|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Gaius not do according to Cicero in the twenty-third letter?
(a) Invite Cicero to his house.
(b) Invite Cicero to a hunting trip.
(c) Invite Cicero to his oath of office.
(d) Invite Cicero to a banquet.
2. What caused dissension, according to the final letter in Cicero's Life and Letters?
(a) Lucius' speech.
(b) Lucius' influence.
(c) Lucius' bribes.
(d) Lucius' letter.
3. Who requested that Cicero take the case against Verres?
(a) The consul.
(b) The Sicilians.
(d) The praetor
4. What is at stake if Lucius refuses to identify himself with the cause of Roman freedom, according to the final letter?
(a) Lucius' citizenship.
(b) Lucius' money.
(c) Lucius' life.
(d) Lucius' position.
5. How many chests of money were left at "some senator's house"?
(a) Four chests.
(b) Eight chests.
(c) Ten chests.
(d) Five chests.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much money did Verres embezzled?
2. What are the moral standards of Publius Sulpicius, the judge?
3. What did the new consul elect tell Verres when Verres congratulated him for his victory?
4. What is Cicero expressing concern for in his third letter?
5. In the fifteenth letter, how does Cicero qualify the state of the country?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Hortensius tell Verres after his election to consul?
2. What does Cicero tell Caesar in the twelfth letter?
3. How does Cicero's opinion of Brutus change between the sixteenth and twenty-first letter?
4. What does the ninth argument tell us about Cicero's opinion of Marcus Metellus?
5. In the twelfth letter, what does Cicero say about the death of Caesar?
6. What does Cicero complain about in the fourth letter?
7. To whom did Cicero send the last letter of Cicero's Life and Letters, Selection from his Correspondence and why?
8. According to Cicero, what does Verres not use to oppose him?
9. Why didn't Verres' plan to bribe the judge succeed?
10. According to Cicero in his second argument, what is the relationship like between Cicero and Verres prior to the trial?
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)