|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Verres falsely report that he had used his own money to build a trireme?
2. How did the people respond to the verdicts of the corrupt trials that Verres ran?
3. What two words did Cicero use to describe Verres in his first speech against him?
4. What did Cicero insist must be destroyed in order to win the war in Chapter 3?
5. How did Verres make it appear as though he built a trireme?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which other pieces of evidence against Verres did Cicero include in Chapter 1?
2. How did Cicero end In Verrum II?
3. Why did Cicero think that Pompey had military knowledge and ability?
4. What points did Cicero make about Verres' treatment of Roman citizens in Sicily?
5. As Cicero explained in his speech, what was at stake in the war against Mithridates?
6. How did Cicero respond to the accusation that Catiline should have already been executed in Chapter 4?
7. How was the building of a trireme in Messana misreported by Verres?
8. How did Cicero describe the corrupt trials that Verres ran in Sicily?
9. In the beginning of In Verrem I, what was the first reason that Cicero gave to the jurors to convict Verres?
10. What did Cicero say about Sicily and Verres' actions in Sicily in Chapter 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Cicero's descriptiveness was a major aspect of his writings and speeches. Use multiple examples from his descriptions of Verres and Catiline to show why he was effective in convincing jurors to convict the criminals being questioned by the Roman consul.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the six different groups of followers that Catiline had that Cicero spoke about in his speech, In Catilinam II. Which groups posed the biggest threat to Rome? Which groups were the least dangerous? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Hortensius was a well known lawyer during Cicero's time, and the two were rivals on more than one occasion.
1) Describe Hortensius' background, his reputation, and what he was known for.
2) Explain at least two different circumstances in which Cicero and Hortensius were political opponents.
3) Analyze Cicero's advice to Hortensius at the end of In Verrem II.5 and what Cicero was trying to accomplish by addressing Hortensius directly.
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)