|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jack think about when he takes a break from trimming the topiary animals and goes to the playground?
(a) He thinks about Danny's friend, Tony
(b) He thinks about Wendy's mother
(c) He thinks about his life with his alcoholic father
(d) He thinks about his life in Vermont
2. What transpires as Wendy is about to mention divorce?
(a) Jack loses his temper
(b) She is panicky and faints
(c) Jack asks for 1 week postponement
(d) Danny falls and breaks his arm
3. How does Danny feel while he sits with his parents in the Overlook lobby?
(a) Too tired for people watching
4. As Jack is ready to leave Room 217, what happens?
(a) He sees a hedge lion in the doorway
(b) He smells lavender soap and hears a metallic sound from the bathroom
(c) He sees blood on the floor
(d) The door locks before he can get out
5. What does Wendy do when she gets to Danny?
(a) She picks him up and runs to the bedroom
(b) She faints at the sight of Danny's neck
(c) She tells Jack to carry Danny to the bedroom
(d) She yells at Danny for scaring her
6. What happens when Jack covers his eyes and then reopens them?
(a) Danny falls in the snow
(b) The hedge lion moves closer
(c) Snow has begun to fall
(d) The hedge animals are back in position
7. What does Danny say happened to him in Room 217?
(a) He says that nothing happened
(b) He says that the shower curtain fell on him
(c) He says he fell on the bathroom floor
(d) He says that he was attacked by a dead woman
8. How does Jack's father kill his mother?
(a) He poisons her
(b) He suffocates her
(c) He hits her full force in the face and the back of the head, and cracking open her skull
(d) He pushes her down the stairs
9. What indicates to Wendy that all is not right with Danny?
(a) She thinks he has lost weight
(b) He is tired all the time
(c) He chatters non-stop
(d) Bad dreams every night
10. Why is Jack mocking George?
(a) Because George is a wimp
(b) Because George's father is wealthy
(c) Because George is dense
(d) Because George stutters
11. Where does Danny go after he opens the door to Room 217?
(a) To the mini bar
(b) To the mirror
(c) Into the bathroom
(d) To the bed
12. Why is the road from town to Overlook not plowed?
(a) Danger of falling rock
(b) Hotel is closed
(c) No residences on that road
(d) The road is too steep
13. Why does Dr. Edmonds theorize Danny does not need Tony anymore?
(a) Danny is getting older
(b) Tony has said too many things that did not come true
(c) Danny fears being separated from Jack
(d) Jack and Wendy get along now, so Tony has outlived his usefulness
14. Where do Wendy and Jack find Danny?
(a) In the basement
(b) At the top of the stairs with a bruised neck
(c) In the topiary
(d) In the equipment shed
15. What does Wendy assume happened to Danny's neck?
(a) Danny did it with his jump rope
(b) Jack did it
(c) Danny fell on the stairs
(d) Danny did it
Short Answer Questions
1. When Danny shines what is the name of the imaginary person?
2. What does Jack notice when he hears a noise behind him in the topiary?
3. What does Jack find when he first pulls back the shower curtain in Room 217?
4. What happens as Danny tests his shining on Hallorann?
5. Where do both Danny and Wendy agree to spend the winter?
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)