|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does Dr. Adler NOT prescribe for Wilhelm to feel better about himself?
2. Why does Wilhelm trust Tamkin?
3. Why does Dr. Adler's daughter, Catherine, want money?
4. Wilhelm receives a complaint from Margaret about what?
5. Why was Dr. Adler never around in Wilhelm's childhood?
Short Essay Questions
1. Tamkin and Wilhelm are equal partners, but Tamkin invested less than Wilhelm. What does Wilhelm think about how Tamkin might use this to his advantage?
2. What strikes Wilhelm most about the dead man?
3. What particular feature of Tamkin does Wilhelm constantly refer to in Chapter 4? And how do they change throughout the chapter?
4. How does Wilhelm find himself at a stranger's funeral in Chapter 7?
5. Describe Wilhelm's first impressions of Maurice Venice, the talent scout who invites Wilhelm to Los Angeles.
6. After he is rejected by Dr. Adler and Margaret in Chapter 7, what does Wilhelm resolve to do with his life?
7. Describe the guests at the Hotel Gloriana.
8. Why does Wilhelm agree to sign a power of attorney document for Tamkin?
9. What is the significance of the power of attorney document that Wilhelm signs for Tamkin?
10. How does Tamkin convince Wilhelm to invest in commodities?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Poetry is quintessential to shaping this story, and reappears throughout the novel. Select one of the following topics:
1. When Wilhelm was sick, Margaret nursed him and read him poetry. In particular, he recalls a few lines of one of the poems she read. What is the significance of this poem? What does it mean for Wilhelm's character development? At what point in the story is this poem revealed? Why is this significant to the story?
2. Before going to the market, Tamkin gives Wilhelm a poem that he claims to have penned just for him. What is the significance of this poem? What does it mean for Wilhelm's character development? At what point in the story is this poem revealed? Why is this significant to the story?
3. Throughout the story, Wilhelm recalls a book of poetry he had read in college. Specifically, it's the line, "Sunk though he be beneath the wat'ry floor." What is the significance of this poem? What does it mean for Wilhelm's character development? Does the meaning of this statement change as we learn more about Wilhelm and the circumstances of his life?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the book, alienation is presented as a theme. Wilhelm is the most striking example of this alienation.
Part 1) How is Wilhelm alienated in this story? To what extent is it his own doing and to what extent is it thrust upon him by the other characters? Why do you think this? Cite specific examples from the text.
Part 2) Many characters in this book are also alienated in their own way. Discuss the characters of Dr. Adler and Tamkin and analyze how they are alienated. Use specific examples from the text.
Part 3) Alienation has a powerful effect on the motivations of our characters. How does alienation affect Wilhelm in the story? Do you think the story would be different if he were not alienated? How would it change?
Essay Topic 3
Dr. Adler and Wilhelm are two important characters in Seize the Day and have a major impact on the course of the story.
Part 1) Compare and contrast the characters of Dr. Adler and Wilhelm. How are they the same? How are they different?
Part 2) How would we see Wilhelm differently if Dr. Adler had never been introduced as a character?
Part 3) Who is the better father, Dr. Adler or Wilhelm? Cite several examples from the book to support your case.
This section contains 956 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)