|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the outcome of Jack's attack on George Hatfield?
(a) Jack is fired, George is expelled from school
(b) George buys 4 new tires for the VW
(c) George offers the use of his car for the move to the Overlook
(d) Jack remains on the faculty 2 more years, George switches teachers
2. Why is Jack ranting before Danny provides the answer?
(a) The VW fuel pump has failed
(b) Wendy's expensive wristwatch is missing
(c) He cannot locate the trunk labeled
(d) The movers broke at least 6 things
3. What is Wendy thinking about the 1926 Overlook elevator?
(a) It is well maintained
(b) It is too small
(c) It is quaint
(d) It is unsafe
4. How does Jack feel about Danny going into Room 217?
(a) He doesn't blame Danny for going into the room
(b) Angry that Danny stole the key to the room
(c) He feels Danny should be punished no matter how scared he is
(d) He feels it is okay if Danny went into the room
5. What is Halloran's assurance to Danny?
(a) There are only a few storms each winter
(b) Supplies will last all winter
(c) There is nothing at Overlook that can hurt him
(d) He will have lots to do in the winter
6. What entire bottle of tablets did Jack chew to stop a hangover?
(b) Liver pills
7. What does Wendy sense from the moment Danny is born?
(a) The family should re-locate to Massachusetts
(b) Danny is somehow unusual
(c) She will have many more children
(d) She will not have another child
8. Why is Mrs. Brent causing a fuss?
(a) She thinks the bill is overcharged
(b) The hotel cannot account for some of her jewelry
(c) She is not allowed to pay with her American Express card
(d) Her second husband has checked out without her
9. Why does Dr. Edmonds theorize Danny does not need Tony anymore?
(a) Danny is getting older
(b) Danny fears being separated from Jack
(c) Tony has said too many things that did not come true
(d) Jack and Wendy get along now, so Tony has outlived his usefulness
10. What 3 words does Danny say as Jack is shaking him?
(a) Let Hallorann speak
(b) Call the sheriff
(c) Roque, Stroke, REDRUM
(d) Stop shaking me
11. How does Jack's father kill his mother?
(a) He hits her full force in the face and the back of the head, and cracking open her skull
(b) He suffocates her
(c) He pushes her down the stairs
(d) He poisons her
12. Where does Danny go after he opens the door to Room 217?
(a) To the mirror
(b) To the bed
(c) To the mini bar
(d) Into the bathroom
13. What is the "bad thing" the maid is showing Hallorann?
(a) The kitchen
(b) Room 217
(c) The lobby
(d) The pool
14. What does Jack do when he goes to the Colorado Lounge?
(a) He thinks about how much he loves Wendy
(b) He starts a conversation with Lloyd, the bartender
(c) He sits on a barstool talking to his father
(d) He sits down and cries
15. What is Danny doing before bedtime that bothers Wendy?
(a) Scattering his books on the floor
(b) Mumbling as if conversing with an unseen person
(c) Staring blankly out the bedroom window
(d) Reading aloud with a fierce intensity
Short Answer Questions
1. How many guest rooms in the Overlook?
2. Why did Danny lock the bathroom door?
3. What is Wendy resigned to accept?
4. How does Al Shockley react to Jack's idea about writing a historical book about the Overlook?
5. Why is Stuart Ullman hiring Jack to be caretaker of the Overlook?
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)