|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Wilhelm needs peace and quiet, where does he go in his mind?
2. How much have Wilhelm and Tamkin invested together?
3. While in Tamkin's room at the hotel, what does Wilhelm notice most about the river?
4. When Wilhelm receives an urgent message from Margaret, what does he believe it is?
5. What advice does Margaret give Wilhelm in Chapter 7?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The relationship between Dr. Adler and Wilhelm is very complex and volatile.
Part 1) Do you think their relationship changes from the beginning of the book to the end? Why or why not?
Part 2) Wilhelm constantly questions his love for his father. Do you think there is love in this relationship? Why do you think that?
Part 3) Does Wilhelm's relationship with his father help us to better understand Wilhelm's character? Why or why not? Cite specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Family plays a significant role throughout the book, particularly the strained relationship between Wilhelm and his father, Dr. Adler. Choose one of the following options to write about:
1) Why is the relationship between Wilhelm and his father strained? What events help define for us the nature of their relationship? Does their relationship change by the end of the book? Why or why not?
2) Minor characters in Wilhelm's family also play a significant role. How do the characters of Catherine, Margaret, and Wilhelm's sons help to define Wilhelm as a character? What do they help us to understand about the story?
3) Compare and contrast Dr. Adler and Wilhelm. How are they the same? How are they different?
Essay Topic 3
The title of the book, Seize the Day, is used twice in the text, by two different characters.
Part 1) What does "seize the day" mean?
Part 2) Who uses the phrase? Is it used differently the first time it's used and the second? Why or why not?
Part 3) Why do you think Saul Bellow chose this title for his book?
This section contains 418 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)