|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is another reason that Cicero gave the jurors to convict Verres in Chapter 2?
(a) The safety of the witnesses against Verres.
(b) The safety of the people Verres had persecuted.
(c) The return of the items that Verres stole.
(d) The return of the money that Verres stole.
2. Which sea did Pompey clear of pirates to show his military ability?
(a) Adriatic Sea.
(b) Celtic Sea.
(c) North Sea.
(d) Mediterranean Sea.
3. As Cicero stated in his first speech against Verres, what would a failure to convict cause?
(a) A rejection of apathy.
(b) A confirmation of apathy.
(c) A confirmation of suspicions.
(d) A rejection of suspicions.
4. Why was Cicero not able to execute Catiline?
(a) Misplaced doubt.
(b) Popular pressures.
(c) Bribed officials.
(d) Lack of evidence.
5. Besides the honor of their ancestors, what else did Cicero say was at stake for the Roman people in the war against Mithridates?
(a) Their pride.
(b) Their reputation.
(c) Their economic interests.
(d) Their political interests.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Cicero categorize the war's outcome in his speech for Pompey in Chapter 3?
2. When did Cicero say that Catiline should have been killed by the Roman consul?
3. Which one of the following was assumed to be elected to the consulship and help Verres?
4. Which hearing was Verres convicted at after he failed to appear?
5. Why did Verres choose to flee into exile?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which other countries did Cicero say had witnessed Pompey's skills, and why did he think that Pompey had authority?
2. What are some of the reasons why Cicero gave a speech endorsing Pompey?
3. What did Cicero say about Sicily and Verres' actions in Sicily in Chapter 1?
4. What corruption was exposed by Cicero about Verres' handling of the naval defense funds?
5. How was the building of a trireme in Messana misreported by Verres?
6. What advice did Cicero have for Hortensius in his second speech against Verres?
7. In the beginning of In Verrem I, what was the first reason that Cicero gave to the jurors to convict Verres?
8. How did Cicero describe the conflict with Mithridates to the Romans in Chapter 3?
9. What position did Cicero have when he gave the speeches against Verres, and what situation caused him to write them?
10. How did Cicero end In Verrum II?
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)