|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Jack's father treat him when he was drunk?
(a) Ignored him
(b) Beat him
(c) Hugged him
(d) Screamed at him
2. Why is Danny sitting on the curb sulking?
(a) His mother has just screamed and scolded him
(b) His dog is missing for over 1 hour
(c) He awaits his father to fix his glider
(d) Tom, the drunk man on the third floor scares him
3. How does Danny feel while he sits with his parents in the Overlook lobby?
(a) Too tired for people watching
4. How does Al Shockley react to Jack's idea about writing a historical book about the Overlook?
(a) He is critical of the idea, telling Jack to forget about it
(b) He wants to be mentioned in the book
(c) He wants Jack to begin the book right away
(d) He loves the idea
5. Where does Wendy find Jack after she hears him screaming?
(a) In the basement with the scrapbook in his lap
(b) In Ullman's office with a broken CB radio
(c) In the pantry, cowering in the corner
(d) At his typewriter
6. How many guest rooms in the Overlook?
7. Who forces reconciliation between Wendy and her mother?
(c) Al Shockley
(d) Her therapist
8. Why is Stuart Ullman hiring Jack to be caretaker of the Overlook?
(a) He likes Jack's attitude
(b) Because of the influence of Albert Shockley
(c) He wants to give Jack a chance
(d) He knows Jack needs the money
9. What 3 words does Danny say as Jack is shaking him?
(a) Call the sheriff
(b) Let Hallorann speak
(c) Stop shaking me
(d) Roque, Stroke, REDRUM
10. What old behaviors are Jack doing that has Wendy worried?
(a) Picking his eyebrows, biting his nails, spitting
(b) Laughing, passing out, biting his lip
(c) Contradicting, dancing, biting his nails
(d) Anger, profanity, rage, rubbing his lips, silence
11. What is Jack thinking as he gazes at the wasp nest?
(a) The bug bomb might not be effective
(b) One of the smallest he has ever seen
(c) Danny will be in danger while playing on the lawn
(d) Symbolic of his life's experiences
12. Why does Dr. Edmonds theorize Danny does not need Tony anymore?
(a) Danny fears being separated from Jack
(b) Jack and Wendy get along now, so Tony has outlived his usefulness
(c) Tony has said too many things that did not come true
(d) Danny is getting older
13. What phrase by Ullman echoed in Jack's mind?
(a) You will not regret it
(b) Winter is wonderful at Overlook
(c) You lost your temper
(d) The winter silence is soothing
14. Why is Mrs. Brent causing a fuss?
(a) The hotel cannot account for some of her jewelry
(b) Her second husband has checked out without her
(c) She thinks the bill is overcharged
(d) She is not allowed to pay with her American Express card
15. What does Jack say he intentionally did to Danny?
(a) Told him scary stories
(b) Left him alone in the car for long periods
(c) Suggested he was a strange, loser child
(d) Broke his arm
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jack see in the bathroom of Room 217 the second time he looks?
2. How much liquor remains in the Colorado Lounge?
3. What is the surprise item for Danny when he returns from the store?
4. Where do both Danny and Wendy agree to spend the winter?
5. What is Halloran's assurance to Danny?
This section contains 605 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)