|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the outcome of Jack's attack on George Hatfield?
(a) George buys 4 new tires for the VW
(b) Jack remains on the faculty 2 more years, George switches teachers
(c) Jack is fired, George is expelled from school
(d) George offers the use of his car for the move to the Overlook
2. What does Jack say he intentionally did to Danny?
(a) Suggested he was a strange, loser child
(b) Left him alone in the car for long periods
(c) Told him scary stories
(d) Broke his arm
3. What is it that scares Danny before his shine ends at the curb?
(a) Tom the drunk
(b) The word divorce
(c) Redrum redrum redrum written on a bathroom mirror
(d) The VW huffing up the street
4. What does Jack think about when he takes a break from trimming the topiary animals and goes to the playground?
(a) He thinks about Danny's friend, Tony
(b) He thinks about Wendy's mother
(c) He thinks about his life with his alcoholic father
(d) He thinks about his life in Vermont
5. What does Tony do as he stands at the bus stop down the block?
(a) Signals Danny to join him
(b) Grins and slowly walks toward Danny
(c) Insanely laughs in to the darkness
(d) He tells Danny not to go
6. What random thought comes to Jack when reading about the costume ball?
(a) Wendy's mother should wear a mask
(b) He wants to return to Stovington
(c) The red death held sway over all
(d) Al Shockley is a true friend
7. As Danny lies awake, what does he imagine about flesh eating plants?
(a) They surround Overlook
(b) They drag Jack away
(c) They surround the VW
(d) They drag him to darkness
8. Why is Jack mocking George?
(a) Because George is a wimp
(b) Because George is dense
(c) Because George stutters
(d) Because George's father is wealthy
9. What is the purpose of the thermostats at Overlook?
(a) Control the guest rooms within 2 degrees of setting
(b) Keep the dust to a minimum
(c) Are all set at the same temperature
(d) Are just for show, not connected
10. What happens in the hallway that nearly freezes Danny with terror?
(a) Hundreds of wasps are at the window
(b) Several guest room doors quickly open and slam shut
(c) The fire hose nozzle plus a short length fall to the carpet
(d) He hears band music from earlier decades
11. What does Wendy tell Danny about his friend, Tony?
(a) She doesn't think he is real
(b) Danny is too old for an imaginary friend
(c) It's okay for Danny to have an imaginary friend
(d) She believes in him
12. As he ascends the basement stairs, what words of Watson does he recall?
(a) The guest lists hide many secrets
(b) This is one of the world's greatest hotels
(c) Every big hotel has got a ghost
(d) Do not poke around in the basement
13. As Danny runs to the door, what does he remember Hallorann told him?
(a) Think about something else
(b) Close his eyes and everything will go away
(c) Everything in the hotel is real
(d) Nothing in the hotel can harm him
14. What is Danny doing before bedtime that bothers Wendy?
(a) Scattering his books on the floor
(b) Staring blankly out the bedroom window
(c) Mumbling as if conversing with an unseen person
(d) Reading aloud with a fierce intensity
15. What is Jack thinking as he gazes at the wasp nest?
(a) One of the smallest he has ever seen
(b) Danny will be in danger while playing on the lawn
(c) The bug bomb might not be effective
(d) Symbolic of his life's experiences
Short Answer Questions
1. How many guest rooms in the Overlook?
2. How does Jack respond to Wendy's suggestion Danny get a check-up?
3. What is the "bad thing" the maid is showing Hallorann?
4. What gruesome literary work comes to mind as Danny stands at room 217?
5. What phrase by Ullman echoed in Jack's mind?
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)