|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Caesar think that the death penalty should not be applied to the conspirators?
2. When was the Fourth Catilinam given?
3. Which word did Cicero use to describe Catiline's army in comparison to the Roman army?
4. What inconsistency did Cicero point out about Caesar's position?
5. How many of Catiline's co-conspirators managed to escape after Cicero ordered them to be brought to him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Catiline do as he was leaving the senate in Chapter 5, and what was Cicero's response?
2. Why did Caesar disagree with Silanus in Chapter 7? What was his alternate suggestion?
3. How did Catiline respond to In Catilinam I?
4. Which of Catiline's followers did Cicero think were not a serious threat, and which other group of followers did he think should be killed?
5. Why did Cicero refuse to accept a reward for saving Rome from Catiline?
6. Which of Caesar's accomplishments did Cicero reference in Pro Marcello?
7. Why did Cicero advise Caesar to take the threat of an assassination seriously?
8. How long had Cicero been exiled for before he gave Pro Marcello? What happened to Rome while he was away?
9. Which one of Caesar's statements troubled Cicero in Chapter 8?
10. What were some of the reasons why Cicero might have decided to give Pro Marcello?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe in detail the three major accusations that Antonius made against Cicero and how Cicero disproved each of them in Phillipic II. Also, provide examples of how Cicero showed Antonius' corruption in his defense. Why was Phillipic II released to the Romans in written form instead of being given as a speech?
Essay Topic 2
Verres, the corrupt governor of Sicily, was prosecuted for misleading people about his role in several events.
1) Describe the war against the slaves and how Verres misrepresented his part in it.
2) Explain how Verres deceived the people of Sicily about how a trireme in Messana was built.
3) Analyze Cicero's account of how Verres ' corruption led to the release of a pirate captain.
Essay Topic 3
Cicero's political career had a direct influence on his speeches and writings.
1) Describe three examples of the effects that Cicero's speeches had on his career in politics.
2) Explain how Cicero's political career had an effect on the intentions behind writing his speeches.
3) Analyze the writing style that Cicero used when writing an oratory speech vs. one that was meant to be read.
This section contains 868 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)