|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Cicero, what would be the wrong thing for a merchant to do if there was knowledge of a food shortage?
2. What did Anthony claim to have done during the election of the augurship?
3. Cicero argues that ___________ is unnatural.
4. How does Cicero qualify the people endowed with perfect wisdom?
5. What philosophy does Panaetius follow?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Cicero in section five of A Practical Code of Behavior, what should the invisible man do?
2. What do the Stoics and the Peripatetics think of the right and the advantage?
3. What does Cicero think a man's aim should always be?
4. What does Cicero argue about wrong in the third section of A Practical Code of Behavior?
5. In the story told in section five of A Practical Code of Behavior, how is the man able to retain his credit while doing wrong?
6. What are Antonius' arguments against Cicero, according to Cicero?
7. According to Cicero, what do goodness and rightness have in common, and who can see it?
8. According to Cicero, how was his consulship compared to Antonius'?
9. What are the three questions Cicero analyzes in the first section of A Practical Code of Behavior?
10. How does Cicero accelerate the decline of Caesar, according to Antonius?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Cato consoles the elderly for losing strength in old age. Cato admits that he lost strength, but he has retained some. He emphasizes how one should continue to engage in activities in order to gather strength. Analyze how one might gather strength from another and give examples to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Cicero maintains that it is unnatural to do wrong and argues that it disrupts the body. Analyze this argument and how wrong disrupts society and one's body. Examine whether the wrong disrupts the body. Students should use examples from the text to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 3
Cicero considers objections made in hard moral cases, in business, and in law. Analyze the cases of evil as being unnatural and inhuman as discussed by Cicero. Choose one incident to examine and debate the accuracy of his conclusions.
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)