|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is troubling about the money Tamkin invested?
2. What is the first thing that Wilhelm does in the beginning of Chapter 7?
3. Wilhelm recalls being sick with the flu. What did he ask Margaret to do for him while he was sick?
4. What's the name of the movie that Wilhelm appeared in as an extra?
5. Who says, "I'm losing my taste for the gamble."?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dr. Adler and Wilhelm are two important characters in Seize the Day and have a major impact on the course of the story.
Part 1) Compare and contrast the characters of Dr. Adler and Wilhelm. How are they the same? How are they different?
Part 2) How would we see Wilhelm differently if Dr. Adler had never been introduced as a character?
Part 3) Who is the better father, Dr. Adler or Wilhelm? Cite several examples from the book to support your case.
Essay Topic 2
The last scene in the book is very significant and ties together many of the themes of the book. Select one topic to write about.
1) The last scene is foreshadowed in the book in many different places. Cite at least 2 examples of how it is foreshadowed.
2) The final scene is also a metaphor for Wilhelm. How is it a metaphor for Wilhelm? What does it reveal about his character?
3) The final scene is rich in imagery and language dealing with water. Cite 3 examples of allusions and what they reveal about the story and Wilhelm's character development.
4) The final paragraph is the perfect summation of the entire story, especially the final line: "He heard it and sank deeper than sorrow, through torn sobs and cries toward the consummation of his heart's ultimate need." What is his "heart's ultimate need"? Why do you think that? You must refer to specific examples from the book to support your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Poetry is quintessential to shaping this story, and reappears throughout the novel. Select one of the following topics:
1. When Wilhelm was sick, Margaret nursed him and read him poetry. In particular, he recalls a few lines of one of the poems she read. What is the significance of this poem? What does it mean for Wilhelm's character development? At what point in the story is this poem revealed? Why is this significant to the story?
2. Before going to the market, Tamkin gives Wilhelm a poem that he claims to have penned just for him. What is the significance of this poem? What does it mean for Wilhelm's character development? At what point in the story is this poem revealed? Why is this significant to the story?
3. Throughout the story, Wilhelm recalls a book of poetry he had read in college. Specifically, it's the line, "Sunk though he be beneath the wat'ry floor." What is the significance of this poem? What does it mean for Wilhelm's character development? Does the meaning of this statement change as we learn more about Wilhelm and the circumstances of his life?
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)