|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How are eccentricities dealt with in people who are otherwise fit to enter a mannered upper class?
(a) They become ammunition for expulsion from that upper class.
(b) They become a matter of amusement.
(c) They are molded into good manners.
(d) They are politely ignored.
2. How does the love between a man and woman usually begin?
(a) Quietly, like a summer breeze.
(b) With fire and passion.
(c) With shy flirtations.
(d) In hot-blooded youth.
3. In what style is "Selected Writings" written?
(c) All of the answers are correct.
4. What does true friendship require, according to Emerson?
(a) Cordial goodwill.
(b) Friendly love.
5. According to "Self-Reliance", the important thing is to be one's ______.
(a) Spiritual self.
(b) Inner self.
(c) Natural self.
(d) Authentic self.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Emerson say about communion in "The Lord's Supper"?
2. What is the ultimate effect of two lovers drawing closer to each other spiritually?
3. What natural phenomenon does Emerson use as a comparison for character in his essay "Character"?
4. Who is the author of "Selected Writings"?
5. True prudence does not question ______ laws.
Short Essay Questions
1. According to "New England Reformers", what does a reformist attitude challenge?
2. According to "The Poet", what is the effect of poets speaking the truth? How do poets speak the truth?
3. What do the nominalists and realists each have on their sides, according to Emerson?
4. How is each person's vocation discovered, according to "Spiritual Laws"? How is one's potential realized?
5. According to "Manners", what people are permitted latitude in their manners?
6. According to "Art", from where does all art evolve? What is its purpose?
7. According to "Self-Reliance", what is the relationship between conformity and being a man?
8. How was Plato's dichotomy of the body and soul relevant to Emerson's time?
9. What are the differences between materialism and idealism, according to "The Transcendentalist"?
10. What is the benefit of friendship, according to "Friendship"? What is the irony in Emerson's essay?
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)