|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What position did Silanus have?
2. What promise did Cicero make to the citizens of Rome at the end of Chapter 5?
(a) To ensure they remain out of the conflict.
(b) To protect them from the conspirators.
(c) To warn them at the first sign of trouble.
(d) To expose all of the groups that are working against them.
3. How soon after Catiline left the senate chamber did Cicero give In Catilinam II?
(a) The next week.
(b) Three days later.
(c) Two days later.
(d) The next day.
4. How long after the Second Catilinam was the Third Catilinam given?
(a) One day.
(b) One week.
(c) One month.
(d) One hour.
5. In the Fourth Catilinam, when did Cicero request a decision from the senate about the sentencing of the conspirators?
(a) Before the night.
(b) At the end of the week.
(c) The next morning.
6. Which of the following was part of the decree thanking Cicero for proving Catiline's guilt to the senate?
(a) He and his allies saved Rome.
(b) He had uncovered more criminal plots than anyone else.
(c) He should remain in office indefinitely.
(d) He should be named as the head of the consul.
7. Which one of the following is the main purpose of Cicero's Pro Marcello speech?
(a) To talk about the rules of the Republic.
(b) To convince Caesar to pardon Marcellus.
(c) To thank Caesar for pardoning Marcellus.
(d) To restore the rules of the Republic.
8. What did Cicero admit about his exile in Pro Marcello?
(a) His loss of patience.
(b) His productiveness during the isolation.
(c) His great grief.
(d) His enjoyment of the silence.
9. What inconsistency did Cicero point out about Caesar's position?
(a) Life imprisonment would be worse than death for the conspirators.
(b) Caesar did not request a fair trial for imprisonment.
(c) Caesar had previously voted for the death penalty in a similar case.
(d) Caesar repeatedly misquoted the law he was referring to.
10. Based on the thwarted conspiracy, Cicero thought the city should be ______________.
11. How did Cicero think the Roman people would react to sentencing the conspirators to death?
(a) They would support it eventually.
(b) They would neither support it nor understand it.
(c) They might not support it, but they would understand it.
(d) They would support it instantly.
12. How many of Catiline's co-conspirators managed to escape after Cicero ordered them to be brought to him?
13. Where were the conspirators when the senate debated their sentence in Chapter 7?
(a) In jail.
(c) It was not revealed.
(d) At the senate meeting.
14. According to some interpretations, how was Cicero trying to cause the return of republican liberties with his Pro Marcello speech?
15. How did Cicero describe Caesar's accomplishments?
(a) Greater than can be understood.
(b) Greater than most expected.
(c) Not as great as most expected.
(d) Almost greater than can be understood.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Cicero categorize Caesar's indication that his life was measured by his own personal achievements rather than the good of the country?
2. Why did Silanus think the death penalty should be given to the conspirators?
3. Which of the following terms did Catiline use to insult Cicero?
4. How did Cicero react to what Caesar had done to the republic during his isolation?
5. Why did Caesar think that the death penalty should not be applied to the conspirators?
This section contains 611 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)