|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Emancipation in the British West Indies.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What allows humans to survive culturally, according to Emerson?
2. Who said, "Do not flatter your benefactors"?
(a) Jesus Christ.
(b) The Buddha.
(c) Benjamin Franklin.
(d) An unnamed Indian guru.
3. What is the ultimate effect of two lovers drawing closer to each other spiritually?
(a) Drawing closer to God.
(b) Drawing closer to each other emotionally.
(c) Understanding each other on an intellectual level.
(d) Drawing closer to each other physically.
4. Which of the following is the best and most efficient type of economy for man, according to Emerson?
(a) Democratic republic.
(b) Enlightened socialism.
(c) Public bureaucracy.
(d) Private enterprise.
5. What do the Magna Carta, American Revolution, and habeas corpus reveal about the English?
(a) They have greatly influenced government all over the world.
(b) They are prone to bureaucracy.
(c) They will fight savagely for individual rights.
(d) They have a rich history.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of men do the hard work of farming?
2. What did Napoleon call himself?
3. How does nature affect mankind, according to Emerson?
4. According to Emerson, what can only be glimpsed but never possessed?
5. What does Emerson say is difficult because "solitude is impracticable, and society fatal"?
This section contains 274 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)