining to Danny?
3. How does Jack respond to Wendy's suggestion Danny get a check-up?
4. How does Jack feel about Danny going into Room 217?
5. Why is Jack feeling sympathy for Ullman as he says his goodbyes?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Stephen King compare the Torrance family to as they go into the hotel during the snowstorm?
2. What deal does Jack make with Grady if he lets him out of the pantry?
3. What does Jack hope Wendy asks him after he slaps Danny and they get him settled down to sleep?
4. What happens when the monster invading Jack's body goes into the boiler roo
5. What does the conversation between Grady and Jack consist of while they are in the Colorado Lounge?
6. Why does Danny grab the guardrail and become faint when the family is looking at the Overlook Hotel for the first time?
7. What goes through Hallorann's mind when he goes into the equipment shed to get blankets for Wendy and Danny?
8. What events take place after Wendy finds Jack drunk on the floor?
9. Why does Wendy change her mind about divorcing Jack?
10. What happens to terrify Danny as he contemplates opening the door to Room 217?
This section contains 814 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)