Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Wilhelm's relationship with Roxbury girlfriend end?
2. Wilhelm's girlfriend in Roxbury agrees to marry him outside the Catholic church if this one stipulation occurs:
3. According to Mr. Rappaport, why doesn't he want to go to the cigar store alone?
4. Why can't Wilhelm figure Tamkin out?
5. Why is Wilhelm late in returning to the stock market?
Essay Topic 1
The title of the book, Seize the Day, is used twice in the text, by two different characters.
Part 1) What does "seize the day" mean?
Part 2) Who uses the phrase? Is it used differently the first time it's used and the second? Why or why not?
Part 3) Why do you think Saul Bellow chose this title for his book?
Essay Topic 2
Family plays a significant role throughout the book, particularly the strained relationship between Wilhelm and his father, Dr. Adler. Choose one of the following options to write about:
1) Why is the relationship between Wilhelm and his father strained? What events help define for us the nature of their relationship? Does their relationship change by the end of the book? Why or why not?
2) Minor characters in Wilhelm's family also play a significant role. How do the characters of Catherine, Margaret, and Wilhelm's sons help to define Wilhelm as a character? What do they help us to understand about the story?
3) Compare and contrast Dr. Adler and Wilhelm. How are they the same? How are they different?
Essay Topic 3
When we meet Wilhelm, he considers himself a complete failure. The motif of failure reappears throughout the book.
Part 1) Why is failure significant in this story? What is Wilhelm's relationship with failure?
Part 2) Sometimes failure is defined by its inverse - success. How does Dr. Adler's success help illuminate not only Wilhelm's failure, but some of his own shortcomings?
Part 3) What does Wilhelm learn from his failure, if anything? Do you think he will apply these lessons to his life beyond the book? Why or why not?
This section contains 486 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)