|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, De imperio Cn. Pompei ('On the Command of Gnaeus Pompeius').
Multiple Choice Questions
1. If Verres was not convicted, what did Cicero think would happen in the judicial system?
(a) There would be silence.
(b) There would be vicious acts against the decision.
(c) There would be an upheaval.
(d) There would be challenges to the decision.
2. As Cicero stated in his first speech against Verres, what would a failure to convict cause?
(a) A confirmation of apathy.
(b) A confirmation of suspicions.
(c) A rejection of suspicions.
(d) A rejection of apathy.
3. What did Cicero insist must be destroyed in order to win the war in Chapter 3?
(a) The threat of defeat.
(b) The possibility of disgrace.
(c) The cost of surrender.
(d) The price of resignation.
4. After making his initial point against Verres, what type of attacks did Cicero launch against Verres' actions and character in Chapter 1?
5. What two words did Cicero use to describe Verres in his first speech against him?
(a) Insane and irresponsible.
(b) Reckless and idiotic.
(c) Reckless and insane.
(d) Reckless and irresponsible.
Short Answer Questions
1. Cicero told the jurors that the attempt to bribe them should be taken as ______________.
2. Along with ruining his perceived military career, what else did Cicero accomplish by repeating Verres' crimes in Chapter 2?
3. How many steps did Cicero suggest the people of Rome should consider when deciding who would lead the Roman military in Chapter 3?
4. Mithridates, the enemy of Rome, was from ______________.
5. What did Cicero say about the contract to bribe the jurors in his first speech against Verres?
This section contains 297 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)