|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Sharpe almost die in this section?
2. What kind of bird does Harper see fly down near the stream?
3. How does General Hill try to raise the morale of the troops?
4. How does Sharpe prevent the French from attacking in Chapter Nineteen?
5. What is the name of Josephina's servant?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Lieutenant Colonel save the situation that Simmerson has created?
2. Summarize the novel.
3. Why does Sharpe disagree so strongly with Simmerson flogging his men?
4. Why doesn't Sharpe want Denny to join them to capture the French Eagle?
5. What is Wellesley's opinion of the Spanish?
6. Summarize the Epilogue.
7. Why is Hogan worried about Sharpe in this section?
8. Why does Sharpe think the battle will be his only chance to capture a French Eagle?
9. Why is Sharpe worried about Gibbons in this section?
10. What is Simmerson's plan in this section?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following aspects of army life and examine how and why it has changed since the time of the novel.
Essay Topic 2
How do the themes in the novel relate to contemporary society? How important is it for historical books to have some relevance to present day issues?
Essay Topic 3
What are Sharpe's views on flogging and punishment in general? How do his views differ from Simmerson's?
This section contains 798 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)