|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Jack feeling sympathy for Ullman as he says his goodbyes?
(a) Ullman's attire is threadbare and shabby
(b) The hotel season is over
(c) Ullman has no one to travel with him
(d) Ullman appears exhausted
2. What does Jack think about when he takes a break from trimming the topiary animals and goes to the playground?
(a) He thinks about Wendy's mother
(b) He thinks about his life in Vermont
(c) He thinks about Danny's friend, Tony
(d) He thinks about his life with his alcoholic father
3. What does Jack find when he first pulls back the shower curtain in Room 217?
(a) A hedge lion
(c) The dead woman
4. What happens when Jack covers his eyes and then reopens them?
(a) The hedge lion moves closer
(b) Danny falls in the snow
(c) The hedge animals are back in position
(d) Snow has begun to fall
5. What gruesome literary work comes to mind as Danny stands at room 217?
(a) How the Devil Married Three Sisters
(b) Fitcher's Bird
(d) The Bloody Chamber
6. Why is Mrs. Brent causing a fuss?
(a) The hotel cannot account for some of her jewelry
(b) She is not allowed to pay with her American Express card
(c) Her second husband has checked out without her
(d) She thinks the bill is overcharged
7. As he ascends the basement stairs, what words of Watson does he recall?
(a) Do not poke around in the basement
(b) The guest lists hide many secrets
(c) Every big hotel has got a ghost
(d) This is one of the world's greatest hotels
8. What is Wendy thinking about the 1926 Overlook elevator?
(a) It is well maintained
(b) It is unsafe
(c) It is quaint
(d) It is too small
9. What does Danny see in the bathroom?
(a) Ullman's head
(b) An empty wasp's nest
(d) A dead bloated female corpse grinning up at him with glassy dead eyes
10. What is the time period when the Overlook is built?
(a) After World War II, 1946 to 1948
(b) Between 1907 to 1909
(c) After the Civil War, 1868 to 1870
(d) During the Great Depression
11. When Danny shines what is the name of the imaginary person?
12. What does Danny tell his mother when she asks him to ask Tony if they should leave the hotel?
(a) He tells her he doesn't like to talk to Tony
(b) He says that he can't make Tony come
(c) He says that he is mad at Tony
(d) He says that Tony can't come anymore
13. What thought arises when Jack ends the telephone call to Ullman?
(a) You lost your temper again, Jack
(b) He needs to find Wendy and Danny and return to Overlook
(c) Al Shockley is not a reliable friend
(d) The winter will not be so bad
14. As Jack is ready to leave Room 217, what happens?
(a) He sees a hedge lion in the doorway
(b) He sees blood on the floor
(c) He smells lavender soap and hears a metallic sound from the bathroom
(d) The door locks before he can get out
15. What is the background of some guests of the Overlook that Jack reads in an article he finds in the basement?
(a) They were involved in murder, drug trafficking, tax evasion, prostitution, bootlegging and illegal gambling
(b) They were the families of heroes who served in the war
(c) They were upstanding political figures
(d) They were film stars and entertainers
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Danny go after he opens the door to Room 217?
2. Where does Wendy find Jack after she hears him screaming?
3. What does Wendy assume happened to Danny's neck?
4. What thought is Hallorann shining to Danny?
5. How many guest rooms in the Overlook?
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)