Chapter 1, Job Interview | Chapter 2, Boulder
• Stuart Ullman is interviewing Jack Torrance for the position of winter caretaker at the Overlook hotel in Colorado.
• Ullman admits that he is only hiring him because of the influence of Albert Shockley, a member of the Board of Directors, and a friend of the Torrance family.
• Ullman tells Jack the story of Delbert Grady, the previous caretaker and an alcoholic, who went insane, killing his family and himself.
• Jack assures Ullman that he is no longer drinking, working on a play, planning to teach his son to read, and that he and his family are capable of withstanding the isolation and cold winter months.
• Danny compares the incident with the time Jack broke Danny's arm for spilling his work papers on the floor.
• Danny asks his mother, Wendy, why his father lost his teaching position. Wendy answers that Jack lost his temper...
This section contains 4,380 words
(approx. 15 pages at 300 words per page)