|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9, Phillipic II.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did many people wonder about Cicero's Pro Marcello speech?
(a) Why it was not longer.
(b) Why it was not shorter.
(c) Why Cicero gave it.
(d) Why Cicero waited so long to give it.
2. How many speeches did Cicero give against Verres at the hearings?
3. What year was Pro Marcello given?
(a) 48 B.C.
(b) 45 B.C.
(c) 47 B.C.
(d) 46 B.C.
4. What did Cicero cite as an example to support his theory that executing Catiline would have hurt the unity of the country?
(a) A past assassination case.
(b) A specific law.
(c) A poll of the Roman citizens.
(d) A previous court judgment.
5. Would the proposal for Pompey to command the Roman forces against Mithridates have gone through without Cicero's speech?
(a) Not likely.
(b) Only if Cicero gave an endorsement without a speech.
(c) It is unknown.
(d) Most likely.
Short Answer Questions
1. As pointed out in the senate debate, what might have made the execution of the conspirators illegal?
2. How many ex-consuls agreed with Silanus about giving the death penalty to the conspirators?
3. Where did Verres falsely report that he had used his own money to build a trireme?
4. What did Cicero say that the Roman people were in danger of losing from the war with Mithridates?
5. How did Cicero explain that the death penalty for the conspirators would not be illegal?
This section contains 293 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)