|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Caesar suggest the conspirators be imprisoned in Chapter 7?
2. How did the public respond to Cicero's speech about Catiline in Chapter 6?
3. What did some think Cicero might have been trying to maintain by giving Pro Marcello?
4. When was the Fourth Catilinam given?
5. For how long was Cicero exiled under the dictatorship of Caesar?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Cicero refute the claim that executing the co-conspirators was illegal?
2. How long had Cicero been exiled for before he gave Pro Marcello? What happened to Rome while he was away?
3. When and where did Cicero give In Catilinam III?
4. What happened to the six co-conspirators that Cicero discovered in Chapter 6?
5. Which one of Caesar's statements troubled Cicero in Chapter 8?
6. What was the theory about Caesar's position at the senate debate and his political ambitions?
7. What did Catiline do as he was leaving the senate in Chapter 5, and what was Cicero's response?
8. What removed any doubt of Catiline's guilt, and how did Cicero collect evidence against him?
9. What were some of the reasons why Cicero might have decided to give Pro Marcello?
10. How did Cicero describe his exile in Chapter 8?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the four major qualities of a military commander that Cicero wrote about in De imperio Cn. Pompei. Include specific examples of how and why Pompey represented these qualities and earned Cicero's support.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout his life and career, Cicero maintained a strong and admirable love and loyalty for his country that was reflected in his works.
1) Explain three examples of how Cicero displayed his love of his country in his political speeches.
2) Explain three examples of how Cicero displayed his love of his country in his actions while serving on the Roman consul.
3) Analyze the two things that Cicero wished for his country and its people and how they represent the way he lived his life.
Essay Topic 3
In Catilinam I was given after Cicero discovered a conspiracy to overtake Rome.
1) Describe three events that inspired Cicero to write and give In Catilinam I.
2) Explain Cicero's strategy for defeating Catiline as it was mentioned in his first speech against him.
3) Analyze why Catiline was not executed before In Catilinam I, Cicero's opinions about the issue, and how he responded to the criticism surrounding it.
This section contains 812 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)