|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. About what do Harper and Sharpe joke in this section?
2. What have the Spanish decided to do rather than fight?
3. What is Bob Crauford's rank in the army?
4. Who will pick the men to be punished?
5. What is the name of the American historian on whom Sharpe says he relied heavily?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sharpe almost die in Chapter Twenty-five?
2. How does Sharpe kill Berry?
3. Why is Hogan worried about Sharpe in this section?
4. What problems have the Spanish caused the British in this section?
5. Why does Sharpe worry about Josephina's safety in this section?
6. Summarize the Epilogue.
7. What does Chapter Twenty say about Harper and Sharpe's relationship?
8. Why does Sharpe decide to do something daring in this section?
9. How does Sharpe celebrate his capture of the Eagle in Chapter Twenty-five?
10. What is Simmerson's plan in this section?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following aspects of army life and examine how and why it has changed since the time of the novel.
Essay Topic 2
How does the author represent the Spanish troops? Is this representation historically accurate? How do the official Spanish troops compare to the Spanish guerrillas of that time?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the hierachy of the British army during the time of the novel.
1. Why is it so difficult for working class soldiers to rise through the ranks?
2. What resentment does the novel suggest that this hierachy causes?
3. How different do the men react to a working class officer like Sharpe than to an upperclass officer like Simmerson?
This section contains 858 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)