|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4, In Catilinam I.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Verres' defense strategy?
(a) To delay the trial.
(b) To prove his innocence.
(c) To eliminate the witnesses.
(d) To slander Cicero.
2. Since Cicero could not likely speak against anyone else in the senate the way he had spoken of Catiline, whose respect did Catiline lose?
(a) His followers.
(b) The people of other regions.
(c) The senate.
(d) The Roman citizens.
3. What did Cicero say that the Roman people were in danger of losing from the war with Mithridates?
(a) Their military.
(b) Their empire.
(c) Their money.
(d) Their weapons.
4. For which of the following reasons did Cicero encourage Catiline to go into exile at the end of Chapter 4?
(a) To prolong execution.
(b) To avoid execution.
(c) To harm Cicero's reputation.
(d) To help Catiline's reputation.
5. According to Cicero's opening of his first speech against Verres, who despised the jurors?
(b) The people.
(c) The consul.
(d) The praetor.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was Cicero elected consul of Rome?
2. Which of the following were not included in the crimes against Verres that Cicero spoke of in the conclusion of Chapter 1?
3. Which of the following is another reason that Cicero gave the jurors to convict Verres in Chapter 2?
4. According to what Cicero told Hortensius, the opposing counsel, in Chapter 2, what did Hortensius owe Verres?
5. When did the first hearing against Verres take place?
This section contains 272 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)