|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Thoreau not have his highly superior pencil produced, despite its acclaim?
(a) He did not think it would catch on.
(b) He did not see the point in repeating himself.
(c) He did not have the time or skills to market it properly.
(d) He did not want to "sell out."
2. What is the "ill-fated, much-injured race," according to "The Emancipation Proclamation"?
3. According to Emerson, what is one negative effect of men isolating themselves?
(a) Making themselves unfit for marriage.
(b) Not being aware of societal changes.
(c) Extreme independence.
(d) Not being aware of current events.
4. Where was Carlyle from?
5. What does "Emancipation in the British West Indies" celebrate?
(a) American Independence Day.
(b) The day Emerson's family freed their slaves.
(c) Emancipation Day.
(d) Christmas Day.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the flower of the English aristocracy, according to Emerson?
2. What word does Emerson use to describe Napoleon's intellect?
3. What does Emerson say threatens culture?
4. What type of man idolized Napoleon, according to Emerson?
5. In what does Emerson say men truly learn?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Abraham Lincoln", what does Emerson say about Abraham Lincoln, particularly in regard to his presidency?
2. What is the purpose of "Ezra Ripley, D.D."? Where was it presented?
3. Describe Emerson's two trips to England, including the year for each, which led to his writing of "English Traits".
4. Explain the essential goodness of wealth, according to "Conduct of Life".
5. Explain the Fugitive Slave Law, which is the subject of "The Fugitive Slave Law". Who was behind it?
6. What significance does "Walden" have to Emerson?
7. What did Emerson say about the South in "The Emancipation Proclamation"? Why?
8. Explain Emancipation Day, which was the inspiration for "Emancipation in the British West Indies".
9. By what kind of poetry was "The Problem" inspired? What kind of rhyme does it use throughout?
10. What example does Emerson give in "Thoreau" of Thoreau's individualism?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)