|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Spiritual Laws | Love.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What credibility did Emerson have to discuss the topic of "An Address"?
(a) He was a Senator.
(b) He was a preacher.
(c) He was a college professor.
(d) He lived in a small cabin in the wilderness most of his life.
2. How should one be a man, according to "Self-Reliance"?
(a) Be a nonconformist.
(b) Follow God's laws.
(c) Live in nature.
(d) Follow man's laws.
3. To whom does Emerson attribute the term "transcendentalism"?
(a) President Abraham Lincoln.
(b) The Buddha.
(c) Immanuel Kant.
(d) Henry David Thoreau.
4. Which of the following is the Gospel that makes mention of repetition of the Lord's Supper in worship, according to Emerson?
5. According to Emerson, it is the challenge of American scholars to foster and support the development of truly American ______ and ______.
(a) Culture; literature.
(b) Language; literature.
(c) Thought; language.
(d) Thought; culture.
Short Answer Questions
1. What example does Emerson use in "Spiritual Laws" to demonstrate the effects of force-feeding children questions and answers of little interest?
2. Which of the following is NOT one of the categories Emerson divides the world into?
3. What is the ultimate effect of two lovers drawing closer to each other spiritually?
4. Where did Emerson deliver "The Lord's Supper" as a sermon?
5. How does Emerson say one should keep a healthy balance on earth, according to "Compensation"?
This section contains 274 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)