|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Spiritual Laws | Love.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Emerson say about communion in "The Lord's Supper"?
(a) It is the most important ritual in Christianity.
(b) It should only be observed as part of Last Rites.
(c) It was a miracle that is downplayed in the Bible.
(d) It is a meaningless ritual.
2. How was "The Transcendentalist" originally delivered?
(a) As a eulogy.
(b) As a commencement address.
(c) As a lecture.
(d) As a letter to Henry David Thoreau.
3. What credibility did Emerson have to discuss the topic of "An Address"?
(a) He was a preacher.
(b) He was a college professor.
(c) He lived in a small cabin in the wilderness most of his life.
(d) He was a Senator.
4. According to "Compensation", which of the following is NOT one of the realms mentioned that achieves a balance between positive and negative forces?
5. According to Emerson, it is the challenge of American scholars to foster and support the development of truly American ______ and ______.
(a) Culture; literature.
(b) Language; literature.
(c) Thought; culture.
(d) Thought; language.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom does Emerson attribute the term "transcendentalism"?
2. Which of the following is the Gospel that makes mention of repetition of the Lord's Supper in worship, according to Emerson?
3. What is the subject of "An Address"?
4. How should history be understood, according to Emerson's essay "History"?
5. How does Emerson say one should keep a healthy balance on earth, according to "Compensation"?
This section contains 280 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)