|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Simmerson doing on the hilltop?
2. What does the author say is rich and deep?
3. Who does Sharpe promise Hogan he won't harm?
4. Whose biography did Lady Elizabeth Longford write?
5. What is the problem the Spanish have caused the British in Chapter Seventeen?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Wellesley's opinion of the Spanish?
2. How does Simmerson try to involve everyone in his plan to punish the men?
3. How does the Lieutenant Colonel save the situation that Simmerson has created?
4. How does Hill react to seeing the men in formation?
5. With what problem does Chapter Twenty-five open?
6. What does Sharpe think about Josephina in the Epilogue?
7. How does Sharpe celebrate his capture of the Eagle in Chapter Twenty-five?
8. How does Sharpe almost die in Chapter Twenty-five?
9. How does Sharpe prepare for battle at the beginning of Chapter Seventeen?
10. Summarize the Historical Note section.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is Harper such an important member of Sharpe's regiment? What evidence is there to suggest that Sharpe would never be able to cope without Harper at his side?
Essay Topic 2
What problems does Simmerson buying his rank cause the army in general? How does the army try to safeguard such people?
Essay Topic 3
How do the themes in the novel relate to contemporary society? How important is it for historical books to have some relevance to present day issues?
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)