|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Cicero argues that ___________ is unnatural.
2. What impact does sharp practice have on the community?
3. What would explain Antony trying to put Cicero at odds with the Senate?
4. In what spirit does Antony take a step to attack Cicero verbally?
5. Who rescued the Senate from annihilation according to Cicero?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Cicero in section five of A Practical Code of Behavior, what should the invisible man do?
2. According to Cicero, what do goodness and rightness have in common, and who can see it?
3. According to Cicero, how does Antonius display his corruption?
4. What would not be blame worthy in the fourth section of A Practical Code of Behavior?
5. What does Cicero think a man's aim should always be?
6. Whose murder does Antonius accuse Cicero of committing?
7. In the story told in section five of A Practical Code of Behavior, how is the man able to retain his credit while doing wrong?
8. What do the two sides presented in the sixth section of A Practical Code of Behavior argue about?
9. How does Cicero accelerate the decline of Caesar, according to Antonius?
10. What does Cicero argue about wrong in the third section of A Practical Code of Behavior?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Cicero discusses the Stoic ideal and how important it is to live consistently with nature and moral rightness by doing what nature demands. Analyze what nature demands and how doing right always brings about good. Provide examples from the book to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
In the second letter, written to Atticus, Atticus is waiting for news about the new Triumvirate. Discuss why Cicero was concerned about remaining free after the Triumvirate took power. Examine the faltering freedom of the Roman republic and analyze the role of the Triumvirate in an essay. Use quotes to support your statements.
Essay Topic 3
A Practical Code of Behavior discusses how moral right proceeds practice and examines how philosophy is both fruitful and rewarding. Examine the practical code with respect to moral obligation. Why can't the right conflict? Provide examples from the book to support your discussion.
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)