|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sharpe spends his time working on what before the flogging?
2. Why does Sharpe order Denny not to join him?
3. What is Hill's rank in the army?
4. What does Hogan think will happen to Sharpe if he kills Gibbons and Berry?
5. What is the rank of the man who relieves Simmerson of his command?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the French and British do in between fighting?
2. How does Sharpe organize the troops before Hill's arrival?
3. How does Hill react to seeing the men in formation?
4. Why is Hogan worried about Sharpe in this section?
5. How does the Lieutenant Colonel save the situation that Simmerson has created?
6. How does Sharpe prepare for battle at the beginning of Chapter Seventeen?
7. Why does Sharpe disagree so strongly with Simmerson flogging his men?
8. Summarize the novel.
9. How does Simmerson try to involve everyone in his plan to punish the men?
10. Why is Sharpe worried about Gibbons in this section?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the hierachy of the British army during the time of the novel.
1. Why is it so difficult for working class soldiers to rise through the ranks?
2. What resentment does the novel suggest that this hierachy causes?
3. How different do the men react to a working class officer like Sharpe than to an upperclass officer like Simmerson?
Essay Topic 2
Why is Harper such an important member of Sharpe's regiment? What evidence is there to suggest that Sharpe would never be able to cope without Harper at his side?
Essay Topic 3
How do the themes in the novel relate to contemporary society? How important is it for historical books to have some relevance to present day issues?
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)