|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Jack ranting before Danny provides the answer?
(a) The movers broke at least 6 things
(b) He cannot locate the trunk labeled
(c) Wendy's expensive wristwatch is missing
(d) The VW fuel pump has failed
2. Where does Wendy find Jack after she hears him screaming?
(a) In the basement with the scrapbook in his lap
(b) At his typewriter
(c) In the pantry, cowering in the corner
(d) In Ullman's office with a broken CB radio
3. Why does Dr. Edmonds theorize Danny does not need Tony anymore?
(a) Tony has said too many things that did not come true
(b) Danny fears being separated from Jack
(c) Jack and Wendy get along now, so Tony has outlived his usefulness
(d) Danny is getting older
4. Watson explains every hotel has its scandals. What is Overlook's?
(a) Illegal workers often hide here for weeks
(b) Criminals often operate here for months because of the seclusion
(c) Non-payment of taxes for years
(d) The rich woman overdoses when the 17 year old
5. What is it that scares Danny before his shine ends at the curb?
(a) The word divorce
(b) Tom the drunk
(c) The VW huffing up the street
(d) Redrum redrum redrum written on a bathroom mirror
Short Answer Questions
1. What would Jack do to the topiary animals if he owned the Overlook?
2. As Danny lies awake, what does he imagine about flesh eating plants?
3. What indicates to Wendy that all is not right with Danny?
4. When Danny shines what is the name of the imaginary person?
5. What happens as Danny tests his shining on Hallorann?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what Halloran says is the "shinin' on," after Danny confides in him about the nightmares he has concerning the Overlook.
2. What memory does Jack have that causes him feel worthless and shameful, making him want to drink?
3. What is Jack's gut reaction once Mr. Ullman leaves the Overlook and the Torrance family is left alone?
4. What incident occurs at the school Jack formerly taught that gives the reader an idea of Jack's temper?
5. Describe the Overlook's cook, Halloran.
6. What scares Jack as he turns to look at the topiary from the playground?
7. Why does Wendy decide to make Danny an appointment for a physical in Sidewinder?
8. What does Danny tell Jack and Wendy once he has gained control of himself?
9. Why does Mr. Ullman hire Jack to be the winter caretaker at the Overlook hotel?
10. Why does Wendy change her mind about divorcing Jack?
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)