|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is an invention of Dr. Tamkin's?
(a) A special hat for fishing boat captains to predict the weather.
(b) An underwater suit for penguins.
(c) A machine that accurately predicts which stocks will rise.
(d) An electrical device for truck drivers to shock them awake when they doze off.
2. Who has Wilhelm by the throat, and is strangling him?
(c) Dr. Adler.
3. Why is Dr. Adler admired by everyone?
(a) Because of his distinguished career as an orthodontist.
(b) Because of his distinguished career as a diagnostician and lecturer in internal medicine.
(c) Because of his distinguished career as a psychologist.
(d) Because his son is remarkably successful.
4. At the beginning of Chapter 3, which character leaves the room first?
(a) Wilhelm Adler.
(b) Mr. Perls.
(c) Maurice Venice.
(d) Dr. Adler.
5. Which of the following does Dr. Adler NOT prescribe for Wilhelm to feel better about himself?
(b) Steam baths.
(d) Prescription drugs.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Wilhelm work as a sales executive?
2. According to Wilhelm, who would Dr. Adler like to be rid of?
3. What is the name of Wilhelm's dog?
4. Which character thinks, ""I am an idiot. I have no reserve."
5. According to Wilhelm, what is the purpose of the lawyers that he and Margaret hired for their divorce?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Wilhelm's relationship with Margaret complicated at this point in the story?
2. Describe Wilhelm's first impressions of Maurice Venice, the talent scout who invites Wilhelm to Los Angeles.
3. After he is rejected by Dr. Adler and Margaret in Chapter 7, what does Wilhelm resolve to do with his life?
4. What particular feature of Tamkin does Wilhelm constantly refer to in Chapter 4? And how do they change throughout the chapter?
5. In the beginning of Chapter 6, Tamkin shares the story of his own father. What is it?
6. Dr. Adler says to Wilhelm, "It doesn't enter your mind that when I die--a year, two years from now--you'll still be here." What does he mean to say and what impression does he give Wilhelm instead?
7. What happens in Chapter 1 when Wilhelm arrives in Los Angeles to start his career as an actor?
8. In Chapter 6, what do we learn about Mr. Rappaport's personal life?
9. Why does Wilhelm call Margaret after seeing Dr. Adler? What does she want?
10. How does Margaret make Wilhelm feel when she harps on him for money?
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)