|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following consul-elects agreed with Silanus about sentencing the conspirators to death?
2. How did Cicero categorize Caesar's indication that his life was measured by his own personal achievements rather than the good of the country?
3. How many ex-consuls agreed with Silanus about giving the death penalty to the conspirators?
4. Why did Silanus think the death penalty should be given to the conspirators?
(a) It would cost less than imprisoning them.
(b) It would be a popular decison with the people.
(c) It would deter Catiline's other supporters.
(d) It would fit their crimes.
5. What did Cicero tell the Romans happened to the conspirators that had been caught?
(a) They were exiled.
(b) They were in an undisclosed location.
(c) They were under arrest.
(d) They were cooperating with the capture of Catiline.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Nero think the decision about the conspirators' sentence should be made?
2. What did Cicero ask of the crowd in Chapter 5?
3. As Cicero explained, what did Public Lentulus, Catiline's co-conspirator, attempt to do in order to disrupt the regime in Rome?
4. How did Cicero explain that the death penalty for the conspirators would not be illegal?
5. What did some think Cicero might have been trying to maintain by giving Pro Marcello?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Cicero describe Catiline and the threat he posed to Rome in In Catilinam II?
2. Which inconsistency did Cicero reveal about Caesar's suggestion in the Fourth Catilinam?
3. How long had Cicero been exiled for before he gave Pro Marcello? What happened to Rome while he was away?
4. Why did Caesar disagree with Silanus in Chapter 7? What was his alternate suggestion?
5. How did Catiline respond to In Catilinam I?
6. What removed any doubt of Catiline's guilt, and how did Cicero collect evidence against him?
7. Why did Cicero advise Caesar to take the threat of an assassination seriously?
8. What happened to the six co-conspirators that Cicero discovered in Chapter 6?
9. How did Cicero depict the older men that followed Catiline?
10. What did Cicero say about the senate's decision at the end of In Catilinam IV?
This section contains 822 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)