|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens in the hallway that nearly freezes Danny with terror?
(a) Several guest room doors quickly open and slam shut
(b) He hears band music from earlier decades
(c) Hundreds of wasps are at the window
(d) The fire hose nozzle plus a short length fall to the carpet
2. What does Jack see in the bathroom of Room 217 the second time he looks?
(a) A woman's shape in the tub
(b) Nothing again
(c) Hallorann's body
(d) A bathtub of blood
3. What is Jack thinking as he gazes at the wasp nest?
(a) One of the smallest he has ever seen
(b) The bug bomb might not be effective
(c) Danny will be in danger while playing on the lawn
(d) Symbolic of his life's experiences
4. What would Jack do to the topiary animals if he owned the Overlook?
(a) Trim them regularly
(b) Fertilize the soil around them
(c) Hire a professional landscaper to take care of them
(d) Cut them all down
5. How does Jack respond to Wendy's suggestion Danny get a check-up?
(a) Rambles on about his childhood at Danny's age.
(b) A verbal rant at Wendy
(c) Says all three of them should get a check-up
(d) Wordlessly stalks away
6. What phrase by Ullman echoed in Jack's mind?
(a) The winter silence is soothing
(b) You will not regret it
(c) You lost your temper
(d) Winter is wonderful at Overlook
7. What happens as Danny stands at the bedroom window at 2 AM?
(a) He sees a deserted street
(b) He sees Jack passed out on the sidewalk.
(c) He hears only soft breezes.
(d) He sees vandals once again puncture VW tires
8. What does Wendy do when she gets to Danny?
(a) She yells at Danny for scaring her
(b) She faints at the sight of Danny's neck
(c) She picks him up and runs to the bedroom
(d) She tells Jack to carry Danny to the bedroom
9. What is the background of some guests of the Overlook that Jack reads in an article he finds in the basement?
(a) They were the families of heroes who served in the war
(b) They were film stars and entertainers
(c) They were involved in murder, drug trafficking, tax evasion, prostitution, bootlegging and illegal gambling
(d) They were upstanding political figures
10. What happens when Jack covers his eyes and then reopens them?
(a) Snow has begun to fall
(b) The hedge animals are back in position
(c) Danny falls in the snow
(d) The hedge lion moves closer
11. Why doesn't Danny want to go to his grandmother's?
(a) His grandmother's house smells
(b) He doesn't like his grandmother's cooking
(c) His grandmother has mean cats
(d) He knows about the hatred between Wendy and her mother
12. Why is Watson lingering in the lobby after staff has departed?
(a) To collect his pay from Ullman
(b) He has misplaced his luggage
(c) To give Ullman his keys
(d) To remind Jack to closely monitor the furnace and boiler
13. What does Wendy tell Danny about his friend, Tony?
(a) It's okay for Danny to have an imaginary friend
(b) Danny is too old for an imaginary friend
(c) She believes in him
(d) She doesn't think he is real
14. As Danny runs to the door, what does he remember Hallorann told him?
(a) Nothing in the hotel can harm him
(b) Close his eyes and everything will go away
(c) Think about something else
(d) Everything in the hotel is real
15. What thought arises when Jack ends the telephone call to Ullman?
(a) He needs to find Wendy and Danny and return to Overlook
(b) Al Shockley is not a reliable friend
(c) You lost your temper again, Jack
(d) The winter will not be so bad
Short Answer Questions
1. What occurs at the scenic turnout?
2. Where does Wendy find Jack after she hears him screaming?
3. Where does Danny go after he opens the door to Room 217?
4. Why did Danny lock the bathroom door?
5. How does Ullman describe the Florida place?
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)