|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the beginning of Cicero's speech in Chapter 4, what was the senate losing patience with about Catiline?
(a) His incompetence.
(b) His greed.
(c) His arrogance.
(d) His recklessness.
2. What did Cicero insist must be destroyed in order to win the war in Chapter 3?
(a) The cost of surrender.
(b) The price of resignation.
(c) The possibility of disgrace.
(d) The threat of defeat.
3. What type of speech did Cicero give for Pompey in Chapter 3?
4. Which two things did Cicero say the Roman people were eager for in Chapter 3?
(a) Glory and renown.
(b) Treasure and land.
(c) Glory and treasure.
(d) Land and renown.
5. Did Cicero say that the region Verres governed could be restored to its previous state?
(c) Only parts of it could be restored.
(d) Most of it could be restored.
6. Where was Cicero's first speech against Catiline given?
(a) In the Senate.
(b) At Catiline's house.
(d) At Cicero's house.
7. When did the first hearing against Verres take place?
(a) June 2-10.
(b) June 4-11.
(c) August 5-13.
(d) August 7-14.
8. What did Cicero say he would do if he were in Catiline's position?
(a) Go into exile.
(b) Offer the people compensation.
(c) Be imprisoned.
(d) Attempt an explanation.
9. When was Cicero elected consul of Rome?
(a) 63 B.C.
(b) 62 B.C.
(c) 64 B.C .
(d) 61 B.C.
10. Which word was used to represent a legal speech in describing Cicero's speeches against Verres?
11. How did Cicero describe the conflict between Rome and Mithridates?
12. Which one of the following was assumed to be elected to the consulship and help Verres?
13. Why did Cicero think that Verres committed crimes against the citizens of Rome?
(b) Cicero did not say.
14. What was Verres' defense strategy?
(a) To eliminate the witnesses.
(b) To slander Cicero.
(c) To prove his innocence.
(d) To delay the trial.
15. Which one of the following did Cicero thank for protecting the people against Catiline's treachery?
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Cicero categorize the war's outcome in his speech for Pompey in Chapter 3?
2. What did Cicero say about the contract to bribe the jurors in his first speech against Verres?
3. Which type of speech were the speeches against Verres considered?
4. What is the last thing that Cicero mentioned to prove Verres' lack of participation in the war against runaway slaves?
5. What is the one thing that could have possibly spared Verres?
This section contains 496 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)