|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What would make it right for an honest man to steal from a tyrant to save his life according to Cicero?
2. Which of Antony's accusations does Cicero find the most serious?
3. What favor did Cicero acknowledge Antony did for him?
4. Cicero believed that __________ is a united body.
5. What reason does Antony give for visiting Cicero's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Antonius' arguments against Cicero, according to Cicero?
2. What do the Stoics and the Peripatetics think of the right and the advantage?
3. In the story told in section five of A Practical Code of Behavior, how is the man able to retain his credit while doing wrong?
4. According to Cicero, how does Antonius display his corruption?
5. What does Cicero lament at the start of Attack on an Enemy of Freedom?
6. How does Cicero accelerate the decline of Caesar, according to Antonius?
7. What does Cicero argue about wrong in the third section of A Practical Code of Behavior?
8. In Attack on an Enemy of Freedom, what excuse does Antonius use to justify his attack on Cicero?
9. Who was left in charge of Rome during Caesar's absence, and how did that person fair?
10. What does Antonius blame on Cicero in an effort to discredit him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Antonius ends Chapter 2 with an exhortation to Antonius to make peace with his country. Examine Antonius' actions and determine how he cannot be trusted based on Cicero's examination of his character. Use examples from the text to support your statements.
Essay Topic 2
Antonius gives a speech to blame Cicero for the problems in Rome, such as Clodius' murder, the Civil War, and Caesar's assassination. Analyze Cicero's responses to the accusations made against him and discuss whether his counter arguments are valid. Give examples from the text to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 3
The Selected Works of Cicero emphasizes Caesar, a dictator of Rome, and his effects on both the government and the populace. In an essay, discuss the significance of Caesar in ancient Rome and determine whether his leadership was positive or negative. Use examples from the book to support your discussion.
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)