|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Wilhelm late in returning to the stock market?
2. Who pays the check for lunch?
3. What is troubling about the money Tamkin invested?
4. What does Wilhelm find Dr. Adler doing in Chapter 7?
5. According to Tamkin, which two important words begin with M?
Essay Topic 1
In the first chapter, Wilhelm recalls a line of poetry from a college textbook: "Sunk though he be beneath the wat'ry floor..."
Part 1) What do you think this means in the context of the original poem? How does it relate specifically to Wilhelm?
Part 2) This concept of water and sinking reappears throughout the rest of the book. Cite at least 3 examples where this metaphor is used.
Part 3) Why does Wilhelm constantly go back to this line? Why is he so drawn to it?
Essay Topic 2
The relationship between Tamkin and Wilhelm in particular illustrates how powerfully trust can influence people. Select one topic to write about.
1. One way we learn that Wilhelm is distrustful of Tamkin is through his detailed description of Tamkin's physical appearance. What is significant about this description? What does it reveal about Wilhelm's attitudes toward Tamkin?
2. Tamkin is always telling fantastical stories and announces that "facts are always sensational." What does he mean by this? Does this comment help Wilhelm to trust Tamkin or no? Why or why not?
3. Sometimes we are predisposed to either trust or not trust someone. What specific factors in Wilhelm's life set up his acceptance of Tamkin? Which factors in his life also lead him to question Tamkin's intentions?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the story, the narrator employs metaphor as a literary device to help us better understand the text.
Part 1) Cite a metaphor in the text and how it is used to further that scene, or a character's development.
Part 2) Why does that metaphor help us readers?
This section contains 2,047 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)