|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As Jack is ready to leave Room 217, what happens?
(a) He smells lavender soap and hears a metallic sound from the bathroom
(b) The door locks before he can get out
(c) He sees a hedge lion in the doorway
(d) He sees blood on the floor
2. What entire bottle of tablets did Jack chew to stop a hangover?
(a) Liver pills
3. As he ascends the basement stairs, what words of Watson does he recall?
(a) This is one of the world's greatest hotels
(b) The guest lists hide many secrets
(c) Every big hotel has got a ghost
(d) Do not poke around in the basement
4. What is Wendy thinking about the 1926 Overlook elevator?
(a) It is quaint
(b) It is too small
(c) It is unsafe
(d) It is well maintained
5. What does Wendy think as she, Danny, and Jack watch the snow fall?
(a) If it will ever be spring
(b) What will become of them?
(c) If Danny will have to go to the doctor
(d) If she can save her marriage
6. What 3 words does Danny say as Jack is shaking him?
(a) Stop shaking me
(b) Roque, Stroke, REDRUM
(c) Let Hallorann speak
(d) Call the sheriff
7. Why doesn't Danny want to go to his grandmother's?
(a) His grandmother's house smells
(b) His grandmother has mean cats
(c) He knows about the hatred between Wendy and her mother
(d) He doesn't like his grandmother's cooking
8. Why does Dr. Edmonds theorize Danny does not need Tony anymore?
(a) Danny is getting older
(b) Tony has said too many things that did not come true
(c) Jack and Wendy get along now, so Tony has outlived his usefulness
(d) Danny fears being separated from Jack
9. How does Ullman describe the Florida place?
(a) A smaller version of Overlook
(b) Better furnished than Overlook
(c) Will be closed forever next year
(d) A dump
10. What does Wendy sense from the moment Danny is born?
(a) Danny is somehow unusual
(b) She will not have another child
(c) She will have many more children
(d) The family should re-locate to Massachusetts
11. Why did Danny lock the bathroom door?
(a) Tony tells him to
(b) To keep Wendy out
(c) He is afraid of the wasps
(d) He hears voices coming that way
12. What does Jack notice when he hears a noise behind him in the topiary?
(a) A rabbit jumps out of the bushes
(b) The hedge animals are blocking his path
(c) Danny is playing in the snow
(d) Wendy is waving to him
13. Who forces reconciliation between Wendy and her mother?
(a) Her therapist
(c) Al Shockley
14. What is Danny doing before bedtime that bothers Wendy?
(a) Scattering his books on the floor
(b) Mumbling as if conversing with an unseen person
(c) Staring blankly out the bedroom window
(d) Reading aloud with a fierce intensity
15. What random thought comes to Jack when reading about the costume ball?
(a) He wants to return to Stovington
(b) Al Shockley is a true friend
(c) Wendy's mother should wear a mask
(d) The red death held sway over all
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Jack thinking as he gazes at the wasp nest?
2. How much liquor remains in the Colorado Lounge?
3. Why is Danny sitting on the curb sulking?
4. What does Danny tell his mother when she asks him to ask Tony if they should leave the hotel?
5. Why is Jack mocking George?
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)