|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Al Shockley react to Jack's idea about writing a historical book about the Overlook?
(a) He loves the idea
(b) He wants to be mentioned in the book
(c) He is critical of the idea, telling Jack to forget about it
(d) He wants Jack to begin the book right away
2. What does Jack think about when he takes a break from trimming the topiary animals and goes to the playground?
(a) He thinks about his life in Vermont
(b) He thinks about his life with his alcoholic father
(c) He thinks about Wendy's mother
(d) He thinks about Danny's friend, Tony
3. What is the "bad thing" the maid is showing Hallorann?
(a) Room 217
(b) The kitchen
(c) The pool
(d) The lobby
4. Where does Wendy find Jack after she hears him screaming?
(a) At his typewriter
(b) In the basement with the scrapbook in his lap
(c) In the pantry, cowering in the corner
(d) In Ullman's office with a broken CB radio
5. What does Dr. Edmonds say Danny possesses?
(a) Very good memory
(b) Extraordinary human perception
(c) Scattered illusions
(d) Emotional instability
6. What is the surprise item for Danny when he returns from the store?
(a) Some new books
(b) 3 dead wasps
(c) Pictures of him with Hallorann
(d) A wasp nest
7. What happens as Danny tests his shining on Hallorann?
(a) Danny passes out
(b) Hallorann winces, jerks backward and bites his lip
(d) Hallorann passes out
8. What does Jack tell Ullman he intends to do?
(a) Shut down the heat on the second and third floors
(b) Call Al Shockley
(c) Write a book about Overlook
(d) Discard the paper clutter in the basement
9. How does Danny feel while he sits with his parents in the Overlook lobby?
(c) Too tired for people watching
10. What is Halloran's assurance to Danny?
(a) There are only a few storms each winter
(b) He will have lots to do in the winter
(c) Supplies will last all winter
(d) There is nothing at Overlook that can hurt him
11. What entire bottle of tablets did Jack chew to stop a hangover?
(a) Liver pills
12. What is student George Hatfield doing when Jack attacks him?
(a) Puncturing Jack's VW tires
(b) Hurting Danny's arm
(c) Fondling Wendy
(d) Cheating during the debate team activity
13. What is the important responsibility of the caretaker that Ullman reminds Jack of?
(a) Keep the pantry stocked
(b) Repair the roof
(c) Be sure to check the boiler
(d) Maintain the playground
14. Why is Stuart Ullman hiring Jack to be caretaker of the Overlook?
(a) He wants to give Jack a chance
(b) He likes Jack's attitude
(c) Because of the influence of Albert Shockley
(d) He knows Jack needs the money
15. What random thought comes to Jack when reading about the costume ball?
(a) The red death held sway over all
(b) Al Shockley is a true friend
(c) Wendy's mother should wear a mask
(d) He wants to return to Stovington
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Danny doing before bedtime that bothers Wendy?
2. As Danny runs to the door, what does he remember Hallorann told him?
3. What is Jack thinking as he gazes at the wasp nest?
4. What is the time period when the Overlook is built?
5. Where do Wendy and Jack find Danny?
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)