|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why would it be an advantage for a merchant to arrive early at a market during a food shortage?
2. What does Cicero wish philosophy will be to Scipio's son?
3. What does Cicero think cannot be done by Antony?
4. What differentiated Antony from Cicero's past enemies?
5. What fate did Rome's enemies share over the past twenty years?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the two sides presented in the sixth section of A Practical Code of Behavior argue about?
2. What does Cicero think a man's aim should always be?
3. In the story told in section five of A Practical Code of Behavior, how is the man able to retain his credit while doing wrong?
4. How does Cicero accelerate the decline of Caesar, according to Antonius?
5. In Attack on an Enemy of Freedom, what excuse does Antonius use to justify his attack on Cicero?
6. What does Cicero say about Antonius' character?
7. Whose murder does Antonius accuse Cicero of committing?
8. What does Cicero lament at the start of Attack on an Enemy of Freedom?
9. What do the Stoics and the Peripatetics think of the right and the advantage?
10. At the end of Attack on an Enemy of Freedom, what does Cicero say he wants for himself and Rome?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Cato consoles the elderly for losing strength in old age. Cato admits that he lost strength, but he has retained some. He emphasizes how one should continue to engage in activities in order to gather strength. Analyze how one might gather strength from another and give examples to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Cato focuses on the pleasures of age, including liberation from youthful pleasures like sensual greed. Examine the benefits and drawbacks to such liberation and how old age may bring pleasure to one's life. Provide textual support for your statements.
Essay Topic 3
Goodness and rightness, according to Cicero, are synonyms. However, only wisdom can see how. Determine what Cicero may consider as middle duties. Provide examples from the text to support your statements.
This section contains 799 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)