|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why would it be an advantage for a merchant to arrive early at a market during a food shortage?
2. According to Cicero, what would be the wrong thing for a merchant to do if there was knowledge of a food shortage?
3. What reason does Antony give for visiting Cicero's house?
4. What does justice demand of individuals?
5. What favor did Cicero acknowledge Antony did for him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Cicero argue about wrong in the third section of A Practical Code of Behavior?
2. At the end of Attack on an Enemy of Freedom, what does Cicero say he wants for himself and Rome?
3. What would not be blame worthy in the fourth section of A Practical Code of Behavior?
4. What does Cicero argue men should not do in the third section of A Practical Code of Behavior?
5. Whose murder does Antonius accuse Cicero of committing?
6. What are the three questions Cicero analyzes in the first section of A Practical Code of Behavior?
7. What is the second type of goodness for the Stoics?
8. What does Antonius blame on Cicero in an effort to discredit him?
9. According to Cicero, what do goodness and rightness have in common, and who can see it?
10. According to Cicero in section five of A Practical Code of Behavior, what should the invisible man do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Cicero maintains that it is unnatural to do wrong and argues that it disrupts the body. Analyze this argument and how wrong disrupts society and one's body. Examine whether the wrong disrupts the body. Students should use examples from the text to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
The Selected Works of Cicero emphasizes Caesar, a dictator of Rome, and his effects on both the government and the populace. In an essay, discuss the significance of Caesar in ancient Rome and determine whether his leadership was positive or negative. Use examples from the book to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 3
Cicero opposes and criticizes Marcus Antonius who shared his power with Octavian. Six months after Caesar's assassination, Cicero addresses the political instability that resulted. Analyze Cicero's discussion of political instability that resulted from Caesar's rule. Use examples to support your discussion.
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)