|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Cicero in his sixth argument against Verres, what did Verres try to do after the consular comitia?
(a) Plead guilty.
(b) Choose a new lawyer.
(c) Bribe judges.
2. What does Verres do with the money embezzled during his third year as Sicilian praetor?
(a) Gave it to his associates.
(b) Spent it on real estate.
(c) Put it aside to bribe judges.
(d) Hid it for when he needed to flee.
3. What happened to Roman citizens under Verres' rule in Sicily?
(a) They were put to death like slaves.
(b) They were sent to Egypt.
(c) They were rewarded with many riches.
(d) They were forcibly enrolled in the military.
4. In Cicero's Life and Letters, Selection from his Correspondence, to whom did Cicero write the first letter?
5. What does Gaius not do according to Cicero in the twenty-third letter?
(a) Invite Cicero to a banquet.
(b) Invite Cicero to his house.
(c) Invite Cicero to a hunting trip.
(d) Invite Cicero to his oath of office.
Short Answer Questions
1. What virtue does Cicero hope Marcus Glabrio inherited from his father?
2. According to Cicero in his fourth argument against Verres, what was the name of the consul Verres betrayed?
3. Who is Sicily's praetor?
4. What does Cicero state cannot happen in a court of law?
5. What consul, in particular, is Cicero happy with according to the twenty-third letter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Cicero writing about in the seventh letter?
2. According to Cicero in his second argument, what is the relationship like between Cicero and Verres prior to the trial?
3. What are the names of Cicero's wife and children?
4. What news does Cicero send Atticus in the sixteenth letter?
5. Who wrote the eighth letter and to whom was it written?
6. What does the ninth argument tell us about Cicero's opinion of Marcus Metellus?
7. How does Cicero's opinion of Brutus change between the sixteenth and twenty-first letter?
8. What did Cicero learn from trustworthy sources concerning his candidacy to aedile, according to his eighth argument?
9. In Attack on Misgovernment, Against Verres I, how does Cicero characterize Verres in the first point he makes to the judges?
10. What event does Cicero relate to Atticus in letters ten and eleven?
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)