|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What indicates to Wendy that all is not right with Danny?
(a) She thinks he has lost weight
(b) He is tired all the time
(c) He chatters non-stop
(d) Bad dreams every night
2. What does Wendy sense from the moment Danny is born?
(a) She will not have another child
(b) Danny is somehow unusual
(c) The family should re-locate to Massachusetts
(d) She will have many more children
3. What does Wendy think as she, Danny, and Jack watch the snow fall?
(a) If it will ever be spring
(b) What will become of them?
(c) If Danny will have to go to the doctor
(d) If she can save her marriage
4. What old behaviors are Jack doing that has Wendy worried?
(a) Anger, profanity, rage, rubbing his lips, silence
(b) Contradicting, dancing, biting his nails
(c) Laughing, passing out, biting his lip
(d) Picking his eyebrows, biting his nails, spitting
5. What is the "bad thing" the maid is showing Hallorann?
(a) The pool
(b) Room 217
(c) The kitchen
(d) The lobby
Short Answer Questions
1. Watson explains every hotel has its scandals. What is Overlook's?
2. What does Wendy tell Danny about his friend, Tony?
3. As Danny runs to the door, what does he remember Hallorann told him?
4. As Danny lies awake, what does he imagine about flesh eating plants?
5. What happens as Danny tests his shining on Hallorann?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mr. Ullman hire Jack to be the winter caretaker at the Overlook hotel?
2. What vision does Danny experience when Dr. Bill asks him to try and contact Tony?
3. What scares Jack as he turns to look at the topiary from the playground?
4. Describe the woman Danny sees when he enters the bathroom of Room 217.
5. Why does Jack call Mr. Ullman?
6. What are the contents of the scrapbook Jack discovers in the basement of the Overlook?
7. What is Jack's gut reaction once Mr. Ullman leaves the Overlook and the Torrance family is left alone?
8. What incident occurs at the school Jack formerly taught that gives the reader an idea of Jack's temper?
9. What incident occurs that causes Jack to dislike the Overlook Hotel?
10. Describe the Overlook's cook, Halloran.
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)