|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Wendy thinking about the 1926 Overlook elevator?
(a) It is too small
(b) It is well maintained
(c) It is unsafe
(d) It is quaint
2. What does Wendy assume happened to Danny's neck?
(a) Danny did it with his jump rope
(b) Danny fell on the stairs
(c) Danny did it
(d) Jack did it
3. What thought arises when Jack ends the telephone call to Ullman?
(a) The winter will not be so bad
(b) He needs to find Wendy and Danny and return to Overlook
(c) Al Shockley is not a reliable friend
(d) You lost your temper again, Jack
4. What old behaviors are Jack doing that has Wendy worried?
(a) Laughing, passing out, biting his lip
(b) Contradicting, dancing, biting his nails
(c) Anger, profanity, rage, rubbing his lips, silence
(d) Picking his eyebrows, biting his nails, spitting
5. How does Al Shockley react to Jack's idea about writing a historical book about the Overlook?
(a) He loves the idea
(b) He wants Jack to begin the book right away
(c) He wants to be mentioned in the book
(d) He is critical of the idea, telling Jack to forget about it
6. What gruesome literary work comes to mind as Danny stands at room 217?
(b) Fitcher's Bird
(c) The Bloody Chamber
(d) How the Devil Married Three Sisters
7. What is Danny doing before bedtime that bothers Wendy?
(a) Reading aloud with a fierce intensity
(b) Mumbling as if conversing with an unseen person
(c) Staring blankly out the bedroom window
(d) Scattering his books on the floor
8. Why is Jack ranting before Danny provides the answer?
(a) Wendy's expensive wristwatch is missing
(b) The movers broke at least 6 things
(c) He cannot locate the trunk labeled
(d) The VW fuel pump has failed
9. As Danny runs to the door, what does he remember Hallorann told him?
(a) Think about something else
(b) Nothing in the hotel can harm him
(c) Everything in the hotel is real
(d) Close his eyes and everything will go away
10. What indicates to Wendy that all is not right with Danny?
(a) He chatters non-stop
(b) He is tired all the time
(c) She thinks he has lost weight
(d) Bad dreams every night
11. What is Jack's conclusion as the reason he called Ullman?
(a) To ask if he could stay on after next May
(b) To be fired while there was still time
(c) To generally keep in touch
(d) To report a boiler malfunction
12. What does Danny see in the bathroom?
(a) An empty wasp's nest
(c) A dead bloated female corpse grinning up at him with glassy dead eyes
(d) Ullman's head
13. What is it that scares Danny before his shine ends at the curb?
(a) The VW huffing up the street
(b) Tom the drunk
(c) The word divorce
(d) Redrum redrum redrum written on a bathroom mirror
14. How much liquor remains in the Colorado Lounge?
(a) Enough to last at least half the winter months
(b) Enough to last until next summer
(d) Only 3 bottles
15. What is the "bad thing" the maid is showing Hallorann?
(a) The pool
(b) The kitchen
(c) The lobby
(d) Room 217
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Wendy react when she realizes that Jack really didn't hurt Danny?
2. Why is Jack feeling sympathy for Ullman as he says his goodbyes?
3. Watson explains every hotel has its scandals. What is Overlook's?
4. What does Danny say happened to him in Room 217?
5. What does Danny tell his mother when she asks him to ask Tony if they should leave the hotel?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)