|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the purpose of the thermostats at Overlook?
(a) Keep the dust to a minimum
(b) Are just for show, not connected
(c) Are all set at the same temperature
(d) Control the guest rooms within 2 degrees of setting
2. What does Jack notice when he hears a noise behind him in the topiary?
(a) The hedge animals are blocking his path
(b) Wendy is waving to him
(c) A rabbit jumps out of the bushes
(d) Danny is playing in the snow
3. Why is Jack feeling sympathy for Ullman as he says his goodbyes?
(a) The hotel season is over
(b) Ullman has no one to travel with him
(c) Ullman's attire is threadbare and shabby
(d) Ullman appears exhausted
4. Where does Danny go after he opens the door to Room 217?
(a) To the mini bar
(b) Into the bathroom
(c) To the mirror
(d) To the bed
5. Why doesn't Danny want to go to his grandmother's?
(a) He knows about the hatred between Wendy and her mother
(b) He doesn't like his grandmother's cooking
(c) His grandmother has mean cats
(d) His grandmother's house smells
6. What is roque?
(a) Mexican cheese
(b) French restaurant in the Overlook lobby
(c) French breakfast pastry
(d) A game similar to croquet
7. Where does Wendy find Jack after she hears him screaming?
(a) In Ullman's office with a broken CB radio
(b) In the basement with the scrapbook in his lap
(c) In the pantry, cowering in the corner
(d) At his typewriter
8. What does Jack do when he goes to the Colorado Lounge?
(a) He thinks about how much he loves Wendy
(b) He sits down and cries
(c) He sits on a barstool talking to his father
(d) He starts a conversation with Lloyd, the bartender
9. What does Dr. Edmonds say Danny possesses?
(a) Scattered illusions
(b) Extraordinary human perception
(c) Emotional instability
(d) Very good memory
10. How does Al Shockley react to Jack's idea about writing a historical book about the Overlook?
(a) He wants to be mentioned in the book
(b) He is critical of the idea, telling Jack to forget about it
(c) He wants Jack to begin the book right away
(d) He loves the idea
11. Why is Mrs. Brent causing a fuss?
(a) She thinks the bill is overcharged
(b) Her second husband has checked out without her
(c) She is not allowed to pay with her American Express card
(d) The hotel cannot account for some of her jewelry
12. How much liquor remains in the Colorado Lounge?
(a) Enough to last until next summer
(b) Only 3 bottles
(c) Enough to last at least half the winter months
13. What does Jack think about when he takes a break from trimming the topiary animals and goes to the playground?
(a) He thinks about Wendy's mother
(b) He thinks about his life in Vermont
(c) He thinks about his life with his alcoholic father
(d) He thinks about Danny's friend, Tony
14. What does Danny tell his mother when she asks him to ask Tony if they should leave the hotel?
(a) He tells her he doesn't like to talk to Tony
(b) He says that he can't make Tony come
(c) He says that Tony can't come anymore
(d) He says that he is mad at Tony
15. As Danny runs to the door, what does he remember Hallorann told him?
(a) Everything in the hotel is real
(b) Nothing in the hotel can harm him
(c) Close his eyes and everything will go away
(d) Think about something else
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Halloran's assurance to Danny?
2. Why does Dr. Edmonds theorize Danny does not need Tony anymore?
3. What gruesome literary work comes to mind as Danny stands at room 217?
4. What is Wendy thinking about the 1926 Overlook elevator?
5. When Danny breaks free from Wendy's arms, what does he scream?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)