|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jack tell Ullman he intends to do?
(a) Shut down the heat on the second and third floors
(b) Write a book about Overlook
(c) Call Al Shockley
(d) Discard the paper clutter in the basement
2. Watson explains every hotel has its scandals. What is Overlook's?
(a) Illegal workers often hide here for weeks
(b) Criminals often operate here for months because of the seclusion
(c) Non-payment of taxes for years
(d) The rich woman overdoses when the 17 year old
3. What would Jack do to the topiary animals if he owned the Overlook?
(a) Trim them regularly
(b) Hire a professional landscaper to take care of them
(c) Fertilize the soil around them
(d) Cut them all down
4. What happens as Danny tests his shining on Hallorann?
(a) Danny passes out
(b) Hallorann passes out
(c) Hallorann winces, jerks backward and bites his lip
5. Why is Watson lingering in the lobby after staff has departed?
(a) He has misplaced his luggage
(b) To remind Jack to closely monitor the furnace and boiler
(c) To give Ullman his keys
(d) To collect his pay from Ullman
6. Why is Jack feeling sympathy for Ullman as he says his goodbyes?
(a) Ullman has no one to travel with him
(b) Ullman appears exhausted
(c) Ullman's attire is threadbare and shabby
(d) The hotel season is over
7. What indicates to Wendy that all is not right with Danny?
(a) Bad dreams every night
(b) She thinks he has lost weight
(c) He is tired all the time
(d) He chatters non-stop
8. What phrase by Ullman echoed in Jack's mind?
(a) You will not regret it
(b) You lost your temper
(c) Winter is wonderful at Overlook
(d) The winter silence is soothing
9. Where do both Danny and Wendy agree to spend the winter?
(a) At her mother's
(b) In Sidewinder
(c) In Vermont
(d) At the Overlook
10. What is Jack thinking as he gazes at the wasp nest?
(a) Symbolic of his life's experiences
(b) One of the smallest he has ever seen
(c) Danny will be in danger while playing on the lawn
(d) The bug bomb might not be effective
11. What does Jack do when he goes to the Colorado Lounge?
(a) He sits on a barstool talking to his father
(b) He sits down and cries
(c) He thinks about how much he loves Wendy
(d) He starts a conversation with Lloyd, the bartender
12. What thought is Hallorann shining to Danny?
(a) Pretend illness and get out of Overlook today
(b) Your father hates you
(c) Sure you don't want to go to Florida doc?
(d) Your family is in danger at Overlook
13. What is the surprise item for Danny when he returns from the store?
(a) A wasp nest
(b) Some new books
(c) 3 dead wasps
(d) Pictures of him with Hallorann
14. What old behaviors are Jack doing that has Wendy worried?
(a) Contradicting, dancing, biting his nails
(b) Anger, profanity, rage, rubbing his lips, silence
(c) Picking his eyebrows, biting his nails, spitting
(d) Laughing, passing out, biting his lip
15. What does Dr. Edmonds say Danny possesses?
(a) Very good memory
(b) Emotional instability
(c) Extraordinary human perception
(d) Scattered illusions
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ullman describe the Florida place?
2. How does Jack's father kill his mother?
3. What does Wendy think as she, Danny, and Jack watch the snow fall?
4. What does Wendy tell Danny about his friend, Tony?
5. What is the purpose of the thermostats at Overlook?
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)