|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Cicero feel about the chance to interact with the people of Rome while giving his endorsement speech for Pompey?
2. Which one of Verres' acquaintances was also implicated in the mishandled capture of a pirate captain?
3. Which of the following is another reason that Cicero gave the jurors to convict Verres in Chapter 2?
4. What was Verres' defense strategy?
5. What type of speech did Cicero give for Pompey in Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reasons were given for why Cicero could not arrest or execute Catiline at the time he gave In Catilinam I?
2. What was Cicero's assessment of the war with Mithridates in his speech for Pompey?
3. Which other pieces of evidence against Verres did Cicero include in Chapter 1?
4. What are some of the reasons why Cicero gave a speech endorsing Pompey?
5. Who opposed the election of Pompey, and how did Cicero address their concerns in his speech?
6. What was the concern about Verres and his connections within the Roman courts?
7. What advice did Cicero have for Hortensius in his second speech against Verres?
8. Which reasons did Cicero give for Catiline to go into exile in Chapter 4?
9. What did Verres do with a captured pirate captain that angered the people of Sicily?
10. Why was the senate losing patience with Catiline, and what outraged Cicero at the beginning of In Catilinam I?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hortensius was a well known lawyer during Cicero's time, and the two were rivals on more than one occasion.
1) Describe Hortensius' background, his reputation, and what he was known for.
2) Explain at least two different circumstances in which Cicero and Hortensius were political opponents.
3) Analyze Cicero's advice to Hortensius at the end of In Verrem II.5 and what Cicero was trying to accomplish by addressing Hortensius directly.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the similarities and differences between a judicial and deliberative speech. Using Cicero's political speeches as a reference, include examples of each type.
Essay Topic 3
Cicero's descriptiveness was a major aspect of his writings and speeches. Use multiple examples from his descriptions of Verres and Catiline to show why he was effective in convincing jurors to convict the criminals being questioned by the Roman consul.
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)