|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many speeches did Cicero give against Verres at the hearings?
2. Would the proposal for Pompey to command the Roman forces against Mithridates have gone through without Cicero's speech?
3. What is the one thing that could have possibly spared Verres?
4. What had happened to the courts, according to Cicero in Chapter 1?
5. Cicero told the jurors that the attempt to bribe them should be taken as ______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Which other countries did Cicero say had witnessed Pompey's skills, and why did he think that Pompey had authority?
2. How did Verres intend to escape the charges being brought against him?
3. Why was the senate losing patience with Catiline, and what outraged Cicero at the beginning of In Catilinam I?
4. In the beginning of In Verrem I, what was the first reason that Cicero gave to the jurors to convict Verres?
5. What are some of the reasons why Cicero gave a speech endorsing Pompey?
6. How did Cicero describe the corrupt trials that Verres ran in Sicily?
7. What reasons were given for why Cicero could not arrest or execute Catiline at the time he gave In Catilinam I?
8. What was Cicero's assessment of the war with Mithridates in his speech for Pompey?
9. What corruption was exposed by Cicero about Verres' handling of the naval defense funds?
10. What did Cicero say about Sicily and Verres' actions in Sicily in Chapter 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the three steps that Cicero outlined in De imperio Cn. Pompei for how to choose a military commander. For each step, provide a description and use the examples that Cicero cited as a reference to analyze their importance.
Essay Topic 2
Explain how Cicero stopped Catiline's conspiracy plot and the evidence he presented to the senate. Also, include an analysis of the senate's reaction to Cicero's evidence, the public's reaction to In Catilinam III, and Cicero's refusal to accept the full credit for saving Rome.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the defense strategy of Verres during his trial. Also, provide an analysis of Cicero's methods in thwarting the corrupt defense plans with In Verrum I and how it demonstrated his skills as a writer and orator.
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)