|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Emerson call prudence, according to "Prudence"?
2. According to "Self-Reliance", the important thing is to be one's ______.
3. What did Plato emphasize over the body, according to "Plato, or the Philosopher"?
4. What are "apologies for gifts," according to Emerson?
5. According to "An Address", what subverts the truly moral character of man?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the nominalists and realists each have on their sides, according to Emerson?
2. According to "New England Reformers", what does a reformist attitude challenge?
3. What is transcendentalism, according to "Nature"?
4. According to "Self-Reliance", what is the relationship between conformity and being a man?
5. What rights does every individual in a free society have, according to "Politics"?
6. How is each person's vocation discovered, according to "Spiritual Laws"? How is one's potential realized?
7. What are the categories Emerson divides the world into in his essay "Nature"?
8. What does Emerson say about private enterprise in "New England Reformers"? Based on "New England Reformers", what political party is parallel to Emerson's views?
9. According to "The Over-Soul", what is the over-soul? What happens when individuals come together for the purpose of spiritual growth?
10. What are the two qualifications for a good gift, according to "Gifts"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Emerson's relationship with Ezra Ripley, D.D.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the relationship between Emerson and Henry David Thoreau.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the role of solitude and society in the lives of thinkers.
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)