|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In which commodity does Wilhelm believe his money is in?
2. Who claims to treat his friends without being paid?
3. In reality, in what commodity has Tamkin moved Wilhelm's money?
4. What commodity does Wilhelm think Rappaport should speculate in, given his career?
5. In Wilhelm's mind, what is the big question regarding Tamkin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Persuasion is an important motif throughout the book.
Part 1) How is persuasion used in the book to influence the main character, Wilhelm? Be specific with quotes and examples from the text.
Part 2) What techniques does the narrator use to persuade us, the readers, to feel a certain why? Cite examples of this.
Essay Topic 2
Poetry is quintessential to shaping this story, and reappears throughout the novel. Select one of the following topics:
1. When Wilhelm was sick, Margaret nursed him and read him poetry. In particular, he recalls a few lines of one of the poems she read. What is the significance of this poem? What does it mean for Wilhelm's character development? At what point in the story is this poem revealed? Why is this significant to the story?
2. Before going to the market, Tamkin gives Wilhelm a poem that he claims to have penned just for him. What is the significance of this poem? What does it mean for Wilhelm's character development? At what point in the story is this poem revealed? Why is this significant to the story?
3. Throughout the story, Wilhelm recalls a book of poetry he had read in college. Specifically, it's the line, "Sunk though he be beneath the wat'ry floor." What is the significance of this poem? What does it mean for Wilhelm's character development? Does the meaning of this statement change as we learn more about Wilhelm and the circumstances of his life?
Essay Topic 3
Many of the events we witness in the story occur because of one factor: pride. Consider the following:
Part 1) Pride was a factor when Wilhelm lost his job at the Rojax Corporation. Why? What happened?
Part 2) Tamkin is the only character who knows exactly why Wilhelm lost his job. Why does Wilhelm tell him? How does his pride motivate him to tell Tamkin?
Part 3) How is pride still a factor in Wilhelm's life? How has this pride caused him to get into his current situation?
This section contains 426 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)