|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why can't Wilhelm figure Tamkin out?
2. Who says in Chapter 7: "I was the man beneath; [he] was on my back, and I thought I was on his.
3. What does Wilhelm find Dr. Adler doing in Chapter 7?
4. Which character remains "unbending, remorselessly unbending" at the end of Chapter 7?
5. What religion was Wilhelm's mother during his childhood?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Wilhelm struggles with many things in his life, but above all he appears to have lost his identity.
Part 1) When we meet Wilhelm, he has lost a job. How might this event have contributed to his loss of identity? How does he try to get it back?
Part 2) Wilhelm is also substantially alienated from the characters in the book. Does this alienation affect his inability to find an identity? Why or why not?
Part 3) Wilhelm turns to Tamkin for support in his search for identity. Why does he turn to Tamkin? Do you think Tamkin is qualified to help Wilhelm rediscover his identity? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Many of the events we witness in the story occur because of one factor: pride. Consider the following:
Part 1) Pride was a factor when Wilhelm lost his job at the Rojax Corporation. Why? What happened?
Part 2) Tamkin is the only character who knows exactly why Wilhelm lost his job. Why does Wilhelm tell him? How does his pride motivate him to tell Tamkin?
Part 3) How is pride still a factor in Wilhelm's life? How has this pride caused him to get into his current situation?
Essay Topic 3
Poetry is quintessential to shaping this story, and reappears throughout the novel. Select one of the following topics:
1. When Wilhelm was sick, Margaret nursed him and read him poetry. In particular, he recalls a few lines of one of the poems she read. What is the significance of this poem? What does it mean for Wilhelm's character development? At what point in the story is this poem revealed? Why is this significant to the story?
2. Before going to the market, Tamkin gives Wilhelm a poem that he claims to have penned just for him. What is the significance of this poem? What does it mean for Wilhelm's character development? At what point in the story is this poem revealed? Why is this significant to the story?
3. Throughout the story, Wilhelm recalls a book of poetry he had read in college. Specifically, it's the line, "Sunk though he be beneath the wat'ry floor." What is the significance of this poem? What does it mean for Wilhelm's character development? Does the meaning of this statement change as we learn more about Wilhelm and the circumstances of his life?
This section contains 521 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)