|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the time period when the Overlook is built?
(a) During the Great Depression
(b) After the Civil War, 1868 to 1870
(c) Between 1907 to 1909
(d) After World War II, 1946 to 1948
2. What gruesome literary work comes to mind as Danny stands at room 217?
(a) Fitcher's Bird
(b) The Bloody Chamber
(c) How the Devil Married Three Sisters
3. Why is Jack ranting before Danny provides the answer?
(a) He cannot locate the trunk labeled
(b) Wendy's expensive wristwatch is missing
(c) The VW fuel pump has failed
(d) The movers broke at least 6 things
4. What indicates to Wendy that all is not right with Danny?
(a) Bad dreams every night
(b) He chatters non-stop
(c) He is tired all the time
(d) She thinks he has lost weight
5. What is the outcome of Jack's attack on George Hatfield?
(a) Jack is fired, George is expelled from school
(b) Jack remains on the faculty 2 more years, George switches teachers
(c) George offers the use of his car for the move to the Overlook
(d) George buys 4 new tires for the VW
6. What does Tony do as he stands at the bus stop down the block?
(a) Signals Danny to join him
(b) He tells Danny not to go
(c) Grins and slowly walks toward Danny
(d) Insanely laughs in to the darkness
7. Why doesn't Danny want to go to his grandmother's?
(a) He knows about the hatred between Wendy and her mother
(b) His grandmother's house smells
(c) His grandmother has mean cats
(d) He doesn't like his grandmother's cooking
8. When Danny breaks free from Wendy's arms, what does he scream?
(a) Lloyd did it!
(b) It was her!
(c) Daddy did it!
(d) Mr. Grady did it!
9. What does Jack dream his father tells him through the radio?
(a) To kill Danny
(b) To take Danny off the mountain
(c) To kill himself
(d) To get out of the Overlook
10. What does Wendy think as she, Danny, and Jack watch the snow fall?
(a) If it will ever be spring
(b) What will become of them?
(c) If she can save her marriage
(d) If Danny will have to go to the doctor
11. How does Jack respond to Wendy's suggestion Danny get a check-up?
(a) Rambles on about his childhood at Danny's age.
(b) Wordlessly stalks away
(c) A verbal rant at Wendy
(d) Says all three of them should get a check-up
12. What would Jack do to the topiary animals if he owned the Overlook?
(a) Fertilize the soil around them
(b) Hire a professional landscaper to take care of them
(c) Cut them all down
(d) Trim them regularly
13. What happens as Danny tests his shining on Hallorann?
(b) Hallorann passes out
(c) Hallorann winces, jerks backward and bites his lip
(d) Danny passes out
14. What happens as Danny stands at the bedroom window at 2 AM?
(a) He hears only soft breezes.
(b) He sees vandals once again puncture VW tires
(c) He sees Jack passed out on the sidewalk.
(d) He sees a deserted street
15. What is student George Hatfield doing when Jack attacks him?
(a) Hurting Danny's arm
(b) Fondling Wendy
(c) Puncturing Jack's VW tires
(d) Cheating during the debate team activity
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Jack's conclusion as the reason he called Ullman?
2. How much liquor remains in the Colorado Lounge?
3. What 3 words does Danny say as Jack is shaking him?
4. What is Wendy resigned to accept?
5. What does Hallorann always smell before he shines?
This section contains 617 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)