|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What entire bottle of tablets did Jack chew to stop a hangover?
(c) Liver pills
2. Watson explains every hotel has its scandals. What is Overlook's?
(a) Illegal workers often hide here for weeks
(b) Non-payment of taxes for years
(c) Criminals often operate here for months because of the seclusion
(d) The rich woman overdoses when the 17 year old
3. What would Jack do to the topiary animals if he owned the Overlook?
(a) Trim them regularly
(b) Hire a professional landscaper to take care of them
(c) Cut them all down
(d) Fertilize the soil around them
4. What is Danny doing before bedtime that bothers Wendy?
(a) Reading aloud with a fierce intensity
(b) Mumbling as if conversing with an unseen person
(c) Scattering his books on the floor
(d) Staring blankly out the bedroom window
5. Why did Danny lock the bathroom door?
(a) He is afraid of the wasps
(b) He hears voices coming that way
(c) To keep Wendy out
(d) Tony tells him to
Short Answer Questions
1. What occurs at the scenic turnout?
2. How does Jack respond to Wendy's suggestion Danny get a check-up?
3. How does Jack's father kill his mother?
4. Why doesn't Danny want to go to his grandmother's?
5. What does Wendy assume happened to Danny's neck?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the message Jack receives from his dead father on the two-way radio?
2. What incident occurs at the school Jack formerly taught that gives the reader an idea of Jack's temper?
3. What scares Jack as he turns to look at the topiary from the playground?
4. Why does Jack compare his life to "The Great Wasp Nest of Life"?
5. What is Jack's gut reaction once Mr. Ullman leaves the Overlook and the Torrance family is left alone?
6. What happens to Danny when he concentrates, thinking very hard?
7. What event causes Al Shockley and Jack to swear off drinking?
8. Describe what Halloran says is the "shinin' on," after Danny confides in him about the nightmares he has concerning the Overlook.
9. What does Wendy assume happened to Danny when she sees the red welts around his neck and how does she react?
10. What incident occurs that causes Jack to dislike the Overlook Hotel?
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)