|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What would Jack do to the topiary animals if he owned the Overlook?
(a) Trim them regularly
(b) Hire a professional landscaper to take care of them
(c) Cut them all down
(d) Fertilize the soil around them
2. What is Wendy thinking about the 1926 Overlook elevator?
(a) It is well maintained
(b) It is quaint
(c) It is unsafe
(d) It is too small
3. What happens as Danny tests his shining on Hallorann?
(a) Danny passes out
(b) Hallorann winces, jerks backward and bites his lip
(d) Hallorann passes out
4. How does Jack respond to Wendy's suggestion Danny get a check-up?
(a) Wordlessly stalks away
(b) Says all three of them should get a check-up
(c) Rambles on about his childhood at Danny's age.
(d) A verbal rant at Wendy
5. Why is Jack ranting before Danny provides the answer?
(a) Wendy's expensive wristwatch is missing
(b) The VW fuel pump has failed
(c) The movers broke at least 6 things
(d) He cannot locate the trunk labeled
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is sitting at the lobby fireplace on the Overlook's closing day?
2. What is the important responsibility of the caretaker that Ullman reminds Jack of?
3. What does Jack do when he goes to the Colorado Lounge?
4. What does Danny see in the bathroom?
5. What happens when Jack covers his eyes and then reopens them?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Overlook's cook, Halloran.
2. Why does Mr. Ullman hire Jack to be the winter caretaker at the Overlook hotel?
3. Describe the woman Danny sees when he enters the bathroom of Room 217.
4. What is Jack's gut reaction once Mr. Ullman leaves the Overlook and the Torrance family is left alone?
5. Why does Danny grab the guardrail and become faint when the family is looking at the Overlook Hotel for the first time?
6. What incident occurs at the school Jack formerly taught that gives the reader an idea of Jack's temper?
7. What happens to terrify Danny as he contemplates opening the door to Room 217?
8. What does Danny see on the wallpaper as Ullman gives the Torrance's a tour of the Overlook?
9. What event causes Al Shockley and Jack to swear off drinking?
10. What are the changes Wendy notices in Jack that cause her to worry so much about him?
This section contains 792 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)