|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says, "And I want nobody on my back. Get off!"
2. What does Wilhelm think of his father's relationship with this mother?
3. What approach does Dr. Tamkin convince Wilhelm to use in the stock market?
4. What does Wilhelm expect from his father that he can't seem to get?
5. At the beginning of Chapter 3, which character leaves the room first?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 4, Tamkin tells Wilhelm, "Facts always are sensational. I'll say that a second time. Facts always! are sensational!" What is his purpose for making that statement?
2. Is Maurice Venice truly interested in Wilhelm? Why or why not?
3. Why is Wilhelm not more supportive of Catherine's artistic pursuits? What is significant about this?
4. Describe Wilhelm's first impressions of Mr. Perls in Chapter 2.
5. In the beginning of Chapter 2, Wilhelm and Dr. Adler have a conversation about Wilhelm's mother. What do they talk about?
6. Name some of Wilhelm's bad habits that his father cannot stand.
7. How does Wilhelm view himself after speaking with his father?
8. In Chapter 3, Wilhelm talks about his apartment in Roxbury. What appealed to him about this apartment?
9. How does Wilhelm feel about Mr. Rappaport's chicken industry in Chapter 5?
10. Wilhelm tells his father that he won't let the Rojax Corporation get away with pushing him out because, "It's a question of morale." What did he mean to say?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When we meet Wilhelm, he considers himself a complete failure. The motif of failure reappears throughout the book.
Part 1) Why is failure significant in this story? What is Wilhelm's relationship with failure?
Part 2) Sometimes failure is defined by its inverse - success. How does Dr. Adler's success help illuminate not only Wilhelm's failure, but some of his own shortcomings?
Part 3) What does Wilhelm learn from his failure, if anything? Do you think he will apply these lessons to his life beyond the book? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the story, the narrator employs metaphor as a literary device to help us better understand the text.
Part 1) Cite a metaphor in the text and how it is used to further that scene, or a character's development.
Part 2) Why does that metaphor help us readers?
Essay Topic 3
Dr. Adler and Wilhelm are two important characters in Seize the Day and have a major impact on the course of the story.
Part 1) Compare and contrast the characters of Dr. Adler and Wilhelm. How are they the same? How are they different?
Part 2) How would we see Wilhelm differently if Dr. Adler had never been introduced as a character?
Part 3) Who is the better father, Dr. Adler or Wilhelm? Cite several examples from the book to support your case.
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)