|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8, Pro Marcello.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Cicero's opening of his first speech against Verres, who despised the jurors?
(a) The consul.
(b) The praetor.
(c) The people.
2. As Cicero explained, which region were Mithridates and Tigranes trying to conquer?
3. How many speeches were written in total against Verres?
4. Where did Caesar suggest the conspirators be imprisoned in Chapter 7?
(a) A Roman prison.
(b) An underground cave.
(c) A well-armed Italian town.
(d) A deserted island.
5. What was Verres' defense strategy?
(a) To prove his innocence.
(b) To slander Cicero.
(c) To delay the trial.
(d) To eliminate the witnesses.
Short Answer Questions
1. After making his case in support of giving the death penalty to the conspirators, what did Cicero say he would do in response to whatever the senate decided?
2. How did Caesar's position about the conspirators seem to benefit him at the time?
3. How did the people respond to the verdicts of the corrupt trials that Verres ran?
4. How did Cicero explain that the death penalty for the conspirators would not be illegal?
5. Which type of speech were the speeches against Verres considered?
This section contains 271 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)