|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why can't Wilhelm figure Tamkin out?
2. In Wilhelm's mind, what is the big question regarding Tamkin?
3. What is the purpose of Tamkin's "Here-and-now" exercise?
4. Wilhelm was raised as part of which religion?
5. Who says, "...as a salesman you are basically an artist type. the seller is in the visionary sphere of the business function. And then you're an actor, too."
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many of the events we witness in the story occur because of one factor: pride. Consider the following:
Part 1) Pride was a factor when Wilhelm lost his job at the Rojax Corporation. Why? What happened?
Part 2) Tamkin is the only character who knows exactly why Wilhelm lost his job. Why does Wilhelm tell him? How does his pride motivate him to tell Tamkin?
Part 3) How is pride still a factor in Wilhelm's life? How has this pride caused him to get into his current situation?
Essay Topic 2
Foreshadowing is a literary device that is used quite often in the book.
Part 1) What is foreshadowing?
Part 2) Cite 3 examples of foreshadowing and how they're used in the text.
Part 3) Why is foreshadowing important in this particular story? What effect does it have on us as readers?
Essay Topic 3
The relationship between Tamkin and Wilhelm in particular illustrates how powerfully trust can influence people. Select one topic to write about.
1. One way we learn that Wilhelm is distrustful of Tamkin is through his detailed description of Tamkin's physical appearance. What is significant about this description? What does it reveal about Wilhelm's attitudes toward Tamkin?
2. Tamkin is always telling fantastical stories and announces that "facts are always sensational." What does he mean by this? Does this comment help Wilhelm to trust Tamkin or no? Why or why not?
3. Sometimes we are predisposed to either trust or not trust someone. What specific factors in Wilhelm's life set up his acceptance of Tamkin? Which factors in his life also lead him to question Tamkin's intentions?
This section contains 437 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)