|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the purpose of the thermostats at Overlook?
(a) Keep the dust to a minimum
(b) Are all set at the same temperature
(c) Control the guest rooms within 2 degrees of setting
(d) Are just for show, not connected
2. As Danny lies awake, what does he imagine about flesh eating plants?
(a) They surround Overlook
(b) They surround the VW
(c) They drag Jack away
(d) They drag him to darkness
3. What happens as Danny stands at the bedroom window at 2 AM?
(a) He sees vandals once again puncture VW tires
(b) He hears only soft breezes.
(c) He sees a deserted street
(d) He sees Jack passed out on the sidewalk.
4. What is the background of some guests of the Overlook that Jack reads in an article he finds in the basement?
(a) They were the families of heroes who served in the war
(b) They were upstanding political figures
(c) They were involved in murder, drug trafficking, tax evasion, prostitution, bootlegging and illegal gambling
(d) They were film stars and entertainers
5. What is Wendy resigned to accept?
(a) Jack and Al will remain drunkards
(b) Her restless nights will last the remainder of her lifetime
(c) Danny has an unbreakable bond with Jack
(d) The family will always struggle and never get ahead
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Jack thinking as he gazes at the wasp nest?
2. What is it that scares Danny before his shine ends at the curb?
3. Why is Danny sitting on the curb sulking?
4. Who is sitting at the lobby fireplace on the Overlook's closing day?
5. What is the time period when the Overlook is built?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Wendy change her mind about divorcing Jack?
2. What does Danny's mother tell him about Tony?
3. Describe the Overlook's cook, Halloran.
4. Why does Danny grab the guardrail and become faint when the family is looking at the Overlook Hotel for the first time?
5. Why does Jack compare his life to "The Great Wasp Nest of Life"?
6. What view do the Torrance's see as they look out the window in the Overlook Hotel?
7. What does Danny tell Jack and Wendy once he has gained control of himself?
8. Why does Jack call Mr. Ullman?
9. What memory does Jack have that causes him feel worthless and shameful, making him want to drink?
10. What does Danny imagine is outside his window after Tony warns him not to go to the hotel?
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)