|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did Cicero indicate that Catiline had been planning his death?
(a) The previous night.
(b) The previous year.
(c) The previous month.
(d) The previous week.
2. What was the goal of the coup that Catiline attempted?
(a) To take control of Rome.
(b) To get Cicero exiled.
(c) To unseat Cicero from consul.
(d) To threaten other regions.
3. As Cicero explained, which region were Mithridates and Tigranes trying to conquer?
4. What was Cicero describing when he referred to Servilius?
(a) Citizens that had property stolen from them.
(b) Citizens that had money stolen from them.
(c) A prison for falsely accused citizens.
(d) Victims of unsubstantiated crimes.
5. Which of the following is another reason that Cicero gave the jurors to convict Verres in Chapter 2?
(a) The return of the items that Verres stole.
(b) The return of the money that Verres stole.
(c) The safety of the witnesses against Verres.
(d) The safety of the people Verres had persecuted.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Cicero's first speech against Catiline given?
2. When did Mithridates acquire the territories he controlled during the time of Cicero's speech in Chapter 3?
3. What did Cicero assure the Roman people would prevent Pompey from forming a coup at the end of his speech in Chapter 3?
4. What did Cicero urge the Roman people to consider about the war in Chapter 3?
5. According to Cicero's opening of his first speech against Verres, who despised the jurors?
Short Essay Questions
1. What corruption was exposed by Cicero about Verres' handling of the naval defense funds?
2. What reasons were given for why Cicero could not arrest or execute Catiline at the time he gave In Catilinam I?
3. As Cicero explained in his speech, what was at stake in the war against Mithridates?
4. What points did Cicero make about Verres' treatment of Roman citizens in Sicily?
5. What events led to the Catlinarians given by Cicero?
6. Why was the senate losing patience with Catiline, and what outraged Cicero at the beginning of In Catilinam I?
7. Who opposed the election of Pompey, and how did Cicero address their concerns in his speech?
8. How did Cicero describe the conflict with Mithridates to the Romans in Chapter 3?
9. How did Cicero include the past history of Rome to inspire the Roman citizens in Chapter 3?
10. How was the building of a trireme in Messana misreported by Verres?
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)