|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What philosopher did Emerson say was the beginning and end of all philosophy?
2. How does Emerson suggest his readers should acquire art?
3. What direction is character aligned with, according to Emerson?
4. What seldom-acknowledged factor in coloring people's experience is a large part of everyone's life?
5. What view does Emerson take of human love in "Love"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Emerson think of Plato, according to "Plato; or, the Philosopher"? What indicates this?
2. What does Emerson say about private enterprise in "New England Reformers"? Based on "New England Reformers", what political party is parallel to Emerson's views?
3. What is transcendentalism, according to "Nature"?
4. What two problems with communion does Emerson explain at the end of "The Lord's Supper"?
5. According to "Manners", what people are permitted latitude in their manners?
6. According to "Art", from where does all art evolve? What is its purpose?
7. How does Emerson define character? What analogy does he use in his definition?
8. According to "Self-Reliance", what is the relationship between conformity and being a man?
9. What is the benefit of friendship, according to "Friendship"? What is the irony in Emerson's essay?
10. According to "Compensation", how does nature maintain balance? How can one maintain balance on earth?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of nature in Emerson's writings.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role slavery plays in Emerson's writing.
Essay Topic 3
Explain Emerson's relationship with Thomas Carlyle.
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)