|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the background of some guests of the Overlook that Jack reads in an article he finds in the basement?
(a) They were involved in murder, drug trafficking, tax evasion, prostitution, bootlegging and illegal gambling
(b) They were the families of heroes who served in the war
(c) They were film stars and entertainers
(d) They were upstanding political figures
2. What gruesome literary work comes to mind as Danny stands at room 217?
(a) Fitcher's Bird
(b) The Bloody Chamber
(d) How the Devil Married Three Sisters
3. What thought is Hallorann shining to Danny?
(a) Pretend illness and get out of Overlook today
(b) Your father hates you
(c) Your family is in danger at Overlook
(d) Sure you don't want to go to Florida doc?
4. Where do both Danny and Wendy agree to spend the winter?
(a) In Vermont
(b) At the Overlook
(c) At her mother's
(d) In Sidewinder
5. What is Wendy resigned to accept?
(a) Danny has an unbreakable bond with Jack
(b) Her restless nights will last the remainder of her lifetime
(c) Jack and Al will remain drunkards
(d) The family will always struggle and never get ahead
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Wendy think as she, Danny, and Jack watch the snow fall?
2. How does Danny feel while he sits with his parents in the Overlook lobby?
3. What happens in the hallway that nearly freezes Danny with terror?
4. When Danny shines what is the name of the imaginary person?
5. What does Danny say happened to him in Room 217?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Danny when he concentrates, thinking very hard?
2. What view do the Torrance's see as they look out the window in the Overlook Hotel?
3. Describe the Overlook's cook, Halloran.
4. Why does Wendy change her mind about divorcing Jack?
5. Why does Wendy decide to make Danny an appointment for a physical in Sidewinder?
6. What does Danny imagine is outside his window after Tony warns him not to go to the hotel?
7. What is Jack's gut reaction once Mr. Ullman leaves the Overlook and the Torrance family is left alone?
8. What happens to terrify Danny as he contemplates opening the door to Room 217?
9. What vision does Danny experience when Dr. Bill asks him to try and contact Tony?
10. What incident occurs at the school Jack formerly taught that gives the reader an idea of Jack's temper?
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)