|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Silanus think the death penalty should be given to the conspirators?
(a) It would cost less than imprisoning them.
(b) It would fit their crimes.
(c) It would be a popular decison with the people.
(d) It would deter Catiline's other supporters.
2. Where did Caesar suggest the conspirators be imprisoned in Chapter 7?
(a) A deserted island.
(b) An underground cave.
(c) A well-armed Italian town.
(d) A Roman prison.
3. How did Catiline leave the senate chamber in Chapter 5?
(a) He was pushed out.
(b) He ran.
(c) He was carried out.
(d) He walked.
4. What was made clear about Cicero's Pro Marcello speech?
(a) It was a defense.
(b) It was not directed towards the senate.
(c) It was not directed towards Caesar.
(d) It was not a defense.
5. When did Cicero tell the people at the forum about Catiline's conspiracy?
(a) The night of the senate meeting.
(b) Two days after the senate meeting.
(c) The morning after the senate meeting.
(d) The day after the senate meeting.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which one of the following is the main purpose of Cicero's Pro Marcello speech?
2. How long after the Second Catilinam was the Third Catilinam given?
3. After making his case in support of giving the death penalty to the conspirators, what did Cicero say he would do in response to whatever the senate decided?
4. How many different types of corrupt groups were there that supported Catiline?
5. How did Cicero react to what Caesar had done to the republic during his isolation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to the six co-conspirators that Cicero discovered in Chapter 6?
2. How did Cicero depict the older men that followed Catiline?
3. What was Silanus' position during the senate's debate, and who agreed with him?
4. What were some of the reasons why Cicero might have decided to give Pro Marcello?
5. What did Cicero say about the senate's decision at the end of In Catilinam IV?
6. How did Cicero describe Catiline and the threat he posed to Rome in In Catilinam II?
7. What did Catiline do as he was leaving the senate in Chapter 5, and what was Cicero's response?
8. How did Cicero describe his exile in Chapter 8?
9. Why did Cicero refuse to accept a reward for saving Rome from Catiline?
10. What was the theory about Caesar's position at the senate debate and his political ambitions?
This section contains 827 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)