|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Wilhelm and Tamkin go to the market, what state is Wilhelm in?
2. How does Wilhelm react to seeing the dead man?
(a) He leaves the room.
(b) He laughs.
(c) He screams.
(d) He cries.
3. What does Tamkin brag about to Wilhelm?
(a) He brags about the lives he has saved.
(b) He brags about all the people he knows at the stock market.
(c) He brags about the money he has made in the market.
(d) He brags about all the people he has helped.
4. Which of the following is NOT something Tamkin claims to have done in his life?
(a) He was head of a mental clinic in Toledo.
(b) He worked with a Polish inventor on an unsinkable ship.
(c) He had been in a criminal underworld called the Detroit Purple Gang.
(d) He was a successful extra in Hollywood.
5. According to Tamkin, which two important words begin with M?
(a) Mercy and milk-of-human-kindness.
(b) Mother and machinery.
(c) Money and murder.
(d) Mischief and moreover.
6. Who clears two hundred a week by investing only in soy beans?
(a) Mr. Rappaport.
(b) Mr. Perls.
(c) Mr. Rowland.
7. What is the second thing Wilhelm does in the beginning of Chapter 7?
(a) He goes to the newsstand.
(b) He goes to the dining room at the hotel.
(c) He goes to the health club at the hotel.
(d) He goes to the stock market.
8. What is the result of Wilhelm's talk with Dr. Adler?
(a) They both leave angry.
(b) He tells Wilhelm exactly where to find Tamkin.
(c) He sets Wilhelm up with a new girl.
(d) He gives Wilhelm money to re-invest in the stock market.
9. Wilhelm recalls being sick with the flu. What did he ask Margaret to do for him while he was sick?
(a) Sing to him.
(b) Read poetry to him.
(c) Play gin with him.
(d) Leave him alone.
10. In Wilhelm's mind, what is the big question regarding Tamkin?
(a) Whether Tamkin should marry Catherine.
(b) Whether or not to trust him.
(c) Whether to be his friend.
(d) Whether to have breakfast with him.
11. According to Tamkin, who had once been "the Rockefeller of the chicken business and had retired with a large fortune"?
(a) Mr. Rappaport.
(b) Dr. Adler.
(c) Mr. Perls.
12. At the end of Chapter 6, where does Tamkin look for Wilhelm first?
(a) In the men's bathroom.
(b) In the cafeteria.
(c) He doesn't bother looking for him at all.
(d) In the cigar store.
13. The narrator tells us in Chapter 7: "He heard it and sank deeper than sorrow, through torn sobs and cries toward the consummation of his heart's ultimate need." Who is this statement about?
(a) Dr. Adler.
(b) Mr. Perls.
14. What is the first place Wilhelm and Tamkin go in Chapter 5?
(a) The store.
(b) The brokerage office.
(c) A restaurant.
(d) The newsstand.
15. What does Wilhelm find Dr. Adler doing in Chapter 7?
(a) Taking a dip in the pool.
(b) Getting a massage.
(c) Getting a haircut.
(d) Reading the paper.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Wilhelm secretly hope that Tamkin will do for him?
2. How does Wilhelm arrive at the funeral?
3. What religion was Wilhelm's mother during his childhood?
4. Wilhelm was raised as part of which religion?
5. In reality, in what commodity has Tamkin moved Wilhelm's money?
This section contains 596 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)