|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Jack's father treat him when he was drunk?
(a) Screamed at him
(b) Beat him
(c) Hugged him
(d) Ignored him
2. How does Wendy react when she realizes that Jack really didn't hurt Danny?
(a) She doesn't care that she blamed him
(b) She figures he will hurt Danny sooner or later
(c) She is remorseful for not giving Jack the benefit of the doubt
(d) She tries to pretend that she never accused Jack of hurting Danny
3. What is Danny doing before bedtime that bothers Wendy?
(a) Reading aloud with a fierce intensity
(b) Mumbling as if conversing with an unseen person
(c) Scattering his books on the floor
(d) Staring blankly out the bedroom window
4. What is the last town before Overlook?
(c) Ullman Township
(d) Sidewinder Pass
5. What is Jack's conclusion as the reason he called Ullman?
(a) To be fired while there was still time
(b) To report a boiler malfunction
(c) To ask if he could stay on after next May
(d) To generally keep in touch
Short Answer Questions
1. What indicates to Wendy that all is not right with Danny?
2. What does Wendy think as she, Danny, and Jack watch the snow fall?
3. What does Wendy assume happened to Danny's neck?
4. What does Jack find when he first pulls back the shower curtain in Room 217?
5. What does Jack see in the bathroom of Room 217 the second time he looks?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Wendy change her mind about divorcing Jack?
2. Describe what Halloran says is the "shinin' on," after Danny confides in him about the nightmares he has concerning the Overlook.
3. What happens to terrify Danny as he contemplates opening the door to Room 217?
4. What memory does Jack have that causes him feel worthless and shameful, making him want to drink?
5. What incident occurs that causes Jack to dislike the Overlook Hotel?
6. What is the message Jack receives from his dead father on the two-way radio?
7. What incident occurs at the school Jack formerly taught that gives the reader an idea of Jack's temper?
8. What does Jack discover when he goes to investigate Room 217?
9. What event causes Al Shockley and Jack to swear off drinking?
10. What does Danny's mother tell him about Tony?
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)