|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Spiritual Laws | Love.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the author of "Selected Writings"?
(a) Ralph Waldo Emerson.
(b) Henry David Thoreau.
2. Whose minds are formed in a certain direction, according to "Spiritual Laws"?
(d) The unenlightened.
3. According to "Self-Reliance", what can bring you peace?
(a) Nothing but nature.
(b) Nothing but God.
(c) Nothing but yourself.
(d) Nothing but independence.
4. How was "The Transcendentalist" originally delivered?
(a) As a eulogy.
(b) As a lecture.
(c) As a commencement address.
(d) As a letter to Henry David Thoreau.
5. According to "Compensation", by what is mankind defined?
Short Answer Questions
1. How should history be understood, according to Emerson's essay "History"?
2. According to "An Address", what subverts the truly moral character of man?
3. At what college did Emerson give "The American Scholar" as an address?
4. What view does Emerson take of human love in "Love"?
5. According to Emerson, it is the challenge of American scholars to foster and support the development of truly American ______ and ______.
This section contains 198 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)