|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Jack's father kill his mother?
(a) He pushes her down the stairs
(b) He suffocates her
(c) He hits her full force in the face and the back of the head, and cracking open her skull
(d) He poisons her
2. What does Hallorann always smell before he shines?
(a) Pine trees
(c) Chicken cooking
3. As Jack is ready to leave Room 217, what happens?
(a) He sees blood on the floor
(b) He sees a hedge lion in the doorway
(c) The door locks before he can get out
(d) He smells lavender soap and hears a metallic sound from the bathroom
4. What does Wendy think as she, Danny, and Jack watch the snow fall?
(a) If she can save her marriage
(b) What will become of them?
(c) If it will ever be spring
(d) If Danny will have to go to the doctor
5. What does Danny see in the bathroom?
(b) An empty wasp's nest
(c) A dead bloated female corpse grinning up at him with glassy dead eyes
(d) Ullman's head
Short Answer Questions
1. As he ascends the basement stairs, what words of Watson does he recall?
2. What random thought comes to Jack when reading about the costume ball?
3. What entire bottle of tablets did Jack chew to stop a hangover?
4. Why is Jack feeling sympathy for Ullman as he says his goodbyes?
5. Why is Watson lingering in the lobby after staff has departed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What memory does Jack have that causes him feel worthless and shameful, making him want to drink?
2. What happens to Danny when he concentrates, thinking very hard?
3. What vision does Danny experience when Dr. Bill asks him to try and contact Tony?
4. What incident occurs at the school Jack formerly taught that gives the reader an idea of Jack's temper?
5. What does Wendy assume happened to Danny when she sees the red welts around his neck and how does she react?
6. What is Jack's gut reaction once Mr. Ullman leaves the Overlook and the Torrance family is left alone?
7. What does Danny see on the wallpaper as Ullman gives the Torrance's a tour of the Overlook?
8. Why does Wendy decide to make Danny an appointment for a physical in Sidewinder?
9. Why does Wendy change her mind about divorcing Jack?
10. What are the contents of the scrapbook Jack discovers in the basement of the Overlook?
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)