|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What promise did Cicero make to the citizens of Rome at the end of Chapter 5?
(a) To warn them at the first sign of trouble.
(b) To expose all of the groups that are working against them.
(c) To protect them from the conspirators.
(d) To ensure they remain out of the conflict.
2. Which word did Cicero use to describe Catiline's army in comparison to the Roman army?
3. When did Cicero tell the people at the forum about Catiline's conspiracy?
(a) The day after the senate meeting.
(b) The morning after the senate meeting.
(c) Two days after the senate meeting.
(d) The night of the senate meeting.
4. After making his case in support of giving the death penalty to the conspirators, what did Cicero say he would do in response to whatever the senate decided?
(a) Take responsibility for it.
(b) Ensure that justice was served.
(c) Give another speech the next day.
(d) Challenge it if he did not agree.
5. How did the public respond to Cicero's speech about Catiline in Chapter 6?
(a) They apologized to Cicero.
(b) They could not understand what he was saying.
(c) They turned against Catiline.
(d) They were very surprised.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Cicero think should happen to the group of criminals that supported Catiline?
2. How many of Catiline's co-conspirators managed to escape after Cicero ordered them to be brought to him?
3. How many speeches did Cicero give after returning to the senate from his exile before Pro Marcello?
4. How many ex-consuls agreed with Silanus about giving the death penalty to the conspirators?
5. According to Cicero in Chapter 5, what was clear about Catiline?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to the six co-conspirators that Cicero discovered in Chapter 6?
2. How did Cicero present the evidence against Catiline and his followers to the senate, and what was their reaction?
3. When and where did Cicero give In Catilinam III?
4. What was Silanus' position during the senate's debate, and who agreed with him?
5. Why did Caesar disagree with Silanus in Chapter 7? What was his alternate suggestion?
6. How long had Cicero been exiled for before he gave Pro Marcello? What happened to Rome while he was away?
7. How did Cicero end In Catilinam III, and what instructions did he give to the Romans?
8. Which of Catiline's followers did Cicero think were not a serious threat, and which other group of followers did he think should be killed?
9. How did Cicero describe his exile in Chapter 8?
10. How did Cicero depict the older men that followed Catiline?
This section contains 790 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)