|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Wilhelm do to show Dr. Adler how Margaret treats him?
(a) He pulls out his empty pockets.
(b) He hits himself in the head.
(c) He opens up his wallet.
(d) He chokes himself.
2. What does a recommendation from Maurice Venice mean in Hollywood?
(a) A blessing.
(b) A kiss of death.
(c) A sure thing.
(d) It doesn't mean anything.
3. What floor does Mr. Perls live on in the hotel?
(a) The 23rd floor.
(b) Mr. Perls is just visiting the hotel.
(c) The 15th floor.
(d) The 14th floor.
4. What does Wilhelm think of Mr. Perls?
(a) He thinks Mr. Perls is a wonderful old man.
(b) He thinks Mr. Perls is very wise.
(c) He dislikes Mr. Perls because he is very rude.
(d) He finds his look repulsive and resents his presence at breakfast.
5. Who is the only person who believes that Catherine is an artist?
(b) Dr. Adler.
(c) Mr. Perls.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who pressured Maurice Venice to give Wilhelm a shot at Hollywood?
2. According to Tamkin, the best way to win in the market is to:
3. What does Wilhelm eat after Mr. Perls leaves?
4. What floor of the hotel does Wilhelm live on?
5. According to Dr. Adler, why has Wilhelm failed?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 4, Tamkin tells Wilhelm, "Facts always are sensational. I'll say that a second time. Facts always! are sensational!" What is his purpose for making that statement?
2. How does Wilhelm feel about Mr. Rappaport's chicken industry in Chapter 5?
3. Describe Wilhelm's first impressions of Maurice Venice, the talent scout who invites Wilhelm to Los Angeles.
4. What is Wilhelm's opinion on city life?
5. After he is rejected by Dr. Adler and Margaret in Chapter 7, what does Wilhelm resolve to do with his life?
6. How is Dr. Adler's life story different from Wilhelm's?
7. In the beginning of Chapter 7, Wilhelm returns to the Hotel Gloriana. Where does he go in the hotel and what does he find?
8. What are Dr. Adler's and Mr. Perls' impressions of Dr. Tamkin in Chapter 2?
9. What is the significance of the power of attorney document that Wilhelm signs for Tamkin?
10. At the beginning of Chapter 4, Wilhelm yells to himself, "Ass! Idiot! Wild boar! Dumb mule! Slave! Lousy, wallowing hippopotamus!" Which character is he talking about? How do you know that?
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)