|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT something Tamkin claims to have done in his life?
2. Why couldn't Tamkin put in the right amount of money for an "equal partnership"?
3. What commodity does Wilhelm think Rappaport should speculate in, given his career?
4. Which character leaves the dining room at the beginning of Chapter 4?
5. How much have Wilhelm and Tamkin invested together?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Persuasion is an important motif throughout the book.
Part 1) How is persuasion used in the book to influence the main character, Wilhelm? Be specific with quotes and examples from the text.
Part 2) What techniques does the narrator use to persuade us, the readers, to feel a certain why? Cite examples of this.
Essay Topic 2
Many of the events we witness in the story occur because of one factor: pride. Consider the following:
Part 1) Pride was a factor when Wilhelm lost his job at the Rojax Corporation. Why? What happened?
Part 2) Tamkin is the only character who knows exactly why Wilhelm lost his job. Why does Wilhelm tell him? How does his pride motivate him to tell Tamkin?
Part 3) How is pride still a factor in Wilhelm's life? How has this pride caused him to get into his current situation?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the story, the narrator employs metaphor as a literary device to help us better understand the text.
Part 1) Cite a metaphor in the text and how it is used to further that scene, or a character's development.
Part 2) Why does that metaphor help us readers?
This section contains 339 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)