|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jack tell Ullman he intends to do?
(a) Write a book about Overlook
(b) Shut down the heat on the second and third floors
(c) Call Al Shockley
(d) Discard the paper clutter in the basement
2. What does Jack find when he first pulls back the shower curtain in Room 217?
(a) A hedge lion
(c) The dead woman
3. What does Wendy sense from the moment Danny is born?
(a) She will not have another child
(b) The family should re-locate to Massachusetts
(c) Danny is somehow unusual
(d) She will have many more children
4. What does Wendy tell Danny about his friend, Tony?
(a) Danny is too old for an imaginary friend
(b) She believes in him
(c) She doesn't think he is real
(d) It's okay for Danny to have an imaginary friend
5. What gruesome literary work comes to mind as Danny stands at room 217?
(a) The Bloody Chamber
(b) How the Devil Married Three Sisters
(c) Fitcher's Bird
6. How does Danny feel while he sits with his parents in the Overlook lobby?
(a) Too tired for people watching
7. Why is Jack mocking George?
(a) Because George is a wimp
(b) Because George is dense
(c) Because George stutters
(d) Because George's father is wealthy
8. How does Ullman describe the Florida place?
(a) A dump
(b) Better furnished than Overlook
(c) A smaller version of Overlook
(d) Will be closed forever next year
9. How does Jack respond to Wendy's suggestion Danny get a check-up?
(a) Says all three of them should get a check-up
(b) Wordlessly stalks away
(c) A verbal rant at Wendy
(d) Rambles on about his childhood at Danny's age.
10. How much liquor remains in the Colorado Lounge?
(a) Enough to last at least half the winter months
(c) Only 3 bottles
(d) Enough to last until next summer
11. What is Wendy thinking about the 1926 Overlook elevator?
(a) It is quaint
(b) It is too small
(c) It is well maintained
(d) It is unsafe
12. What does Jack say he intentionally did to Danny?
(a) Told him scary stories
(b) Suggested he was a strange, loser child
(c) Left him alone in the car for long periods
(d) Broke his arm
13. Why doesn't Danny want to go to his grandmother's?
(a) His grandmother's house smells
(b) He doesn't like his grandmother's cooking
(c) His grandmother has mean cats
(d) He knows about the hatred between Wendy and her mother
14. How does Jack feel about Danny going into Room 217?
(a) He feels Danny should be punished no matter how scared he is
(b) He feels it is okay if Danny went into the room
(c) Angry that Danny stole the key to the room
(d) He doesn't blame Danny for going into the room
15. What thought arises when Jack ends the telephone call to Ullman?
(a) Al Shockley is not a reliable friend
(b) He needs to find Wendy and Danny and return to Overlook
(c) The winter will not be so bad
(d) You lost your temper again, Jack
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are Jack and Wendy while the dead woman is strangling Danny?
2. What thought is Hallorann shining to Danny?
3. What random thought comes to Jack when reading about the costume ball?
4. Why is Jack ranting before Danny provides the answer?
5. As Danny lies awake, what does he imagine about flesh eating plants?
This section contains 611 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)