|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many different types of corrupt groups were there that supported Catiline?
2. For how long was Cicero exiled under the dictatorship of Caesar?
3. How did Cicero explain that the death penalty for the conspirators would not be illegal?
(a) The law had not been followed in the past, and it was void.
(b) The law did not apply to traitors.
(c) There was an amendment to the law that allowed it.
(d) There was no law that required a fair trial.
4. What did some think Cicero might have been trying to maintain by giving Pro Marcello?
(a) His general status in Rome.
(b) His influence in designing new laws.
(c) His reputation as an orator.
(d) His position in the senate.
5. What did Cicero ask of the crowd in Chapter 5?
(a) Not to follow Catiline.
(b) Not to allow Catiline back into Rome.
(c) Not to condemn Catiline before they heard the facts.
(d) Not to blame him for apprehending Catiline.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the Fourth Catilinam, when did Cicero request a decision from the senate about the sentencing of the conspirators?
2. Why did Cicero think the threat of Catiline forming an army against Rome was a possibility?
3. What complaint did some have about Cicero that was proven to be false?
4. How did Catiline respond to Cicero in Chapter 5?
5. Although the crisis was still active when Cicero gave his speech to the Romans in Chapter 6, when did he say it would be over?
Short Essay Questions
1. When and where did Cicero give In Catilinam III?
2. Which one of Caesar's statements troubled Cicero in Chapter 8?
3. Why did Cicero refuse to accept a reward for saving Rome from Catiline?
4. What happened to the six co-conspirators that Cicero discovered in Chapter 6?
5. How did Cicero describe his exile in Chapter 8?
6. Why did Cicero advise Caesar to take the threat of an assassination seriously?
7. How did Cicero present the evidence against Catiline and his followers to the senate, and what was their reaction?
8. What was Silanus' position during the senate's debate, and who agreed with him?
9. What did Cicero say about the senate's decision at the end of In Catilinam IV?
10. What was the theory about Caesar's position at the senate debate and his political ambitions?
This section contains 840 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)