|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Danny feel while he sits with his parents in the Overlook lobby?
(c) Too tired for people watching
2. Where do Wendy and Jack find Danny?
(a) In the topiary
(b) In the equipment shed
(c) At the top of the stairs with a bruised neck
(d) In the basement
3. What does Jack do when he goes to the Colorado Lounge?
(a) He sits down and cries
(b) He sits on a barstool talking to his father
(c) He thinks about how much he loves Wendy
(d) He starts a conversation with Lloyd, the bartender
4. What does Jack tell Ullman he intends to do?
(a) Shut down the heat on the second and third floors
(b) Write a book about Overlook
(c) Discard the paper clutter in the basement
(d) Call Al Shockley
5. What does Jack notice when he hears a noise behind him in the topiary?
(a) The hedge animals are blocking his path
(b) Danny is playing in the snow
(c) Wendy is waving to him
(d) A rabbit jumps out of the bushes
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Stuart Ullman hiring Jack to be caretaker of the Overlook?
2. What does Danny tell his mother when she asks him to ask Tony if they should leave the hotel?
3. What happens in the hallway that nearly freezes Danny with terror?
4. What is student George Hatfield doing when Jack attacks him?
5. What happens as Danny tests his shining on Hallorann?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jack discover when he goes to investigate Room 217?
2. What incident occurs at the school Jack formerly taught that gives the reader an idea of Jack's temper?
3. What does Danny tell Jack and Wendy once he has gained control of himself?
4. What happens to terrify Danny as he contemplates opening the door to Room 217?
5. Describe what Halloran says is the "shinin' on," after Danny confides in him about the nightmares he has concerning the Overlook.
6. Describe the Overlook's cook, Halloran.
7. Why does Mr. Ullman hire Jack to be the winter caretaker at the Overlook hotel?
8. What incident occurs that causes Jack to dislike the Overlook Hotel?
9. What event causes Al Shockley and Jack to swear off drinking?
10. What happens to Danny when he concentrates, thinking very hard?
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)