|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who clears two hundred a week by investing only in soy beans?
2. Which character leaves the dining room at the beginning of Chapter 4?
3. What did Wilhelm sign that would give Tamkin the authority to speculate with his money?
4. What does Tamkin insist upon instead of going to the market?
5. The narrator tells us in Chapter 7: "He heard it and sank deeper than sorrow, through torn sobs and cries toward the consummation of his heart's ultimate need." Who is this statement about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the first chapter, Wilhelm recalls a line of poetry from a college textbook: "Sunk though he be beneath the wat'ry floor..."
Part 1) What do you think this means in the context of the original poem? How does it relate specifically to Wilhelm?
Part 2) This concept of water and sinking reappears throughout the rest of the book. Cite at least 3 examples where this metaphor is used.
Part 3) Why does Wilhelm constantly go back to this line? Why is he so drawn to it?
Essay Topic 2
When we meet Wilhelm, he considers himself a complete failure. The motif of failure reappears throughout the book.
Part 1) Why is failure significant in this story? What is Wilhelm's relationship with failure?
Part 2) Sometimes failure is defined by its inverse - success. How does Dr. Adler's success help illuminate not only Wilhelm's failure, but some of his own shortcomings?
Part 3) What does Wilhelm learn from his failure, if anything? Do you think he will apply these lessons to his life beyond the book? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
In this story, many of the characters, particularly Wilhelm, struggle to define themselves. Wilhelm has been called by many different names in his life - Wilky, Wilhelm, Tommy Wilhelm, and Vevel.
Part 1) Identify each name and what it means to Wilhelm.
Part 2) Which one does Wilhelm most identify with and why?
This section contains 363 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)