|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jack say he intentionally did to Danny?
(a) Left him alone in the car for long periods
(b) Told him scary stories
(c) Broke his arm
(d) Suggested he was a strange, loser child
2. What is the important responsibility of the caretaker that Ullman reminds Jack of?
(a) Repair the roof
(b) Keep the pantry stocked
(c) Maintain the playground
(d) Be sure to check the boiler
3. What is it that scares Danny before his shine ends at the curb?
(a) Tom the drunk
(b) The VW huffing up the street
(c) The word divorce
(d) Redrum redrum redrum written on a bathroom mirror
4. What happens in the hallway that nearly freezes Danny with terror?
(a) The fire hose nozzle plus a short length fall to the carpet
(b) Several guest room doors quickly open and slam shut
(c) Hundreds of wasps are at the window
(d) He hears band music from earlier decades
5. What does Dr. Edmonds say Danny possesses?
(a) Very good memory
(b) Emotional instability
(c) Extraordinary human perception
(d) Scattered illusions
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Al Shockley react to Jack's idea about writing a historical book about the Overlook?
2. Why is Jack mocking George?
3. Where does Wendy find Jack after she hears him screaming?
4. What does Danny see in the bathroom?
5. What does Wendy sense from the moment Danny is born?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Jack's gut reaction once Mr. Ullman leaves the Overlook and the Torrance family is left alone?
2. What does Danny tell Jack and Wendy once he has gained control of himself?
3. Why does Jack compare his life to "The Great Wasp Nest of Life"?
4. Why does Mr. Ullman hire Jack to be the winter caretaker at the Overlook hotel?
5. Why does Wendy decide to make Danny an appointment for a physical in Sidewinder?
6. What scares Jack as he turns to look at the topiary from the playground?
7. What memory does Jack have that causes him feel worthless and shameful, making him want to drink?
8. What does Jack discover when he goes to investigate Room 217?
9. Describe the Overlook's cook, Halloran.
10. What is the message Jack receives from his dead father on the two-way radio?
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)