|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Jack mocking George?
(a) Because George is dense
(b) Because George is a wimp
(c) Because George's father is wealthy
(d) Because George stutters
2. What does Jack do when he goes to the Colorado Lounge?
(a) He sits on a barstool talking to his father
(b) He starts a conversation with Lloyd, the bartender
(c) He sits down and cries
(d) He thinks about how much he loves Wendy
3. What does Jack notice when he hears a noise behind him in the topiary?
(a) A rabbit jumps out of the bushes
(b) The hedge animals are blocking his path
(c) Wendy is waving to him
(d) Danny is playing in the snow
4. Why is Danny sitting on the curb sulking?
(a) His dog is missing for over 1 hour
(b) Tom, the drunk man on the third floor scares him
(c) He awaits his father to fix his glider
(d) His mother has just screamed and scolded him
5. Why is Stuart Ullman hiring Jack to be caretaker of the Overlook?
(a) He wants to give Jack a chance
(b) Because of the influence of Albert Shockley
(c) He knows Jack needs the money
(d) He likes Jack's attitude
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Jack feeling sympathy for Ullman as he says his goodbyes?
2. As Jack is ready to leave Room 217, what happens?
3. What does Hallorann always smell before he shines?
4. How does Al Shockley react to Jack's idea about writing a historical book about the Overlook?
5. What is Wendy thinking about the 1926 Overlook elevator?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Jack's gut reaction once Mr. Ullman leaves the Overlook and the Torrance family is left alone?
2. Describe the Overlook's cook, Halloran.
3. What scares Jack as he turns to look at the topiary from the playground?
4. When Danny comes out of his comatose state, he screams for his Daddy. What does he say and what assumption does Jack make?
5. Describe the woman Danny sees when he enters the bathroom of Room 217.
6. Why does Danny grab the guardrail and become faint when the family is looking at the Overlook Hotel for the first time?
7. What is the message Jack receives from his dead father on the two-way radio?
8. Why does Jack call Mr. Ullman?
9. Why does Wendy decide to make Danny an appointment for a physical in Sidewinder?
10. What does Stephen King compare the Torrance family to as they go into the hotel during the snowstorm?
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)