|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, De imperio Cn. Pompei ('On the Command of Gnaeus Pompeius').
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was Verres a governor when he committed the corrupt actions Cicero spoke against?
2. Which two things did Cicero say the Roman people were eager for in Chapter 3?
(a) Land and renown.
(b) Glory and treasure.
(c) Glory and renown.
(d) Treasure and land.
3. What did Verres apparently do when the people protested his treatment of the pirate captain?
(a) He ignored them.
(b) He threatened them.
(c) He gave them an invented excuse.
(d) He attempted to bribe them.
4. Mithridates, the enemy of Rome, was from ______________.
5. What year were the speeches of In Verrem given?
(a) 67 B.C.
(b) 70 B.C.
(c) 68 B.C.
(d) 71 B.C.
Short Answer Questions
1. Besides the honor of their ancestors, what else did Cicero say was at stake for the Roman people in the war against Mithridates?
2. Which one of the following was assumed to be elected to the consulship and help Verres?
3. How many speeches were not actually given by Cicero because Verres had already gone into exile?
4. What was the first thing that Cicero did to open his speech for Pompey in Chapter 3?
5. Which revolt did Cicero reference in order to prove his case against Verres?
This section contains 226 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)