|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason could a sick man use to break a promise of payment?
2. What fate did Rome's enemies share over the past twenty years?
3. What differentiated Antony from Cicero's past enemies?
4. What would make it right for an honest man to steal from a tyrant to save his life according to Cicero?
5. According to certain people, what can excuse wrong doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was left in charge of Rome during Caesar's absence, and how did that person fair?
2. What proof does Antonius use against Cicero when he tries to connect him to the murder of Caesar?
3. According to Cicero, what do goodness and rightness have in common, and who can see it?
4. What are the three questions Cicero analyzes in the first section of A Practical Code of Behavior?
5. To some in section eight of A Practical Code of Behavior, how is it possible to excuse wrongdoing?
6. What does Antonius blame on Cicero in an effort to discredit him?
7. In Attack on an Enemy of Freedom, what excuse does Antonius use to justify his attack on Cicero?
8. What does Cicero lament at the start of Attack on an Enemy of Freedom?
9. What is the second type of goodness for the Stoics?
10. Whose murder does Antonius accuse Cicero of committing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Cicero examines the fallacy of pleasure and maintains that receiving pleasure involves wrongdoing. Cicero maintains that getting pleasure can never be to one's advantage if it is still wrong. Analyze his main argument of the book, that nothing against the right can benefit someone. Students may use the text and secondary sources to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
Cato consoles the elderly for losing strength in old age. Cato admits that he lost strength, but he has retained some. He emphasizes how one should continue to engage in activities in order to gather strength. Analyze how one might gather strength from another and give examples to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Cicero opposes and criticizes Marcus Antonius who shared his power with Octavian. Six months after Caesar's assassination, Cicero addresses the political instability that resulted. Analyze Cicero's discussion of political instability that resulted from Caesar's rule. Use examples to support your discussion.
This section contains 822 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)