|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What view does Emerson take of human love in "Love"?
2. Which of the following is the best and most efficient type of economy for man, according to Emerson?
3. Whom does Emerson especially urge to experience their own heroism?
4. How will society become better, according to Emerson?
5. How is a new experience of reality evidenced, according to "Art"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when we admire someone, according to "Nominalist and Realist"?
2. According to "Compensation", how does nature maintain balance? How can one maintain balance on earth?
3. According to "New England Reformers", what does a reformist attitude challenge?
4. How was Plato's dichotomy of the body and soul relevant to Emerson's time?
5. What is transcendentalism, according to "Nature"?
6. According to "Experience", why do most people not recognize the changes in their lives until they are looking in retrospect?
7. What two major failings of the church does Emerson explain in "An Address"?
8. What three categories of people does prudence manifest itself into, according to "Prudence"?
9. According to "Manners", what people are permitted latitude in their manners?
10. What does Emerson think of Plato, according to "Plato; or, the Philosopher"? What indicates this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Emerson's view of the fine arts, focusing on art and poetry.
Essay Topic 2
Explain Emerson's view of capitalism. How does this fit into his beliefs in transcendentalism?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role slavery plays in Emerson's writing.
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)