|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Cicero ask of the crowd in Chapter 5?
2. What did Cicero advise the people to do at the end of Chapter 6?
3. When did Nero think the decision about the conspirators' sentence should be made?
4. How did Cicero categorize Caesar's indication that his life was measured by his own personal achievements rather than the good of the country?
5. How many ex-consuls agreed with Silanus about giving the death penalty to the conspirators?
Short Essay Questions
1. When and where did Cicero give In Catilinam III?
2. What did Cicero say about the senate's decision at the end of In Catilinam IV?
3. How did Cicero present the evidence against Catiline and his followers to the senate, and what was their reaction?
4. How did Cicero describe Catiline and the threat he posed to Rome in In Catilinam II?
5. What did Catiline do as he was leaving the senate in Chapter 5, and what was Cicero's response?
6. How did Cicero depict the older men that followed Catiline?
7. How did Catiline respond to In Catilinam I?
8. Which of Caesar's accomplishments did Cicero reference in Pro Marcello?
9. How long had Cicero been exiled for before he gave Pro Marcello? What happened to Rome while he was away?
10. Why did Cicero refuse to accept a reward for saving Rome from Catiline?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Cicero's political career had a direct influence on his speeches and writings.
1) Describe three examples of the effects that Cicero's speeches had on his career in politics.
2) Explain how Cicero's political career had an effect on the intentions behind writing his speeches.
3) Analyze the writing style that Cicero used when writing an oratory speech vs. one that was meant to be read.
Essay Topic 2
In Pro Marcello, Cicero compliments Caesar for his accomplishments while issuing a warning to Caesar in the same speech.
1) Describe three of Caesar's achievements that Cicero recognized in Pro Marcello.
2) Explain the advice that Cicero gave to Caesar and why he thought a possible assassination attempt should be taken seriously.
3) Analyze the objection that Cicero had to Caesar's statement about glory and how Cicero thought it could have a negative effect on Caesar's reputation.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Catiline's attack on Cicero after hearing In Catilinam I with Antonius' attack on Cicero after he refused to participate in the senate meeting. In your analysis, include the similarities and differences between Catiline and Antonius and a comparison of the way Cicero dealt with each of them.
This section contains 843 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)